removing apps from Launchpad

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.7 Lion' started by gumblecosby, Feb 25, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

How do you do this? Dragging to the trash while in Launchpad does not work. I have duplicate apps from 2 partitions on it.

Also, swiping with 2 fingers over a dock icon activates expose for each app. I did not know that.

2. jaygen, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

macrumors newbie

I figured out how to do this but it's kinda technical. For me, I wanted to delete all the old Parallels windows app links. :cool:

First, you're going to need an SQLite database editor. I suggest SQLite Database Browser from:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sql..._200_b1_osx.zip/download?use_mirror=softlayer

The Database that has Launchpad items is located in:
    ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/

It is named something like XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db

You need to copy that database over to your documents folder and edit it from there like this:
    cp XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db ~/Documents/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db.bak

Then open it in the SQLite browser and execute a query that will delete the items you don't want from the items and apps tables.

Example for Parallels windows app links:
    DELETE FROM `items` WHERE `rowid` IN (SELECT `item_id` FROM `apps` WHERE `bundleid` LIKE 'com.parallels.winapp%');
    DELETE FROM `apps` WHERE `bundleid` LIKE 'com.parallels.winapp%';

After that is done, you save the file and copy it back to the folder it came from... making sure to back up the original.
    cp XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db.bak
    mv ~/Documents/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.db

Then you need to open up terminal and do a killall Dock... or force the Dock process to quit from the Activity Monitor. Then those problem icons will be gone. :D If you have any questions let me know.

3. macrumors 68000

Maclver

Go to ~/Library Application support Dock and delete the file in there, log out and back in.....

That will reset the launchpad and erase the apps you don't have..

You have to unhide the Library folder in the Home folder first.

5. macrumors 68000

Maclver

no you don't just go to "GO' at the top (when in finder) "Go to folder" and type in ~/Library

Or you can do that. :p

7. macrumors 6502a

Currently a UI has not been built for the removal of Applications in Launchpad.

8. macrumors 68000

Maclver

But deleting the file in Application Support will have to do until the next seed is released

9. macrumors newbie

andrew.gw

Actually...

Actually I've found that you don't even need to log out — just launch the Terminal and type "killall Dock". :)

10. macrumors newbie

Just hold Command+Option+Control and click, that will delete it.

11. macrumors 6502a

karsten

how do you add stuff to it? say i want to add a link to the Documents folder

12. macrumors 68000

Maclver

Currently you can't, its just a app launcher currently...

13. macrumors newbie

Deleting Icons from the Launchpad

have you tried clicking an Icon with Ctrl-Alt-Cmd pressed. It removes the icon from the launchpad immediately

14. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

What I was thinking.

15. macrumors 6502

antmarobel

Thanks for the tip.

16. macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Great, thanks a lot. Do you know a trick to add apps and to delete folders ?

17. macrumors newbie

adding apps and deleting folders

To add an app, drag it to the launchpad icon, or add it to the /Applications folder and it is added automatically.

After deleting the icons from a folder, you are left with an empty folder. Drag an item into it, and then out again. The folder is deleted.

18. macrumors regular

Has anyone figured out a trick to get rid of extra apps that appear there? I'm talking about a game folder in Applications -- StarCraft II. It has all these little apps inside it, so what I get is like 10 SC2 icons that you can't delete or hide...

19. macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I'd like to know this as well. When am I ever going to use the plane maker in X-Plane? Never.

20. macrumors 6502

Wow! What a pain in the butt...has anyone found an easier way to delete unwanted icons from LaunchPad? Running an SQL query for every icon I'd like to remove is gonna take forever :D

21. macrumors 68030

That doesn't work for me. It just launches the app.

22. macrumors 65816

Same.

23. macrumors 6502

basher

I agree there should be a better way to delete apps from launchpad, but why not just place the apps you want to get ride of into a launchpad folder? Maybe even name it DELETE. Then when a better solution comes along you can easily find them to nuke them.

24. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Also, has anybody found a way to make the launchpad icons bigger? They're waaaaay too small for my MacBook. I have absolutely no idea what's in a folder by its icon.

Almost can't believe this is the GM. So far, it's a mixed bag: in some places brilliant, and in others I think it rivals the worst product Apple's ever shipped.

25. macrumors newbie

From what I can tell, if the app is installed using an installer, then it is unremovable for now for some reason. I installed FCPX and it was a drag and drop deal, and it has the little "x" next to it when I hold the ALT key.

Just my two cents :D