PDA

View Full Version : when will apple make a two button/scroll wheel mouse?

paco taco mike
Feb 24, 2005, 11:42 AM
when will apple make a two button/scroll wheel mouse?

gwuMACaddict
Feb 24, 2005, 11:43 AM
hopefully never. i love the simplicity of the apple pro mouse now.

paco taco mike
Feb 24, 2005, 11:53 AM
hopefully never. i love the simplicity of the apple pro mouse now.
but at least a simple scroll button in the middle would be nice

James L
Feb 24, 2005, 11:54 AM
Hasn't happened in the last 21 years... doubt it will happen anytime soon!

paco taco mike
Feb 24, 2005, 11:55 AM
Hasn't happened in the last 21 years... doubt it will happen anytime soon!
true

mox358
Feb 24, 2005, 12:23 PM
I haven't heard an exact release date, but my "very reliable sources" told me holding your breath was not recommended. :D

cc bcc
Feb 24, 2005, 12:38 PM
NEVER! But I'm sure they are thinking on how to go beyond 2 buttons + scrollwheel. Apple almost never tried to catch up, they'll always try to surpass.

daveL
Feb 24, 2005, 12:42 PM
Why do people keep asking the same question over and over and over and over and ... ?

edesignuk
Feb 24, 2005, 12:46 PM
We've been over this a million* times; they won't do it, get over it, buy 3rd party :D

* may be slight exaggeration.

dotnina
Feb 24, 2005, 12:52 PM
Actually this is something I could see Apple doing over the next year. They've finally put scrolling capabilities in the Powerbook trackpad, so I don't think it's unthinkable that there may be a mouse w/scroll wheel in the future.

But still, I wouldn't hold my breath.

dornoforpyros
Feb 24, 2005, 01:02 PM
meh never, just buy a 2 button mouse from logitech and get over it. No biggy.

I agree the 1 button mouse is stupid but it's what they wanna do.

Now a bigger mystery...when will microsoft make a stable OS?

noel4r
Feb 24, 2005, 01:05 PM
Everybody knows that a two-button mouse is more efficient. I dont know why Apple is so stubborn about it. Was there ever an official response from Apple on why they wont release a two-button mouse?

jsw
Feb 24, 2005, 01:11 PM
I think it's just because they weren't there first and now they've gone without for so long they think they'll lose face if they release a multi-button mouse. Still, yes, it's unbelievably stupid of them not to, at least on the Pro line. Of course, Granny and little Jimmy might prefer one button mice - maybe - but the OS natively supports two button mice and easily supports multi-button scroll mice. It seems like you just need to tack on $30-$100 when buying to account for the additional mouse purchase. It seems impossible to argue that a non-scrolling mouse is easier to use than a scrolling one on web browsing as well as virtually every other app. And how is it easier to control-click than right-click? It isn't. It doesn't really bother me with desktop systems (other than adding a required purchase) but it irks me on the notebooks.

maxterpiece
Feb 24, 2005, 01:17 PM
Actually this is something I could see Apple doing over the next year. They've finally put scrolling capabilities in the Powerbook trackpad, so I don't think it's unthinkable that there may be a mouse w/scroll wheel in the future.

But still, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I was thinking the same thing. It's different though, because the scrolling capabilities on the trackpad are invisible to a user who doesn't know about them. to a person who is not good with comps, it will seem just as simple as it did before this tech was implemented.

I think if apple does do this they would have to make it equally invisible to the user who doesn't care for it. I remember back when apple first came out with the new mice - when they switched from having the clicker at the end of the mouse to making the entire mouse the clicker, there were rumors about something like this. People were saying that the new mice would seem to be just one big button, but you would be able to use software to make it so that if you clicked more towards the right side of the mouse it would do a right click. THere were other sorts of neat things they were supposedly capable of being programmed to do. this rumor was obviously untrue, but I think if apple ever does do the 2 button/click wheel thing it will be done in this kind of way.

That being said, I can't see apple having this up on the top end of their priority list when you can just go out and buy a 2 button mouse for $15 if that's what you prefer.

ClarkeB
Feb 24, 2005, 02:33 PM
Everybody knows that a two-button mouse is more efficient.

While the left button is efficient. The scroll wheel is convenient sometimes. But that right button serves no purpose. I mean...how often do you actually use a context menu? Maybe if it was for Ctrlaltdel on a PC it would be efficient (as that Windows Task Manager is the most frequently used program on a PC). I'll stick with Control + Click.

dejo
Feb 24, 2005, 02:40 PM

when will newbies stop posting the same question that has already been posted hundreds of times?

