PDA

View Full Version : What is it about the 11" MBA? The 13" ticks more boxes but still want the 11!

entatlrg
Apr 25, 2011, 01:53 PM
Anyone bought the 11" Air even though they knew the 13" may of been a better choice and far as productivity and spec's are concerned?

I had both, I choose the 13" MBA for 'practical reasons' ... I'm on my computer a LOT, a larger screen typically means more productivity, more power can come in handy, as can the larger HD and SD slot .... and the 13" isn't really that much less portable than the 11".

Decision made, right? Wrong.

I really miss the 11. What is it that is so damn compelling? For me it's not the price difference ... it's just that perfect size I guess ... so super easy to grab and go, do work on, it just works and is inviting to use, perhaps the most inviting notebook I've ever used.

Anyone else feel the same way or have the same experience?

If so what size did you end up with and why?

panzer06
Apr 25, 2011, 02:05 PM
Price & Size. The base 11" is perfect; in that it fits in my iPad bag along with AC Adapter so I only need to carry 1 small bag when traveling. Any other time I use the iMac in either office. It also plays Starcraft ok so I can play when I'm away. The small disk (SSD) and RAM were concerns but thus far have not been an issue.

Cheers,

jmoore5196
Apr 25, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'm in much the same situation ... totally happy with my base 13" MBA, but lusting after the 11" as well. In fact, I bought - and just returned - the 11" "ultimate," thinking that I would be so happy with it that I could give my 13" to my wife.

Well, I wasn't. I'd probably have just opted to exchange for the base 11" and put some cash back in my pocket were it not for the strong June refresh rumors.

I think we've hit the nail on the head in this thread: The 11" has that "get and go" feel that is still lacking in the 13". Now if it just had a faster processor and a bit better screen, I'd be happy making the switch.

Lateraleye
Apr 25, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm totally there. For the last few months researching my next Mac laptop purchase, I was settled on the 13" Air. The max spec'd out version is way out of my price range though.

I then looked at the 11" mostly for money reasons and rave reviews from those that had used one. I priced it out and the max version of that one was nearly the same price as the 13" I settled on (128GB/4GB). So I switched back to the 13".

Now I'm leaning towards the 11" again. I personally HATE fan noise after the last few years using a 15" Pro, and the 11" Air seems to be the quietest portable available from most accounts. I'm sad that I'll have to sacrifice gaming after the Sandy Bridge refresh, but I will just have to catch up on my console backlog instead.

rrl
Apr 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
You just served up a meatball to us 11" owners.

It's simple: The 11" is hotness, the 13" is notness.

Or

The 11" ultimate is... The Ultimate.

Kidding aside, I've always bought the smallest and lightest laptops I could find. This is obviously the best one yet. The others, Dells and Compaqs, served me well, but eventually disintegrated into plastic shards. I was very productive with those machines, and none of them had a higher resolution than 1024x768.

Cheffy Dave
Apr 25, 2011, 02:47 PM
My wife and I adore our two MBA 11" 4Gb Ram 64 SSD refurbs, both are awaiting install of a 360 OWC SSD in each, then they will become our main machines:eek:, Mine will share duty with my 1st gen iPad, and hers will share duties with the iPad 2. We so love the size and weight of our iPads, we chose to downsize to the 11"MBA as well.
We have a 27" ACD, BT Keyboard, and BT Trackpad and Magic Mouse we can go to should we need more screen real estate.
:cool:,very :cool:
Yes Scottsdale I did it! we are in Nirvana, These MBA's are divine!

IscariotJ
Apr 25, 2011, 03:34 PM
The 11" is the true successor to the 12" PowerBook, simple as that. I had one of the original BlackBook's, and while it was an immense step up power-wise, it never felt as portable as the 12" PB did. The 11" Air brings the best of both worlds.

pinkoos
Apr 25, 2011, 03:35 PM
I've got an 11inch. The only thing I truly wish it had is the SD card slot.

peapody
Apr 25, 2011, 03:42 PM
I found the 11 to be too small for my needs. Can't really get serious work done on it so I gave it to my sister.

