PDA

View Full Version : $10,000 for equipment, what would you buy?

entatlrg
Apr 19, 2011, 11:35 PM
If you had $10,000 to spend with Apple for your complete set up what items you buy and why?

Choosing from:

11, 13" MacBook Air
13, 15, 17" MacBook Pro

Mac Pro
iMac
mini

iPhone
iPad

puma1552
Apr 20, 2011, 01:01 AM
Personally I wouldn't give Apple $10k.

They make nice products, but they certainly aren't worth constantly upgrading.

If you've already got a Mac Pro with dual ACDs, a top-spec 17" current MBP, and a top-spec current MBA, a current iPhone, a current top-spec Ipad 2, a TC, and a TV, why would you give another dime to Apple? There are no needs you could possibly have that aren't already met.

Assuming you are asking for advice on what redundant products to buy that you already have in their most current iterations, you're just wasting money very, very needlessly.

ender land
Apr 20, 2011, 01:03 AM
if I had 10k to spend on tech stuff, I would buy all AV stuff. 10k would go a long way towards my home theater.

Maybe a loaded 15" mbp because I'm curious if I'd rather have a 15" instead of a 13" but not nearly enough to warrant serious thought for the next few years.

h1r0ll3r
Apr 20, 2011, 08:04 AM
Hmm...given the options I'd take;

(all of these would be ultimate configurations)

27" iMac - ~$4,000
15" MBP - ~$3,000
64GB iPad ~$900
32GB iPhone - $300

Since I'd have about $1,800 left over, I'd probably get a 13" Air too just for the hell of it.

The iPhone/iPad are essentials and would go with you all the time. You'd have both a communications device as well as, somewhat, suitable computer to bring along with you. The iPad would mainly be for traveling, entertainment device and overall general laziness.

iMac would be the "mothership" since it'll store all data and perform any heavy work that needed for whatever your job is.

15" MBP would be your main portable laptop. Lots of data storage, fast speed for when you need to do some real work.

The Air would simply be a backup to either the iPad or MBP in the event one of them failed. Would be redundant to have the Air when you have a MBP and iPad but, hey, gotta spend all the loot you can :)

the8thark
Apr 20, 2011, 08:19 AM
I would not willing give Apple 10K. But if I had to all at once, I'd get 27 inch imac BTO best specs, ipad 2, Logic Pro and FCPX when it's released. I'd get all that cause:

I like editing music
I want to play with FCPX
I've always owned all in one computers. So with the imac I'll feel right at home.
And the ipad 2 sor something portable on the go.

I'd also play for some classes to get my Apple certs in Logic and basic troubleshooting. And a few Apple shares too. Just to round off to 10K. I know these are not Apple tech products per sť but all can be bought on the Apple Store still.

ucfgrad93
Apr 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
I would upgrade my iMac and my MBP and buy an iPad 2.

Tomorrow
Apr 20, 2011, 09:55 AM
If you had $10,000 to spend with Apple for your complete set up what items you buy and why?

Choosing from:

11, 13" MacBook Air
13, 15, 17" MacBook Pro

Mac Pro
iMac
mini

iPhone
iPad

So I can't buy an iPod, any networking equipment, external drives, monitors, keyboards, or other accessories? :confused:

Right now my setup is a MacBook and an iMac. If I had to replace them, I'd probably get just a MacBook Pro with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I don't need $10k worth of stuff all at once.

entatlrg
Apr 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
Personally I wouldn't give Apple $10k.

They make nice products, but they certainly aren't worth constantly upgrading.

If you've already got a Mac Pro with dual ACDs, a top-spec 17" current MBP, and a top-spec current MBA, a current iPhone, a current top-spec Ipad 2, a TC, and a TV, why would you give another dime to Apple? There are no needs you could possibly have that aren't already met.

Assuming you are asking for advice on what redundant products to buy that you already have in their most current iterations, you're just wasting money very, very needlessly.

Of course it's not for me, look at my signature I'm all good for computers.

A buddy has a good problem, spend some money before corporate year end or pay it in tax ... meaning spending 10k at an Apple store has a raw cost to his company of about $4600 ... good time for him to switch from Dell's and Blackberry's and redo his office .... he asked me ... I asked here. Okay?

eawmp1
Apr 20, 2011, 11:51 AM

A buddy has a good problem, spend some money before corporate year end or pay it in tax ... meaning spending 10k at an Apple store has a raw cost to his company of about $4600 ... good time for him to switch from Dell's and Blackberry's and redo his office .... he asked me ... I asked here. Okay?

What he should buy has less to do with how much he has to spend, but rather on what his needs are. Does he need a server, portability, etc. Does he need CPU/GPU power for high end graphics/video. Does he really need a new phone?

Without information on his needs, any advice you get is useless.

InuNacho
Apr 20, 2011, 11:55 AM
Buy $10,000 worth of iTunes cards then turn around and sell them all.

steviem
Apr 20, 2011, 12:05 PM

It probably would have helped to preface it with this...

I guess the main thing is, what is your buddy's business? What does he need to do with his IT equipment and what does he need to run to be able to get his work done?

