PDA

View Full Version : Gah... calibrating the battery sucks.

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
I just got my MBA today and want to do a calibration early on so that my battery lasts longer in the long term, so I googled around and found a youtube video that showed a terminal command that ramps up the processor core's, yes, both cores, to 100%, quickly draining the battery, but even still, it takes forever lol. I've got 5 tabs open at the moment in google chrome all playing a 12-minute gameplay trailer for battlefield 3 in 1080P with every single program that is loaded on my MBA running in the background, and browsing the web. My battery meter says it has 1:21 left till it dies, and my fans are a 6452 RPM.

So, do you guys know any other hints that helps battery calibration that much less painful?

Thanks in advance.

Also, here's the link to the youtube video that shows the terminal commands that will ramp up the processor cores to 100% quickly.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGqBM_AyN0

And if you're wondering, the reason I'm making this post is to help others that are trying to calibrate their batteries and are having trouble doing it quickly, so I made this thread to give others some tips. :)

msavwah
Apr 18, 2011, 06:03 PM
:confused:

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
:confused:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

If you're wondering what calibrating the battery is, that's a link to what it is, what it does, and how to do it.

zepharus
Apr 18, 2011, 06:14 PM
Um, call me silly... but perhaps instead of BLASTING it you use it normally until the battery is dead.. then like recharge it.

Just a thought:apple:

simsaladimbamba
Apr 18, 2011, 06:15 PM
The :confused: was probably more for the intention you have.
Why not use the MBA normally, as calibrating the battery during the first use does not make it stronger than calibrating on the third day?
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

Btw, if the CPU is used to 100/200 % and the display is at its fullest brightness, there is not much you can do to make it discharge quicker, unless you connect an external display and two 2.5" HDDs via USB.

GGJstudios
Apr 18, 2011, 06:24 PM
So, do you guys know any other hints that helps battery calibration that much less painful?
Calibration doesn't have to be painful at all. Rather than trying to force it to drain quickly, just use it normally. When you see it running low, you can plug in or unplug as needed to make sure it runs out around bedtime. Use Caffeine (link in the FAQ under CALIBRATION) to keep it from going into sleep mode and just let it drain overnight (5+ hours after it powers off). Then plug it in the next morning and recharge. It's really not a pain.

And if you're wondering, the reason I'm making this post is to help others that are trying to calibrate their batteries and are having trouble doing it quickly, so I made this thread to give others some tips. :)
There are scores of battery threads. If you want tips, read the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted. There's really no need to re-create another battery tips thread. That one seems to work for everyone.

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 06:26 PM
Um, call me silly... but perhaps instead of BLASTING it you use it normally until the battery is dead.. then like recharge it.

Just a thought:apple:

If I did it like that, it'd probably take much much longer, and I've have to waste part of my day waiting the five hours for it to fully discharge, then wait for it to be fully charged again, which would take a long time. =/

I'd much rather use the method that I'm currently using to quickly drain the battery within an hour and a half and then just do the rest of it while I sleep. That way I only have to waste an hour and a half, go to sleep or something (since I'm doing this at night) so that the five hours of it discharging goes by quickly, and then just recharging it in the morning. :)

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 06:29 PM
Calibration doesn't have to be painful at all. Rather than trying to force it to drain quickly, just use it normally. When you see it running low, you can plug in or unplug as needed to make sure it runs out around bedtime. Use Caffeine (link in the FAQ under CALIBRATION) to keep it from going into sleep mode and just let it drain overnight (5+ hours after it powers off). Then plug it in the next morning and recharge. It's really not a pain.

There are scores of battery threads. If you want tips, read the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted. There's really no need to re-create another battery tips thread. That one seems to work for everyone.

I was not aware of Caffeine. I only meant to make this thread to give others some tips. It was not my intention to make another pointless thread, so I'm sorry if this thread came off as such.

I do want to thank you for your tip to use Caffeine as that should help me quite a bit, so thank you. :)

GGJstudios
Apr 18, 2011, 06:32 PM
I was not aware of Caffeine. I only meant to make this thread to give others some tips. It was not my intention to make another pointless thread, so I'm sorry if this thread came off as such.

I do want to thank you for your tip to use Caffeine as that should help me quite a bit, so thank you. :)
I didn't mean it was a pointless thread. I meant that there's already a "battery tips" post that most people refer to. As a resource for answering battery questions, that one covers just about everything that most people ask about. I've updated it over time, as needed, to make sure it covers all the most discussed topics.

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 06:38 PM
I didn't mean it was a pointless thread. I meant that there's already a "battery tips" post that most people refer to. As a resource for answering battery questions, that one covers just about everything that most people ask about. I've updated it over time, as needed, to make sure it covers all the most discussed topics.