Beanoir
Apr 25, 2011, 06:08 PM
My wife and I adore our two MBA 11" 4Gb Ram 64 SSD refurbs, both are awaiting install of a 360 OWC SSD in each, then they will become our main machines:eek:, Mine will share duty with my 1st gen iPad, and hers will share duties with the iPad 2. We so love the size and weight of our iPads, we chose to downsize to the 11"MBA as well.
We have a 27" ACD, BT Keyboard, and BT Trackpad and Magic Mouse we can go to should we need more screen real estate.
:cool:,very :cool:
Yes Scottsdale I did it! we are in Nirvana, These MBA's are divine!

I think I just puked...

albusseverus
Apr 25, 2011, 07:06 PM
Side-by-side, the 13" looks bigger and better than the 11".

Put the 13" Air beside a 13" MacBook Pro and they're not that different in size/footprint, but the Pro has more of everything - drives, FireWire, etc. Thin doesn't seem so important with that many features at stake.

The 11" now starts to look like the compact Mac - a better trade off between size/portability and features.

The 11" has a 16:9 screen, which is a more pleasant and useful aspect ratio. And once you work on it, you don't miss the somewhat illusory additional screen real estate of the 13" 16:10. It's bigger, but in all the wrong places. However fractionally different, the footprint -seems- to change dramatically.

If Apple made a 16:9 13" Air, there might be something in it, but at the moment, the 11" is fast becoming the MacBook Air and the 13" is lost somewhere in between. It has thinness, but the same footprint as the MacBook Pro, with none of its advantages.

There's magic in that 11" MacBook Air, no doubt.

sarends
Apr 25, 2011, 10:42 PM
This is interesting to listen to! The reason this conversation is so beat to death is because both machines are SO VERY NICE!

I bought the 11 initially and loved it. But, after a few long sessions using it (4 or 5 hours straight), I began to have serious 2nd thoughts. My eyes just grew tired too fast. I ordered a 13 just to see what I thought. Well, I returned the 11 for the 13 and I am as happy as a clam! If I had kept the 11 it would have been a bit better traveling, but the 13 is pretty compact and light as well.

But, the 11 is maybe the sexiest looking personal computer I have ever seen! But alas, I am 55 years old and I need a little bigger screen. One more thing that I really enjoy more about the 13 is the longer battery life.

Each person has to weigh which factors are the most important to them. It is great that both if the Airs are so great that people labor over the decision as to which is the best for them individually.

Another thing that swayed me. I had a Dell xps m1210 (12" screen) for a couple years (in my PC days) and it was my favorite Windows PC of all times. However, when I got another laptop I went to a Dell 17. I only enjoyed it for about 1 month - it was too darn big, hot and heavy. It was at that time I went to a white MacBook and fell in love with Macs. As of rt now in my business I have access to iMac 27, MBP 17, MBP 15, MBP 13' MBA 13 and iPad 2. Right now I am traveling so am writing this on iPad 2. The MBA 13 is with me on the trip and will be pulled out when I get serious about working!

Honestly, the MBA 13 is the machine that I use 90% of the time when I am working. The iPad 2 is what I use when I am just relaxing or responding to email.

I hardly use the iMac 27 because I hate sitting at a desk. Once in a while when I am working late in the home office I will sit in the recliner with the MBA 13 as primary and connected to the MBP 17 as a 2nd display via Air Display.

Each person has to work thru their own requirements . I think it is great apple has so many great machines to choose from and work with.

oakie
Apr 26, 2011, 04:35 AM
and i thought i was the only one with "11 envy"

i bought the 13" ultimate to finally dump my 2009 15" MB Pro but even now i still wish i had an 11" ultimate. i bought for the best compromise between size and portability, but the 11" exemplifies the ultimate in portability and i wish i had one.

right now im trying to decide whether to buy the 11" MBA to compliment my 13" or to just go with an iPad and i'm currently leaning toward the iPad... but this thread now has me teetering the other direction again.

what i REALLY should do is go with the iPad and use what i'd save on a loaded 11" toward upgrading my desktop.

