PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what a man will do after he steals an iphone 4 ?

hvnwnd
Mar 3, 2011, 03:57 PM
Will he take out the sim card, shut it down and then sell it, or he uses it for himself?

The story is that someone stole my iphone4 and I called my provider to block the iphone. I have also set find my iphone, but i cannot locate my iphone 4 now. Of course I file a report to the police but i have have little hope.

I wonder i shouldn't have blocked my iphone 4 through the provider so that i could locate it with 3g. How does "find my iphone" work? Does it use only GPS or GPS+internet?

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Mar 3, 2011, 04:03 PM
Will he take out the sim card, shut it down and then sell it, or he uses it for himself?

The story is that someone stole my iphone4 and I called my provider to block the iphone. I have also set find my iphone, but i cannot locate my iphone 4 now. Of course I file a report to the police but i have have little hope.

I wonder i shouldn't have blocked my iphone 4 through the provider so that i could locate it with 3g. How does "find my iphone" work? Does it use only GPS or GPS+internet?

it works via wifi as well

HitchHykr
Mar 3, 2011, 04:04 PM
Go to Strip Club????

How do you know that it was a man?

xAnthony
Mar 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
The thing I find completely stupid about this Find my iPhone thing.. once you take out the sim card it no longer works... Which really makes this whole "Find my iPhone" thing pointless. Usually the person would know to take out the sim card. Or you could just turn the phone off and good luck finding it. They need to find another way to find a lost device. Perhaps a tracking feature that allows you to track the device with no service/while the device is off.

asouclks
Mar 3, 2011, 04:15 PM
They need to make you be able to remotely disable the lock button. That way it can't be turned off or reset. Could help a little.

maflynn
Mar 3, 2011, 04:18 PM
Woman actually have been known to steal and break the law too :rolleyes:

A2DY
Mar 3, 2011, 04:24 PM
Woman actually have been known to steal and break the law too :rolleyes:

no need to be so pety,

if things are manmade, doesnt mean a woman couldnt have done it,

when man first roamed the earth women didn't sit still for years to come, man can be used as a generic term for human....

if someone stole an iphone (and they had half a brain or more) they would turn it off, remove the SIM, then depending on person either sell it or put their SIM in.

Their obviously will be the odd few people who "found" the phone who would either look on the contacts list (if the phone wasn't locked) and call a number (e.g home) to tell them they found it or hand in th police etc.

Beleive it or not there are people like that, I have found 3 iPhones in the last year or so at my work and called their most dialled number to get it back to them,

jenzjen
Mar 3, 2011, 04:26 PM
Most likely turn it off and restore it when they get home back to a clean OS and either use or sell it.

hvnwnd
Mar 3, 2011, 05:00 PM
Go to Strip Club????

How do you know that it was a man?

He tried to talk with me and to distract me, and i don't know he or some one else stole my iphone from my pocket. I noticed that after he left...

hvnwnd
Mar 3, 2011, 05:11 PM
Most likely turn it off and restore it when they get home back to a clean OS and either use or sell it.

A simple restore will disable "find my iphone" ? So using "find my iphone" to find the stolen iphone doesn't work any more as it's so popular that everyone knows its weakness. It just becomes legend ?

ImStrapped
Mar 3, 2011, 05:16 PM
once they steal it they take out the SIM card, and sell it quickly.
Boom.

hvnwnd
Mar 3, 2011, 05:24 PM
it works via wifi as well

Even after a restore ?

nukem170
Mar 3, 2011, 05:27 PM
Basically turn off first (makes tracking via 3g or wifi pointless). Then take out the sim card. Connect it to itunes and restore to original factory settings (makes all screen locks / passwords useless). All done.. The phone is ready to go for him to either sell or use by himself.

Optionally he can jailbreak + unlock and use a sim card with different carrier.

Apple doesn't track or do anything. Carriers usually does not block phones. Even if they did he can simply use with a different carrier or put it on Ebay and sell to someone in a different country.

POLICE WILL NEVER LOOK FOR IT. Why? B/C your phone worth less than $5000 and therefore is considered a "petty crime". So like a theft of a chocolate bar. They don't take contract in to consideration. It's a waste of resource.
So chances are you will NEVER find it EVER again unless the person that takes it changes their mind and return it. LOL.

