Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tandaemonium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
I'm in the process of ripping my DVD collection and adding them into my iTunes library to stream to my apple tv 2.

The basic steps I'm doing:
- I'm using the apple tv 2 preset in the latest Handbrake.
- If there are any subtitles I add them one by one and none of them are checked off for "Default" intentionally.

I do not want any subtitles to display by default (except of course any forced ones for foreign language scenes). Unfortunately, every video I rip will display the English (default) subtitle track, if available. I do have closed-captioning off on the ATV2.

I've been trying to google the problem but cannot find or cannot seem to enter just the right query in a search. I thought maybe this was just an Apple TV 2 bug, but maybe it isn't?

Additional info:
I'm also adding any metadata via Subler. And within Subler, I do uncheck the subtitle track which appears to always be checked initially upon opening a freshly ripped-via-Handbrake video file. I figured that would do it but it doesn't.

Not sure if it's something in Handbrake to do, some setting on the Apple TV2, setting in Subler, or even a setting in iTunes I'm missing.

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
In HB under the subtitles Tab you should have burn in and force only. That will only show subtitles if movie requires it. the key is checking forced. You select the track..

that is if I am understanding what you are asking.

Tandaemonium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
So you're saying I choose "Foreign Audio Search" and check off both Forced Only and Burned In; then select English and check off Default here (or don't check off Default but just have English selected)?

The desired result is once I start playing the movie on the ATV2, I do not want to see any subtitle showing up at all - I only want subtitles if and when I choose to have them on. Currently, I have had to hold down OK to turn off subtitles manually for every video I add.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Do the subtitles you are talking about look like clean, rendered text and a black bar or large and yellow, like the subtitles you see on a DVD?

Tandaemonium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
They render fine. Translucent black bar with white text. The quality of the subtitles are great. No issue there. I usually find the matching srt files since i want soft subs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.