Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
MLB.com At Bat 2011 for the iPad was released last night. Spring training games start tomorrow. Yeahooooo....

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
That was a bit annoying...bought it for my iPad, and then bought it for my iPhone (using the same itunes account), and that's me down $30 :eek:

Can't believe that they charge $15 for each of the iPhone and iPad versions. Why the heck can't they just release a common iPad/iPhone app so that you can have it on both devices for the one purchase.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
That was a bit annoying...bought it for my iPad, and then bought it for my iPhone (using the same itunes account), and that's me down $30 :eek:

Can't believe that they charge $15 for each of the iPhone and iPad versions. Why the heck can't they just release a common iPad/iPhone app so that you can have it on both devices for the one purchase.

They won't make it universal because they know you will buy both. Double the profit.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

Same :( They know you/we/me are going to buy both. Damn you MLB!! You take enough of my $$. lol. I have MLBTV also and go to 10-15 games a year + Post Season.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
They won't make it universal because they know you will buy both. Double the profit.

To be honest. I actually thought it was going to be "free" seeing as I had already just bought it for my iPad. I didn't expect another $15 to come off my iTunes balance.

If I had known, I wouldn't have bothered with the iPhone version. I only installed that for the rare occasion that I don't happen to have my iPad with me.

Never mind...live & learn, I suppose :rolleyes:

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Don't suppose anyone knows of any MLB TV discount coupons doing the rounds at the mo?

I missed the $99 Premium offer at Christmas, so it's looking like I might have to fork out the full $120 :eek:

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
To be honest. I actually thought it was going to be "free" seeing as I had already just bought it for my iPad. I didn't expect another $15 to come off my iTunes balance.

If I had known, I wouldn't have bothered with the iPhone version. I only installed that for the rare occasion that I don't happen to have my iPad with me.

Never mind...live & learn, I suppose :rolleyes:

I agree that it should definitely be universal for the price, but it seems like everyone is adding HD to the end of their app and making it non universal. I don't like MLBs greed with this app. I'll stay away.

casedogg311

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone having a problem getting live games to play? My ipad app crashes and my iPhone app just never loads the video.

Both are jailbroken

casedogg311

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
I just tested it on my girlfriends un-jailbroken iPhone 4 and it played fine.

Seems this app doesn't play video on jailbroken devices.

KevinM2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I actually thought that MLB.tv might have had an opening day subscription offer, but looks like they didn't.

Looks like it's the full $120 (plus $15 for the iPad MLB at Bat, plus the $15 for the iPhone MLB at Bat)

route42nj

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I usually order the MLB Extra Innings through my cable provider but I really don't like hearing the other teams broadcast crew and Extra Innings usually doesn't give you the option of picking which feed you get. Additionally most of the games are in standard def which sucks when you pay $180 for the package.

I use to subscribe to MLB TV online a few years ago and I remember you could pick your choice of feed on every game.

My question pertaining to the MLB App for iPad is two-fold:

1 - Is the MLB App that good? Are the games in HD?

2 - Is there a way I can play the games from my iPad to my TV and get good quality?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I'm not only new to the iPad, but new to Apple.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I usually order the MLB Extra Innings through my cable provider but I really don't like hearing the other teams broadcast crew and Extra Innings usually doesn't give you the option of picking which feed you get. Additionally most of the games are in standard def which sucks when you pay $180 for the package.

I use to subscribe to MLB TV online a few years ago and I remember you could pick your choice of feed on every game.

My question pertaining to the MLB App for iPad is two-fold:

2 - Is there a way I can play the games from my iPad to my TV and get good quality?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I'm not only new to the iPad, but new to Apple.

Yes, it is a good app. Especially on iPad. Games are in HD. AirPlay is NOT supported so no, you can't push a game to the big screen. However Apple TV 2 does support MLB.TV...

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010

I love the app. Now I only wish I got the season, instead of just a monthly plan :( I was not sure, so I decided to only try it for a month...

You can get only the audio to play on the TV via AirPlay... I have not tried the hdmi mirroring, so I have no clue about that.

One thing to realize about MLB.tv is the blackout policy... You may want to make sure you'll be able to see the games you want before jumping in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.