*sigh*

Twe Foju
Apr 26, 2011, 05:13 AM
for me, the 11 Ultimate is the beauty of all the Airs

just compare it to the 13 Base model with 1.8 and 2gb

i'd rather max out the 11 with 1.6 and 4gb and 128ssd, because 200MHz difference really does nothing and still smaller and very nice to use

i always hijacked my cousin's 11 Ultimate. lol

entatlrg
Apr 26, 2011, 12:33 PM
Glad to read I'm not the only one drawn to the 11" MBA. Still I can't make a final decision.

I can afford both for my business but I'm trying to use less computers not more. That's why I originally chose the 13", so it could be my one 'main machine'.

As sensible as that is I still want the 11" for a main machine. The ease of carrying it everywhere, fun to use aspect just might outweigh the practicality of the larger screen, added power, SD card slot.

I'm still undecided. :eek:

Ol!ver
Apr 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
Just bought the 11" Air for the wife as her Windows machine was on its last legs. She wanted something smaller than her old unit and also fancied getting into OS X after using my MacBook. I wanted an Air anyway so it worked out perfect.

I think if I was buying one for use by me more I'd get the 13" model but the 11" is more than usable for writing on. Refurbed 13" models are going for 13" MBP prices. Yes the MBP is more powerful but how much power do I need to write content!?

The 11" is just gorgeous though.

bcaslis
Apr 26, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have the same problem with the two MBAs also. I REALLY want the 11" for the form factor. But the larger SSD, screen, and SD slot on the 13" make it a much better fit as a "main" machine.

I have a desktop also, but I want a portable to use as my "main" since I can have it with me more. To qualify for this I need the ability to synch an iPhone and iPad and want the ability to process photos from a camera. The 11" can do this but with the limited storage it's a stretch. And the SD slot in the 13" means one less adaptor to carry. And the longer battery life in the 13" is good too.

But my heart yearns for the 11" form factor. If they could reduce some of the border around the 13" so the dimensions were a little smaller, it would be perfect. If they could increase the storage in the 11" and maybe fit a slightly bigger display in that frame it would be the winner also to me.

As it I'm trapped in the middle "knowing" the 13" is better for me but "wanting" the 11" just the same.

andershoeg
Apr 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have the 11". While it IS a very nice machine, I can't really get used to the size of the screen. My eyes gets tired looking at it. I also have an iMac 24", another story, another screen. And I have an iPad. The couch-surfing is done with the iPad, and my eyes don't get tired looking at that screen. So as much as I adore the look and feel of the Air, I can't really get used to the screen. So I am really thinking about selling it, and maybe later buy a 13" Air or maybe a MBP. Tough decision, ,'cause the 11" is a beauty.....maybe my problem is the lack of glasses on my nose :p
B.r. Andershoeg

nebulos
Apr 26, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm under the spell of this little 11" siren as well.

She's just so cute, I want to cry.

Then I want to burn things.

At 16:9, she's a bit short, but her hyper-waif body seems to redeem almost anything.

All she needs is a brain transplant, and I believe Igor has dug one up that will do nicely; He's just taking forever!

After that, if she can pass my quiz, I'm taking her back to my dungeon to do terrible, terrible, wonderful things to her.

Philflow
Apr 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
I first had a 13", then a 11", now back on 13".

I prefer the 11" when I'm travelling. I prefer the 13" when I'm at home.

For me the 11" is too small to work comfortably when I'm sitting on the couch. (I'm 6 ft 2.)

Twe Foju
Apr 26, 2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah, the 11 is such an adorable machine, it's just so hard to resist :p

but again, i think the only let down is the SSD and Battery Power, that's the only thing i think the 13 truly have the advantage over the 11 one

because SD Card slot can be resolved with a single usb sd adapter which i think should be okay if you truly want to own the 11 inch

macjonny1
Apr 26, 2011, 02:52 PM
I'm in the same boat trying to decide between a 11" and 13". I need something for travel, 2nd computer for the kids, and casual computing. Just got a 17" MBP to replace my aging 2007 and I already have an Ipad but I'd like something very portable with a keyboard. I'm thinking the 11" would be perfect...then I would have the LARGEST and SMALLEST macbook!

alphaod
Apr 26, 2011, 02:54 PM
I really want the 11", but jumping from the 15" MacBook Pro to the 11" MacBook Air would be too great. Right now I have a 13" MacBook Air and I never use it.