Does he have somebody there for IT? Does he have any server infrastructure and does he have reliable backup policies?

rnelan7
Apr 20, 2011, 12:09 PM

That is a terrible problem, I hope I never have to face that :D

Mousse
Apr 20, 2011, 12:33 PM

If it's just for his office, then I'd go Mac Pro and 2 27" displays. Dual displays are much more productive than one huge (_!_) display.

If it were me, though, I'd share the wealth with my employees, so 15" MBP all around (make them productive even off company time;))

Satori
Apr 20, 2011, 12:38 PM

I think the answer is right there in your signature my friend!

Seriously though, it would help us to provide suggestions if we knew his job, type of IT use, organisational details etc.

Young Spade
Apr 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hmm.... this is really interesting.
I'd probably go with ....

1 17 inch MacBook Pro for home.
1 13 inch MacBook Pro for when I'm off to class/out of the house.
1 iPhone 5? Depending on how good it is. Currently I'm on the Android side as I feel the OS is more customizable...however if they do something drastically different with iOS I wouldn't have a problem switching.

mrsir2009
Apr 20, 2011, 06:40 PM
I'd buy a:

13" MacBook Air
15" MacBook Pro
An iPhone 5 when it comes out
An airport extreme
An iPad 2

Thats below $10,000 :D

Demosthenes X
Apr 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thinking about my office job right now, I'd likely invest in 2 high-end 27" iMacs for our main office computers, plus another 2 mid-range 21" iMacs for our other machines. Maybe Minis instead of the 21" iMacs.

If I were spending on my personal office, then it would be a 27" iMac + Cinema display, 11" MacBook Air, and 32GB iPad. :)

obeygiant
Apr 20, 2011, 10:58 PM
I need two new iMacs to be the central computers for my home and work.

puma1552
Apr 21, 2011, 12:03 AM

Should've clarified, there are a lot of people here who would and do blow that kind of money on Apple stuff in one fell swoop or throughout the year.

Abstract
Apr 21, 2011, 03:03 AM
Let's assume that I don't already have the 15" MBP that I want. ;)

If I had $10k, I would get a 15" MBP matte with HR screen. I'd also get an 11" MBA. I don't want anything else.

mrsir2009
Apr 21, 2011, 03:17 AM
Let's assume that I don't already have the 15" MBP that I want. ;)

If I had $10k, I would get a 15" MBP matte with HR screen. I'd also get an 11" MBA. I don't want anything else.

But you've got 10k to spend on just Apple products all at once. Splash out the rest of it on other random Apple stuff cuz you can!

anim8or
Apr 21, 2011, 03:25 AM
Im seeing alot of responses with 2 portables...

Why?

If you have 10k to spend then surely getting an iMac for home use and a Macbook (or Pro or Air) for portability would be a better option??

I would spend the whole wack on a new Mac Pro with a MBA if there was any spare change! :D

mrkramer
Apr 21, 2011, 03:34 AM
I'd probably go with a maxed out 17" MBP and a 64gb 3g iPad. The iPad would cover most of my portable needs, and when I need to do something that can't be done on the iPad the MBP is semi portable. Also I'd probably get a cinema display for the MBP, and I'm not sure exactly what I'd spend the rest on.

iStudentUK
Apr 21, 2011, 03:38 AM
I would struggle to spend all that! I live with my gf and assuming I had no apple stuff before-

One 15" MBP (to share), two 32GB iPads, two iPhone 4s. (I'd probably add a time capsule, but it is not on the list).

Can't think what more would be needed really.

mrsir2009
Apr 21, 2011, 03:47 AM

Why?

If you have 10k to spend then surely getting an iMac for home use and a Macbook (or Pro or Air) for portability would be a better option??

I would spend the whole wack on a new Mac Pro with a MBA if there was any spare change! :D

But I've already got a brand new iMac... Meets all my performance needs easily. However my MBP is 2 years old, so I wanna new one (15") plus an air because the air is ....sexy!:o

Abstract
Apr 21, 2011, 06:17 AM
But you've got 10k to spend on just Apple products all at once. Splash out the rest of it on other random Apple stuff cuz you can!

I truly and honestly don't want or need anything else (from Apple). ;) I suppose if I had $10,000, no strings attached, then I'd just buy a Time Capsule, except that's not on the OP's list of Apple products we're allowed to buy!!

Why?

I don't want a desktop for any reason. I have a 15" MBP (i5, last gen), and I use it in my room, on the couch, etc. It's great. It's like a desktop I can use anywhere at home, at work, etc.

The reason I wanted an 11" MBA is to take with me everywhere. It'd fit in my man-bag, my bike messenger bag that I cycle with, and my small 12 litre cycling backpack!

I don't see an iMac, Mac Pro, or iPad fitting in with my life. I'd buy an iPad with the intention of using it for all sorts of awesome tasks ("I can view CT image datasets while having coffee and cheesecake? Sweet!"), but I'd probably end up using it to surf FaceBook. Also, I'd probably find it horrible for surfing the net on, since I can't visit MacRumours and post quickly, since I don't have a proper keyboard. ;)