Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
The Aluminum enclosure of my MBA is dirty and has all kinds of spots and blemishes that is has picked up from the inside of my backpack including ball point ink marks and what looks like ink marks from a newspaper.

What is the best way to clean the MBA? Since it is Aluminum, I am thinking it will be resistant to fairly strong cleaning agents? Will appreciate any tips on this. TIA!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I use a microfiber cleaning cloth and normal water. So far it has cleaned everything. I would try that first then move to stronger substances if required.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I've used a magic eraser for this very reason and works absolutely amazingly. Given it is basically super fine sandpaper, I don't rub too hard and use it rarely, maybe once/year on my laptops.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I use a microfiber cleaning cloth and normal water. So far it has cleaned everything. I would try that first then move to stronger substances if required.

never use water around electronics, it's rule #1

rubbing alcohol or any alcohol based cleaners will work due to it evaporation point is nearly instant.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Where is the best place to find this cleaning alcohol? Sorry if it is a stupid question.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Mmm.. what cannot be found at Walgreens? :p

Oh you want to clean the cover not the wounds, lol.... So would Isopropyl Alcohol work?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-24 at 4.23.08 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-24 at 4.23.08 PM.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 686

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Do not use IPA on the screen. It will dissolve the anti-reflective coating on the screen.

That is for sure. I was just adding on buying Alcohol cleaner. Myself I only use a microfiber cloth and monster screen cleaner for the entire unit. If I had some real grub on the aluminum I would consider magic eraser.

The OP is asking about cleaning the Aluminum body, not the screen :)

Last edited:

bri1232001

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
That is for sure. I was just adding on buying Alcohol cleaner. Myself I only use a microfiber cloth and monster screen cleaner for the entire unit. If I had some real grub on the aluminum I would consider magic eraser.

The OP is asking about cleaning the Aluminum body, not the screen :)

I see my mistake. Still worth mentioning to ensure if OP uses IPA he takes care not to let it contact the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.