Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Bars mean nothing. My job is to develop sites for mobile phones. I have about 40 mobile phones sitting on my desk right now. As an iPhone user on ATT I can tell you that all verizon phones have superior voice by a mile. Everytime I use one of the work verizon phones (on plenty of trips) I know when I'm calling an ATT user because the voice quality is so terrible and lots of background hissing that as an ATT customer you never noticed until you get to use a verizon phone.

If you want a phone that sounds clear for calls, then get a verizon one. If you really need (a feature I've used only once, to be on a call and open a web page) then get an ATT phone.

Just realize that verizon does have a better coverage map, better voice quality (trust me, just ask any of your friends who have verizon to make a call with there phone, it reminds me of a good landline)

My point is this thread turning into a VERIZON vs. ATT thread is stupid and pointless. There both freaking Apple iPhones.

If you don't have the EXACT SAME phone on ATT and Verizon then you are not in a position to comment on the quality of service. PERIOD.

As all the reviews have stated, that the verizon was superior for voice in every SINGLE test performed.

As an ATT iPhone user, I'll keep my att iphone, but I also have a verizon iPhone on the way. Since I develop for both carriers we always optimize for network speeds, and personally i like the hotspot feature that some of the android phones have (but with terrible battery life)

So stop the fighting about verizon vs. as att. They both work equally well, they both are iphones…

I'd say you're wasting your resources if you are testing against 40 different phones, when the bulk of the entire market is now iOS and Android.

ArtsyA

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
IL
I have been working with tech support since 10:30 am. I still don't have my iPhone working. Turns out when it activated, it activated the data and not the voice. So my droid can make calls, and my iphone can browse the web but neither can vice versa.

After talking through, and I kid you not, 3 verizon reps, and 2 tech support people, one who cycled me back to the first verizon rep, the second tech assured me after spending 2 hours with me on the phone that I had to go in store and said hed call me back in 30 minutes after talking to them.

He never called me back, I went in store to activate. They have all had no training on the iPhone whatsoever. I called tech support FROM THE STORE and they informed me my voice ESN did not transfer but my data did and they are going to level 4 or something technical people to get it fixed. I then had to drive home and wait for a call. Its been an hour and he gave me an invalid phone number to call him back at. Im about to get upset

My phone won't activate either. I'm beyond pissed. Going to stay home tomorrow and hope that I can somehow fix it. Going to go the verizon store..not sure how that will do me good though.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
My phone won't activate either. I'm beyond pissed. Going to stay home tomorrow and hope that I can somehow fix it. Going to go the verizon store..not sure how that will do me good though.

Umm, doesn't anyone work in the US of A - I mean, with unemployment going through the roof I would have thought taking time off from work to activate a phone is a sure way of saying to your boss "I don't want my job any more, fire me because my phone is more important".

tmill56

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
OC..
easy

got mine and hooked it right up and it activated without issue, i have been "playing" with it all night, lots of phone calls, not one dropped call, no signal drop and seems just as good as my now former blackberry that had amazing reception, iphone on verizon has made me very happy! best of all i only had to modify my old at&t iphone4 case to fit it. overall very easy transaction!

BrandonKea

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
Omaha, NE
I'd say you're wasting your resources if you are testing against 40 different phones, when the bulk of the entire market is now iOS and Android.

The "bulk" of the market is not in iOS or Android. For every middle/upper class person with a smartphone, there are dozens with the cheap-o Cricket phone, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, etc. Trust me, as a 911 operator, I can tell when I talk to someone on a smartphone, vs when you call in on a Tracphone that sounds like you've used it to stir the meth.

Consequently, when ANI/ALI information is supplied to 911 (on any Wireless 911 call) the carrier pops in. We can tell a HUGE difference between carriers, so much so when we see "Cricket" or "ATT" we're guaranteed to spend at least an extra minute repeating things because we can't hear, or telling people to go outside for better signal.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
The "bulk" of the market is not in iOS or Android. For every middle/upper class person with a smartphone, there are dozens with the cheap-o Cricket phone, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, etc. Trust me, as a 911 operator, I can tell when I talk to someone on a smartphone, vs when you call in on a Tracphone that sounds like you've used it to stir the meth.

