Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Whats the best free program to rip a DVD and convert it for apple TV?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Handbrake for encoding...a sperate program to do the ripping, like Fairmount.

Download and follow the procedure in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

It's been stickied at the top of this forum for a couple of years. It really is the best way to automate this procedure. Depending on your Mac's speed, you can end up ripping and encoding 10-15 DVDs a day. It's an amazingly powerful, yet ultimately simple procedure. And it is free.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Handbrake for encoding...a sperate program to do the ripping, like Fairmount.

Download and follow the procedure in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

It's been stickied at the top of this forum for a couple of years. It really is the best way to automate this procedure. Depending on your Mac's speed, you can end up ripping and encoding 10-15 DVDs a day. It's an amazingly powerful, yet ultimately simple procedure. And it is free.

i just wanna rip it and then use vuze to convert it to apple TV, what program can just rip the audio/video?

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
i just wanna rip it and then use vuze to convert it to apple TV, what program can just rip the audio/video?

Just use handbrake. It will rip and convert all at once. Unless you are doing a big batch of encodes using a separate ripper is pointless. For one offs just use handbrake. Vuze is pointless.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It depends on what DVD,s you want to rip. If they are new or have some advanced encryption then you will run into issues. I have found that having more then 1 tool is sometimes needed.

MTR or Ripit will most likely work on about any DVD you throw at it. To encode you can not go wrong with Handbrake, it's quality is excellent and I like the Que.

my workflow has been to rip several DVD's and then load all of them into Handbrake

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
Just use handbrake. It will rip and convert all at once. Unless you are doing a big batch of encodes using a separate ripper is pointless. For one offs just use handbrake. Vuze is pointless.

Agreed, I've used Handbrake with little to no issues. Why bother with a 2 step system?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Agreed, I've used Handbrake with little to no issues. Why bother with a 2 step system?

Because of wear-and-tear on your optical drive.

A ripper will load the entire disc image onto your hard drive within 15 minutes or so. Encoding directly from a DVD will mean the drive is spinning perhaps as much as 1.5-3 hours continuously, depending on how fast your computer can encode.

For a one-time encode, this may not be an issue, but for multiple DVDs, you are putting tremendous strain on your optical drive.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
This really killed the superdrive in my old iMac.

I agree. Handbrake works great, but I soon realized that converting my entire library would put considerable strain on the drive.

My solution? MacTheRipper.

Now, I think the developer got sorta weird in that donations had to be made before getting the latest software . . . I don't know if that's true or not, I just know that I was able to download it before any of that.

Sure having 4-7GBs of my hard drive eaten up by one DVD was a bummer, but the nice thing was that I was able to get 4-5 movies queued up in handbrake and let it run overnight.

The next morning, delete the huge files, and start again. Perfect.

fosterpants

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Are you guys tweaking the settings at all in Handbrake or just using the ATV2 preset? I've tried just the ATV2 preset and it doesn't seem to handle motion very well. There are a ton of different forum threads about this but I've yet to find a solid group of settings.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Are you guys tweaking the settings at all in Handbrake or just using the ATV2 preset? I've tried just the ATV2 preset and it doesn't seem to handle motion very well. There are a ton of different forum threads about this but I've yet to find a solid group of settings.

Atv settings show no motion artifacts for me.

k12g3

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
I use RipIt for ripping and Handbrake for converting the VIDEO TS folder to .mp4. Really simple.

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
Another vote for Ripit + Handbrake. I've had problems in the past with some discs using MTR and Fairmount, but Ripit has worked like a charm for everything I've thrown at it.

I'll usually rip a few and then queue them up in Handbrake.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
+1 for RipIt + Handbrake. Best combo for a fairly large dvd collection.

Just ripped 9 yesterday after work and threw them all in the queue in handbrake and ran all night.

Plus RipIt is set up to automatically start ripping as soon as dvd is inserted, and to eject as soon as it is finished. So I just watch for the discs to eject out of the mini and throw another one in. Don't have to do an input.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Because of wear-and-tear on your optical drive.

This really killed the superdrive in my old iMac.
I was going to make the same point and use the same example. I completely fragged the superdrive on my iMac a few years ago ripping my Star Trek DVDs. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a cheap external and use the two-step process (MTR and then HandBrake).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.