PDA

View Full Version : Apple 20" Cinema Display

appleguy
Feb 19, 2005, 06:40 PM
Just purchased one of these to go with my new Mac Mini
and the display has a pink pixal when it has a dark background
only had this a day only noticed when I went to play a DVD now it sticks out like anything.
does anyone know the rules for returning a display with 1 pixal faulty

NATO
Feb 19, 2005, 06:47 PM
You'll probably not have much luck returning the display as several dead pixels are considered normal by Apple. You could try your luck though, although you'll probably be met with this response by the customer services rep you speak to.

crazzyeddie
Feb 19, 2005, 07:05 PM
No way you will get a new monitor for 1 pixel, even if its stuck white on a black background. Try massaging the pixel gently with a very soft cloth to see if you can get it un-stuck.

appleguy
Feb 19, 2005, 07:12 PM
its pink if that makes a difference and only shows up on a dark background

ravenvii
Feb 19, 2005, 07:19 PM
It doesn't matter what color it is or how it shows up. You need 4 or 8 (depending on vendor) dead/stuck pixels to be eligible for a swap. Like the above poster said, massage that pixel up good, it MIGHT get un-stuck. If not, and you REALLY want to swap it, abuse the display until there's more than 4 or 8 pixels dead or stuck, then call Apple up.

appleguy
Feb 19, 2005, 07:30 PM
hum just tried to massage gentenly it appeard to have moved over a few pixels is that weird or what?

sjpetry
Feb 19, 2005, 07:32 PM
If not, and you REALLY want to swap it, abuse the display until there's more than 4 or 8 pixels dead or stuck
Can you make pixels get stuck? I never thought about it. :cool:

You could have a pink backround. Whats wrong with pink. ;)

sjpetry
Feb 19, 2005, 07:36 PM
hum just tried to massage gentenly it appeard to have moved over a few pixels is that weird or what?
Do it somemore and it might go away. If not try to move it into a corner.

I have a question. Why did you get a mini + 20in display instead of an iMac (much better deal). :confused:

Logik
Feb 19, 2005, 07:39 PM
ah yes... rule number one.. want a display with a good warranty against defects such as dead pixels? Get a Samsung... they've got a zero dead pixel policy. get a bad pixel? they'll exchange it for another free of charge. not to mention samsung makes excellent displays.

appleguy
Feb 19, 2005, 08:08 PM
I was just seeing things when it was moving.
but it turns out its not the monitor at all
I changed to a different photo the the pink pixel changed to another corner of the screen turns out its my digital camera at fault, just when I was on the emac I didnt notice it. only when i zoom in on the pictures with my mac mini I and 20" Display I can see it

Logik
Feb 19, 2005, 08:10 PM
I was just seeing things when it was moving.
but it turns out its not the monitor at all
I changed to a different photo the the pink pixel changed to another corner of the screen turns out its my digital camera at fault, just when I was on the emac I didnt notice it. only when i zoom in on the pictures with my mac mini I and 20" Display I can see it

lol, now THAT is a funny one i haven't heard before :) glad it's not the $1000 display :-P

appleguy
Feb 19, 2005, 08:11 PM
Do it somemore and it might go away. If not try to move it into a corner.

I have a question. Why did you get a mini + 20in display instead of an iMac (much better deal). :confused:
I went for the Mac Mini as I needed the portablity option plus when (if) they do release a g5 Mac Mini I will get one and I wont need to buy a screen then

sjpetry
Feb 19, 2005, 11:17 PM
I went for the Mac Mini as I needed the portablity option
I never thought of the mini as a portable but when I think about it it makes sense. :)

I would have gone for an iBook so I could "Mac on the go" (but you have different needs). :cool:

Platform
Feb 19, 2005, 11:29 PM
Can pixles get stuck only sometimes with a paticular color, it seem's that I sometimes get one white one or not :confused: