Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

165825-macbook_pro_2010_lineup.jpg

Reports of tightening supplies for Apple's MacBook Pro models continue today, with one reader letting us know that he was just informed by Apple that a replacement for his faulty machine will likely not be available for 4-6 weeks, and possibly as long as 8 weeks.

The long lead time was reportedly cited for a replacement on a custom-configured MacBook Pro carrying the top-of-the-line 2.8 GHz Core i7 processor, and models with both traditional hard drives and solid state drives have been said to be subject to the same shipping timeframes.

Considering the long wait times, Apple offered the customer the option of waiting for replacement model to come available, a full refund, or a replacement with a standard configuration that would be more readily available.

Despite some hints that a MacBook Pro refresh may occur in the near future, questions have been raised about whether a design error with the chips expected to be used in the updated models would delay a potential launch. But just yesterday Intel announced that it will begin shipping the dual-core Sandy Bridge chips that would presumably appear in the MacBook Pro on February 20th, meaning that Apple could release updated machines relatively soon after.

Article Link: MacBook Pro Shortages Continue as Apple Struggles to Deliver Replacement Machines

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Note to those wanting to pull the trigger: There will almost definitely be quad cores in the refresh after this one that could be here as soon as late 2011.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
Note to those wanting to pull the trigger: There will almost definitely be quad cores in the refresh after this one that could be here as soon as late 2011.

No doubt. However, to those who won't be running processor-intensive applications, that won't be an issue.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Timing is going to be off. They stopped making current MacBook Pros but the new Macbook Pros are slightly delayed because of the intel mothboard chip flaw affecting the first round of Sandy Bridge chipsets.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

I doubt Ivy Bridge will be with us before the start of 2012, especially given Sandy Bridge's delay. Quad core isn't a sure thing until Haswell, which is a native quad-core architecture.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
i call feb 22th!
It will take more than two days for Apple to ramp up production of Sandy Bridge-based systems for a responsible and sane global launch of new MacBook Pros.

Apple may want to qualify the part themselves before ramping into what would be several weeks of production before launch. My guess is 4-6 weeks after February 20 (when Sandy Bridge ships) before Apple product hits store shelves.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I doubt Ivy Bridge will be with us before the start of 2012, especially given Sandy Bridge's delay. Quad core isn't a sure thing until Haswell, which is a native quad-core architecture.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/02/04/news-and-confirmations-about-the-ivy-bridge

Latest news articles say otherwise.

Typical die shrink history:
Merom to Penryn 10W reduction
Clarksfield to Arrandale 10W reduction
Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge 10W reduction

If you think quad cores aren't happening in the refresh after this one then you are living in a dream. ;)

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
Maybe I'll finally get rid of the 2004 PowerBook G4 and pick up a new machine.

But then I'm sure there's something I won't like about this next set of MBPs and just wait again, haha.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
My original Unibody Macbook (non pro but looks like what they now call pro) is hanging in there still, and I don't have any desire to upgrade yet. I am actually impressed at how long this computer has been lasting me.

Although those i7s seem pretty nice....

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Unless it's something amazing, I think I'll pass on this one. My 2006 C2D MBP is still going strong, and I'm hoping it'll get me through college for the next four years. Maybe at the end of college I'll upgrade, so I can use my student discount :D

epicshredder

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
Boulder, Co
Apple custom ordered processors?

Does anyone think Apple may get the chips before the official ship date announced by Intel? Is the Intel ship date based on general public trying to get the SB's?
One could only assume huge corporations like Apple and Intel would negotiate different shipping times than the general public?

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010

Knowing this is the only thing probably keeping me from probably buying one of these. I'll have to test these out, see the specs, and see any potential redesign. Their line "MacBook Air: The Next Generation of MacBooks" from when the new Air was announced is making me wonder...and I lose my student discount after May ugh.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If I had to wait 4 to 6 weeks for a replacement for my broken machine I'd be rather pissed!

My original Unibody Macbook (non pro but looks like what they now call pro) is hanging in there still, and I don't have any desire to upgrade yet. I am actually impressed at how long this computer has been lasting me.

Although those i7s seem pretty nice....

Agree - I have the last iteration of the Macbook pro before the unibody.. nearly 3 years later it still performs extremely well. I couldn't say that for my PPC laptop which was disappointing from the day I bought it.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/02/04/news-and-confirmations-about-the-ivy-bridge

If you think quad cores aren't happening in the refresh after this one then you are living in a dream. ;)

Yeah quad core is definitely coming with the 22nm Ivy Bridge architecture. I'd be shocked if Ivy Bridge's power usage was still too high to support a quad core MBP.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Your news article makes no mention of a reduced TDP.

There were no Merom or Penryn quad cores. Clarksfield was 45W/55W. There are no Arrandale quad cores. Sandy Bridge quad cores are again 45W/55W. Unless Apple ups the TDP they allow for MBP processors, quad cores aren't happening until Haswell most likely.

I'd love to be proven wrong and shown that Ivy Bridge quad cores will be 35W, but I've seen no article to that effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.