PDA

View Full Version : Question about G4 powerbook harddrive

cable
Feb 27, 2005, 10:17 PM
I've had a g4 powerbook since they came out in 03.

I have a 12' with a 60gb harddrive.

I notice now the newer versions offer 100 gb harddrives.

Can I upgrade to a newer larger harddrive?

Is this something I can buy from a website, and install myself?

any help will do thanks

Duff-Man
Feb 27, 2005, 10:41 PM
Duff-Man says...In theory, yes you can upgrade the hard drive yourself...but whether you should depends on how comfortable (and competent) you are working inside a laptop. Doing it yourself will of course void any AppleCare warranty you may have. If you want to see what is involved, have a look at this article at xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/powerbookG4_12in_HD_upgrade/PowebookG4_12in_HD_upgrade.htm) and see for yourself - they list it as for "advanced" users....oh yeah!

Eevee
Feb 27, 2005, 11:10 PM
Cable,

It's possible, but why don't you just get an external harddrive? There are so many portable ones out there. This might be the safest way to go.

superbovine
Feb 27, 2005, 11:57 PM
You can get the instruction from google to upgrade your harddrive. considering your have a 12" it is sorta a pain.

carbonmotion
Feb 28, 2005, 12:03 AM
I've had a g4 powerbook since they came out in 03.

I have a 12' with a 60gb harddrive.

I notice now the newer versions offer 100 gb harddrives.

Can I upgrade to a newer larger harddrive?

Is this something I can buy from a website, and install myself?

any help will do thanks
please get a apple certified tech to do it

cable
Feb 28, 2005, 02:14 PM
well I already have a 180gb external drive.

I want an internal because I'm constantly deleting things to add new things in my iTunes or wherever.

I have 55gb of disc space on this 12inch, and I want an ipod with 60 gigs or so and I cant really do that.

I have a friend whos an apple tech who will help me, i don't really care about apple care since mine is almost up.

Does anyone know the LARGEST size internal hard drive i can get for this 12 inch powerbook??

if so can you link me to one i can buy?

thanks

Wyvernspirit
Feb 28, 2005, 02:31 PM
well I already have a 180gb external drive.

I want an internal because I'm constantly deleting things to add new things in my iTunes or wherever.

I have 55gb of disc space on this 12inch, and I want an ipod with 60 gigs or so and I cant really do that.

Silly Question, but why don't you move your iTunes library to the External HD?

I have a friend whos an apple tech who will help me, i don't really care about apple care since mine is almost up.

Does anyone know the LARGEST size internal hard drive i can get for this 12 inch powerbook??

if so can you link me to one i can buy?

thanks

The largest HD for a laptop right now is 100GB, I believe.

Here (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/item/7421/SEAST9100823A/) is one possibility.

I guess there is a new 120GB drive (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=112894) mentioned on the board.