PDA

View Full Version : Shuffle problem/question

iJon
Mar 1, 2005, 04:40 PM
So I have been playing with a demo Shuffle here and I am trying to figure out something, although I think I already know the answer.

I thought about getting a Shuffle cause I am in need of a flash disk and felt the Shuffle could benefit me on trips where I don't want my big iPod.

So I set up the Shuffle and enabled disk use and popped it onto a PC and it wasn't reconized. On all the Macs it will pop up as a flash drive but on the multiple PC's would not reconize it unless I isntalled the iPod Software. In that case this Shuffle is pretty much rendered usless to me because I will be using this in conjunction with all kinds of PC's, not just certain ones where I can install software.

If anyone has had success using their Shuffle on just any PC let me know. Like I said, I think I know my answer but I have only been using this for a day so there could be something I've missed.

jon

Pismo
Mar 1, 2005, 05:30 PM
I think you need to format the Shuffle in Windows. Windows cannot read OS X's format (typical). But, OS X can read Windows just fine. So, you need to use the iPod Updater for Windows and reformat the Shuffle. I think it should be able to work after that.

jsw
Mar 1, 2005, 05:34 PM
Hmm. Worked fine for me out of the box, PC and Mac, IIRC (it's been a month). The Updater won't hurt, though, and will bring it up to version 1.1 of the software.

ravenvii
Mar 1, 2005, 05:53 PM
IIRC, it's preformatted in FAT32, so the filesystem can't be the problem. Update it to 1.1, and try it on Windows. If it doesn't show up automatically, go into My Computer and see if your shuffle's there. There's probably some preference buried deep, deep inside there that got tweaked somehow. You know how those Windows boxes are. ;)

Makosuke
Mar 1, 2005, 06:23 PM
I think you need to format the Shuffle in Windows. Windows cannot read OS X's format (typical). But, OS X can read Windows just fine. So, you need to use the iPod Updater for Windows and reformat the Shuffle. I think it should be able to work after that.
As already pointed out, this definitely isn't the issue; not only is the Shuffle a FAT32 disk by default (for exactly this reason--that's the same format all keychain drives use because it's immediately compatible with Macs and PCs), but it won't work as a music player if you reformat it as an HFS+ (Macintosh native) disk.

As for why it's not working, I can't help you, but what OS is it on? I believe you need something newer than Win98 for keychain drives to be recognized without additional drivers.

livingfortoday
Mar 1, 2005, 07:27 PM
So I set up the Shuffle and enabled disk use and popped it onto a PC and it wasn't reconized. On all the Macs it will pop up as a flash drive but on the multiple PC's would not reconize it unless I isntalled the iPod Software. In that case this Shuffle is pretty much rendered usless to me because I will be using this in conjunction with all kinds of PC's, not just certain ones where I can install software.
jon

I had this exact same problem with my Shuffle at work yesterday, when I was trying to use it to transfer some large files from my PowerBook to a Dell. I called the computer services people, and they told me that all the office computers had some sort of software installed to prevent the use of flash drives, because I guess they were afraid of people stealing programs or something. I don't know if you're using it in a university/office environment, but if so, you might want to see if this is the case.

iJon
Mar 1, 2005, 09:04 PM
All these Windows machines are demo machines with the latest version of WIndows XP. Flash drives work cause i have a PNY one that works without any problems on any of them. Like others said its not a formatted problem, Shuffles are FAT32 out of the box. Also, these PC's would not recognize it, but as soon as I installed the updater Windows found new hardware, saw that it was an iPod and showed it on My Computer for use. I guess the answer I'm really looking to if people are taking their iPod shuffles at putting them on random PC's that they know for sure do not have iTunes or anything iPod related on them and the drive mounts like any normal flash drive.

jon

livingfortoday
Mar 2, 2005, 12:27 AM
All these Windows machines are demo machines with the latest version of WIndows XP. Flash drives work cause i have a PNY one that works without any problems on any of them. Like others said its not a formatted problem, Shuffles are FAT32 out of the box. Also, these PC's would not recognize it, but as soon as I installed the updater Windows found new hardware, saw that it was an iPod and showed it on My Computer for use. I guess the answer I'm really looking to if people are taking their iPod shuffles at putting them on random PC's that they know for sure do not have iTunes or anything iPod related on them and the drive mounts like any normal flash drive.

jon

I actually just remembered. I did use it on a friends PC as a flash drive to transfer some MP3's, and he doesn't have iTunes or any iPod software installed. He's pretty anti-Apple, frankly. So it did work there, though.

iJon
Mar 2, 2005, 01:38 AM
I actually just remembered. I did use it on a friends PC as a flash drive to transfer some MP3's, and he doesn't have iTunes or any iPod software installed. He's pretty anti-Apple, frankly. So it did work there, though.
Awesome, I guess I will just have to play with it some more. On another note, when I opened the Shuffle I noticed the huge emphasis on "Install software before use." That message kind of ties in to my problem. I'll just play around with it some more this week. I've only tackled this problem for about an hour or so at work today.

