PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 and DVD-RW

annk
Feb 20, 2005, 12:28 PM
This is most likely a very basic thing - Ive searched but havent found anything that gives me exactly the answer Im after, so if this has already been discussed Im sorry for bringing it up again...

I have a 1.5 GHz PB with this superdrive:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825:

Capacity: 7.68 GB
Manufacturer: MATSHITA
Model: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825
Revision: DAM5
Serial Number:
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk1
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No

I can burn DVD-R fine. Ive also burned onto DVD-RW fine, but when I want to burn over them, the drive wont accept them as writable.

Ive searched around a bit, and found conflicting info, not all of which I understand completely. I think Ive understood that I need new firmware to do this, but that adding firmware when you dont know what youre doing can mess up the drive completely and void the warranty, and Im not willing to do that.

So whats the deal? Do I have to somehow erase the discs? Is new firmware (or a new PB) the only option to do what I want? Or cant my drive burn over previously burned DVD-RWs no matter what?

IDANNY
Feb 20, 2005, 12:48 PM
I have the same question about my 12 inch powerbook with a superdrive 1.5 ghz will I be able to rewrite on dvd's if so what kind of dvd's do I need.
This is some confusing stuff.
Thanks in advance all of the macrumorers are always so help full.

ChrisFromCanada
Feb 20, 2005, 01:20 PM
Yes you need to erase them you can do it in toast (costs money) or disk utility (free, came with your mac).

In look in Your HD/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility open it up. On the left you will see all of the drives connected to your mac click on the CD (the top most CD) then click on the erase tab and click on erase.

annk
Feb 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
Thank you!! Macrumors forums are great. All my problems solved and questions answered within minutes... :D Im looking forward to having enough experience to contribute eventually, not just to ask. :rolleyes:

IDANNY
Feb 20, 2005, 06:06 PM
Thank you!! Macrumors forums are great. All my problems solved and questions answered within minutes... :D Im looking forward to having enough experience to contribute eventually, not just to ask. :rolleyes:

Yah the people on here are great thanks. :)