PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini doesn't take airport cards!?

bosrs1
Feb 23, 2005, 04:54 PM
Nice of Apple to let us know ahead of time that the Mac Mini does not take a normal airport card but rather a mezzanine card that NONE of the stores have gotten in yet.

jeremy.king
Feb 23, 2005, 05:15 PM
Edit: I guess you could interpret not user-installable as available.

bosrs1
Feb 23, 2005, 05:32 PM
I suppose that's one way of looking at it. LOL

Then again that little blurb would lead me or anyone else I know to assume it takes a normal APExtreme card like the rest of the product line.

PlaceofDis
Feb 23, 2005, 06:38 PM

it does say AirPort Extreme Card, but it also says that it is not user-installable, and that an authorized installation has to be done, so it is no surprise that you cannot get the card right now

bosrs1
Feb 23, 2005, 06:44 PM
it does say AirPort Extreme Card, but it also says that it is not user-installable, and that an authorized installation has to be done, so it is no surprise that you cannot get the card right now
Still it is misleading. Not to mention annoying for those of us that don't care to pay 50 bucks to do a simple install. Though apparently even genii at Apple stores can't do it as of yet.

ChrisBrightwell
Feb 23, 2005, 07:00 PM
Looks like a normal AE card to me -- it's the daughterboard that you're most likely missing.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/miniopen/index.php

bosrs1
Feb 23, 2005, 07:07 PM
Looks like a normal AE card to me -- it's the daughterboard that you're most likely missing.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/miniopen/index.php
Exactly. And no one carries it, even Apple.

appleguy
Feb 23, 2005, 07:14 PM
Just got an airport extreme Card in my Mac mini although I did already have the Mezzaine card already as I had the Bluetooth Module as a Custom Build.
Works like a Charm (gets a better signal than my eMac.)
Also runs so sweet with 1GB of RAM

bosrs1
Feb 23, 2005, 07:26 PM
Just got an airport extreme Card in my Mac mini although I did already have the Mezzaine card already as I had the Bluetooth Module as a Custom Build.
Works like a Charm (gets a better signal than my eMac.)
Also runs so sweet with 1GB of RAM
I'm starting to wish I had direct ordered mine... but I've had so much trouble with BTOs in the past.