PDA

View Full Version : how SCRATCHED is your iPod?

macOSX-tastic
Feb 18, 2005, 07:59 PM
hi all,

just thought it might be interesting to see the condition of all yo' iPods out there. are you freakishly cautious about your iPods mirror finish? or are you comfortable just throwing it in a bag?

post your pics! and dont forget to say how long you have had it!

(i would post, but i dont have any picture taking facilities at this time)

runninmac
Feb 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
I have an iPod mini there are quite a few scratch on the back because ever since there was a indent on the side this summer i was like "screw this" and now i like it a whole lot more but also I am now having problems with small small (like the size of a pen tip/niddel tip) indents in it (ps i got it once they started shiping last year im almost at the 1 year "aniversery" for it arriving :D )... But as for the real iPod my friend got one for christmas and he got it scratched up really bad on the front and the back but thats cuz he doesnt take care of his stuff.

Hope i didnt go on to long...

JeDiBoYTJ
Feb 18, 2005, 08:47 PM
my first iPod, was pretty much covered in scratches... then when that one broke, I got it replaced and took better care of it, but still couldnt keep some scratches away, it did get a few scuff marks on the back from the Apple iPod Case... now that one just recently broke, and luckly I was still in my warrenty, got it replaced and now it looks brand new, lol

dotdotdot
Feb 18, 2005, 09:24 PM
My 3G iPod looks like it was dropped many times... maybe thats because my "friends" from camp TOOK IT WHILE I WAS SHOWERING AND THREW IT AT THE FANS AND THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY!!! It was covered in scratches but I managed to get SOME to fade... they stopped the next day when they saw their wallets caught in the fans and their money would never be returned lol - the fans ate it

h0e0h
Feb 18, 2005, 09:40 PM
I've had my 20 gig 4th gen for almost 8 months and i bought it used off of ebay, and it came in bad condition as it is... but it looks like its been to war. I'm a college student so i really don't have the time or enthusiasm to really care what it looks like... i didn't buy it to look at it, i bought it to listen to it to and from class... and that part of it is superb. you can take a look...
http://homepage.mac.com/h0e0h/PhotoAlbum8.html

it is pic "duals and iPod"

you can't really tell how beat up it is, I mean, its not too bad... you can't tell in pics, but in person the back is really scratched and so is the front... but who cares

Johnny Rico
Feb 18, 2005, 09:55 PM
My iPod is a little over a year old and its in perfect mint condition. I keep it in a plastic wrap made for such a purpose all the time and it dons a 'contour design showcase' case when it leaves the house. The case is a little banged up, but not a scratch on the ipod body or chrome. Not even a fingerprint.

amemoryoncelost
Feb 19, 2005, 01:27 AM
Im really surprised no company has made replacement covers for them. i can see why people might not want to get one(screw up thier warranty). But for someone who has a 3G and it's all messed up, why not spend twenty bucks on a new chrome cover...

but yeah, mine has three scratches and that's about it. I've only had mine for a month or so..

jywv8
Feb 19, 2005, 01:40 AM
I got an iPod in December, and the back is all scratched up. I just throw it my bag or drawer. Doesn't bother me.

ChrisBrightwell
Feb 19, 2005, 01:49 AM
Mine is actually scratchless. It came out of the box, was dusted, and went directly into an iSkin eVo2, which had been blown clean with a can of compressed air.

:)

annk
Feb 19, 2005, 03:15 AM
Hmmm...This thread forces me to confront my own peculiar behaviour. :p Usually I do really care how my things look, and take good care of everything. But the iPod is for throwing into a pocket or bag, so I don't care in this case. But despite that, I DO have an iSkin on it! And to make matters worse, the iSKin turns out to be a real dust collector - I have to take a big piece of tape to it about once a week to get rid of all the fuzz!

