Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy MBP with faulty SB chipset?

• Total voters

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Saw a poll on a tech blog and found it interesting. So, spill... Would you?

Clarification: this is based on new report that Intel will resume shipment of the faulty chipsets to those computer manufacturers that will only use them in notebooks that won't be affected by the flaw.

Last edited:

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
With faults that effect the MBP? No. Pretty sure that would be illegal, too.

With faults that effect other systems that use the card? Sure.

macmac88

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
If they do ship the MBP with the faulty chipset, that means that Apple chose to use the working SATA ports... The end-user won't notice a difference! :)

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I definitely would. Considering MBP only use two SATA ports anyway, might as well enable the SATA III and give us that speed, or if they won't just have it at 3Gbps, but whatever the case, Two is all we need and get now anyway. So yeah, it would not affect me in one bit.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
That's like asking if you'd buy a 2wd truck that has a known fault with it's 4wd....

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
That's like asking if you'd buy a 2wd truck that has a known fault with it's 4wd....

Umm I would expect that could affect the 2wd functionality if 4wd had issues. I would liken it more to if a car had wiring for headlights, say 4 different connections. Two of the connections allowed for low/high beam connection together and the other two was just for low beams - which were faulty. The faulty two low beam connectors do not need to be utilized since the first two connections allow for low/hi beam already, so that's what's being hooked up while the wiring for the faulty low beam just sat there not needing to be utilized.

This is of course fine for Macbook Pros because so far they only use the TWO SATA connections. Now say a desktop that may use more SATA connections or other laptops, like for e-Sata etc then it could be an issue. Like if a car could use the two faulty low beam connectors to also power fog lights. Then it would be a problem. Thing is current MBP's don't use extra sata/fog lights =D

macmac88

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011

No, you have it all wrong... Its like saying I have six on/off switches and only have two light bulbs. Four of the switches are broken, but there are two that work fine. I only need two switches, so I dont care if the others are broken.

I really dont see what the issue is... =]

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
What's obvious about it? I don't own a Mac, but how many SATA connections do the MBP motherboards even have? If they only have two... how does a faulty chipset affect you in any way?

You got me. It's not obvious. But I still wouldn't buy it.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Makes no difference, because Apple won't knowingly sell you a broken computer. We only need 2 Sata connections anyway, maybe 1 if the MacBook Air really is the future of MacBooks. ;)

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
I'm pretty sure Intel will ship nonfaulty ones esp since they just announced they would be shipping nonfaulty chips start in mid February. The macbook refresh isnt until march 11. I'm sure Apple is on Intel's priority list of clients.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
Umm I would expect that could affect the 2wd functionality if 4wd had issues.

OK, so lets say the 4wd low doesn't work, but the truck is 2wd without a shifter for the transfer case. The point being that it's never used, never seen, and has no effect on usability.

No, you have it all wrong... Its like saying I have six on/off switches and only have two light bulbs. Four of the switches are broken, but there are two that work fine. I only need two switches, so I dont care if the others are broken.

I really dont see what the issue is... =]

Agreed.

Bottom line, it's a non-issue for laptops. I can understand a manufacturer not being willing to ship something with the stigma of being 'flawed' even if the flaw is unnoticeable. Anyone that would refuse to buy because of the flaw that has no bearing on a laptop is an idiot.

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Im not too sure about this one, i mean i am eagerly awaiting these new MBP's like everyone else here, and was actually planning on snatching them the first minute they ship... but i must admit there is something a little off putting about having a faulty chipset EVEN if the faulty ports aren't used.. this is a brand new chip generation, and i don't want to be a beta tester for a already proven flawed product, i already feel d#cked by apple with the whole iphone antennagate problem ( i'm a lefty and have to use a stupid looking bumper to make calls on my 500 euro jesus4 phone ).

i'm not trying to imply these issues are related, but let's face it, apple can behave kind of shady, and if they use these faulty chips, you can be sure they got a great discount on them, and therefore should offer the first batch at an according lower price and/or offer extended apple care... otherwise i will simply just wait for the following (hopefully) flawless second batch...

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
i'm not trying to imply these issues are related, but let's face it, apple can behave kind of shady, and if they use these faulty chips, you can be sure they got a great discount on them, and therefore should offer the first batch at an according lower price and/or offer extended apple care... otherwise i will simply just wait for the following (hopefully) flawless second batch...

Nope, Intel has already stated they are not giving discounts on the chipsets.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I look at it this way. The predicted error rate if using the bad ports is 5% over the next 3-4 years (read that somewhere).

Predicted error rate if NOT using the bad ports? 0%.

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
didn't those reports last week mention the faulty ports required a "silicon fix" ?? that really doesn't sound good... even if the faulty ports aren't used, do you really wanna take the risk of having loose parts floating in your mbp? that can't be good in the long run, although i could be off base here..

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
@macdud, Intel's chipset is a monolithic device. This wasn't a loose parts issue.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
didn't those reports last week mention the faulty ports required a "silicon fix" ?? that really doesn't sound good... even if the faulty ports aren't used, do you really wanna take the risk of having loose parts floating in your mbp? that can't be good in the long run, although i could be off base here..

Hee. We aren't talking leaking breast implants here.

macmac88

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
well honestly, people are just going to buy it anyways.

there is probably no way for the end-user to tell if they got one of the faulty chips.

maybe people will assume that apple wont use faulty chips but there is no way to be sure...

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
lolz.... well i admit my chipset assembly knowledge is limited..

i just don't understand why apple would risk the potentially huge bad damage from getting bad rep for using faulty chips when the flawless ones are expected in just a couple weeks??

i mean the current tech headlines if you search in google are already all reading "INTEL SELLING FAULTY CHIPS AGAIN" and that's just not a good look, even if a workaround is being used... also it doesn't make sense why intel wouldnt sell the faulty chipsets at a discount?? greedy ba$t@rd$

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
lolz.... well i admit my chipset assembly knowledge is limited..

i just don't understand why apple would risk the potentially huge bad damage from getting bad rep for using faulty chips when the flawless ones are expected in just a couple weeks??

i mean the current tech headlines if you search in google are already all reading "INTEL SELLING FAULTY CHIPS AGAIN" and that's just not a good look, even if a workaround is being used... also it doesn't make sense why intel wouldnt sell the faulty chipsets at a discount?? greedy ba$t@rd$

No one said that's what is happening... we're just speculating.

But you do realize that there's no guarantee the second round will be flawless, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.