Okay, I will refer to the other thread then. This one can be closed I guess.

FX4568
Apr 18, 2011, 06:42 PM
Hey its okay, because of this thread I found the battery post.
It helps once in a while to have questions that are too common to be asked, but i can bet this will help more than people manually searching through it.
Never be afraid to ask simple questions :)

Cheffy Dave
Apr 18, 2011, 06:46 PM

The voice of moderation:cool:

klaze
Apr 18, 2011, 06:48 PM
Hey, when your mac runs out of battery, does it go to sleep or does it just shut off? thanks!

GGJstudios
Apr 18, 2011, 06:48 PM
The voice of moderation:cool:
There's nothing in my post that suggests moderation of any kind. Informing someone about the existence of an existing resource before they attempt to re-create it is not moderating.
Hey, when your mac runs out of battery, does it go to sleep or does it just shut off? thanks!
If you use Caffeine, it will not go into sleep mode, but will shut down, instead. That makes the calibration process faster.

RealScience
Apr 18, 2011, 07:10 PM

From the Apple battery calibration article referenced earlier in the thread:

When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, with the safe sleep function introduced in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) computers, the computer's memory contents have been saved to the hard drive. When power is restored, the computer returns itself to its pre-sleep state using the safe sleep image on the hard drive.

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 07:30 PM
If you use Caffeine, it will not go into sleep mode, but will shut down, instead. That makes the calibration process faster.

Wait, so does that mean when I have Caffeine running, I don't have to waste 5 hours waiting for the battery to kill itself in sleep mode like it says on that Apple Calibration instructions thing?

If so, then thats amazing! That just saved me 5 hours then lol. :)

Ya see, if I never made this thread I never would have found Caffeine, and neither would have a couple of other forum members, and I wouldn't have known to use Caffeine to kill the battery faster than Apple's method of just waiting 5 hours and waiting for the battery to kill itself lol.

Ah, I love these forums and it's members. :)

GGJstudios
Apr 18, 2011, 07:46 PM
Wait, so does that mean when I have Caffeine running, I don't have to waste 5 hours waiting for the battery to kill itself in sleep mode like it says on that Apple Calibration instructions thing?

If so, then thats amazing! That just saved me 5 hours then lol. :)
The 5 hours referred to in the calibration instructions refers to the time you should leave your Mac unplugged after the battery drains and it powers off or enters sleep.

The idea of using Caffeine is to override your Energy Saver settings so your Mac doesn't enter sleep mode, even when the battery gets low. While it still takes time to drain the battery, it's faster than if your Mac was in sleep mode, which only uses about 1% of battery power for every hour of sleep.

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 07:53 PM
The 5 hours referred to in the calibration instructions refers to the time you should leave your Mac unplugged after the battery drains and it powers off or enters sleep.

The idea of using Caffeine is to override your Energy Saver settings so your Mac doesn't enter sleep mode, even when the battery gets low. While it still takes time to drain the battery, it's faster than if your Mac was in sleep mode, which only uses about 1% of battery power for every hour of sleep.

I'm still a bit confused by your post. So, by me using Caffeine, I do need to wait 5 hours or so for the battery to fully drain? Or am I incorrect?

Also, do I really need to leave the MBA unplugged for 5 hours. Like is it absolutely necessary? If I don't do it, will my MBA not be calibrated? Thanks for the answers, by the way. :)

GGJstudios
Apr 18, 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm still a bit confused by your post. So, by me using Caffeine, I do need to wait 5 hours or so for the battery to fully drain? Or am I incorrect?
The amount of time it takes to drain the battery will vary, depending on the battery and the load you put on it. It may be 2 hours for some users or 6 hours for others. But regardless of the time it takes to drain the battery, after it has drained and powered off or sleeps, you should leave it unplugged for at least 5 hours before you plug it in and recharge it.
I
Also, do I really need to leave the MBA unplugged for 5 hours. Like is it absolutely necessary? If I don't do it, will my MBA not be calibrated? Thanks for the answers, by the way. :)
You can't calibrate without draining the battery and leaving it drained for 5+ hours. Read the calibration instructions in the Battery FAQ that was posted. The instructions are really quite clear.

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 08:16 PM
The amount of time it takes to drain the battery will vary, depending on the battery and the load you put on it. It may be 2 hours for some users or 6 hours for others. But regardless of the time it takes to drain the battery, after it has drained and powered off or sleeps, you should leave it unplugged for at least 5 hours before you plug it in and recharge it.

You can't calibrate without draining the battery and leaving it drained for 5+ hours. Read the calibration instructions in the Battery FAQ that was posted. The instructions are really quite clear.