So the conclusion is that while I don't really care how the iPod looks, I put an iSkin on it and end up cleaning the iSkin!! :eek:

mad jew
Feb 19, 2005, 03:21 AM
I take mine for runs and it gets totally HACKED. In the four months I've had my 4G, it's been dropped on the ground as a result of a car accident twice - my bad, I'm a little careless when I run. I never get hit hard, but my iPod always goes for a little tumble which can't be good for it. I'd get a case, but they're so damn ugly! :eek:

Lacero
Feb 19, 2005, 03:27 AM
I had an iSkin, but never used it again after it scratched my iPod. Now, the scratches don't bother me and I'm not so worried about getting it banged up. It's such a relief.

http://www.euioa.com/mac/ipod20.jpg

OSX Panther
Feb 19, 2005, 03:50 AM
Mine is like badly scratched, i was on a school trip once and i fell asleep istening to my iPod and when i woked up i found it on the floor at the back of the bus, i have no idea how it got there... :(

stevehaslip
Feb 19, 2005, 04:34 AM
Mine is actually scratchless. It came out of the box, was dusted, and went directly into an iSkin eVo2, which had been blown clean with a can of compressed air.

:)

Ditto, except for the can of compressed air. Zero scratches, although I do like to admire the form of my iPod and it is kinda ugly with the skin on I'd rather have something that cushions it and avoids scratches. I've seen the rivets on jeans cause a horifying scratch, it was right in the middle of the screen. I don't really care about the back, its the screen that I would be annoyed about if I got a massive scratch on.

theonenonlyjoey
Feb 19, 2005, 04:50 AM
i use brasso on the front of my 3G (over a year old) and have little to absolutely no scratches on the front and i use no case at all . i dont even bother to polish the back because i know the scratches will jus keep coming.

joey4127
Feb 19, 2005, 05:54 AM
I have a Dell DJ :p No scratches, i dropped it from about 5 feet onto cement and it made no damage that i can see. :eek:

mad jew
Feb 19, 2005, 06:03 AM
I have a Dell DJ :p No scratches, i dropped it from about 5 feet onto cement and it made no damage that i can see. :eek:

Ahem... Do I sense a feeling of pride in having a Dell? :eek: Nah seriously, the iPod casing is a bit of a flaw in the design cos it scratches so easily. Good for you for being different. :)

munkle
Feb 19, 2005, 08:24 AM
I bought an iSkin for my 3G iPod and whilst it worked well, I never really liked the 'feel', I much preferred holding my iPod naked! :eek: :p Consequently I use my iPod the way it came, it's got a few scratches on the back but nothing major...it all adds to the personality.

jsw
Feb 19, 2005, 08:42 AM
Mine's lived its life in an evo2, which, as others have mentioned, does tend to cause some scratches, both from the case itself (in particular, the display cover's corners) and from dirt that get into the holes used to allow heat to escape (but far fewer scratches than carrying the iPod around "naked").

However, the display itself is pristine, and that's what matters to me. I don't much care if there's some sign of use on the case, but I do not want anything to happen to the display.

All of which is odd, really, as I've got the headphone remote and tend not to look at the iPod itself much at all.

5300cs
Feb 19, 2005, 08:53 AM
I've got a 1gen 5gig model. From out of the package it went straight into a rubber cover. Not 1 scratch on it.
My 4gen 20gig did the same thing, not 1 scratch on it, either.
I just got an iPod Shuffle 3 weeks ago, obviously no cover for it. Everyone who sees it though has to touch it and rub it; it's really annoying :mad:

I never take my iPods out of their rubber covers unless to polish them a little. I don't want even 1 scratch on either one, regardless of if I decide to ever sell them or not.

jsw
Feb 19, 2005, 09:12 AM
I never take my iPods out of their rubber covers unless to polish them a little.
What do you use? Just a cloth, or have you found a better solution? And, yes, I know this has been the subject of many threads - I'm just curious if any new or improved options have arisen in the past couple of months.

5300cs
Feb 19, 2005, 09:17 AM
I just go "huuuuuuuuuuuh" and rub it lightly with a cotton t-shirt ;)

No problems so far :cool:

(I do it with my camera lenses too, and I've been okay so far.)

5300cs
Feb 19, 2005, 09:18 AM
Long story short: I barfed on my old 1gen model :rolleyes: while I was still in my drunken stuppor, my wife used wet paper towels to wipe it down and it was still okay (thankfully I didn't cover the thing...)

munkle
Feb 19, 2005, 09:22 AM
I just go "huuuuuuuuuuuh" and rub it lightly with a cotton t-shirt ;)

That's where you're going wrong...it's common knowledge that the "huuuhuuuhuuuh" method is far more effective ;) :p

Chimera
Feb 19, 2005, 09:23 AM
I've got a 1gen 5gig model. From out of the package it went straight into a rubber cover. Not 1 scratch on it.

