Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alywa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Hi all:

I have a 1yr old eMac (1Ghz, Superdrive, 1GB RAM). Over the last week the hard drive has been acting funny (slow access times, beachballs on certain files, strange "ticking" sound). I tried all the usual suspects (repair permissions, run Onyx, etc), but nothing seemed to work. In fact, I couldn't even completely run the permissions repair.

I finally broke down and brought it to the apple store. They decided it needed a new hard drive. Fortunately, I have applecare, so the cost is covered. Plus, I basically have everything backed up, so I don't think data loss will be a huge issue.

OK, so on to my questions:

1. Do you recommend I do a clean install of 10.3 when I get it back? They said they will install the OS again, but I don't know if it will be a clone or a true CD install. Should I worry about this?

2. I'm planning on using Broken Helix to restore my iTunes music. I do have most of it backed up on DVD, but I think the iPod restore option will be easier. Does anyone know if Broken Helix has been "broken" by any of the iTunes updates?

3. How do I reinstall my "library" folder (ie E-Mail, Safari, Address Book etc). I archived the entire folder... is it just a "drag and drop", or do I need to do it for each program (iCal, Safari, Mail, Address Book, etc).

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

-alywa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.