PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hour Battery - Macbook Air, 11 inch....

MacMadeInHeaven
Apr 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
I bought a MBA 11 inch just a few days ago. Since installing Click To Flash I am now getting 12 hours use out of it per battery charge. This machine is a monster!:D

tarsierspectral
Apr 23, 2011, 03:06 PM
I bought a MBA 11 inch just a few days ago. Since installing Click To Flash I am now getting 12 hours use out of it per battery charge. This machine is a monster!:D
Hey,

I just got mine today. Never heard of Click To Flash, have to give it a try. Does this require anything special? Easy to install? Possibility of screwing the computer up?

Hellhammer
Apr 23, 2011, 03:09 PM
Hey,

I just got mine today. Never heard of Click To Flash, have to give it a try. Does this require anything special? Easy to install? Possibility of screwing the computer up?

It's just a Safari extension. Installation is super easy and I have never had problems with it. It simply lets you decide what Flash content you want to load.

http://clicktoflash.com/

MacMadeInHeaven
Apr 23, 2011, 03:10 PM
Hi Tarsier, I had considered returning my MBA and waiting for the Refresh that's due in June. What about you?

tarsierspectral
Apr 23, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hi Tarsier, I had considered returning my MBA and waiting for the Refresh that's due in June. What about you?
I thought June was just a software refresh not hardware. I sort of doubt MBA will be refreshed in June as it was just refreshed.

tarsierspectral
Apr 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
It's just a Safari extension. Installation is super easy and I have never had problems with it. It simply lets you decide what Flash content you want to load.

http://clicktoflash.com/
How does it save the battery? I mean how can you go from 5-7hrs to 12hrs just by turning Flash content?

Hellhammer
Apr 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
How does it save the battery? I mean how can you go from 5-7hrs to 12hrs just by turning Flash content?

Flash is very CPU intensive and when CPU usage goes up, more power is required by the CPU causing the battery life to go down. Many sites have Flash ads which are the worst. They are useless and there are usually more than one of them.

From 5 hours to 12 hours may be a bit too much but it can easily go up by an hour or two.

MacMadeInHeaven
Apr 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Mine inreased 6 hours after installing Click To Flash. Thanks:eek:

tarsierspectral
Apr 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hmm, I just fully charged my MBA which I picked up in the morning and I am shocked to find out that it shows only 3hrs and 8min of battery life. I am not even doing anything. What the heck? Is that right?

Hellhammer
Apr 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
Hmm, I just fully charged my MBA which I picked up in the morning and I am shocked to find out that it shows only 3hrs and 8min of battery life. I am not even doing anything. What the heck? Is that right?

When was it calibrated last time? Anything using the CPU?

MacMadeInHeaven
Apr 23, 2011, 04:03 PM
Tarsier, my MBA 11 was only giving just over 3 hours when I first got it. I remedied that by adding Click To Flash and burning Cedar & Sage Incense by Fred Soll. Now, as I've said, I can get up to 12 hours out of it.

tarsierspectral
Apr 23, 2011, 04:08 PM
When was it calibrated last time? Anything using the CPU?
I just got it, have charged it fully and was going to discharge it, but I just decided to reformat the drive removing the language pack. Should be done in 20min. So, I am calibrating it now while reinstalling.

tarsierspectral
Apr 23, 2011, 04:09 PM
Tarsier, my MBA 11 was only giving just over 3 hours when I first got it. I remedied that by adding Click To Flash and burning Cedar & Sage Incense by Fred Soll. Now, as I've said, I can get up to 12 hours out of it.
As soon as I am done reinstalling I will install Click To Flash

Over Achiever
Apr 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
I only get just over 6 hours with my MBA, which includes Click-to-Flash. That's with web browsing and whatnot. What exactly are you doing on your MBA to get 12 hours? Just playing music?

MacMadeInHeaven
Apr 23, 2011, 05:21 PM
Over Achiever. On a daily basis I use it just for typing documents and sending email. So when I have just Microsoft Office 2011 and Apple Mail open, it lasts me for 12 hours. That is without dimming the brightness of the screen or anything. I do enjoy it!