I just got an iPod Shuffle 3 weeks ago, obviously no cover for it. Everyone who sees it though has to touch it and rub it; it's really annoying :mad:

Same as me, I got a 15gb 3g iPod as soon as they came out in April of 2003 but there were no cases available for a couple of months but still managed to keep it scratch free, and now its in its exo3 case all the time.

I also just got a shuffle and everyone holds it/touches it etc.. and there are no alternative cases to Apple's ones but I think i've got over it now and don't mind it getting messed up especially as it cost relatively little.

john1123
Feb 19, 2005, 09:25 AM
my shuffle is still holding up pretty well (i've had it since the 1/17) but i'll probably buy some sort of case (not the sports case though).

Also, i think the ipod shuffles are not as 'scratchable' as my brother's G3 ipod.. the plastic might be different?

5300cs
Feb 19, 2005, 09:28 AM
... but there were no cases available for a couple of months ...

Exactly. There was a 3-4 week period before the new 4gen iPod rubber skin things came out. In the meantime I had my 4gen iPod in my 1gen iPod case. The widths are different though, so my 4gen was bumping back and forth. People were like "woah, that's a ghetto iPod case." :rolleyes:

As for the iPod Shuffle, people rub mine like it's a worry stone. :mad: Constantly removing the cap wears away the little bit on the USB plug that says '1 gig' :(

5300cs
Feb 19, 2005, 09:30 AM
Jesus, I keep posting- SORRY :rolleyes:

I just remembered: on my 1gen iPod I scratched the display and my wife got pissed. So what I did, was to get those plastic films used for PDA screens, cut it down to size and used that. Same for my 4gen.

I also have a scroll wheel protector sticker on my 1gen, and kept the original plastic cover on my 4gen. I'm real anal about keeping it looking like new.

Chimera
Feb 19, 2005, 09:36 AM
As for the iPod Shuffle, people rub mine like it's a worry stone. :mad: Constantly removing the cap wears away the little bit on the USB plug that says '1 gig' :(

The cap thing is the one thing that really annoys me: as well as the chance of the connection becoming looser over time what would happen if that cap got lost? I don't think Apple are doing replacements at least for now - thats the biggest reason for my protectiveness of my shuffle. I don't really want a case for it though as I want it to make a small as possible dent in my pocket when being used :)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 19, 2005, 11:29 AM
Have a year old green mini. Except from a couple of minute scratches in the glass of the screen it's flawless (and that after tumbleing down a concrete staircase). :D

Of course I always keep it in the plastic clip that came with it, even if I rarely clip it on to anything. (But after the staircase incident I always 'clip' the headphones cord, and maybe the cord will catch the little b*stard next time it 'jumps' out of my pocket :p)

Tried taking a couple of photos, but my HP photosmart 435 has no macro and a very poor flash, so the resulting pictures were basicly useless... :(

chaos86
Feb 19, 2005, 10:09 PM
think of the brushed metal appearance on itunes

now think of that on the back of an ipod, except the scratches go every direction instead of just horizontal

thats my ipod

BigDogg
Feb 21, 2005, 12:03 PM
My mini has a few very small scratches on it, Though I've only had it for a few months.I hate scratching up elctronics, etc.

StarbucksSam
Feb 21, 2005, 12:25 PM
Not ONE scratch. I used latex gloves to handle it for three days until my iSkin came after I got my iPod.

This is my third one. I learned my lesson.

Ambrose Chapel
Feb 21, 2005, 12:37 PM
i never bought a case for my 1G iPod, and it shows. pretty scuffed on the back, but still ticking after almost 3 years. it's a tank!

i got a 4G last year, and bought an iSkin for it. that one is going to be as pristine as i can keep it!

MacAztec
Feb 21, 2005, 12:56 PM
My iPod does not have one scratch on it. I am selling it though. There are pics of it here, as well as the sale information (if you are interested):

My iPod (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5753529407)

CubaTBird
Feb 21, 2005, 01:18 PM
scuffs show how manly ur ipod is.. its in the ROUGH.. lol jp

stevehaslip
Feb 21, 2005, 02:10 PM
I just took my evo 2 skin off to give it a quick was and much to my horror I have found several scratches on the front around the click wheel and a couple by the screen.