Consequently, when ANI/ALI information is supplied to 911 (on any Wireless 911 call) the carrier pops in. We can tell a HUGE difference between carriers, so much so when we see "Cricket" or "ATT" we're guaranteed to spend at least an extra minute repeating things because we can't hear, or telling people to go outside for better signal.

Agreed; there is a reason why Nokia, ZTE and Huawei are some of the largest shippers of phones out there - because the big volume sales are the traditional handsets with maybe a mobile browser if you're lucky - in my case I have a R109 from ZTE, and where I work I see tonnes of them plus the R6, the R9 and R100 from ZTE - all sub $200 phones from the second largest mobile carrier in the country I reside.

In most other countries where phones are fully unlocked and portable you tend to find that very few people have smart phones outside of corporates and a few yuppies who believe they must have a touch screen because it is the 'in thing' to have these days (ignoring the fact that they don't even use half the features of the smart phone).

iTrojan

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
I have a ipod dock connector in my car.
Do any of you know for sure whether it is safe to connect my iphone to that?
Please do not reply "I tried it, it works fine." It may work fine at first while slowly killing the phone. I need to know whether it's actually safe to do so. Anyone knowledgeable in this area?:eek:

ArtsyA

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
IL
Umm, doesn't anyone work in the US of A - I mean, with unemployment going through the roof I would have thought taking time off from work to activate a phone is a sure way of saying to your boss "I don't want my job any more, fire me because my phone is more important".

I am a student..

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City

I guess your job sucks.

ecko04

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
University Park, PA
VZW giving away $200 gift card every hour Thursday 2/10

A little birdie just sent over some information:

I wanted to give you an early heads up that we have a fun promotion about to launch on Facebook this Thursday, February 10. Through the Verizon Facebook page (I imagine you all have “liked” us, please do if you haven’t), you’ll have 24 chances to win a $200 Verizon gift card (coincidently the same price as the 16 GB iPhone 4). We’re giving away one…get this…every hour of the big day. Head over to our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/verizon) on 2/10 to check it out. Please also help spread the word in celebration of the big day!

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

^ Can't we keep the SPAM to Facebook?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I guess your job sucks.

No, it doesn't suck - if an employee of my mine rang up and gave me a sob story of taking time off to activate a phone I'd take the necessary disciplinary action.

I am a student..

I assume when you said, "Going to stay home tomorrow" it implies that you already had something on that day and decided to cancel it - I assume you have no mandatory tutorials or lectures? if you had nothing on that day in terms of classes then technically you already had the day off.

Vizin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
No, it doesn't suck - if an employee of my mine rang up and gave me a sob story of taking time off to activate a phone I'd take the necessary disciplinary action.

You don't have paid vacation where you work? I feel bad for your employees.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii

Are you paid well for being a richardhead, or do you just enjoy it?

Anyway, I had to call support to get my phone activated. There's no shame in that. It was remarkably short. I did it during my lunch break.

The iPhone is going to make me more productive, and increase shareholder value at my job. ;):D

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
apple's online store is currently being worked on right now, saying "we'll be back soon"

i wonder if this means the white iphone is being put up there?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Are you paid well for being a richardhead, or do you just enjoy it?

No, it confuses me for a country that is flushing down the toilet and around the bend there are people living life oblivious to Rome burning down before them (amazing how students can apparently still go on 'summer holidays' down to mexico when I thought tightening ones belt would be a smarter thing to do). Carry on partying - one day you'll wake up and realise there isn't a cinder worth ruling over.

You don't have paid vacation where you work? I feel bad for your employees.

Of course they do but they can't just simply take it off at the last minute; they have to give at least 3 weeks notice before hand.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
No, it confuses me for a country that is flushing down the toilet and around the bend there are people living life oblivious to Rome burning down before them (amazing how students can apparently still go on 'summer holidays' down to mexico when I thought tightening ones belt would be a smarter thing to do). Carry on partying - one day you'll wake up and realise there isn't a cinder worth ruling over.

Of course they do but they can't just simply take it off at the last minute; they have to give at least 3 weeks notice before hand.

So you just enjoy it. I'd demand a raise. You're pretty good at it.

Vizin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
(amazing how students can apparently still go on 'summer holidays' down to mexico when I thought tightening ones belt would be a smarter thing to do)

Actually in a consumer-based economy, spending of excess money is better for things overall than saving. Plus unemployment is going down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.