Cheffy Dave
Apr 26, 2011, 02:54 PM
I think I just puked...

LOL, and you WILL clean that up NOW!
Hey I know the SSD's were a LOT of money, BUT I am semi retired, own my own business, and made a killing on :apple: stock, and I CAN!:p

nebulos
Apr 26, 2011, 03:04 PM
... indeed, for me, the screen does present a potentially serious compromise, mainly the shape. but, i figure i'll give it a shot and worst case scenario, i bring her back and take home her bigger sister.

... though that would make the holidays a bit awkward. :(

macjonny1
Apr 26, 2011, 03:17 PM
I wonder if they will allow the free education ipod touch with the 11" MBA this summer?

nebulos
Apr 26, 2011, 03:54 PM
I wonder if they will allow the free education ipod touch with the 11" MBA this summer?

i'm hoping so. i think the deal has always applied to the $999 white macbook. (correct me if i'm wrong.)

then again, the ipod touch went up in price last year. i've wondered whether they might change it to "free ipod nano" or something. hope not.

we'll see.

christophermdia
Apr 26, 2011, 04:12 PM
I agree the 11" is one of the better small devices out there. For my needs I chose the 13" for mainly work purposes. I work on a lot of spreadsheets and powerpoints, and the 13" just made more sense. I didnt want to get an 11" and "try" it out to find out I needed more space on the screen or drive. Plus the SD card slot was a deal breaker for me as well. I recently picked my wife up another 13" even though she wanted the 11", I know in the end she would have wanted to go bigger...

panzer06
Apr 26, 2011, 04:22 PM
I agree the 11" is one of the better small devices out there. For my needs I chose the 13" for mainly work purposes. I work on a lot of spreadsheets and powerpoints, and the 13" just made more sense. I didnt want to get an 11" and "try" it out to find out I needed more space on the screen or drive. Plus the SD card slot was a deal breaker for me as well. I recently picked my wife up another 13" even though she wanted the 11", I know in the end she would have wanted to go bigger...

With the base 11" 64GB SSD I do miss the SD card slot. That would be a great addition. The 11" is just the perfect size for business travel. I work on huge spreadsheets and just deal with scrolling until I can get to my iMac in one of my offices. Dropbox and the MBA 11" make perfect companions.

Cheers,

Beaverman3001
Apr 26, 2011, 04:24 PM
The 11 seems great, but for me the 13 was much more practical (screen size and SD card slot).

entatlrg
Apr 26, 2011, 04:38 PM
I really want the 11", but jumping from the 15" MacBook Pro to the 11" MacBook Air would be too great. Right now I have a 13" MacBook Air and I never use it.

Why don't you use your Air?

I've had the opposite experience, I went from a 15" MBP to the Air ... in fact we're just about to sell off two 15" MBP's from my office and I'm going to replace them with 13" MBA's, my staff can't wait.

Recently I had a brain fart and thought I'd enjoy a 'large mobile screen' so I tried the 17", it's a GREAT computer but for me it's not worth the trade off in size and weight.

I'm back to the 13" MBA. When I had the 15" MBP I felt the 2" more screen real estate definitely wasn't worth the weight as the Air surprisingly handles my workload really well.

So interesting to read people's viewpoints, I have to agree with all the arguments in favor of the 13" MacBook Air .... but that doesn't make me want my 11" back any less :D

ReallyBigFeet
Apr 26, 2011, 06:16 PM
I had both for a short time. I had originally intended to give the 11" netbook version to my exec assistant. But even she found it too small to use comfortably on a daily basis. I sold it and bought her a 13" MBP instead since she doesn't travel much and the extra size was fine with her.

I think its popular due to the novelty/size of having an OSX device that small. But I'm happy with the 13" MBA instead.

firewood
Apr 27, 2011, 01:00 AM
I got a nice fast MBP 13 a little over a year ago. Then I got an MBA 11 for its portability. Worried whether it was different enough to be worth it. But now I use the MBP 13 far less often, it's become my desktop computer.

