PDA

View Full Version : Alternate browser showdown!

TorontoLRT
Apr 7, 2011, 07:48 PM
What is your favorite alternative browser and why?

-aggie-
Apr 7, 2011, 07:51 PM
Atomic Web, because itís easy to use and is loaded with features. Also, itís easy to go from Safari to it, since you can load bookmarks.

Skyfire if I ever need a website with flash.

lsvtecjohn3
Apr 7, 2011, 07:53 PM
Safari because I haven't tried any of the others

aleni
Apr 8, 2011, 01:02 AM
atomic browser is really good, but i always go back to safari because it's the built in browser.

i hate safari's way to handle tabs, but i just installed GridTab from cydia to make the tab handling like iPad, much better, not as good as atomic way though, but it's better than the original way of handling.

johnnyturbouk
Apr 8, 2011, 01:23 AM
safari as im so used to it and didn't really take to the others

na1577
Apr 8, 2011, 01:34 AM
I've used Mercury, but it has some serious functionality issues that keep me from using it regularly.

I like the UI, and the inclusion of gestures. But some of the gestures don't work, and there doesn't appear to be a way to manage saved pages. In fact, the only way I've been able to delete saved pages is to completely reinstall the app.

Moyank24
Apr 8, 2011, 01:42 AM
I use Atomic. I can't live without the tabs. You can also import your bookmarks from Safari, which makes it super easy to adapt to.

Lotso
Apr 8, 2011, 03:53 AM
Atomic, I love the tabs and the ad block is amazing!

Jonasgold
Apr 8, 2011, 04:06 AM
Opera Mini (eventhough that it isn't technically a browser), just to save data roaming costs when I'm abroad.
For the rest I just stick with Safari

Daveoc64
Apr 8, 2011, 09:12 AM
The only "alternate" browser I would be interested in is one that doesn't use Apple's rendering engine - i.e. one that isn't going to be allowed on the App Store.

allisfair
Apr 8, 2011, 02:17 PM
atomic browser is really good, but i always go back to safari because it's the built in browser.

i hate safari's way to handle tabs, but i just installed GridTab from cydia to make the tab handling like iPad, much better, not as good as atomic way though, but it's better than the original way of handling.

if you are jb'd you can get browser changer from cydia and make atomic (or any other browser) the default. i never open safari anymore with this tweak.

i prefer atomic cause of adblock, always in full screen (thx to fs buttons & gestures), much better tab mgmnt, browser agents, and prob something else i can't think of now.

RebeccaL
Apr 8, 2011, 04:05 PM
Opera Mini

TorontoLRT
Apr 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
I would love Opera Mini, except it doesn't support retina. Can you say killing flaw?

Melrose
Apr 8, 2011, 07:50 PM
I use Safari - I like the integration, and I like the way the interface behaves and acts like it's part of the rest of the system.

I have Atomic Browser (thank you for the free code, you guys :)) and Opera Mobile - out of the two I like Atomic the best), but they lack the same polish that Safari has. Atomic is a great alternative, don't get me wrong, but given that I'm forced to have Safari I'd rather have Safari and just one browser app on my iPhone.

Opera Mobile is lousy all the way around. I think it has a poor interface and slow loading even the most basic pages (even though they tout it as fast).

RebeccaL
Apr 9, 2011, 06:29 AM
I would love Opera Mini, except it doesn't support retina. Can you say killing flaw?

Yeah that a huge miss. But I think they will catch up. Photohop just added Retina support recently.

I use Safari for general surfing, but when I need sheer speed I use Opera Mini. Also nice when I am aproaching my data limit and need to ration the megabytes. ;)