Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy MBP with faulty SB chipset?

• Total voters

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
obviously we are speculating, i am just counter arguing certain speculations..

the poll you started here alone is currently at 46% wouldnt buy, and people here are a gazillion times more tech savvy than your ordinary consumer, you can bet if the same question was asked in lets say usa today, that percentage of no would clime up to 99%... so it just sounds illogic to me that apple would take that risk, but intel is for sure selling those faulty chips to someone, so who knows..

But you do realize that there's no guarantee the second round will be flawless, right?

i meant flawless as in the faulty sata ports issue will be fixed, should there be anything else to be worried about??

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
the poll you started here alone is currently at 46% wouldnt buy, and people here are a gazillion times more tech savvy than your ordinary consumer, you can bet if the same question was asked in lets say usa today, that percentage of no would clime up to 99%... so it just sounds illogic to me that apple would take that risk, but intel is for sure selling those faulty chips to someone, so who knows..??

Without putting too fine a point on it, I don't doubt that there are more tech-savvy people here, but from some of the threads I see here, I'm not thinking it's a majority. ;)

i meant flawless as in the faulty sata ports issue will be fixed, should there be anything else to be worried about??

Never say never, kiddo. A little over a week ago, we would have all been scoffing at anyone who said that SB would be going through a major recall right now. Call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if a year or two into it, other issues crop up. Even with the second string.

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Never say never, kiddo. A little over a week ago, we would have all been scoffing at anyone who said that SB would be going through a major recall right now. Call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if a year or two into it, other issues crop up. Even with the second string.

just another reason not to buy the first batch, which actually is a rule of thumb, never buy the first batch...especially when its already proven to contain defects and the revised version is only a few weeks away.. now if you have doubts on the second batch, and perhaps indeed we should.. well um thats what they invented apple care for i guess.. ;)

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like to live dangerously!

Check out front page article quick, before Verizon does something else to bump it.

macmac88

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
obviously we are speculating, i am just counter arguing certain speculations..

the poll you started here alone is currently at 46% wouldnt buy, and people here are a gazillion times more tech savvy than your ordinary consumer, you can bet if the same question was asked in lets say usa today, that percentage of no would clime up to 99%... so it just sounds illogic to me that apple would take that risk, but intel is for sure selling those faulty chips to someone, so who knows..

In reality, 99% of the people dont know anything about the issue.
I say that Apple isnt taking too much risk selling these faulty chips...

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
"It was the result of a series of stress tests conducted on the chipset. It didn't show up under normal testing," explained Intel spokesman Chuck Mulloy. "The problem wouldn't happen immediately but after two to four years."

Only SATA2 ports are affected, SATA3 remains unaffected. Apple can use SATA3!
Or our shiny MBP Sandy Bridge is delayed.

Last edited:

Treeman574

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
QLD, Australia
I would buy, but only if as most users say, it won't affect the normal operations of the mbp. I would only buy if it had a full warranty to cover any other problems that might arise.

iWolf00

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Applecare is must!!

I will add applecare to my cart, if I am going to buy MBP with SB even if intel fix this issue completely. My MBP 3.1 has faulty nvidia chip; and my MBP's logic board failed. At that time I was confused whether to scrap my MBP or to fix it.
I believe apple must be so lucky because intel found this issue before they start selling faulty MBP

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Apple only puts two SATA devices in their notebooks so all they have to do is connect them both to the SATA III ports and nobody would ever be able to make the problem show up even if they tried. If they begin using E-SATA ports, which I would really like, the chipset then becomes an issue.

Even if it doesn't directly affect me, after the 8600m GT problem and the iPhone antennae, I am fed up of defective parts. I would not feel comfortable having more problematic components in my computer but I don't believe that Apple would knowingly put a faulty component in.

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
Apple only puts two SATA devices in their notebooks so all they have to do is connect them both to the SATA III ports and nobody would ever be able to make the problem show up even if they tried. If they begin using E-SATA ports, which I would really like, the chipset then becomes an issue.

Even if it doesn't directly affect me, after the 8600m GT problem and the iPhone antennae, I am fed up of defective parts. I would not feel comfortable having more problematic components in my computer but I don't believe that Apple would knowingly put a faulty component in.

i doubt they would incorporate esata port on the next refresh .
so far two sata ports look more than abundant

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I would DEFINITELY buy Applecare. Didn't with the current MBP, but given all of the Dirty Feet issues, would be tempting fate not to have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.