PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnosing Slow Starting TiBook

Col. Panic
Feb 17, 2005, 06:31 PM
For the last month or so my 667 MhZ PowerBook takes a verrrry long time (5 minutes or more) to start up. I am looking for suggestions on how to go about diagnosing the problem.

My system is a 667 MhZ PowerBook with 1 GB of RAM running OS X 10.3.8. I have a home network with a Comcast high speed cable modem and 2 AirPort Express base stations.

What happens after I start up is I see the grey apple logo screen, then the blue OS X start screen with the white dialolg box in the center that flashes network start up etc, then my desktop background appears with no menu or dock, just a spinning beach ball. I can move the cursor (spinning beach ball) but can not do anything else. This is where it hangs for about 5 minutes. After that everything seems to run like normal.

So far I have repaired permissions, run DiskWarrior and Mac Janitor, started up with airport turned off (I thought it might be taking a long time looking for my home network), started up in verbose mode (to see if I can figure out exactly where it is stalling), and upgraded all software via software update. I'd rather not have to do a clean install if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks in advance!