While using Caffeine does it decrease the amount of time that I'd need to keep the MBA drained for?

GGJstudios
Apr 18, 2011, 08:18 PM
While using Caffeine does it decrease the amount of time that I'd need to keep the MBA drained for?
No. It only prevents sleep mode. But once the battery is drained, you need to leave it unplugged for 5+ hours, or it's not properly calibrated.

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 08:55 PM
No. It only prevents sleep mode. But once the battery is drained, you need to leave it unplugged for 5+ hours, or it's not properly calibrated.

Oh, okay. See that was what was confusing me. I knew that when the battery in macbook air got to low that it would save the MBA's current state and then put the macbook air into a deep sleep type mode, but I was confused because I thought that Caffeine bypassed this low power state and instead would continue letting the Macbook Air's battery run down thus actually running down the battery to fully empty so that I wouldn't have to wait the 5 hours for it to fully drain the battery. I typed that on my phone and I hope there are no typos and that that made sense lol.

jhatz
Apr 18, 2011, 11:18 PM
Oh, okay. See that was what was confusing me. I knew that when the battery in macbook air got to low that it would save the MBA's current state and then put the macbook air into a deep sleep type mode, but I was confused because I thought that Caffeine bypassed this low power state and instead would continue letting the Macbook Air's battery run down thus actually running down the battery to fully empty so that I wouldn't have to wait the 5 hours for it to fully drain the battery. I typed that on my phone and I hope there are no typos and that that made sense lol.

Essentially the battery should be unplugged for 5 hours after the battery has been completely drained. Therefore, caffeine prevents the computer from going into sleep mode. When the computer is put into sleep mode the battery is not fully drained yet. Once in sleep mode it takes a lot longer for the battery to officially be drained to 0% because it's essentially in an idle mode. So in essence to officially calibrate the battery WITHOUT caffeine would take longer then 5 hours. WITH caffeine the computer ignores the automatic sleep function and continues at normal processing speeds until the battery literally reaches 0%. From 0% the battery requires 5 hours with the power cord plugged in to successfully reach a true calibration.

I hope that's clear enough.

SR71
Apr 18, 2011, 11:40 PM
Essentially the battery should be unplugged for 5 hours after the battery has been completely drained. Therefore, caffeine prevents the computer from going into sleep mode. When the computer is put into sleep mode the battery is not fully drained yet. Once in sleep mode it takes a lot longer for the battery to officially be drained to 0% because it's essentially in an idle mode. So in essence to officially calibrate the battery WITHOUT caffeine would take longer then 5 hours. WITH caffeine the computer ignores the automatic sleep function and continues at normal processing speeds until the battery literally reaches 0%. From 0% the battery requires 5 hours with the power cord plugged in to successfully reach a true calibration.

I see, I see. So pretty much what Caffeine does would be the same as me going into the "Energy Saver" settings in "System Preferences" and changing the sleep time to never and the display sleep time to never, correct?

GGJstudios
Apr 19, 2011, 12:14 AM
I see, I see. So pretty much what Caffeine does would be the same as me going into the "Energy Saver" settings in "System Preferences" and changing the sleep time to never and the display sleep time to never, correct?
Correct. It's just much simpler to leave your Energy Settings the way you prefer them and temporarily override them with a single click on the Caffeine icon on the Menu Bar.

ZipZap
Apr 19, 2011, 06:23 AM
Nothwithstanding all the good battery conditioning information...

Is it really necessary to be calibrating a new battery?

Seems like a lot of fuss for no gain.

The desire to do this implies that apple installs bad batteries from the start.

GGJstudios
Apr 19, 2011, 09:33 AM
Calibration has nothing to do with "good" or "bad" batteries. The purpose is to make the battery readings more accurate. As Apple recommends:
Calibrating your battery ensures you get the longest possible running time from it. Calibrate your battery during the first week you own it, and then recalibrate it every two months. If you use your computer infrequently, it’s best to recalibrate it at least once a month.

ZipZap
Apr 19, 2011, 10:21 AM
Ok...so why wouldn't it come from the factory that way.

GGJstudios
Apr 19, 2011, 10:25 AM
Ok...so why wouldn't it come from the factory that way.
To calibrate, you must first fully charge the battery, and since Apple has no way of knowing when a user will open the box and turn on the computer for the first time, they ship from the factory without a full charge, which is the proper way to store a battery.

darngooddesign
Apr 19, 2011, 11:18 AM

If you're not going to do it properly, don't do it at all.

