Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I always enjoyed reading Josh's posts, it is unfortunate that he is now leaving what I think is a great site and I hope it continues to run well without him.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
shame to see him go. he is one of the better tech writers out there in my opinion. makes me wonder what engadget will be like without him.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Makes you wonder if this is related to the AOL/HuffPo deal..

BL.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Makes you wonder if this is related to the AOL/HuffPo deal..

BL.

He didn't mention the AOL way, but I think it had to do sth with his decision. Actually the whole Engadget team that made the podcasts and the Engadget show is gone. Nilay Patel, Ron Miller, Paul Miller and now Joshua Topolsky.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Hopefully someone will be able to fill his shoes. Engadget is my #2 site next to MR.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Maybe he'll get a permanent segment on Jimmy Fallon's show.

Watching the Engadget Show and when he's on Jimmy Fallon, he does seem to do well in front of the camera.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
So disappointing. First Paul Miller and now Josh and Nilay. As a fan of Apple it was nice to have a guy who unabashedly appreciated their products and wasn't afraid to rate them above other competitors. (Despite the raging lunacy in the comments against anything Apple)

So Gizmodo blows and now Engadget is being 'AOLized' with the talent jumping ship. I will always have this site for Apple-related news but man what is out there for general tech news that is fun AND full of decent journalism?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Josh was the face of Engadget. It's sad to see him go. That being said, Engadget's writing quality has been steadily declining over the past few months, so they have to turn things around.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I enjoyed reading Josh's posts and reviews. He definitely was the face of Engadget. I was really surprised when I read that he was leaving.
I wonder how long it will be before he reveals where he is working next.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I wonder if Leo Laporte hired him at TWiT. On one of the shows the other day, he said they had a new employee coming in, but didn't say who it was.

That would be awesome! I love Leo and the TWiT podcasts.

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
I wonder if Leo Laporte hired him at TWiT. On one of the shows the other day, he said they had a new employee coming in, but didn't say who it was.

Hmmm... I remember Leo saying he wanted a New York studio for a morning show on TWiT.

Engadget is based out of NYC if I'm not mistaken.

Improbable, but it would be cool.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Hmmm... I remember Leo saying he wanted a New York studio for a morning show on TWiT.

Well Leo and Josh are obviously fans of Apple so it would make sense.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

After watching TWiT yesterday, I doubt it. Leo said he was surprised by it when they discussed it. I figure if he were coming to the TWiT network, he wouldn't have brought it up. Besides, Iyaz from This Old Nerd announced he is moving to TWiT.tv.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I remember when Ryan Block left Engadget and people were saying similar things, wondering about Engadget's future. Josh eventually grew into the role and now he's leaving. While it's sad to see him go, I'm sure someone else will eventually fill the spotlight.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
From what i've heard AOL's policies led to the reason for leaving. AHuffington tried to convince him to stay, but no dice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.