jon

erickg
Mar 2, 2005, 01:42 AM

jon

I use my iPod shuffle on multiple computers (probably about 20-30 so far) at my uni and have never had a problem (all Windows XP machines), I haven't tried it on the machines running linux and cannot use it on the eMacs, but I expect it would work there if it would fit in the eMacs USB ports... :rolleyes: None of the machines I used it on have any iPod/iTunes related software installed.

iJon
Mar 2, 2005, 01:48 AM
I use my iPod shuffle on multiple computers (probably about 20-30 so far) at my uni and have never had a problem (all Windows XP machines), I haven't tried it on the machines running linux and cannot use it on the eMacs, but I expect it would work there if it would fit in the eMacs USB ports... :rolleyes: None of the machines I used it on have any iPod/iTunes related software installed.
Awesome, that was the answer I was looking for. Now that I know it works I just have to work around on it and get it working. Thanks for the help guys.

jon

john1123
Mar 2, 2005, 07:47 AM
Awesome, I guess I will just have to play with it some more. On another note, when I opened the Shuffle I noticed the huge emphasis on "Install software before use." That message kind of ties in to my problem. I'll just play around with it some more this week. I've only tackled this problem for about an hour or so at work today.

jon

i think the "install software before use" refers to iTunes 4.7.1 which you need to transfer music to and setting up the ipod shuffle.

BTW. my shuffle works great with the pc's at school which don't have any iPod/iTunes software on them.

gwuMACaddict
Mar 2, 2005, 07:53 AM
haven't had any trouble with mine going back and forth between pc and mac. although the pc's at work dont have iTunes... maybe thats why. i loooove my shuffle

iGary
Mar 2, 2005, 08:03 AM
Love mine too, had a great 20-mile run with it for the first time with the sport case. :D

Rod Rod
Mar 2, 2005, 09:04 AM
. . . I expect it would work there if it would fit in the eMacs USB ports

The shuffle should fit into the available USB port(s) on the keyboard, shouldn't it?

kgarner
Mar 2, 2005, 03:55 PM
The shuffle should fit into the available USB port(s) on the keyboard, shouldn't it?
Doesn't work there because it wants more power. I tried it with an eMac at school. The ports on the computer are no good, because the Shuffle is too wide to fit in the recess. No biggy as I already have a flash drive and I LaCie Mobile firewire drive I use at school.

Rod Rod
Mar 2, 2005, 04:12 PM
Doesn't work there because it wants more power. I tried it with an eMac at school. The ports on the computer are no good, because the Shuffle is too wide to fit in the recess. No biggy as I already have a flash drive and I LaCie Mobile firewire drive I use at school.

Yup how could I forget. The shuffle wants more power than what's available on the keyboard. I thought you were talking about synching but of course you were talking about charging.

marknicholls
Apr 2, 2005, 11:17 AM
Yup how could I forget. The shuffle wants more power than what's available on the keyboard. I thought you were talking about synching but of course you were talking about charging.

That is so annoying, is there anyone here with a flat panel imac and a shuffle? i have to plug it in the back everytime?.....i think a dock is in order....

Rod Rod
Apr 2, 2005, 11:19 AM
That is so annoying, is there anyone here with a flat panel imac and a shuffle? i have to plug it in the back everytime?.....i think a dock is in order....
I suppose that's why Power Mac G5s have a USB port in front. j/k

IanC
Apr 2, 2005, 11:40 AM
Hey, at least your not a eMac owner. Then you really do need the dock :( (or a extension lead)

miloblithe
Apr 2, 2005, 12:16 PM
So wait, the shuffle won't charge over USB 1.1? Or just keyboard USB cables? Both my macs are older and don't have USB 2.0. Is a shuffle useless?

I realize it won't fit into the eMac's recessed ports on the side, but I thought the keyboard would work.

Rod Rod
Apr 2, 2005, 12:44 PM
So wait, the shuffle won't charge over USB 1.1? Or just keyboard USB cables? Both my macs are older and don't have USB 2.0. Is a shuffle useless?

I realize it won't fit into the eMac's recessed ports on the side, but I thought the keyboard would work.

The shuffle works over USB 1.1. The issue is if the USB port doesn't have sufficient power (such as USB ports on Apple's keyboards), the shuffle can't charge. You can sync on a low power port, but you can't charge. The shuffle is far from useless. It'll sync slowly, but 1GB or 512MB doesn't take forever to upload at USB 1.1.

mleok
Apr 2, 2005, 06:24 PM

Check out the PodBuddy for the iMac G5 from DVForge when it becomes available later this month.

http://www.dvforge.com/portbuddy.shtml

It essentially extends the USB and Firewire port from the back of the iMac, so that you get ports on the side of the display instead, so you don't have to reach back and possibly scratch your iMac while fumbling to get your Shuffle into the USB port.