PDA

View Full Version : removing apps from Launchpad

gumblecosby
Feb 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
How do you do this? Dragging to the trash while in Launchpad does not work. I have duplicate apps from 2 partitions on it.

Also, swiping with 2 fingers over a dock icon activates expose for each app. I did not know that.

jaygen
Feb 25, 2011, 07:23 PM
I figured out how to do this but it's kinda technical. For me, I wanted to delete all the old Parallels windows app links. :cool:

First, you're going to need an SQLite database editor. I suggest SQLite Database Browser from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/files/sqlitebrowser/2.0%20beta1/sqlitebrowser_200_b1_osx.zip/download?use_mirror=softlayer

The Database that has Launchpad items is located in:
~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/

It is named something like XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db

You need to copy that database over to your documents folder and edit it from there like this:
cp XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db ~/Documents/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db.bak

Then open it in the SQLite browser and execute a query that will delete the items you don't want from the items and apps tables.

Example for Parallels windows app links:
DELETE FROM `items` WHERE `rowid` IN (SELECT `item_id` FROM `apps` WHERE `bundleid` LIKE 'com.parallels.winapp%');
DELETE FROM `apps` WHERE `bundleid` LIKE 'com.parallels.winapp%';

After that is done, you save the file and copy it back to the folder it came from... making sure to back up the original.
cp XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db.bak
mv ~/Documents/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db

Then you need to open up terminal and do a killall Dock... or force the Dock process to quit from the Activity Monitor. Then those problem icons will be gone. :D If you have any questions let me know.

Maclver
Feb 25, 2011, 08:07 PM
How do you do this? Dragging to the trash while in Launchpad does not work. I have duplicate apps from 2 partitions on it.

Also, swiping with 2 fingers over a dock icon activates expose for each app. I did not know that.

Go to ~/Library Application support Dock and delete the file in there, log out and back in.....

That will reset the launchpad and erase the apps you don't have..

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 08:13 PM
Go to ~/Library Application support Dock and delete the file in there, log out and back in.....

That will reset the launchpad and erase the apps you don't have..

You have to unhide the Library folder in the Home folder first.

Maclver
Feb 25, 2011, 08:17 PM
You have to unhide the Library folder in the Home folder first.

no you don't just go to "GO' at the top (when in finder) "Go to folder" and type in ~/Library

celticpride678
Feb 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
no you don't just go to "GO' at the top (when in finder) and type in ~/Library

Or you can do that. :p

Blakeasd
Feb 25, 2011, 09:52 PM
Currently a UI has not been built for the removal of Applications in Launchpad.

Maclver
Feb 25, 2011, 10:02 PM

But deleting the file in Application Support will have to do until the next seed is released

andrew.gw
Feb 27, 2011, 05:31 PM
Actually I've found that you don't even need to log out just launch the Terminal and type "killall Dock". :)

Bumppoman
Feb 27, 2011, 06:48 PM
Just hold Command+Option+Control and click, that will delete it.

karsten
Feb 27, 2011, 07:12 PM
how do you add stuff to it? say i want to add a link to the Documents folder

Maclver
Feb 27, 2011, 07:14 PM
how do you add stuff to it? say i want to add a link to the Documents folder

Currently you can't, its just a app launcher currently...

LutzRFrank
Mar 1, 2011, 07:08 AM
have you tried clicking an Icon with Ctrl-Alt-Cmd pressed. It removes the icon from the launchpad immediately

Michaelgtrusa
Mar 1, 2011, 07:42 AM

What I was thinking.

antmarobel
Mar 1, 2011, 08:51 AM
have you tried clicking an Icon with Ctrl-Alt-Cmd pressed. It removes the icon from the launchpad immediately

Thanks for the tip.

fredsarran
Mar 1, 2011, 04:07 PM

Great, thanks a lot. Do you know a trick to add apps and to delete folders ?

grgarside
Mar 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
Great, thanks a lot. Do you know a trick to add apps and to delete folders ?

To add an app, drag it to the launchpad icon, or add it to the /Applications folder and it is added automatically.

After deleting the icons from a folder, you are left with an empty folder. Drag an item into it, and then out again. The folder is deleted.

stuckwithme247
Jul 3, 2011, 08:10 AM
Has anyone figured out a trick to get rid of extra apps that appear there? I'm talking about a game folder in Applications -- StarCraft II. It has all these little apps inside it, so what I get is like 10 SC2 icons that you can't delete or hide...

PowerGamerX
Jul 3, 2011, 09:57 AM
Has anyone figured out a trick to get rid of extra apps that appear there? I'm talking about a game folder in Applications -- StarCraft II. It has all these little apps inside it, so what I get is like 10 SC2 icons that you can't delete or hide...

I'd like to know this as well. When am I ever going to use the plane maker in X-Plane? Never.

ssn637
Jul 3, 2011, 01:54 PM
I figured out how to do this but it's kinda technical. For me, I wanted to delete all the old Parallels windows app links. :cool:

First, you're going to need an SQLite database editor. I suggest SQLite Database Browser from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/files/sqlitebrowser/2.0%20beta1/sqlitebrowser_200_b1_osx.zip/download?use_mirror=softlayer

You need to copy that database over to your documents folder and edit it from there like this:
cp XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db ~/Documents/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db.bak

Then open it in the SQLite browser and execute a query that will delete the items you don't want from the items and apps tables.

