PDA

View Full Version : Menu Bar Icons

klaze
Mar 6, 2011, 06:41 PM
Hi, how do I know what the icons are? Are there any way to find out?

There's an icon that is red and it shows number KB/s with an up arrow and below that a number in green KB/s with a down arrow. What is this?

Thanks.

ergdegdeg
Mar 6, 2011, 06:44 PM
Sounds like iStat Menus (http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/) to me. I think the preferences for it are in the System Preferences.

klaze
Mar 7, 2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for reply. I don't have iStat menu.

Anyone else know what the speed icon is?

ergdegdeg
Mar 7, 2011, 05:03 PM
Can you take a screenshot and upload it here?

To take a screenshot, press CMD + CTRL + Shift + 4 and drag the cursor around the area you want to capture. The file should be saved on your Desktop.

klaze
Mar 7, 2011, 06:08 PM
Here's the picture. I think it may be too small haha.

GedBlue
Mar 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
That looks very much like the bandwidth monitoring component of iStat menus or something similar.

Hold down the apple key (cmd) and drag it out of the menu bar, then it will at least go from there - but search through your applications folder and remove anything statistically sounding that you didn't choose to install or don't want!

GGJstudios
Mar 11, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hold down the apple key (cmd) and drag it out of the menu bar...
That doesn't work with most 3rd party apps; only with Apple apps.

iThinkergoiMac
Mar 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
That doesn't work with most 3rd party apps; only with Apple apps.

It works with iStat Menus and Menu Meters, the two most likely pieces of software that the OP has. It's not the fact that it's an Apple component that determines whether or not it works, it's dependent on which API the dev uses to create the menubar icon.

klaze
Mar 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the reply but cmd + drag doesn't work.

simsaladimbamba
Mar 13, 2011, 08:52 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the reply but cmd + drag doesn't work.
http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/MenuMetersMenubar.png

It seems to be MenuMeters (http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/)and it has a preference pane in System Preferences. Have you looked into there already?
http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/MenuMetersNet.png

lordjonny
Mar 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
Im not so sure its MenuMeters, the OP said that command+drag doesnt work however the MenuMeters website says and I quote:

"The MenuMeters monitors are true SystemUIServer plugins (also known as Menu Extras). This means they can be reordered using command-drag and remember their positions in the menubar across logins and restarts."

Surely they'd move then?

simsaladimbamba
Mar 13, 2011, 09:12 AM
Im not so sure its MenuMeters, the OP said that command+drag doesnt work however the MenuMeters website says and I quote:

"The MenuMeters monitors are true SystemUIServer plugins (also known as Menu Extras). This means they can be reordered using command-drag and remember their positions in the menubar across logins and restarts."

Surely they'd move then?

Yep, seems that way, it just reminded me of an older version of MenuMeters I guess.
Maybe it is time for the OP to take a look at Activity Monitor and select to SHOW ALL PROCESSES and print the process list (CMD+P), sort by PROCESS NAME and attach it to the next post.
Btw OP, what Mac OS X version do you run?

iThinkergoiMac
Mar 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
What comes up when you click it? As in a normal click, not a cmd-click.

klaze
Mar 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for replies.

I don't have menu-meters in systems preference. I'm running 10.6.5 OSX. when i left or right click on the icon, nothing happens. Could the icon do something with Parallels? thats the only software i installed on my OSX recently. I haven't been on my OSX in over 7 months. I'm always on WIN 7.

simsaladimbamba
Mar 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for replies.

I don't have menu-meters in systems preference. I'm running 10.6.5 OSX. when i left or right click on the icon, nothing happens. Could the icon do something with Parallels? thats the only software i installed on my OSX recently. I haven't been on my OSX in over 7 months. I'm always on WIN 7.

What about the "Activity Monitor procedure" I alluded to in my above post?