PDA

View Full Version : ie6 problem, clicking on input box is selecting the submit button

Cabbit
Mar 31, 2011, 08:19 PM
Demo http://cabbit.co.uk/public/demo/

I have a nasty little ie6 problem that has me perplexed to the cause. Every time i click on a input box be it the search one or ether of the 2 in the login area in ie6 it just highlights the input box as if it is active.

I have tired turning off javascript but this did not help so i assume it can't be a javascript issue. And disabling the stylesheet also had no joy so i can only assume i have messed up basic html.

Dunmail
Apr 1, 2011, 02:57 AM
I don't have a machine with IE6 on so can't see the issue directly. However running your page through the W3C validator shows no errors in the html so it's unlikely to be that. When you say "just highlights the input box as if it is active", what do you mean? This, unless I've misunderstood what you have written, is the default for any browser.

Can you enter text in to the input box? Any other symptoms?

jbyun04
Apr 1, 2011, 03:18 AM
You're going to rip your hair out coding for IE6.. is there a reason you're wanting to?

Considering that IE6 is being promoted by Microsoft to die I really wouldn't worry about making it compatible, unless your audience is from South Korea where 24% are still using IE6 :p

Cabbit
Apr 1, 2011, 03:41 AM
I don't have a machine with IE6 on so can't see the issue directly. However running your page through the W3C validator shows no errors in the html so it's unlikely to be that. When you say "just highlights the input box as if it is active", what do you mean? This, unless I've misunderstood what you have written, is the default for any browser.

Can you enter text in to the input box? Any other symptoms?

I mean when clicking on the input box instead of it focusing on the input box for text entry, it instead focuses on the submit button.

While ie6 is not my target platform since the site worked so far without any alterations i don't mind supporting it.

harpster
Apr 1, 2011, 05:25 AM
I mean when clicking on the input box instead of it focusing on the input box for text entry, it instead focuses on the submit button.

While ie6 is not my target platform since the site worked so far without any alterations i don't mind supporting it.

IE6 is not very forgiving. If it works in Firefox then you most likely have html error(s)... things like missing close brackets /> and table cell <td></td> can effect that in IE6 where other browsers assume it's there and will still work. Have you tried and html validator?

Cabbit
Apr 1, 2011, 06:39 AM
IE6 is not very forgiving. If it works in Firefox then you most likely have html error(s)... things like missing close brackets /> and table cell <td></td> can effect that in IE6 where other browsers assume it's there and will still work. Have you tried and html validator?

The HTML is fully valid, i tried it on a couple old dells and it worked on there IE6 so i am assuming it was a problem with the multi ie installation i have on my vm.

harpster
Apr 1, 2011, 10:21 AM
The HTML is fully valid, i tried it on a couple old dells and it worked on there IE6 so i am assuming it was a problem with the multi ie installation i have on my vm.

I also have IE6 running on a XP machine that I keep around just for checking some web sites on it. It is a system install not a VM. I checked your link at http://cabbit.co.uk/public/demo/ and it appeared to be OK as well.

Darth.Titan
Apr 1, 2011, 12:28 PM
When I click the search box in IE6, the submit button does highlight, but I can still type in the text field.

It might be the button:active declaration in the CSS that IE6 is hiccuping on.

harpster
Apr 1, 2011, 01:05 PM
When I click the search box in IE6, the submit button does highlight, but I can still type in the text field.

It might be the button:active declaration in the CSS that IE6 is hiccuping on.

I just checked again and the "Go" button gets highlighted and I CAN enter text and search. My IE6 was installed automatically with XP Pro.

Cabbit
Apr 1, 2011, 01:55 PM
Well as long as text can be entered i don't mind, its a dying browser i wont put much more thought into it.