I'm not too worried right now but if it continues I'll be a little irked. Anyway has anyone actually used the brasso technique on the front? I'm just a little affraid that it might be a little too abrassive?

jayscheuerle
Feb 21, 2005, 03:13 PM
I got a green mini last summer and other than the chunks in the corners from making a wild gesture, catching the cord on my thumb and launching it out of my pocket onto the sidewalk, it looks like day 1. No skin. Just toss it in my pocket and go...

csubear
Feb 21, 2005, 03:29 PM
Beat to h**l, mines a 3G. The back is so bad you can almost not see the white apple any more. The front is scuffed b/c it fell on cement a couple of times..... I'll try to post a pic later.

bartelby
Feb 21, 2005, 04:00 PM
Mine has lots of fine scratches, even though it lives in it's Radtech sleeve thing or in it's dock.

Sav
Mar 22, 2005, 10:26 AM
I'm still using my 1G 10G bought nearly 3 years ago. Never been in a case - often dropped on the floor when walking back from the pub. I find it liberating that I don't have to worry about the scratches. I often enjoy spinning it on the table top laid on it's bare back it is slightly warped now so spins very well. A couple of the corners have dents and bad scratching where it has fallen on the floor - all adds to the character. The front screen is also fairly scratched up too but still ok to read the screen.

Although saying that I am now contemplating upgrading to an ipod photo. I will definitely want to keep the screen scratch free on that.

You don't really wanna see pics - I might get reported to the RSPCI (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Ipods) :o

jayscheuerle
Mar 22, 2005, 10:31 AM
Although saying that I am now contemplating upgrading to an ipod photo. I will definitely want to keep the screen scratch free on that.

I'd think they'd use that new scratch-proof CD coating (http://hometheater.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp%3Fid=ns99996583) on these screens. Supposedly, you can use steel wool on them and they won't mar at all...

livingfortoday
Mar 22, 2005, 02:53 PM
Well, my shuffle has little dents and whatnot all over it, because I always find myself chewing on it. I really don't know why, but whenever I'm sitting and listening to music, I can't help but gnaw on it a little. I used to bite the headphone cord on my old 10GB, but now I just eat the whole shuffle.

I guess Apple knew what they were talking about when they put up that warning:
http://umsis.miami.edu/~atsatsou/temp/shuffle.gif

If my camera could take half-decent closeup pics, I'd post a pic. I'm thinking of getting a case or something, just because it's starting to not look as shiny and new...

Dagless
Mar 22, 2005, 03:01 PM
my 3G pod was in a very good condition before i flogged it. took great care with that. now my 2G mini is a tough bugger. i can actually put it down on tables without worry :eek: no scratches, no nothing :)

clayj
Mar 22, 2005, 03:02 PM
My iPod Photo is in PRISTINE condition... when I bought it, it sat on a clean cloth on my desktop until I could get an iSkin for it. Since then, it has remained in the iSkin constantly.

vieoray
Mar 22, 2005, 03:16 PM
meh, my iPod is scratched all to hell, at least on the screen. surprisingly, the back only has a few scratches. i do use a case, but i made a mistake and bought the one made by apple. DO NOT BUY THIS CASE. it sucks as it doesn't have protection for the iPod on the sides, and i think some of my scratches were actually caused by the case because it is a pretty tight fit and i slide it in and out often. also, i found that when i would take it to work (i worked a construction job) debris would fall into my pocket and in between the iPod and the case, so when i slid it out, whatever had fallen into the case scratched the iPod.

that being said i really don't care that its scratched as when i buy things i use them without worrying about breaking them, however, next iPod i buy will be accompained with a more decent case.

runninmac
Mar 22, 2005, 09:05 PM
So for all of you "anti-scratch" freaks (no offense) what type of case do you use? When i get a new iPod i am probobly going to treat it very well (and become one of them ;) ) and just screw the mini, so im going to not want to have scratches on it.

clayj
Mar 22, 2005, 09:21 PM
So for all of you "anti-scratch" freaks (no offense) what type of case do you use? When i get a new iPod i am probobly going to treat it very well (and become one of them ;) ) and just screw the mini, so im going to not want to have scratches on it.iSkin Evo 2 with screen and clickwheel protectors.