[Sometimes I can see the justification for preventing newbies from starting new threads. Sometimes...]

tech4all
Feb 24, 2005, 02:41 PM
IMO, one button is fine. But wouldn't it be cool if they got the current mouse design and had it when you move your "scroll" fingers on the plastic it would scroll up/down? Not sure if that plastic material would work, but it would be cool :D

dejo
Feb 24, 2005, 02:42 PM
Everybody knows that a two-button mouse is more efficient.

That is a matter of opinion and not a fact as you seem to imply.

daveL
Feb 25, 2005, 01:45 PM
We've been over this a million* times; they won't do it, get over it, buy 3rd party :D

* may be slight exaggeration.
I'm surprised you didn't lock this thread. This is a *really* tired topic.

Bern
Feb 25, 2005, 03:21 PM
I know iPods are making Apple a heap of money and they are whooing pc users to the Mac side, but investing some time into a 3 button mouse would be nice.

This argument concerning the one button mouse (some of them mentioned here) is tired. It's about time Apple touched base with reality and realised this is something the majority of users want, but will never have from Apple.

noel4r
Feb 25, 2005, 03:25 PM
That is a matter of opinion and not a fact as you seem to imply.

Well, what does a single button mouse do more efficiently than a two button mouse?

sjpetry
Feb 25, 2005, 03:44 PM
Well, what does a single button mouse do more efficiently than a two button mouse?
You gon't have to move your left arm to hit the control button.

Still love my BT Pro Mouse. :D :cool:

flyfish29
Feb 25, 2005, 03:50 PM

I use two button but I do know many people who are more efficient using a keyboard for most of their work and only use a mouse intermittently. Just matters how your mind tends to work, etc as to the preference, etc. Keyboard commands can be very efficient- me, I never want to remember all of them...I use quite a few, but not all for sure.

Dejo You need to chill! Newbies usually don't know how to search and the fact they are newbies says..."Hey I am NEW to this Mac community and I wonder why..."

If you don't like a thread don't read it and definately don't answer it. If you want to EDUCATE a newbie how to use the search tool that is a great thing to do. No one did for me and it took me quite a while to learn how to search the forums. However to educate does not mean talk down to. Use humor like Edesignuk did which is always fun to read- not to mention looking at Kiera one more time...by the way, Edesignuk- multiple posts are always ok for you. The more looks the better. :D

By the way, Paco, when you are viewing the forums you can look up top and do a search which works for the most part to find similar questions to one you might ask. There have been times that nothing has come up from a search using key words and yet still someone posts a thread where my question was asked but it works more often than not for sure.

good luck and sorry for those who forget what it is like to be a newbie.

Welcome!

varmit
Feb 25, 2005, 03:51 PM
edesignuk, so hot, want to touch the hinny!

Hopefully we can end it on that note.

auxplage
Feb 25, 2005, 03:53 PM
Most computer users have no idea what "right clicking" is. Of course all of you making an argument for a two button mouse know what "right clicking" is - you would utilize it. I have helped a lot of people with computers, and people get confused when I say "right click". They then always constantly ask if they should right click or left click. The average computer user never right clicks or does so on a very limited basis. I personally believe one button is superior anyways. To me one button is much more efficient.

paco taco mike
Feb 25, 2005, 03:58 PM
when will newbies stop posting the same question that has already been posted hundreds of times?

[Sometimes I can see the justification for preventing newbies from starting new threads. Sometimes...]
shut up.

-mike

paco taco mike
Feb 25, 2005, 04:00 PM
I use two button but I do know many people who are more efficient using a keyboard for most of their work and only use a mouse intermittently. Just matters how your mind tends to work, etc as to the preference, etc. Keyboard commands can be very efficient- me, I never want to remember all of them...I use quite a few, but not all for sure.

Dejo You need to chill! Newbies usually don't know how to search and the fact they are newbies says..."Hey I am NEW to this Mac community and I wonder why..."

If you don't like a thread don't read it and definately don't answer it. If you want to EDUCATE a newbie how to use the search tool that is a great thing to do. No one did for me and it took me quite a while to learn how to search the forums. However to educate does not mean talk down to. Use humor like Edesignuk did which is always fun to read- not to mention looking at Kiera one more time...by the way, Edesignuk- multiple posts are always ok for you. The more looks the better. :D

By the way, Paco, when you are viewing the forums you can look up top and do a search which works for the most part to find similar questions to one you might ask. There have been times that nothing has come up from a search using key words and yet still someone posts a thread where my question was asked but it works more often than not for sure.

good luck and sorry for those who forget what it is like to be a newbie.

Welcome!
Thanks, your welcoming is much appriciated.

-mike

sjpetry
Feb 25, 2005, 04:12 PM
shut up.

-mike
Agreed, people come here to ask questions, not to be flamed.

Granted some noobs do ask stupid questions, and they should do a search. ;)

dejo
Feb 25, 2005, 04:22 PM
shut up.

-mike

Ok. I will.