Mac32
Apr 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
No way you are getting 12 hours out of your MBA, that's just not possible. Are you just reading off the battery timer? The does not necessarily reflect real life battery times

sk8mash
Apr 23, 2011, 05:53 PM
Over Achiever. On a daily basis I use it just for typing documents and sending email. So when I have just Microsoft Office 2011 and Apple Mail open, it lasts me for 12 hours. That is without dimming the brightness of the screen or anything. I do enjoy it!

Yeah, I don't believe you.

bella92108
Apr 23, 2011, 06:21 PM

LOL, if the screen and processor are running, it's not technically possible to get anything close to 12 hours. If you're playing a music playlist with the screen off, I might believe it, but aside from that, no way.

It's fairly easy to do the math (current draw from the MBA off the current capacity of the battery = hours of usability)... and if you look at what the traw is even when idle, you can only run the screen about 8 hours.

If you really think there's a way to use email and documents and get 12 hours, you better believe Apple would be posting "12 hour battery" on their website.

MacMadeInHeaven
Apr 23, 2011, 06:26 PM
I got 11.5 hours out of it earlier today on one charge.

bella92108
Apr 23, 2011, 06:27 PM

Course ya did. ;-)

I got 19 hours out of my macbook air earlier on one charge.

MacMadeInHeaven
Apr 23, 2011, 06:34 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a charge I can get out of the MBA 13 inch. I am road testing one next week. Can't wait!:)

bella92108
Apr 23, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a charge I can get out of the MBA 13 inch. I am road testing one next week. Can't wait!:)

Well hell if you got "12 hours" out of the 11" then u should be able to get 2 weeks off one charge on the 13" haha

MacMadeInHeaven
Apr 23, 2011, 06:39 PM
That's what I'm thinking Bella. I can't wait! I used to get 3 years off a single charge on my old white Macbook.

slieu92
Apr 23, 2011, 06:48 PM
how about adblocker?

Onimusha370
Apr 23, 2011, 07:21 PM
listening to music and browsing the web (without flash) i'm getting about 7 hours on half brightness. this is with the 13 inch. if you're getting 12 hours out of that 11 inch, then i'm steve jobs.

J&JPolangin
Apr 23, 2011, 08:00 PM
...a 12 hour long video of your MBA running, or it didn't happen:p

racer1441
Apr 23, 2011, 08:49 PM

Because Flash is written by monkeys with learning disabilities. Very heavy on resources for very little benefit.

Over Achiever
Apr 24, 2011, 07:26 AM

A full brightness screen will deplete the battery much quicker. I get over 6 hours of usable battery life with 2-4 bars brightness, any more and I can't maintain 6 hours. This is after nearly 80 cycles of battery use now, and multiple calibrations. I feel like I know what I'm doing ...

12 hours?

TheMacBookPro
Apr 24, 2011, 07:38 AM
That's what I'm thinking Bella. I can't wait! I used to get 3 years off a single charge on my old white Macbook.

Now you're just trolling.

Looking through your other posts and threads though I can't say I'm surprised. Quite a few of his threads are in the Wasteland.

He was recently in Time-Out due to the below threads [and a few others] so take what he says with a grain of salt.

How do you cope with the man magnet/babe magnet factor?
How do you conduct yourself during that moment when you're in a cafe or other public place and you whip out your 11-INCHES and slap it on the table and all eyes are on you?

I smell and anticlimax
it wasn't anything to get too excited about really was it?

I meant I smell AN anticlimax

This (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1129138) thread is a gem too. Read the second post.

Now to stay on topic- I've never gotten more than 5 and a half hours from my 11" Air after 13 loadcycles (just one week old atm) with wifi off and brightness two bars above minimum.

sarends
Apr 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
That is ridiculous - you will only get the incredibly naive to believe this. I have a MBA 11 and a 13 - I know better.

Listen to yourself - you sound like this:

I put this additive in my gas tank and now my car gets 75 MPG!!

I lost 20 pounds in only one week eating only MacDonalds, donuts and chocolate shakes!!