Nanda Devi
Mar 22, 2005, 09:22 PM
I have a first gen. 20 GB iPod that I've had since Jan. 2003 and it's scratchless. I don't use any case, but it sicks on its stand at all times because it acts as my home stereo (just the iPod and a Bose Wave radio, very minimalist, which I dig). It's actually gotten knocked off the counter I have it on by my crazy cat, but no harm done.... yet.

My green mini is my portable iPod. Had it about 4 months now and even though I take it to the gym almost daily it hasn't got a scratch on it. I'm pretty careful with it and - I'll admit it - I even have an iPod sock to keep it protected. The thing does a good job of protecting it, and it looks so darn cute, too!! :D

I am, however, afraid to run with the mini outdoors. I'm known to take spills from time to time, and I'm not willing to risk it.

livingfortoday
Mar 23, 2005, 12:30 AM
So for all of you "anti-scratch" freaks (no offense) what type of case do you use? When i get a new iPod i am probobly going to treat it very well (and become one of them ;) ) and just screw the mini, so im going to not want to have scratches on it.

Timbuk2 makes a nice little padded iPod case that I used on my 10GB. It even has a little velcro strap to connect around your bag strap. It's quite nice, and soft inside. Even kept the iPod dry when I rode my bike in the rain. And not a scratch while in the case! Out of it... well... that's another story.

Flowbee
Mar 23, 2005, 02:18 AM
Bought my 20gb iPod in November 2002 and bought my Contour iSee case (clear, hard plastic with a slide-on front cover) at MWSF in January 2003. My iPod still rarely leaves its case, which is holding up remarkably well considering that I'm not especially careful with it. iPod still looks and works like new.

My Shuffle, on the other hand, has no case and has spent most of its short life in my pockets with loose change, cell phone, keys, etc. It still looks shiny and new, and unless I find a case that doesn't add any noticeable bulk, I think I'll let it fend for itself without additional protection.

Lacero
Mar 23, 2005, 02:28 AM
The shuffle's $99 price point is at a throw-away price point. No need for any special case or protective shield. And if it does it banged up, who cares, you can relegate it as a thumbnail USB drive. Apple just needs to make it waterproof.

el greenerino
Mar 23, 2005, 03:08 AM
So for all of you "anti-scratch" freaks (no offense) what type of case do you use?

Don't use one, the iPod feels too nice to stuff in a case! However I did have a scratch problem on the front so bad I had to turn up the contrast to see read it! When I started polishing it with brasso the screen looked almost as new as when I got it. Just to be cautious I sometimes use an iPod sock or the black carrying case. (That way I still have to take it out to use it) :)

ipodpro2006
Sep 3, 2006, 03:15 AM
hi all u non scratch-a-hloics out there(no offence:D )i am soon to be getting a ipod with video(30GIG) aND IM WONDERING WHAT CASE I SHOULD GET?? CAN YOU PLEASE LIST SOME GOOD ONES THANKS:cool:

dextertangocci
Sep 3, 2006, 03:45 AM
I took my scratched 5G iPod to a jeweller, and he took out all of the scratches from the front and back:)

freebooter
Sep 3, 2006, 06:02 AM
There are dozens, hundreds of products to protect iPods from scratches, yet here we see in this thread there are still people complaining because the glossy plastic thing they abuse gets scratched. Ridiculous. $5.00 for a tough, replaceable film; buy one.

Whiners who can't take care of themselves or their own property, who expect to have their hands held and runny noses wiped every time they screw-up make me kinda :mad: What would you think about people who complain that their car's paint-job is faulty because it scratches every time they collide with something, and the engine is faulty because it needs to have the oil changed regularly, and the tires are faulty because they need to....you get the picture. I suspect most of the scratchy iPod people are young and immature.