The thief can also do the following

If a thief has your iPhone and it is not yet locked (he grabs it out of my hands). The thief notices my MM iDisk and Galery Apps and then knows I have MM and can use 'Find my iPhone' So he goes to settings->mail->MobileMe and disables 'Find My iPhone'. As a reusult I cannot use the Remote Lock or wipe functions anymore.

So basically find my iphone = useless if you iphone is stolen. Unless it's stolen by a retard.

Stealthipad
Mar 3, 2011, 05:30 PM
Even after a restore ?

I know you are upset but the best thing to do is to move on and replace your phone.:rolleyes:

The "Find My Phone" software is just a horrible joke on iPhone users.

Thousands of phones are stolen/lost every day and no one will do anything to help. Try to get over being mad and get you another phone. You phone is gone.:(

ajohnson253
Mar 3, 2011, 05:40 PM
Like everyone else said. He will restore it, use it for himself or sell it.

mgamber
Mar 3, 2011, 05:45 PM
no need to be so pety,

if things are manmade, doesnt mean a woman couldnt have done it,

when man first roamed the earth women didn't sit still for years to come, man can be used as a generic term for human....

if someone stole an iphone (and they had half a brain or more) they would turn it off, remove the SIM, then depending on person either sell it or put their SIM in.

Their obviously will be the odd few people who "found" the phone who would either look on the contacts list (if the phone wasn't locked) and call a number (e.g home) to tell them they found it or hand in th police etc.

Beleive it or not there are people like that, I have found 3 iPhones in the last year or so at my work and called their most dialled number to get it back to them,

LOL...nice. Unfortunately, if he/she had half a brain he/she wouldn't have stolen an iPhone in the first place. And I seriously doubt there are more than a dozen people on the planet with more than half a brain and 8 of them are in China, two more are in India and one is in Brazil.

ucfgrad93
Mar 3, 2011, 05:45 PM
That sucks OP, sorry that it happened to you. Don't forget to change any passwords to accounts that you access on your iPhone. Email, facebook, twitter, etc.

hvnwnd
Mar 3, 2011, 05:55 PM
Basically turn off first (makes tracking via 3g or wifi pointless). Then take out the sim card. Connect it to itunes and restore to original factory settings (makes all screen locks / passwords useless). All done.. The phone is ready to go for him to either sell or use by himself.

Apple doesn't track or do anything. Carriers usually does not block phones. Even if they did he can simply use with a different carrier or put it on Ebay and sell to someone in a different country.

POLICE WILL NEVER LOOK FOR IT. Why? B/C your phone worth less than $5000 and therefore is considered a "petty crime". So like a theft of a chocolate bar. They don't take contract in to consideration. It's a waste of resource.
So chances are you will NEVER find it EVER again unless the person that takes it changes their mind and return it. LOL.

So basically find my iphone = useless if you iphone is stolen. Unless it's stolen by a retard.

Your explanation is not so encouraging, but thanks all the same.
I'm soooo disappointed :( Since I lost it, I expected to play a "catch the thief" by using "find my phone" like some news reported...

Sounds that to be a thief is not only a good job in computer games...

Rodvette
Mar 3, 2011, 05:58 PM

which in most cases, the thief is a retard

hvnwnd
Mar 3, 2011, 06:00 PM
That sucks OP, sorry that it happened to you. Don't forget to change any passwords to accounts that you access on your iPhone. Email, facebook, twitter, etc.

Thanks for the advice.

dontworry
Mar 3, 2011, 06:09 PM
I would say it's sold asap, sorry bout your luck. I hate thieves, I've had my wallet returned to me full of cash before and took it as a sign to return things to their owners if at all possible.

I thought the find my iphone feature was to let me know if I left my phone in the truck or in couch somewhere?:D I always assumed that it was for finding a misplaced iphone, not for security.

hvnwnd
Mar 3, 2011, 06:19 PM
I know you are upset but the best thing to do is to move on and replace your phone.:rolleyes:

The "Find My Phone" software is just a horrible joke on iPhone users.

Thousands of phones are stolen/lost every day and no one will do anything to help. Try to get over being mad and get you another phone. You phone is gone.:(

Agreed. Find my iphone's a cool feature rather than a secure one.

