Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
This doesn't seem very likely. It would be an 8 month refresh cycle which is too short for Apple. Plus, no way Apple would make the iPhone 5 share the limelight with something else..

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Not happy Jan - only just purchased a brand new MBA 13" / 128GB / 1.8GHZ C2D / 4GB RAM which is on its way from China (factory) as we speak, courtesy of the Apple Store Australia.

Last edited:

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Not happy Jan - only just purchased a MBA 13" / 128GB / 1.8GHZ C2D / 4MB RAM which is on its way from China (factory) as we speak.

Haha. My 11" refurb is slated to arrive tomorrow as well. As I said, it really isn't likely quite so soon. I think October again would be safer for Apple.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
This doesn't seem very likely. It would be an 8 month refresh cycle which is too short for Apple. Plus, no way Apple would make the iPhone 5 share the limelight with something else..

8 months is perfect and right in line for the beginning of the back to school cycle.

hopefully bettery battery life and the lighted keyboard among other improvements.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
8 months is perfect and right in line for the beginning of the back to school cycle.

hopefully bettery battery life and the lighted keyboard among other improvements.

I would hope so.

Now I am even more confused, do I get the refreshed MBP or wait for the ref MBA, but who wants to wait another 4 months :(

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Let's hope Apple does the right thing and puts the backlit-keyboard BACK into the MBA.

My Rev.C MBA w/ 100 gig SSD, 2.13GHz chip and backlit-keyboard are still running strong, and will continue to do so until Apple reinstates the backlit-keyboard.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Let's hope Apple does the right thing and puts the backlit-keyboard BACK into the MBA.

My Rev.C MBA w/ 100 gig SSD, 2.13GHz chip and backlit-keyboard are still running strong, and will continue to do so until Apple reinstates the backlit-keyboard.

Agreed. In their first Macbook Air ad, they specifically say "the backlight keyboard is ideal for flights etc..." and the newer one doesn't have any, really?! We need lights!

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
We'll see I guess. But updating to SB means Apple would be stuck with only Intel HD graphics in the Airs (def no room for a discrete).

iNotion

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Singapore
1 month after iPhone 4, everyone keep buzzing about iPhone 5...

new Macbook air in June... i seriously doubt so.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
1 month after iPhone 4, everyone keep buzzing about iPhone 5...

new Macbook air in June... i seriously doubt so.

My thoughts exactly. But, we new MBA owners might just be in denial and feeling bitter. As I said, we'll see. Rumors predicting dates this early are rarely accurate..

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
We'll see I guess. But updating to SB means Apple would be stuck with only Intel HD graphics in the Airs (def no room for a discrete).

Exactly. This will be a lateral move. CPU-intensive tasks will be faster, but streaming video and gaming will be about the same or slightly worse. The update makes sense from a supply perspective. Apple needs to switch to Sandy Bridge since the C2D is out of production and there is no way they can keep supplying 2 models of MacBook Air, the MacBook, the 13" Pro, and Mini lines with it.

That said, an 11" with a Sandy Bridge is definitely more appealing to me than the 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo...

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
O god... Did I just hear intel graphic card?

Get me out of here. I don't care what apple says, intel says, or even Steve says on this issue. INTEL CANNOT MAKE GRAPHICS CARD, PERIOD.

Their graphic card is so awful. Help me god.

Sandy Bridge processor is still dual core. Yes, we will see the performance improvements in certain things...

But, that GPU.... Wow.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
O god... Did I just hear intel graphic card?

Get me out of here. I don't care what apple says, intel says, or even Steve says on this issue. INTEL CANNOT MAKE GRAPHICS CARD, PERIOD.

Their graphic card is so awful. Help me god.

Sandy Bridge processor is still dual core. Yes, we will see the performance improvements in certain things...

But, that GPU.... Wow.

Take it easy champ. I know people say things to make themselves feel better about their purchase but that was a tad bit too dramatic.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
INTEGRATED GPU

The Sandy Bridge Intel graphics chipset is on par with the peformance of the Geforce 9400m in the last generation macbook air (not current).

Any benefit the new processor bump gives you with SandyBridge will be offset against those integrated graphics.

What this means for the end consumer is that give or take it is a comparable experience to present users with the Oct 2010 refresh models, those that whilst having an older chipset (core2duo) have the benefits of the Geforce 320m gpu which is better than the integrated solution in SandyBridge.

Remember OSX and applications like iLife etc. offload a lot of stuff to the gpu.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Take it easy champ. I know people say things to make themselves feel better about their purchase but that was a tad bit too dramatic.

This has nothing to do with purchase...

Every technology gets outdated. Your point is?

Expression should be that dramatic because that is how much intel sucks with graphics card. Have you used them before? I have and I returned it next day.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
This has nothing to do with purchase...

Every technology gets outdated. Your point is?

Expression should be that dramatic because that is how much intel sucks with graphics card. Have you used them before? I have and I returned it next day.

congratulations

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
I am so glad there is going to be refresh!
I have had terrible battery problems with the 11" and apple is going to let me return it. I was about to get another one, but now I think that it would be very wise to wait. Thank goodness for macrumors, saved me again from getting the older tech.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I am so glad there is going to be refresh!
I have had terrible battery problems with the 11" and apple is going to let me return it. I was about to get another one, but now I think that it would be very wise to wait. Thank goodness for macrumors, saved me again from getting the older tech.

You mention Apple will let you return it, will you keep it till June and then return it?

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
You mention Apple will let you return it, will you keep it till June and then return it?

No, we have enough corporate computers around that I can get by for a few more months. This isnt for home or school use, it is large enterprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.