Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Again, do not pass up this jewel which has been here on this board for years and is constantly updated:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

It completely automates the process including ripping, obtaining artwork and meta data and even allows scheduling of encoding and automatic placement of your encoded movies into your iTunes library. The encodes look better on my 1st gen ATV than the original DVDs look played back through my DVD player.

It looks like a lot of complication and work, but you will literally be up-and-running within 15 minutes.

Last edited:

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Again, do not pass up this jewel which has been here on this board for years and is constantly updated:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

It completely automates the process including ripping, obtaining artwork and meta data and even allows scheuling of encoding and automatic placement of your encoded movies into your iTunes library. The encodes look better on my 1st gen ATV than the original DVDs look played back through my DVD player.

It looks like a lot of complication and work, but you will literally be up-and-running within 15 minutes.

I couldn't agree more. Once this was setup I did 800+ in a little over 2.5 months. This process made it so easy for movies...

DocNo

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
For a one-time encode, this may not be an issue, but for multiple DVDs, you are putting tremendous strain on your optical drive.

Seriously? Wear and tear is the best you can come up with? With replacement DVD drives around $20 I am not going to sweat it...

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Seriously? Wear and tear is the best you can come up with? With replacement DVD drives around $20 I am not going to sweat it...

Well, I'm not comfortable cracking open my Mini to put in a new optical drive...and I'm sure most users wouldn't want to replace their internal drives either.

Yes, destroying the internal optical drive IS all I can come up with. If you are OK with that...encode away directly from the drive then. :rolleyes:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Well, I'm not comfortable cracking open my Mini to put in a new optical drive...and I'm sure most users wouldn't want to replace their internal drives either.

Yes, destroying the internal optical drive IS all I can come up with. If you are OK with that...encode away directly from the drive then. :rolleyes:

I'm with you. I'll be getting an external optical drive soon before I start doing some heaving ripping.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
So far I have been pleased with Fairmount to rip the DVD's - though can take 45 minutes sometimes on some DVD's. And then using Handbrake to convert for my ATV2.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I must be lucky with my drive - I have ripped over 1500 DVDs on it using Handbrake and haven't had any issues whatsover with it.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Aside from wear and tear, in my experience traditional tray-loading drives are faster than the slot-loading variants.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Now, I think the developer got sorta weird in that donations had to be made before getting the latest software . . . I don't know if that's true or not, I just know that I was able to download it before any of that.

The whole donations thing, do a circle dance with a finger in the air while reciting the Gettysburg Address level of convolutions and fear, the have to follow a specific protocol and can't mention certain words paranoia or your $ is down the tubes isn't worth dealing with MTR anymore. Ripit will do anything and is well supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.