Eric374
Mar 3, 2011, 07:14 PM
You could:
A-Have a Verizon iPhone, no SIM card to remove
B-Jailbreak it and hide the "Find My iPhone" icon
C-Hang on to your phone like a fat kid with a popsicle
D-All the above.

Of course, none of this matters if the phone's turned off, but at least on Verizon you can have ESN blacklisted so it's nothing more than a cool iPod Touch.

Apple OC
Mar 3, 2011, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know what a man will do after he steals an iphone 4 ?

play Angry Birds?

seriously though ... sorry to hear you had it stolen

LIVEFRMNYC
Mar 3, 2011, 07:29 PM
He tried to talk with me and to distract me, and i don't know he or some one else stole my iphone from my pocket. I noticed that after he left...

If it was in your back pocket, lesson learned. Those who put wallets and expensive phones in their back pocket are just asking to get picked.

If it was in your front pocket, then you need to pay more attention to your surroundings. Or buy an Otterbox case so you can feel your phone every second and takes just a bit more than necessary to take out your pocket. :D

Anyway sorry for your loss, what comes around goes around.

JD914
Mar 3, 2011, 07:35 PM
Kiss your phone good bye and chalk it up as experience. :rolleyes:

herruberraschen
Mar 3, 2011, 07:45 PM
Find him and make him regret it Rambo-style.

hvnwnd
Mar 4, 2011, 03:21 AM
If it was in your back pocket, lesson learned. Those who put wallets and expensive phones in their back pocket are just asking to get picked.

If it was in your front pocket, then you need to pay more attention to your surroundings. Or buy an Otterbox case so you can feel your phone every second and takes just a bit more than necessary to take out your pocket. :D

Anyway sorry for your loss, what comes around goes around.

An expensive lesson... it was in my side open pocket, when i turned to the guy, maybe another one reached in my pocket when i didn't notice. 
Never put an expensive stuff in an open pocket !!

marksman
Mar 4, 2011, 03:44 AM
How did this thief distract you? Did he do some magic trick or something?

Dandrews524
Mar 4, 2011, 03:51 AM
ill bet the OP stole a phone and doesnt know what to do with it now. most of these posters have given him step by step directions on what to do with his newly stolen iphone

hvnwnd
Mar 4, 2011, 03:52 AM
How did this thief distract you? Did he do some magic trick or something?

When you talk to someone, it's hard to notice what's going on behind you...
He just asked me for some help

hvnwnd
Mar 4, 2011, 04:01 AM
ill bet the OP stole a phone and doesnt know what to do with it now. most of these posters have given him step by step directions on what to do with his newly stolen iphone

Come on.... if he can find here, he could find the same thing on other websites, i bet that www.apple.com explains best how to disable "find my iphone".

This poster could remind people not to do stupidities like me.

hvnwnd
Mar 4, 2011, 04:06 AM
Kiss your phone good bye and chalk it up as experience. :rolleyes:

Yes, chalked it up.

iPhone4 IMEI:***
Born: 24.12.2010
Dead: 3.3.2011

RIP

fluffer
Mar 4, 2011, 05:27 AM
so basically find my iphone = useless if you iphone is stolen. Unless it's stolen by a retard.

LOL (smilies don't seem t obe working)

Leet Apple
Mar 4, 2011, 07:16 AM
I Would
Turn the iPhone off, Remove the SIM, Restore It then Jailbreak and unlock

Then use it for myself

but most likely return it to the first person who called it

VeNoMiZeD
Mar 4, 2011, 07:49 AM
I lost my 1st generation iPhone at the post office once. It took a full day before the lady that found it called my mom on the call list. I gave her a $30 gift card, wasnt much but was glad that she called back! I would do the same too if I found a phone.

bdeitemeyer
Mar 4, 2011, 07:53 AM
Turning the phone off doesn't disable the Find my iPhone. I've lost mine before, and once you open the program from a computer or wherever, you have the ability to turn the phone on/off at your choosing in order to help locate it. You guys seem to be forgetting this and assuming that turning the phone off while the SIM is still inside leaves the thief with the upper hand. If the thief takes the SIM out, you're screwed...but hopefully the thief would try to disable the program or turn the phone off so you have a little bit of time before it's too late.

