PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Mini Hard drive: Void warranty?

Winstonp
Mar 7, 2005, 12:58 PM
Does it void the warranty?

I have the 40gigger, and I'm considering putting a 7200 80gig in it and using the present drive as an external.

any tips?

KingSleaze
Mar 7, 2005, 01:42 PM
If you perform the upgrade yourself, very probably will void warrenty. (Switch back in the original if you have a problem, might be able to get away with it)

Have an Apple certified service center swap the drive, very probably won't void warrenty. Possibly still will, if the heat output of the new drive is beyond capacity of the mini to deal with.

Norouzi
Mar 7, 2005, 05:42 PM
If you perform the upgrade yourself, very probably will void warrenty. (Switch back in the original if you have a problem, might be able to get away with it)

Have an Apple certified service center swap the drive, very probably won't void warrenty. Possibly still will, if the heat output of the new drive is beyond capacity of the mini to deal with.

I'd agree. An Apple Service Center will be able to do an upgrade without voiding the warranty, but I might recomend putting a 7200 rpm drive in there. In a machine that small I could definatily see heat issues. If Apple could have safely put a 7200 RPM drive in there they probabily would have.

ftaok
Mar 7, 2005, 07:16 PM
I'd agree. An Apple Service Center will be able to do an upgrade without voiding the warranty, but I might recomend putting a 7200 rpm drive in there. In a machine that small I could definatily see heat issues. If Apple could have safely put a 7200 RPM drive in there they probabily would have.There are many threads that say that certain 7200 RPM drives don't output any more heat than 4200 drives. Heat is definately not the reason that 7200 RPM drives weren't used in the mini. $$ was the reason.

eleveneastgate
Mar 7, 2005, 07:22 PM
Check this out, here (http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/mini/high.html)
Good Reference! :D

diamond geezer
Mar 7, 2005, 08:22 PM
Does anybody make a 7200rpm 2.5" drive??

Normally the 5400RPM is considered the top drive to get in portable drives.

ftaok
Mar 8, 2005, 06:23 AM
Does anybody make a 7200rpm 2.5" drive??

Normally the 5400RPM is considered the top drive to get in portable drives.
Plenty of manufacturers make 7200 rpm 2.5" drives. Just about all of the manufacturers do.