The MBP used to go places in a backpack or briefcase. The MBA 11 gets carried around like a magazine.

The MBA 11 is more portable than an iPad plus a small Bluetooth keyboard.

solowmodel
Apr 27, 2011, 07:59 AM
I got a nice fast MBP 13 a little over a year ago. Then I got an MBA 11 for its portability. Worried whether it was different enough to be worth it. But now I use the MBP 13 far less often, it's become my desktop computer.

The MBP used to go places in a backpack or briefcase. The MBA 11 gets carried around like a magazine.

The MBA 11 is more portable than an iPad plus a small Bluetooth keyboard.

Ever thought about replacing the MBP with a base iMac or so?

Jemi9OD
Apr 27, 2011, 01:32 PM
I've been torn between the MBA 11 and MBA 13. I'm replacing a desktop PC with it, though - this will be my main machine.

The price doesn't really enter into it, much - the 11/4/128/1.6 MBA runs 1399, and the 13/4/128/1.86 MBA runs 1399 as well. For the 11, you get the sweet small size and higher portability - for the 13, you get the higher resolution and the SD card slot.

Hopefully there'll be a more clear-cut winner once the refresh hits. ;)

entatlrg
Apr 27, 2011, 02:39 PM
Today I came down off the 11" high a little bit .... I still have access to the 11" in our office so I decided to work on it again today.

I started the day working on a small text only instruction manual for a product, then I took a few photo's with my camera, edited them and inserted the into the manual.

Two things I noticed:
1. The lack of vertical screen real estate, it felt cramped, compared to the 13" too much scrolling required.

2. No SD slot ... Lucky I remembered where my SD/USB adapter was, that's an easy solution. Though it is an extra step and with the adapter it can't be plugged into either usb port if I want the power cord or ACD display plugged in, adapter is too wide, so I'd also have to carry a usb hub as well.

Half way through all this I switched over to my 13" Air and continued working. It was much better, the screen seemed huge after using the 11" for few hours straight.

For typing and editing long documents in word and/or doing light photo editing a few or more hours at a time in my experience yes the 13" is quite a bit better to work on. Actually I'd say it's a lot better.

With the 13" I found the screen is large enough so that you don't really think about it or feel cramped, even compared to the 15" I found the 13" was fine.

With the 11" today I was thinking man, I need to plug into an external monitor, or this kind of work needs a 15/17" screen ... I was doubtful the 13" would be that much better ... I was writing and scrolling though a lot of paragraphs at the time...

For fun I took the 13" and started working on it, to my pleasant surprise the difference was huge, for me it is the sweet spot.

So I'm sticking with my original plan to have the 13" as my main machine, it's a relief :) I could own both I can't justify that and I also think I have a better frame of mind when using one main machine, seem more organized.

I'm going to carry it everywhere too, just as if it was the 11" Air and why not the 13" isn't much larger than a legal pad of paper...

That's my experience... so far.

nebulos
Apr 27, 2011, 03:53 PM
in fact, part of me knows i'm dreaming when i plan on an 11".

aside from the amazing tininess, the lower price has its power too.

but the difference in price isn't really enough to weigh in much on a long term purchase. and, in fact, i don't plan on travelling much with my next mac. (not that i wouldn't enjoy a small size around the house.)

i think the 16:9 aspect ratio is one of the worst things about the 11". it seems really crippling on such a small screen/resolution. its like walking around with your eyes half closed and constantly having to move your head up and down.

currently, the power on the 11" is a no go for my needs, or else i would have already given it a chance, but i hope the update will improve things.

when it comes time to buy, i'll have to think hard, and be realistic. the 11" is a beautiful little creature, and it works well for some. for many, as we're seeing in this thread, the undeniable charm of this machine is overruled by the practical superiority of the 13"; that's assuming ultra-portability isn't the main priority.

i'll certainly keep your comments in mind, though i had already thought of a lot of what's been said, and agree.

is there a reason we're not hearing much from the 11" clan?

bcaslis
Apr 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
Today I came down off the 11" high a little bit .... I still have access to the 11" in our office so I decided to work on it again today.