Eric374
Mar 4, 2011, 08:05 AM
Turning the phone off doesn't disable the Find my iPhone. I've lost mine before, and once you open the program from a computer or wherever, you have the ability to turn the phone on/off at your choosing in order to help locate it. You guys seem to be forgetting this and assuming that turning the phone off while the SIM is still inside leaves the thief with the upper hand. If the thief takes the SIM out, you're screwed...but hopefully the thief would try to disable the program or turn the phone off so you have a little bit of time before it's too late.

Advantage: CDMA.

DDustiNN
Mar 5, 2011, 12:57 AM
Advantage: CDMA.

Another advantage for Verizon:
If you call and report your phone as stolen, the phone's ESN (unique identifier) is blacklisted and cannot be activated an any Verizon account ever again (unless you retrieve it and let them know). So even though your phone is gone, you at least have some satisfaction knowing that you've irritated the thief.

Eric374
Mar 5, 2011, 01:01 AM
Another advantage for Verizon:
If you call and report your phone as stolen, the phone's ESN (unique identifier) is blacklisted and cannot be activated an any Verizon account ever again (unless you retrieve it and let them know). So even though your phone is gone, you at least have some satisfaction knowing that you've irritated the thief.

See my post #23 on the previous page.

jdaniel
Mar 5, 2011, 02:04 AM
If the guy restores theres nothing you can do, but if hes stupid and he phone is not locked and he swapped sims.... iTracker can still help I think.. thats as close as you can get...to something that does anything when sim is removed..

^ for other people who are wondering what else is out there

Generik777
Mar 5, 2011, 03:12 AM
One positive thing about the CDMA version is even if the phone is off you can still login to mobileme and lock/wipe/or display a message to the phone. This will all take place the moment the phone is turned back on, as there is no sim to remove on a CDMA device. Although it would be nice if find my iPhone allowed you to lock the device on, and prevent the phone from being turned off.

gotchabish
May 9, 2012, 09:57 PM
All you have to do to a Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 is first, enable airplane mode. Second, do a factory reset FROM THE PHONE. If you plug it into a computer with internet, certain apps will immediately record identifying information about you and send it to the necessary parties. NEXT, set it up with YOUR Apple ID via a wifi network. The quicker you do this, the better your chances of not being caught. Property value is in fact a trivial amount for authorities to consider investing time and resources to recover the device so by doing this, your putting the owner at a serious disadvantage as the Find My iPhone app is operated and managed via a persons Apple ID. SIM card or not, block the service providers 3G/4G network access, and you have yourself a pretty cool iPod touch IF you manage to accomplish all of this before the owner can remote lock the phone and track the location. It is possible. For those of you trying to keep your hands ON your gadget, PUT A DAMN PASSCODE ON THE THING TO BEGIN WITH! It's a simple procedure. Just do it. A thief will in most cases look at the phone and realize, "HEY! My dumbass can't do anything with it anyway. Screw it!" and either leave it be or collect some karma points and return it to the location where he found it or the police.

nwmtnbiker
May 9, 2012, 10:25 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss that truly sucks! Don't know if you were jailbroken but a very good app from Cydia is iCaughtUPro. Not only does it prevent you, or thief from powering down the phone and restoring but also takes a picture of the thief and gps location. Password protected. Then it sends it to your email.

And no it isn't my app but found it good to have just in case. I'd rather have my phone useless and thrown against the wall or into a trash can then have somebody else using it...

twigman08
May 9, 2012, 10:43 PM
play Angry Birds?

Sadly, I wouldn't doubt if you are right. lol.

Though sorry to hear about your luck man.

ame8199
May 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
It is possible. For those of you trying to keep your hands ON your gadget, PUT A DAMN PASSCODE ON THE THING TO BEGIN WITH! It's a simple procedure. Just do it. A thief will in most cases look at the phone and realize, "HEY! My dumbass can't do anything with it anyway. Screw it!" and either leave it be or collect some karma points and return it to the location where he found it or the police.

A girl I work with just recently lost her phone and the person who found it called her sister to return it. We were just talking about this same thing. Yes if you have a pass code on your phone , your stuff is protected BUT someone can't call your contacts to return the phone. If you don't have a pass code, someone can return your phone as well as get into your info...