PDA

View Full Version : Busted PB - Turnaround time for support?

mwpeters8182
Feb 16, 2005, 10:55 PM
Hi guys,

Today, my 12" powerbook started running slowly, and acting up - I restarted and got a kernel panic. I was able to boot into OS X, so I started transferring my stuff to my iPod for safekeeping. Right in the middle of copying, the drive (i'm guessing) made a squealing noise, kind of like a teapot whistling, and then the comptuer froze up. Booting up with the DVDs that came with the system, Disc Utility no longer sees the drive as existing, let alone damaged/working, and I get the ? when I try to boot.

Obviously, this computer is going to need to be serviced, but I NEED a OSX/Unix computer ASAP. On average, what have your experiences been with turnaround time for repairs?

Thanks,

MP

me_94501
Feb 16, 2005, 11:30 PM
Hi guys,

Today, my 12" powerbook started running slowly, and acting up - I restarted and got a kernel panic. I was able to boot into OS X, so I started transferring my stuff to my iPod for safekeeping. Right in the middle of copying, the drive (i'm guessing) made a squealing noise, kind of like a teapot whistling, and then the comptuer froze up. Booting up with the DVDs that came with the system, Disc Utility no longer sees the drive as existing, let alone damaged/working, and I get the ? when I try to boot.

Obviously, this computer is going to need to be serviced, but I NEED a OSX/Unix computer ASAP. On average, what have your experiences been with turnaround time for repairs?

Thanks,

MP
I've had turnaround times (from the day I box it up and send it away to the day it comes back) of as low as three days or so. But once I was iBook-less for two weeks.

I have not had good luck with iBooks, btw.