PDA

View Full Version : Fan and OS questions. Help please.

TrillyandTruly
Apr 18, 2011, 10:42 AM
I've had my new macbook air for about 2 months now, and I love every bit of it. It's quiet and it always feels cold, with the fan never going off. A couple of days ago however, I installed OS LION and I noticed that my mac will get hotter than usual. Not blazing hot, but it'll get pretty warm without me even watching a video, and wifi turned off. Somtimes, the fan will just randomly go off and I have no clue what's causing it. The first thing that comes to mind is OS LION. Can this be the reason causing all of this? I'm a little worried as I don't want my mac to heat up when it's not suppose to.

Also, I would like to reinstall Snow Leopard. Is there any other way to reinstall it without using Time Machine? This is a noob question, but how do you use Time Machine? Thanks for your help!

Psilocybin
Apr 18, 2011, 10:47 AM
I've had my new macbook air for about 2 months now, and I love every bit of it. It's quiet and it always feels cold, with the fan never going off. A couple of days ago however, I installed OS LION and I noticed that my mac will get hotter than usual. Not blazing hot, but it'll get pretty warm without me even watching a video, and wifi turned off. Somtimes, the fan will just randomly go off and I have no clue what's causing it. The first thing that comes to mind is OS LION. Can this be the reason causing all of this? I'm a little worried as I don't want my mac to heat up when it's not suppose to.

Also, I would like to reinstall Snow Leopard. Is there any other way to reinstall it without using Time Machine? This is a noob question, but how do you use Time Machine? Thanks for your help!

lets see what we got here:
1) i am running lion on a 2nd partition, lion runs a fair bit warmer than SL. mine roughly was idling at 60-80 degrees C. i repaired permissions and this seem to knock it down to between 50-65 degrees...i than installed smcfancontrol and gave my fans a bit of a boost to 2500RPM and installed coolbook. this knocked the temp down to about 43-50(steady)

regarding your os's..i definitely don't recommend installing lion as a primary os...bad idea for a number of reasons (1 being its still buggy and you could lose all your data to a bug that may not have been discovered yet). Just use your install thumb drive to format and install