Twe Foju
Apr 24, 2011, 11:09 AM
lol, should you say 8 hours, i would still believed you

but the moment you said 12 hours, i know there's something wrong

drjsway
Apr 24, 2011, 12:45 PM

You have way too much time on your hands. Getting 12 hours is IMPOSSIBLE and RIDICULOUS. What do you gain by starting a thread and lying about this?

yly3
Apr 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
I made a similar topic. You do get 8-9 hours with basic 11" if you just use Word with 3bar-brightness and WiFi off.

bmat
Apr 24, 2011, 02:22 PM
My MacBook Air didn't have flash installed out of the box, and it didn't get anything close to 12 hrs out of the box--I went a few weeks to see if I could go without flash like I do on my iPad. About five plus hours is what I got. When I installed flash, and click to flash, I also didn't gain anything (obviously). 12 hours seems unrealistic, even for just minor tasks.

bri1232001
Apr 24, 2011, 05:14 PM
Course ya did. ;-)

I got 19 hours out of my macbook air earlier on one charge.

Is it sitting there, not being used with the screen off? I don't see how you can get 19 hows on a machine with a 3-5 hour rated battery life. I call shenanigans.

KnightWRX
Apr 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
Flash isn't installed on shipping MacBook Airs. Obviously, you would have had to first reduce your battery life by installing Flash and then increase it again by installing Click-to-Flash.

The obvious answer to this is why install Click-to-Flash at all, just don't install Flash. ;)

And of course, you'll have to be precise what you mean by "12 hours". This is not continuous use for sure because even at a brightness of 1 and with every app closed that is simply impossible.

sk8mash
Apr 24, 2011, 06:13 PM
Is it sitting there, not being used with the screen off? I don't see how you can get 19 hows on a machine with a 3-5 hour rated battery life. I call shenanigans.

Oh dear...

TheMacBookPro
Apr 24, 2011, 09:07 PM
I made a similar topic. You do get 8-9 hours with basic 11" if you just use Word with 3bar-brightness and WiFi off.

4 hours' difference is a lot. No way OP got anywhere near 12 hours, unless he kept it in deep sleep.

In which case I get 30 days out of mine :p

maclaptop
Apr 24, 2011, 09:10 PM
I get less

st0p.
Apr 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
So much exaggeration going on in this thread...

I use my MBA '11 as a glorified typewriter. Typical writing session:
1) WiFi/Bluetooth off
2) Brightness @ 50% (often less, if I am in a brightly lit room)
3) only (repeat only) program I run is Word

The best I've managed is about 10-10.5 hours.

Beau10
Apr 25, 2011, 04:53 PM
So much exaggeration going on in this thread...

I use my MBA '11 as a glorified typewriter. Typical writing session:
1) WiFi/Bluetooth off
2) Brightness @ 50% (often less, if I am in a brightly lit room)
3) only (repeat only) program I run is Word

The best I've managed is about 10-10.5 hours.

Even that I find quite dubious.

In a most minimal, do nothing state I can barely get the machine to crack the ten hour mark by calculated drain. That is on the first tick of brightness, machine on with no apps loaded, confirmed less than 1% of CPU by any background processes, me _not touching it_ for at least a minute. My battery is well calibrated at 98%. If you somehow got a well above spec battery, possibly, but I think you're adding an extra hour minimum into your estimate.

asoksevil
Apr 30, 2011, 03:46 AM
WTF, you guys got a monster MBA or mines's just a ****** MBA.

MBA 13"
1,86 GHz, 4 GB

Battery lasts for almost 2 hours watching 1080p MKV video, brightness + audio both set to max values, Wi-Fi off, Bluetooth off.

You guys kidding me?

J&JPolangin
Apr 30, 2011, 07:30 AM
...my whitebook's battery exceeds its normal capacity as I only charge and calibrate the battery where I live off base in Japan so the power is 100/50hz.

The slower/lower you charge a battery the more full it gets (to over simplify it).

amarcus
Apr 30, 2011, 08:04 AM
Battery lasts for almost 2 hours watching 1080p MKV video, brightness + audio both set to max values, Wi-Fi off, Bluetooth off.
Brightness + audio are two of the most battery draining settings. Playing 1080p videos is a great deal more taxing then a word document... If you drive a car like a sports car you can't expect to get the rated MPG.