DELETE FROM `items` WHERE `rowid` IN (SELECT `item_id` FROM `apps` WHERE `bundleid` LIKE 'com.parallels.winapp%');

After that is done, you save the file and copy it back to the folder it came from... making sure to back up the original.
cp XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db.bak
mv ~/Documents/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db

Then you need to open up terminal and do a killall Dock... or force the Dock process to quit from the Activity Monitor. Then those problem icons will be gone. :D If you have any questions let me know.

Wow! What a pain in the butt...has anyone found an easier way to delete unwanted icons from LaunchPad? Running an SQL query for every icon I'd like to remove is gonna take forever :D

phpmaven
Jul 3, 2011, 04:21 PM

That doesn't work for me. It just launches the app.

duelingdragons
Jul 3, 2011, 04:48 PM
That doesn't work for me. It just launches the app.

Same.

basher
Jul 3, 2011, 05:49 PM
I agree there should be a better way to delete apps from launchpad, but why not just place the apps you want to get ride of into a launchpad folder? Maybe even name it DELETE. Then when a better solution comes along you can easily find them to nuke them.

Saladinos
Jul 3, 2011, 07:35 PM
Also, has anybody found a way to make the launchpad icons bigger? They're waaaaay too small for my MacBook. I have absolutely no idea what's in a folder by its icon.

Almost can't believe this is the GM. So far, it's a mixed bag: in some places brilliant, and in others I think it rivals the worst product Apple's ever shipped.

ShadowZephyr
Jul 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
From what I can tell, if the app is installed using an installer, then it is unremovable for now for some reason. I installed FCPX and it was a drag and drop deal, and it has the little "x" next to it when I hold the ALT key.

Just my two cents :D

Cabron
Jul 4, 2011, 10:00 AM
I think launch pad is the worst feature in lion
this seems like an unfinished application / feature

I couldn't find any way to remove applications too, maybe because there are not one for us

We dont have any options to configure it in system preferences

The blurry background grab a screenshot from your wallpaper and add some blur in it, for example, if you open an full screen or maximized window, them active launch pad, this gonna show the blurry wallpaper and not the desktop background (maybe to save proccessing and rendering optimization?)

we can't add folder inside folders (something like folder enhancer cydia app for iOS), that is just weird such of simple feature doesn't supported by default, we probably will have to wait hacks or third party applications to do this.

some cosmetic issues: they drop a "bloob shadow" for any app or folder (again, this also should done to get best performance results)

http://cl.ly/0p2f2z362y0o1I3G2R1y/Captura_de_Tela_2011-07-04_%C3%A0s_11.10.13.png

but, some icons doesn't look good with this shadow, as you can see.

stefan1975
Jul 4, 2011, 10:03 AM
can't you just touch and hold the icon on your screen until it wobbles and then click the X to remove it?

baryon
Jul 4, 2011, 10:05 AM
I love how user-friendly Lion is when it comes to simple things like removing icons :rolleyes:

terrancewonga
Jul 20, 2011, 01:14 PM
i have got the problem with duplicated 'photo booth' and 'chess' apps, the mentioned method 'control,option,command' key does delete icons of apps installed by user, however, it doesn't delete preinstalled app, i have tried to find a way to delete them but nothing seems to work, this really annoys me as i am a freak on organizing computer's folders. :mad:

RossMc
Jul 20, 2011, 01:19 PM
can't you just touch and hold the icon on your screen until it wobbles and then click the X to remove it?

That only works for Apps downloaded from the App Store.

dilpreet28
Jul 21, 2011, 10:18 PM

Bro thanks so much, that worked but i still have pages left over from where the apps where, any idea how to get rid of them?

Don't worry, worked out after i quit the dock process, cheers man

Nitrus
Jul 23, 2011, 02:26 AM

You can also just goto "Browse Data" in SQLite, and delete them from there.

The Apps are stored in: "apps"
The Folders are stored in: "groups"

You can select either from the drop down. After that, it's just a matter of deleting the one's you don't want.

iamthereforipad
Jul 26, 2011, 11:09 PM

This worked! Thanks.

Mere
Aug 22, 2011, 12:02 PM
Guys, check out LaunchpadCleaner 2 (http://zoltanb.co.uk/launchpadcleaner/), the Missing Apple Launchpad Manager! :)
http://zoltanb.co.uk/external/LaunchpadCleaner/launchpadcleanerscr.png (http://launchpadcleaner.com/)

Features

Delete any App icons or Containers
Edit App Label
Edit Container Label
Create new Container
Backup/Restore Launchpad layout
Restore Default OS X Lion launchpad
Select/deselect all Apps and Container
Transfer Launchpad layout to another Mac!

twmnsca
Aug 24, 2011, 09:42 AM
I just removed some with CleanMyMac

GGJstudios
Aug 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
I just removed some with CleanMyMac

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=709930).