I started the day working on a small text only instruction manual for a product, then I took a few photo's with my camera, edited them and inserted the into the manual.

I agree with your comments for the most part. I still love the 11" form factor but the 13" really does everything necessary and does everything better than the 11" except fit in a smaller case. I'm going to wait for the rumored June upgrade. If the 11" gains storage and battery life along with a faster processor I might get it then. If it's only a processor upgrade than I'll likely stay with the 13".

J&JPolangin
Apr 27, 2011, 04:57 PM

Two things I noticed:
1. The lack of vertical screen real estate, it felt cramped, compared to the 13" too much scrolling required.

2. No SD slot ... Lucky I remembered where my SD/USB adapter was, that's an easy solution. Though it is an extra step and with the adapter it can't be plugged into either usb port if I want the power cord or ACD display plugged in, adapter is too wide, so I'd also have to carry a usb hub as well.

Half way through all this I switched over to my 13" Air and continued working. It was much better, the screen seemed huge after using the 11" for few hours straight.

For typing and editing long documents in word and/or doing light photo editing a few or more hours at a time in my experience yes the 13" is quite a bit better to work on. Actually I'd say it's a lot better.

With the 13" I found the screen is large enough so that you don't really think about it or feel cramped, even compared to the 15" I found the 13" was fine.

With the 11" today I was thinking man, I need to plug into an external monitor, or this kind of work needs a 15/17" screen ... I was doubtful the 13" would be that much better ... I was writing and scrolling though a lot of paragraphs at the time...

For fun I took the 13" and started working on it, to my pleasant surprise the difference was huge, for me it is the sweet spot.

So I'm sticking with my original plan to have the 13" as my main machine, it's a relief :) I could own both I can't justify that and I also think I have a better frame of mind when using one main machine, seem more organized.

I'm going to carry it everywhere too, just as if it was the 11" Air and why not the 13" isn't much larger than a legal pad of paper...

That's my experience... so far.

...or jump back on the 11" tomorrow and change your mind again:p

I went thru the same thing and decided to settle on an 11" MBA when a good refresh happens...

Funkymonk
Apr 27, 2011, 05:22 PM
I found the 11 to be too small for my needs. Can't really get serious work done on it so I gave it to my sister.

how serious we talking?

MJedi
Apr 27, 2011, 06:00 PM
I was also choosing between the 11 and 13 back in December. My reasons for the 13 was that I was coming from a 15-inch 2007 MBP and I thought going down to the screen size of the 11 was too drastic. Plus, the 13 has the same resolution as that MBP. However, the portability of the 11 was tempting.

What I did was get my wife an 11 for Christmas to replace her 2006 MacBook. She wanted that size anyway. Then I tried using it a few times. At work I'm the Mac Support Tech, so any new Mac passes through me for setup and configuration. The company bought a few 13-inch MBA's so I was able to use those, too.

After comparing the experience with both sizes, I chose the 11. The screen size wasn't a problem for me since I only use it for e-mail and Web browsing. The size and weight are also great and I take the MBA to the office instead of my MBP. Great for traveling, too.

I think the 11 is a great 2nd Mac. My MBP is still my primary Mac for more intensive tasks. In thinking of the 11 as a secondary Mac, it's perfect for me. If I wanted to replace my MBP, then I would prefer the 13.

foiden
Apr 27, 2011, 06:02 PM
I'd still love to have an 11" myself. That size is just too awesome. It's that perfect size in which it fits in a lot of spaces that even the 13" can't fit. (Think of it as one of the only truly disappearing full-fledged laptops).

On the other hand, I don't have 15" laptops now, but I did have one 17" Old Gateway that had 1440x900 resolution. I didn't like the bulky size and the weight of it, but that resolution is awesome. The 13" was a way to get the best of all worlds. Highly compact and yet a full blown resolution that handles some of the bigger space-using jobs that any laptop could have. What's nice is that some of my (full screen) using apps now only use a portion of my desktop as a window. Fantastic stuff, and surprisingly good performance.