You guys kidding me?
Yes, yes they are.

ditosou
Apr 30, 2011, 09:00 AM

12 hours?!!! Not possible even if you use Coolbook. That value is not possible for a continuous use of the machine. [PERIOD]

impulse462
Apr 30, 2011, 09:49 AM
That is ridiculous - you will only get the incredibly naive to believe this. I have a MBA 11 and a 13 - I know better.

Listen to yourself - you sound like this:

I put this additive in my gas tank and now my car gets 75 MPG!!

I lost 20 pounds in only one week eating only MacDonalds, donuts and chocolate shakes!!

This made me lol.

This thread is full of bs. If you're sending emails, it means you're on wifi, and the screen is on. With only those 2 things on, it's not possible to get 12 hours of battery so thanks for wasting everybody's time.

AlphaDogg
Apr 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
The slower/lower you charge a battery the more full it gets (to over simplify it).

That is not true. There are some batteries that shipped with a capacity that is slightly over spec.

iRun26.2
Apr 30, 2011, 11:06 AM
While 12 hours does seem like a slight exaggeration, I can get close to 10 hours on my 11.6" MBA if I am just writing reports at minimal brightness with every thing turned off (wifi, etc). In normal use, where I write software, compile it, and test it, I can easily get 8-hours on low brightness because most of time is spent studying the code/results, and looking for bugs.

I have been very impressed with the 11.6" MBA's battery life (and low heat generation). It blows my original MBA away!

I think the Sandy Bridge model will be even better. I look forward to the upgrade (assuming I can stomach the GPU).

hystery
Apr 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
deleted - now fancy 13"

asoksevil
Apr 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
Brightness + audio are two of the most battery draining settings. Playing 1080p videos is a great deal more taxing then a word document... If you drive a car like a sports car you can't expect to get the rated MPG.

Well.. You might be right, but how can you explain this?

Brightness set to 1 bar, and just wirelessly browsing I can only get 6:30 hours, sometimes even less if I start to see a lot of images. Apple says it should last for 7 hours with 50% brightness and 30 pages on Safari. Too much marketing Apple?

kazmac
Apr 30, 2011, 06:15 PM
Flash isn't installed on shipping MacBook Airs. Obviously, you would have had to first reduce your battery life by installing Flash and then increase it again by installing Click-to-Flash.

The obvious answer to this is why install Click-to-Flash at all, just don't install Flash. ;)

And of course, you'll have to be precise what you mean by "12 hours". This is not continuous use for sure because even at a brightness of 1 and with every app closed that is simply impossible.

I had brightness on 3 and only used MovieMagicScreenwriter and I got maybe 7.5 hours on my 13" MBA. That program used about 9-10% per 15-20 pages generated.

And 5 hours on the 11" MBA.

Now granted, I am a trackpad spaz, so if I used the magic mouse perhaps my battery time would have increased an hour or so on both. I noticed trackpad usage for me any way was also a bigger battery drain because I just am not used to trackpads.

If any of the Apple laptop batteries got 8-9 hours just running MMSW, I'd still have an Apple laptop (and figure out a way around my wrist issues).

One thing I love the iPad for is the battery life > if Apple does anything with their future laptop design I really hope they can find a way to push the battery life back up while maintaining the same form factor/lightness/power.

TheMacBookPro
May 1, 2011, 12:28 AM
I had brightness on 3 and only used MovieMagicScreenwriter and I got maybe 7.5 hours on my 13" MBA. That program used about 9-10% per 15-20 pages generated.

And 5 hours on the 11" MBA.

Now granted, I am a trackpad spaz, so if I used the magic mouse perhaps my battery time would have increased an hour or so on both. I noticed trackpad usage for me any way was also a bigger battery drain because I just am not used to trackpads.

If any of the Apple laptop batteries got 8-9 hours just running MMSW, I'd still have an Apple laptop (and figure out a way around my wrist issues).

One thing I love the iPad for is the battery life > if Apple does anything with their future laptop design I really hope they can find a way to push the battery life back up while maintaining the same form factor/lightness/power.

If you'd used a Magic Mouse, you would have had to turn Bluetooth on, so battery life would probably be worse if anything ;)