Scarlet Fever
Sep 3, 2006, 07:21 AM
My iPod hasn't got one scratch on it, and i got it when it came out. The casing on the U2 5G iPod must be different to the normal models.

hi all u non scratch-a-hloics out there(no offence:D )i am soon to be getting a ipod with video(30GIG) aND IM WONDERING WHAT CASE I SHOULD GET?? CAN YOU PLEASE LIST SOME GOOD ONES THANKSthat font is probably unnecessary, and this topic has been covered pleanty in the past. If you really want a different case to the included one, i recommend a leather case; they slip in and out of your pocket better than the rubber/silicone cases. They cost more than the silicone cases, though.<rant>hard, but fair... :p

luckylisp
Sep 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
I used the iSee clear Contour case for quite awhile then switched to a Martin Fields shield so I have zero scratches. I could deal with scratches on the back and even the main surface, but not the screen. :eek:

Sesshi
Sep 3, 2006, 11:41 AM
I learned my lesson with my first 5G. Got scratched just by using the included case. So when it luckily ( :D ) developed a fault and I got another one, I got the invisibleshield for it. It's amazing stuff. It's not protective against impacts as a case but I don't really go banging it around.

Jasonbot
Sep 3, 2006, 11:50 AM
I learned my lesson with my first 5G. Got scratched just by using the included case. So when it luckily ( :D ) developed a fault and I got another one, I got the invisibleshield for it. It's amazing stuff. It's not protective against impacts as a case but I don't really go banging it around.

SO, how'd you kill it? Pull it out while updating? I heard that works!

My 5G Black ScratchPod was in a fancy case for the first 3 months, it was so bulky that eventually I gave up, The front doesn't really scratch as badly as people say it does -What do people keep in their pockets these days? And I can still see my (sexy) reflection on the back:D he he

Sesshi
Sep 3, 2006, 11:54 AM
SO, how'd you kill it? Pull it out while updating? I heard that works!

My 5G Black ScratchPod was in a fancy case for the first 3 months, it was so bulky that eventually I gave up, The front doesn't really scratch as badly as people say it does -What do people keep in their pockets these days? And I can still see my (sexy) reflection on the back:D he he

Oh no, it did actually break. Stopped syncing via USB.

Aperture
Sep 3, 2006, 12:03 PM
Got my Nano in Dec. Not one scratch.:) I have an Agent 18 case.

Jasonbot
Sep 4, 2006, 04:47 AM

lol, i want that to happen to my iPod:mad:

annk
Sep 4, 2006, 05:08 AM

We've had two iPods stop synching (via Firewire, not USB). In both cases, it was the wire. The wires would still work to connect the iPod to electricity, or even to charge while connected to the computer, but wouldn't carry the impulses necessary for charging, for some weird reason (both wires were treated well).

We bought two new wires, and the problem went away.l

Chaszmyr
Sep 4, 2006, 06:34 AM
Not scratched at all, long live the invisible shield!

Meatball
Sep 4, 2006, 08:24 AM
Not very, a few light scratches here and there (it's kept in case 24/7)

Xander562
Sep 4, 2006, 10:14 AM
well my first Ipod was incredibly scratched, then after i sent that one in when it died, i triend to take better care of this one. But one day i accidentally put it in the same pocket as my keys (i usualy keep them separated) and i gave up after that, it's now as bad as the first.

AnthonyKinyon
Sep 4, 2006, 10:44 AM
How many scratches mine has, none at all, I have had it in a case since day one.

hi all,

just thought it might be interesting to see the condition of all yo' iPods out there. are you freakishly cautious about your iPods mirror finish? or are you comfortable just throwing it in a bag?

displaced
Sep 4, 2006, 10:48 AM

[edit: sorry for the next-to-no-value post... I was just intrigued to see if the MacRumors forums would allow me to post a message with a single character. It does! Anyway, to expand a little, both my 2nd Gen 20GB and my 4th Gen 60GB are pretty much mint. The 2nd Gen had one of those silicone-y tight covers. It's a bit grubby around the openings, but otherwise good. The 4th Gen just has a little pouch it lives in. So far no damage, and it gets used every single day]

Jasonbot
Sep 4, 2006, 01:21 PM
Best way to keep an iPod scratch free: Dont buy one!
2nd best way to keep an iPod scratch free: Leave it in the box!

amin
Sep 4, 2006, 02:16 PM
My iPod Photo (40GB) has been in a case since day 1, and still managed to be all scratched up. Doesn't bother me.

Grokgod
Sep 4, 2006, 02:27 PM
I use my ipod like a madman.

I throw it in bags with keys, books, letters of hate.

And not a single scratch!

I use it to wash clothes sometimes like a rock in medieval times.

And it still working and looks like new!

Its called Invisible Shield!

Cost 30 bucks but its worth every penny!

