PDA

View Full Version : Video comparing iPad 2 optimized games on iPad and iPad 2

JonDownin
Mar 11, 2011, 10:15 PM
I shot a quick video (http://gamethingdaily.com/2011/03/11/enhanced-games-hit-alongside-ipad-2-launch/) comparing the performance of the iPad vs iPad 2 with iPad 2 "optimized" games. I thought a few of you might be interested in this.

Let me know what you think.

Oh, and yay iPad 2! :D

Richard8655
Mar 11, 2011, 10:27 PM
Maybe I didn't catch this, but I don't recall any mention. Did you upgrade your iPad1 to IOS 4.3? If not, it really wouldn't be a fair comparison.

JonDownin
Mar 11, 2011, 10:31 PM
Maybe I didn't catch this, but I don't recall any mention. Did you upgrade your iPad1 to IOS 4.3? If not, it really wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Absolutely. I forgot to explicitly say that, but I did mention that I did a restore from the original iPad backup. Both running 4.3.

Richard8655
Mar 11, 2011, 10:35 PM
Absolutely. I forgot to explicitly say that, but I did mention that I did a restore from the original iPad. Both running 4.3.

Then this is quite an interesting comparison. Opened my eyes that video resolution (both have identical) is not the same as rendering, and that the iPad2 has improvements in that department.

maclook
Mar 11, 2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the great video! Dead space looks significantly better and infinity blade looks impressive as always.

phillyred79
Mar 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
Then this is quite an interesting comparison. Opened my eyes that video resolution (both have identical) is not the same as rendering, and that the iPad2 has improvements in that department.

I wonder if the memory difference (512 vs 256) has any affect on loading times since as each new game was loaded the previous game(s) are still in the "buffer" and hasn't been completely shut down?

Stangs55
Mar 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
Excellent video. Thanks!

dagamer34
Mar 11, 2011, 10:42 PM
Want to know what's most important? None of these games are really using the 2nd core in any significant way.

JonDownin
Mar 11, 2011, 10:43 PM
Excellent video. Thanks!

Thanks!

I wonder if the memory difference (512 vs 256) has any affect on loading times since as each new game was loaded the previous game(s) are still in the "buffer" and hasn't been completely shut down?

It's possible, but I think the iPad intelligently dumps the memory if it needs it to load new apps. There is no doubt that the doubling of the RAM is significant in terms of performance though.

DS3
Mar 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
Good video, thanks. For real racing 2 you really needed to start a race though, everyone on ipad 1 is complaining its really jaggy graphics while the ipad 2 one has anti aliasing and looks great.

JonDownin
Mar 11, 2011, 10:47 PM
Good video, thanks. For real racing 2 you really needed to start a race though, everyone on ipad 1 is complaining its really jaggy graphics while the ipad 2 one has anti aliasing and looks great.

I hadn't played it before so I didn't know how to quickly get into a race, but the aliasing was noticeable even in the selection screen.

PBG4 Dude
Mar 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the video. :)

SydneyJunkie
Mar 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
couldnt you have directly linked me to your video instead of your blog/site?

JonDownin
Mar 12, 2011, 12:20 AM
couldnt you have directly linked me to your video instead of your blog/site?

Yes.