Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
I have just read the article at (https://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/17/some-macbook-airs-shipping-with-faster-ssds/) which discusses that the MacBook Air's have just had an increased SSD speed with a new SSD chip made by Samsung instead of Toshiba. Just wondering for an opinion here - is this difference (40MB/s read speed) really going to make that much different to my MacBook Air, and if so, should I return it for a new version (since I only ordered yesterday, it arrived today and has the old SSD in it).

Thanks for the advise - just don't want to be without it for a couple of days if it will make no different.

Regards,

Sam

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It shouldn't make any difference in day to day usage. Besides, there is no guarantee that the replacement would have the faster SSD in it.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I've had both and in everyday use you will never see the difference. If your MBA works fine then I would not return it, you could get another with a problem. All these tech sites make it sound like some sort of upgrade, but it's simply Apple using a different supplier. The level of attention this is getting is ridiculous.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I haven't seen any benchmarks for speed differences, but I imagine it will be minimal.

You've already made the best jump for storage, HDD to SDD, no reason to worry too much after that for something so small.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Its nuts to trade it in, the benchmark will hardly be different and edc will absolutely not be different, and btw the 256GB is only available in toshiba iirc.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Take it back. Get a current build. You are spending a buch of money you should get one built within the last 2 to 4 weeks.

It will always bother you...so just do it. Make them open it in the store and check unless you can tell the build week from the serial number.

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
Ugh, speed difference isn't noticeable in day to day tasks, it would make a difference in benchmarks though. I just don't understand people, Apple has released a new macbook with an additional USB port, quick lets all rush and get the new one - suddenly my macbook becomes "old"...

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
No worries on the TS SSD owners. The AJA test has a fault in it for Toshiba drive reading . Your drive is actually faster then you think. More like the Samsung Drive. See the actual AJA result, and the actual list in console from the same test. You have a faster drive then you think:D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-19 at 7.10.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-19 at 7.10.12 PM.png
    92 KB · Views: 130

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Mathematically speaking, if you don't have to pay a restocking fee and you can bear transferring data, then return and repurchase.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I've had both and in everyday use you will never see the difference. If your MBA works fine then I would not return it, you could get another with a problem. All these tech sites make it sound like some sort of upgrade, but it's simply Apple using a different supplier. The level of attention this is getting is ridiculous.

A voice of reason!:cool:

If it has better specs its not just a supplier change. Also, worrying about possibly getting a new unit with a problem is a non-sensical argument.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Ugh, speed difference isn't noticeable in day to day tasks, it would make a difference in benchmarks though. I just don't understand people, Apple has released a new macbook with an additional USB port, quick lets all rush and get the new one - suddenly my macbook becomes "old"...

Your USB comment is just not on topic. If you are in your 14 day return, and they have a better spec'd SSD why they heck not insist on getting it. If you dont think its worth your time, fine but a sweeping statement based upon your opinion...well I just dont get people who make such broad statements. :eek:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
If it has better specs its not just a supplier change. Also, worrying about possibly getting a new unit with a problem is a non-sensical argument.

Nonsense. Whenever you get a different supplier one will have "better" specs than the other. Of course a new unit could have problems like dead pixels or scratches than a perfectly good unit with a Toshiba SSD. Your arguments are more nonsensical recommending exchanging a unit for another when there is no guarantee that the new unit will even have a Samsung SSD and the performance isn't measurable in anything other than benchmarking software.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Nonsense. Whenever you get a different supplier one will have "better" specs than the other. Of course a new unit could have problems like dead pixels or scratches than a perfectly good unit with a Toshiba SSD. Your arguments are more nonsensical recommending exchanging a unit for another when there is no guarantee that the new unit will even have a Samsung SSD and the performance isn't measurable in anything other than benchmarking software.

Rubbish...you make it sound like most MBAs roll off the line defective. Just not true.

AND...Better specs are better specs, not a statistical anomoly.

Perhaps it wont be easy to know if the MBA has the newer chip. Must be able to tell when it was manufactured from the S/N Save bet anything made in March or later has it.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Rubbish...you make it sound like most MBAs roll off the line defective. Just not true.

AND...Better specs are better specs, not a statistical anomoly.

Perhaps it wont be easy to know if the MBA has the newer chip. Must be able to tell when it was manufactured from the S/N Save bet anything made in March or later has it.

This is a silly discussion. There is no evidence that the different SSD shows any visible real world performance difference, and lots of user input saying they can't see the difference (including myself). Additionally, there is no evidence that the Samsung SSD has replaced the Toshiba SSD. It simply appears to be another supplier. Would you recommend he look to see which screen supplier it is for his LCD and return it if it's not the "better" one?

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
No need to return it. I've had both, differences in day to day usage are too small to notice.

In fact, your Toshiba based SSD may even be faster when it's in a used state. According to Techreport and other reviews the Samsung's performance can degrade quite quickly, while the Toshiba controller maintains performance well (Anandtech Kingston v+ 100 review).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.