Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funpolece

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
If my website's name is MacAppReviews.com can Apple sue me?
MacRumors is still alive so I assume it would be okay?

Here is what Apple has to say about using their trademarks

Company, Product, or Service Name: You may not use or register, in whole or in part, Apple, iPod, iTunes, Macintosh, iMac, or any other Apple trademark, including Apple-owned graphic symbols, logos, icons, or an alteration thereof, as or as part of a company name, trade name, product name, or service name except as specifically noted in these guidelines.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
They'll do the worst thing they can do: Monitor your MacRumors account and purposely not put in Mac hardware updates that you want. If you are begging for a backlit keyboard in the MBA, there won't be any backlit keyboard in the MBA. If you want the OD removed in the MBP, the OD will remain in the MBP. If you beg for an iPod Classic update the iPod Classic will be discounted.

Then you will cry.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
You should be fine. I suspect that they are really just protecting themselves against people releasing products with the same name as theirs with a big blanket statement to avoid any ambiguity.

In reality, they aren't going to mind a fan website.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Can they sue you? Of course they can. They can sue you for any reason they want.

Would they win such a lawsuit? [NOTLEGALADVICE]Probably not.[/NOTLEGALADVICE]

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I'm pretty sure they'd take your site down and revoke your right to use the internet for the rest of your life, or 40 years, whichever comes soonest.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure they'd take your site down and revoke your right to use the internet for the rest of your life, or 40 years, whichever comes soonest.

40 Years? Didn't you read the latest Internet Sentencing Guidelines... the penalty is now 85 Years + 6 Months for violating the Apple Internet Agreement in Mac OS X....

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Yep! American law say that anyone can sue anyone for any reason (I think technically it has to be for more than $20 in damages). I doubt they'd win, but yes. They can sue you.

rookiezzz

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
WA,USA
well, our MACrumors website still here.. so i wonder why? and how? if you're helping their customers, they should be the one who need to say thanks to you :D

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
MacRumors, MacHeist, MacWorld, MacAddict, etc etc.

Go for it. Some companies are lenient, some aren't. Twitter and eBay, for an ie, are very particular about it.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Can they sue you? Of course they can. They can sue you for any reason they want.

Would they win such a lawsuit? [NOTLEGALADVICE]Probably not.[/NOTLEGALADVICE]

+1 for the code delineating the notlegaladvice...

anyone can sue anyone at anytime. frivolous comes to mind in many cases...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.