PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at grey..

AWishForNoOne
Feb 16, 2005, 01:57 PM
My friend iBook is getting stuck at the grey apple logo screen. I told her to reset the PRAM and do the fsck thing to no avail. It seems like her only option is to run the startup disc but will this clear her harddrive when reinstalling osx. I'm thinking that it won't but I wanted to be sure in case I screwed her over.

wrldwzrd89
Feb 16, 2005, 03:45 PM
My friend iBook is getting stuck at the grey apple logo screen. I told her to reset the PRAM and do the fsck thing to no avail. It seems like her only option is to run the startup disc but will this clear her harddrive when reinstalling osx. I'm thinking that it won't but I wanted to be sure in case I screwed her over.
An "Erase and Install" is not necessary if you're reverting to an older Mac OS X version to recover from a problem like this. An "Archive and Install" will be sufficient. This is true for Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther", at least...what version of Mac OS X is your friend running? If you don't know the exact version number, all I need is the second number (first.second.third - 10.3.8 - what I need is the "3"). Does this make sense?

AWishForNoOne
Feb 16, 2005, 07:12 PM
she's running panther

musicpyrite
Feb 16, 2005, 07:14 PM
I'd recommend holding the Shift key at startup.

Otherwise, maybe a target disk mode, copy over her files, then do a clean install...

wrldwzrd89
Feb 16, 2005, 08:35 PM
she's running panther
If she can boot from the Mac OS X install CD/DVD, she should do an Archive and Install, re-install all the upgrades, and hope her Mac returns to normal. Good Luck!