While I had no real doubts about the 11" performance, my 13" resolution has come in handy a lot and so has that SDcard slot. (I think my learning of how that slot can also utilize the real high density SDXC cards, sealed the deal). Not to mention, the speed of the SDcard slot. I think the impressive 13" MBA battery life was another little factor.

Still, as a true *on the go* machine, that 11" seems quite nice.

entatlrg
Apr 27, 2011, 08:51 PM
Yes, the 11" is definitely an awesome notebook.

I'm looking for a 'main machine'.

For the long hours I'm on a computer and the type of work I do the 13" is the sensible choice, you get a noticeable amount of added screen real estate which I appreciate.

patrixl
Apr 28, 2011, 04:35 AM
(quick history)

First Mac: Powerbook 3400c, running Linux cuz it was way after its shelving date. great!
Then Macbook white, unibody white Macbook, and finally Macbook Pro 15" anti-glare, 2010 model.

I started traveling a lot, and in a country where everything is small - Japan. I needed something portable to take with me without destroying my back or slowing me down. On a whim, I went with the 11"

Since then, the 15" MBP has been collecting dust, trying to be sold off.

The 11" has become my main machine, at home, on trips, at cafés, while biking, sometimes even in the trains! Coupled with my wimax wifi router which has an 8 hour battery, I can work pretty much anywhere and be connected whenever I need.

What do I do with it???

I'm a system administrator, so I log on to servers (ssh, remote desktop), run Java apps, use the web browser and email a lot to manage work-related stuff, IM for communicating with coworkers, etc. I even comfortably run Linux and Win7 VMs on an as-needed basis (running off my external USB drive, so no VM when I'm out and about - which is good for the battery anyway)

On my own time, it's IM again for friends, Skype for videochatting, VLC/Flash for movies and TV shows, some iTunes thrown in (yup got my whole 30GB music collection on the MBA - I've seen people with massive 100GB+ collections, that's not me haha).

I reguarly run 2-3 browsers at once, got 2 accounts on the system often running simulatneously, each with Mail.app, browsers (Chrome is my main one, got Opera and Safari also) sometimes running, iTunes sometimes, Terminal and so onnnnnn.

This machine does everything my MBP 15" did except run Civ5 well. Good thing, too busy to play that anyway. Once in a while I feel like the CPU is struggling (scrolling web pages while other pages with Flash are in other tabs for example), otherwise the SSD makes up quite nicely for the speed that I feel from the machine.

Used to be I had to think hard about what I would do on a given day and when I'd come back home to see if I had to bring my MBP or not so I could get some work done. Now, if I expect to be gone for at least a couple of hours, I just plop my MBA in my bag and barely think about it until I need it. Charger is small and light too so I tend to bring that more often than before.

J&JPolangin
Apr 28, 2011, 06:56 AM
...Coupled with my wimax wifi router which has an 8 hour battery, I can work pretty much anywhere and be connected whenever I need....

What company wimax router do you use and what's the monthly fee?

I'm trying to decide on a 3G sim for my iPad or a wimax router for my laptops and iPod touch with in the next month so any info you could give would be appreciated.

dal20402
Apr 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
Sorry, don't get it.

768 vertical pixels was not enough back in 12" PB days and is not enough now. I feel like I'm looking at my document through a little gunslit.

900 vertical pixels is a big improvement. And the 13" is still tiny and featherweight for a notebook.

rrl
Apr 28, 2011, 08:48 AM
The 13"ers are always gonna be 13"ers. Trust me, they would rationalize their purchase even if the 11" was 1600x900.

bcaslis
Apr 28, 2011, 08:55 AM
The 13"ers are always gonna be 13"ers. Trust me, they would rationalize their purchase even if the 11" was 1600x900.

I think that's not correct. Some people need more than 128GB you know. Yes, you can carry an external drive but then why not carry a larger machine with more internal storage?

