Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

173948-joint_venture.jpg

As expected, Apple's "secret" meeting for retail store employees last night was in fact targeted at sharing information on the company's forthcoming "Joint Venture" service that will roll out over the next few days, primarily focusing on providing advanced and priority technical support to small businesses.

9 to 5 Mac and our own sources have provided a few details on the program, which will cost $499 per year for up to five machines and $99 per year for each additional machine. The program offers a number of benefits, including:

- Genius Bar telephone support and priority access: Users will be able to receive call-in technical support from Apple Geniuses rather than having to visit an Apple Store. Those that do elect to stop by an Apple Store for in-person consultations will receive priority access.

- Loaner computers: For repairs scheduled to take more than 24 hours, Apple will provide loaner 15-inch MacBook Pros to carry users through while their own machines are out of commission.

- Workshops and setup: Specialized workshops will be held to assist small businesses with increasing the effectiveness of their Macs and other devices. Apple Geniuses will also provide setup for new machines, including data transfers and configuration of Microsoft Exchange and other services to work with companies' existing systems.

Article Link: Apple Preps Retail Employees for Rollout of 'Joint Venture' Services

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I think i'm going to start a small business for access to loaner computers if/when my computer is in need of repair... Just hope it has FCP on it :p

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Well that is nice about the loaner laptop....I remember when my macbook was being serviced for 5 weeks before they finally replaced it. Though it would be interesting to see what conditions you have to agree to for the loaner...

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is this just for SB?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I've thought they should give out a courtesy Mac for repairs anyway.

It might even help persuade people to upgrade to a newer model…

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
This is nice for a small business where the employees know jack about setting up and maintaining computers. Otherwise, not so much. Still, it definitely has its place.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Well that is nice about the loaner laptop....I remember when my macbook was being serviced for 5 weeks before they finally replaced it. Though it would be interesting to see what conditions you have to agree to for the loaner...

credit/D&B check and agree to pay for it if it's lost or damaged?

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
This should be free for everyone!

WTF? What a pile of horse ****! :mad:

"priority access" over us lonely peons, eh? It's not like were spending thousands of dollars on your products, we understand that you need to charge even more to screw those who don't go with the service!!!

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England

"priority access" over us lonely peons, eh? It's not like were spending thousands of dollars on your products, we understand that you need to charge even more to screw those who don't go with the service!!!

It's ok, they'll probably start taking 30% of the companies revenue after a few months. The businesses will definitely pay for the service they get.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008

And I am sure they will be paying for it in advance. Do you seriously think this type of service does not exist elsewhere already?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I'll admit, this is a great first step.

However, as a small business owner who runs SBS- Genius's rarely know anything that resembles MS exchange/Server, etc- other than setting up iPhone/iPad.

I am curios as to where this is actually going. For instance, if I want to replace my IBM server, is  prepared (if I pay the additional 500) to hook me up with a similar system via SL Server? Will they have the knowledge to offer such support?

I kind of see this as kind of a Platinum Insurance Policy; not too much more. Am I missing something?

Minority_taxi

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
I'll admit, this is a great first step.

However, as a small business owner who runs SBS- Genius's rarely know anything that resembles MS exchange/Server, etc- other than setting up iPhone/iPad.

I am curios as to where this is actually going. For instance, if I want to replace my IBM server, is  prepared (if I pay the additional 500) to hook me up with a similar system via SL Server? Will they have the knowledge to offer such support?

I kind of see this as kind of a Platinum Insurance Policy; not too much more. Am I missing something?

They'll hire people that will know how to do that, probably why it seems expensive.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
I think it is amazing that Apple can keep such a tight hold on confidential information. The iPad "2" has been in development for months at least, yet not a single peep of factual evidence of it's existence has been leaked.

It's 3 days from the announcement, and no one has gone public with any details.

The only thing we have? This 'JointVenture' leak, which does nothing for regular consumers.

Props to Apple for having such a stable system for preventing leaks.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Geniuses huh? I don't know if I want "Geniuses" messing with my business,
when they are disconnected from the work flow and environment.
Maybe I am missing something.

studbike

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
the big question on my mind is, will they still pay sticker price for parts and repairs? For $500 I'd expect more than just line-cutting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.