Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
i will need a pb by next august at the lattest for college. Will there be updates by then that can be shipped to me b4 august? I dont really need it now, but If there wolnt be updates before then, I dont want to be wasting my time on a pc. thanks

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
just get one. there's no guarantee. the last update took a year - since new ones were introduced just a while ago, now is a pretty darn good time to get one.

minor price drop/update may happen before august. but then, given the track record of apple shipping, i wouldn't count on being able to make sure you have a PB "soon" after an update.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
They were just updated. As to when the next update who knows. On paper it sounds like around that time but considering it was about 10 months for the last update they are getting rather unpredictable. I think it is taking a while because Apple DESPERATLY wants to put a G5 in them. Idealy they will do this at WWDC but honestly it looks less and less likely. Paris is more likely than WWDC and that in September. Even if you ordered it at the moment Steve presented it you will no doubt have to wait a while before its actually delivered.

I would say just buy one now, or get an iBook or Mac mini to tide you over until then.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Yes, any major update would cause massive order delays and you won't get it for probably 3+ weeks after availability (which is not always the same time as announcement).

However, the other thing to think about is that waiting for at least an official Tiger release date (if not the actual release) will allow you to get Tiger either for free or for a minor upgrade fee. Right now, you'll be looking at $129 upgrade (proabably). I think Tiger will be worth the upgrade, but you can decide that for yourself. Of course, $129 may well be worth not having to deal with Windows headaches for the next few months.

ckpg99

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2004
Mission, KS
tiger student pricing

you should be able to get tiger for much cheaper than $129 when it comes out if you're a college student. Current student pricing for panther is $69. Just something to think about.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
well i guess its smart to get a pb now instead of waiting, but I will be irritated if they do something like put a new graphics card in or something b4 i go to college, but then again ill also be mad if nothing happens by the time i go and im wasste even more time wiht my pc.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Wait for the G5 PowerMac updates in the next few weeks; that should hold you over for quite some time ...

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
The powebooks were just updated and people are still constantly asking about when they'll be updated again...

...WHAT ABOUT THE POWERMACS!?!?! :( :( :(

(no offense to the original poster, just venting some frustration about whether to stay in the waiting game for the next powermac rev :eek: )

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
lol, dont worry about it. the main reason that I think you will find most ppl so anxious about the powerbooks is because they really arent up to speed comparativly speaking when it comes to the pc laptops out, and the powermacs are deff up to speed with the current pc towers out there, if not faster. Ill take a dual 2.5ghz processor with over 1ghz fsb over any hyper threading 3.6ghz piece of junk anyday.

now back to my post...lol ;)

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Dr. Dastardly said:
They were just updated. As to when the next update who knows. On paper it sounds like around that time but considering it was about 10 months for the last update they are getting rather unpredictable. I think it is taking a while because Apple DESPERATLY wants to put a G5 in them. Idealy they will do this at WWDC but honestly it looks less and less likely. Paris is more likely than WWDC and that in September. Even if you ordered it at the moment Steve presented it you will no doubt have to wait a while before its actually delivered.

I would say just buy one now, or get an iBook or Mac mini to tide you over until then.
As long as they make the 15 inch thinner again like the tibook was, ill be happy. :D Why did they make the aluminum powerbook thicker than its predecessor? If thats how you spell it.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
maya said:
TS inside info says that there might be a PBG5 released at WWDC '05, due to they insiders wording. ;) :)

Really? It's hard to remember when TS was wrong...got a link?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.