I just have a HD video looping in the background, and then if its close to drained, but I'm not ready to do it I just charge it periodically so it stays around 10% until I'm ready.

b00st4ddicted
Apr 21, 2011, 01:14 AM

Not trying to steal thread here. I tried calibrating my battery today, and I got the warning that the mac is running on reserve battery and the percent is actually 0%. At that point, I tried to move the mouse to close the message and realized nothing is working, next thing I know the screen is off. My dumb ass thought the computer froze and died on me so I immediately pluggin the charger. Funny thing is the screen came back on and everything works again. Should I recalibrate again since I should've let it sleep for 5 hours and I didn't? Thanks in advance for the help

GGJstudios
Apr 21, 2011, 01:23 AM
Should I recalibrate again since I should've let it sleep for 5 hours and I didn't?
Yes. You need to start the process from the beginning. This time, when it shows you that message, leave it alone. You don't need to close the message, as it will go away on its own. Just let your battery drain and after your Mac powers off, leave it unplugged for 5+ hours before recharging it.

tarsierspectral
Apr 25, 2011, 05:19 AM
Yes. You need to start the process from the beginning. This time, when it shows you that message, leave it alone. You don't need to close the message, as it will go away on its own. Just let your battery drain and after your Mac powers off, leave it unplugged for 5+ hours before recharging it.
When you say leave it unplugged, do you mean unplugged and don't use it or unplugged and use it until it discharges again?

simsaladimbamba
Apr 25, 2011, 05:25 AM
When you say leave it unplugged, do you mean unplugged and don't use it or unplugged and use it until it discharges again?

As the battery will not have much charge left at this point, you can't use it anymore, as it goes to sleep. It just takes another 4 to 5 hours to completely discharge the battery, as the battery still has approx. 3% of charge left, thus it needs approx. 5 hours to fully deplete.

Btw, as the battery is already discharged at this point, one can't discharge again without charging again.
You have read this already?
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

tarsierspectral
Apr 25, 2011, 06:57 AM
As the battery will not have much charge left at this point, you can't use it anymore, as it goes to sleep. It just takes another 4 to 5 hours to completely discharge the battery, as the battery still has approx. 3% of charge left, thus it needs approx. 5 hours to fully deplete.

Btw, as the battery is already discharged at this point, one can't discharge again without charging again.
You have read this already?
I have not sen the battery link before so I am reading it now, thanks!

firewood
Apr 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Nothwithstanding all the good battery conditioning information...

Actually, it's the exact opposite. Apple installs really good batteries from the start, almost always much better than the initial worse case estimate held by the battery controller before further calibration. That's why the battery gauge often doubles the amount of battery time remaining after a couple full discharge/charge cycles.

Mikegs
Apr 25, 2011, 11:24 AM
I agree with a previous post. The OP implies that calibrating is necessary for optimizing battery life. But it is not. Some times however, it is necessary for matching remaining battery time indicator (% counter) with the actual remaining battery time.

My MBA when fully charged and plugged in showed only 99% for example, but after a calibration it correctly showed 100%. But that doesn't mean i got 1% longer battery life.

damnyooneek
Apr 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
If you just use your laptop off the plug everyday you don't need to calibrate anything. i noticed every time i tried to calibrate the battery in the past the capacity goes down. maybe because the batteries arent meant to be completely drained and you could be prematurely wearing out your battery by draining it down to empty. do as you please but i would just not worry about calibrating anything and just enjoy using the laptop.

ZipZap
Apr 25, 2011, 12:21 PM
Mine sometimes show 100, 99, 98 when fully charged and on AC. Does that mean my battery is out of calibration battery?

Could there be a trickle discharge on AC occurring?

simsaladimbamba
Apr 25, 2011, 12:35 PM
Mine sometimes show 100, 99, 98 when fully charged and on AC. Does that mean my battery is out of calibration battery?

Could there be a trickle discharge on AC occurring?
This is an excerpt from the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23):
CHARGING

It is also normal that your battery may not charge to 100%. The battery may appear to stop charging between 93 percent and 99 percent, because the batteries are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. When it reaches a full charge, the light on your MagSafe adapter will turn green. This indicates that it has stopped charging your battery and you are now running on A/C power with a fully charged battery. It will not overcharge your battery. It's also perfectly safe to let your Mac notebook sleep with A/C plugged in.
Apple Portables: Battery may not show a full charge in Mac OS X (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1909)
It's best to use the MagSafe adapter that came with your Mac. You can use a stronger one, but it's not recommended to use a weaker one:
Intel-Based Apple Portables: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord--US (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2346)

If you have problems with charging, this might help:
Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters (http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713)
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964)

GGJstudios
Apr 25, 2011, 12:40 PM
Read the CHARGING section of the FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23) for an explanation. It has nothing to do with calibration.