BWhaler
Sep 4, 2006, 02:35 PM
My nano is scratch pretty badly. I finally found peace with this fact since it is easier than continually babying it.

But my iPod with video is scratched, and that's a bummer. Teething baby was the culprit here.

I'll just upgrade them when the time is right...

Grokgod
Sep 4, 2006, 06:31 PM
HA! Thats funny baby teething on an ipod.

that would make a great picture,can I borrow your baby?

I dont have one.:o

iMeowbot
Sep 4, 2006, 06:53 PM
This is the most tired-looking one on hand.
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1518/ouchpodzz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

pink-pony115
Sep 4, 2006, 07:58 PM
I keep my nano in a contour design case. I'm a freak about scratches.

archurban
Sep 4, 2006, 08:35 PM
practically, I use two ipods (ipod video, ipod nano). ipod video is no scratches at all. but ipod nano? hmmm. a lot of them back and front. it's been used for workout. it's almost abused almost one year. I don't care anymore. recently I purchased nike+ipod kit with nike+ shoes & armband. so it's completely exposed outdoor excepting inside armband. but it still produces nice sound quality. I am amused. you know. ipod sound quality.

kingtj
Sep 5, 2006, 09:36 AM
This topic is a bit touchy for me, simply because I just purchased a "refurbished" black 30GB iPod video from my local Apple store, and upon getting it home - I realized it's in awful cosmetic shape! IMHO, there's no way something that looks this bad, right out of the box, should ever be considered "reconditioned" by the manufacturer!

(I would never have bought it in the first place, except they never gave me a chance to see the iPod itself before the sale! They simply had a number of empty boxes sitting on a "discount table" with price tags on them. Assuming Apple would give me something that looks and works "like new" if it said "refurbished" - I didn't even think it would be an issue, so I said I wanted one.)

It has sort of a cloudy "film" on the plastic around the edges of the screen that looks like it's underneath the surface of the plastic, and is heavily scratched up on the front and back. I tried to buff it with a cotton pad and some jeweler's rouge, and that got the black area around the click-wheel shinier, but didn't really help with the scratches themselves. On the back, it looks like anything that will take the scratches out would also wear down the white etched Apple logo and printing.

Apple won't even return it without hitting me with a 10% restocking fee either.

There are dozens, hundreds of products to protect iPods from scratches, yet here we see in this thread there are still people complaining because the glossy plastic thing they abuse gets scratched. Ridiculous. $5.00 for a tough, replaceable film; buy one.

Whiners who can't take care of themselves or their own property, who expect to have their hands held and runny noses wiped every time they screw-up make me kinda :mad: What would you think about people who complain that their car's paint-job is faulty because it scratches every time they collide with something, and the engine is faulty because it needs to have the oil changed regularly, and the tires are faulty because they need to....you get the picture. I suspect most of the scratchy iPod people are young and immature.

7on
Sep 5, 2006, 10:12 AM
I know someone who brasso'd his scratches away. I couldn't care less about my scratches.

davegoody
Sep 5, 2006, 11:36 AM
hi all,

I have taken the 3G iPod all over the world (in a case), it lives mostly on top of my HiFi, but after over 2 years of almost constant use, it still looks 100% brand new, not a mark of any description !

paddy
Sep 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
Couldn't care less to be honest, the mini has served me well over the last two years and has had a fair few bruising encounters but still runs ok apart from a battery problem which is I suppose to be expected with age.

5300cs
Sep 18, 2006, 09:35 PM
I use those rubber condom-like protectors. My Nano went straight from the box into its rubber case, and hasn't come out since. There is not one single scratch, scrape, dent or ding on it. Hopefully I can get more еее when I end up selling it.

MattyMac
Sep 18, 2006, 09:54 PM
My 1G nano and 5G Video are in invisible shields...virtually scratch free

gadgetgirl85
Sep 18, 2006, 10:34 PM
My 3 iPods are in near perfect condition. My old nano and video iPod wear iskins and my new nano is in perfect condition so far (Haven't had it a week yet)

abeyk
Sep 18, 2006, 11:54 PM
don't you just hate when your case scratches your ipod

eLMafUDd
Sep 19, 2006, 12:08 AM
I just got a "refurbished" 5G, and I swear it's new. Not one scratch or imperfection. :D