Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal has updated their previous story, adding some new details about the rumored smaller iPhone.
The person who saw the prototype of the new iPhone said the device was significantly lighter than the iPhone 4 and had an edge-to-edge screen that could be manipulated by touch, as well as a virtual keyboard and voice-based navigation. The person said Apple, based in Cupertino, Calif., also plans to upgrade the iPhone 4.
The new phone is said to have an "edge to edge" screen with (obviously) a touch interface. The one possibly new feature appears to be "voice navigation". Apple already offers some rudimentary Voice Control with the current iPhone, so it's not clear if this voice navigation is something really new. The newspaper also adds that the iPhone 4 is also expected to be updated.

Article Link: Small iPhone to Have Edge to Edge Screen, Voice Navigation?

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Unless it's going to be a device with just a few redesigned native apps -- and not connected to the App Store ecosystem -- then this is not something that's going to happen. The current iPhone OS and app user interfaces cannot shrink without the user experience going to hell.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So instead of a bigger screen we'll have the option to opt for a smaller screen? Nice.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Voice based navigation?
How is that going to work with a lot of background noise outside?

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
English isn't my first language so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is an edge to edge screen? And how does it differ from what we have in iPhone's today?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Unless it's going to be a device with just a few redesigned native apps -- and not connected to the App Store ecosystem -- then this is not something that's going to happen. The current iPhone OS and app user interfaces cannot shrink without the user experience going to hell.

Unless it had the same resolution as the first three generations of iPhone (480x320).

(edited as pointed out by alectheking)

HahaHaha321

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
English isn't my first language so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is an edge to edge screen? And how does it differ from what we have in iPhone's today?

No home button, basically. Just a giant glass slate without a border.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

I'm guessing it means no black bezel on the face of the screen, which should've been done already.

iPhone 4 gets updated with a new "edge to edge" screen? How? Via software update?

Enter 4GS ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

andrew0122

macrumors regular
Why can't we get a slightly LARGER iPhone? . . . All I'm asking for is a 3.7" or a 4". . .

Dear :apple:,

I'm Kind of a BIG deal. :cool: (Meaning I have larger hands...) :rolleyes: I'm not asking for much, but if you're going to actually make a 'nano' version, make the standard-sized just a wee bit larger.

Sincerely,
Andrew0122

PS: Now please take my moniez for a pre-order and let me get it 2-3 days before the masses. THANKS!

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
you mean 480x320.

Even then, it's not the resolution that's the point. The interface and apps are designed for a 3.5" display. Any smaller and they wouldn't work properly. Buttons would be too small to press etc., meaning that the current apps in the App Store wouldn't be compatible.

If this phone really does get released, I'm guessing it'll run iOS in a similar way to how the iPod nano currently does (its own few apps and no access to the App Store).

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Wow, so many iPhone nano rumours at once! I think it is coming to fruition after all. :eek:

I wouldn't say that. It's all coming from the same source (WSJ) and they could easily be wrong, especially when the rumor is supposedly 6+ months out...

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I'm guessing it means no black bezel on the face of the screen, which should've been done already.

You need the bezel to hold the phone without touching the display, much like how the iPad has a thick bezel around its display.

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Don't forget, Apple purchased...

...the AI based electronic butler service a year or so ago. I forget the name of the company (although I did know the founders!) and it allows you to issue spoken commands in natural English. IE, "Book appointment at hotel XYZ from START DATE to END DATE" etc.

And being the service is cloud based (I believe), it could (like Google voice search) work on any connected device.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I wouldn't say that. It's all coming from the same source (WSJ) and they could easily be wrong, especially when the rumor is supposedly 6+ months out...

Given the level of details, at least a prototype exists. Whether it comes to market or not is the question.

If it hits production, this is a big leak. I am sure people at Apple are not too pleased about this.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
So if i have this right, then in the next few months we'll be seeing..

iPad 2
MacBook Pro refresh
iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4GS or whatever it'll be called)
iPhone Nano (with edge to edge screen) (or whatever it'll be called)
iOS 5
Mac OS X 10.7
Free MobileMe
iTunes air sync

wow..this is amazing.

I really like the idea of a smaller phone, but i think "half-size" is cutting it too small, but we'll see. This is gonna be a huge blow to Android, as Apple will now be competing against the amount of iPhones in the market with the iPhone Nano, along with the specs of the Android devices as well with the iPhone 5.
Both possibly running a polished iOS 5.

And for all of us with Macs, we'll be seeing Lion be released, and maybe iOS 5 and Lion will have some sort of syncing ability or something. Their releases seem pretty close by.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
So if i have this right, then in the next few months we'll be seeing..

iPad 2
iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4GS or whatever it'll be called)
iPhone Nano (with edge to edge screen) (or whatever it'll be called)
iOS 5
Mac OS X 10.7
Free MobileMe
iTunes air sync

wow..this is amazing.

I really like the idea of a smaller phone, but i think "half-size" is cutting it too small, but we'll see. This is gonna be a huge blow to the Android, as Apple will now be competing against the amount of iPhones in the market with the iPhone Nano, along with the specs of the Android devices as well with the iPhone 5.
Both possibly running a polished iOS 5.

And for all of us with Macs, we'll be seeing Lion be released, and maybe iOS 5 and Lion will have some sort of syncing ability or something. Their releases seem pretty close by.

You're forgetting the MBP refresh...

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
Would love to see the top and bottom black edging shrink or almost disappear. I've wanted that since the first iPhone.

I see some mentioning they want a bigger screen... to each their own but I would never want anything bigger than the current iPhone. It's PHONE.. not a tablet or a laptop. I see people with the 4" Droids and it makes me laugh. Looks ridiculous. I'm fine with options, but as long as they don't ever bring the standard size up. That would stink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.