The 1366x768 resolution can be limiting. For example, Apple's own Server Admin software will barely show the summary page at 768 pixels tall. The bottom row of graphs are tiny squished things at the bottom. It's clearly not meant to run on this small a display. And it's a perfect example of something you would want on a small carry it anywhere Mac.

rrl
Apr 28, 2011, 09:12 AM
I think that's not correct. Some people need more than 128GB you know. Yes, you can carry an external drive but then why not carry a larger machine with more internal storage?

The 1366x768 resolution can be limiting. For example, Apple's own Server Admin software will barely show the summary page at 768 pixels tall. The bottom row of graphs are tiny squished things at the bottom. It's clearly not meant to run on this small a display. And it's a perfect example of something you would want on a small carry it anywhere Mac.

Like I was saying...

entatlrg
Apr 28, 2011, 09:33 AM
Like I was saying...

Such good input to this thread, thanks for taking the time to make the effort! :rolleyes:

TrollToddington
Apr 28, 2011, 09:34 AM
Actually, quite a lot of 15" the low-range laptops are sold with resolutions of 1366x768. Our office is full of fliers advertising such laptops. My dieing acer is 15.4" 1280x800. Editing files with Eclipse is tricky. Of course, one can hide the application bar at the bottom to free up some vertical space. Besides, regarding the 11" air, the photos in iPhoto looked twice smaller than a post card.

But, having used a laptop with a similar screen resoluting as the 11" for 2+ years, i do think such limited screen space is doable. Personally, I won't lose much resolution-wise.

macaddict3
Apr 28, 2011, 09:49 AM
Yea I had the same problem as well, I really loved the 11 macbook air but than after awhile I switched back to the 13 inch macbook air b/c my neck cant handle it anymore and I feel really clastrophobic. It hurts real bad so I dont think I will be going back to the 11 inch any sooner.

rrl
Apr 28, 2011, 10:11 AM
Such good input to this thread, thanks for taking the time to make the effort! :rolleyes:

For someone that created a fluff thread, you're taking yourself too seriously. What did you expect, people to not defend their purchase?

My opinion stands: For the equal-but-opposite reason that I would never buy the 13", there's that group of people that would never buy the 11". The latter group is too practical. The former, too cool. It's personal, as is productivity. Apple did the MBA offerings right this time. But this guy said it best:

Sorry, don't get it.

maclaptop
Apr 28, 2011, 10:19 AM
Its simple really. Do like I did, get both.

Just be sure you get them with 4GB ram.

nebulos
Apr 28, 2011, 11:03 AM

wow. you just resolved the entire field of economics:

how to solve the problem of allocating scarce resources?

... just make them un-scarce! duh.

kudos.

bcaslis
Apr 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
For someone that created a fluff thread, you're taking yourself too seriously. What did you expect, people to not defend their purchase?

My opinion stands: For the equal-but-opposite reason that I would never buy the 13", there's that group of people that would never buy the 11". The latter group is too practical. The former, too cool. It's personal, as is productivity. Apple did the MBA offerings right this time. But this guy said it best:

You original said that some people would never buy the 11" even if it had more resolution. I pointed out that some apps are limited by the current resolution. You seem to think it proves your point, but it does the opposite. I'm saying for some apps you need more resolution and some apps you need more storage. Nothing about that says that if the 11" offered either it would not be a choice instead of the 13". I see no logic in your statements, simply an attitude.

ejb190
Apr 28, 2011, 11:14 AM
Let me add another perspective. I have owned several laptops - two of them "sub-notebooks".

A Compaq Contura Aero 25/80 & 8" monochrome screen and a bit smaller then the 12" PB - way ahead of it's time.
A G3 PowerBook Wallstreet
A 12" G4 Powerbook 866
Not to mention various Dell's for work...

Frankly, I always found the "full-size" laptops to be burdensome, especially when you add the power supplies, cables, the LCD projector, and everything else you happen to be toting along. Every pound I could get out of my backpack or briefcase was appreciated so I would often trade out my work Dell for my personal PB 12". The 12" was never a good gaming system, but it did plenty of presentations, FileMaker Pro databases, Quicken, web surfing, and letters over the years.

It always seems to come down to trading weight for power and screen resolution. As someone who did a lot of PowerPoint and Keynote, I'll make that trade.

At the end of the day, you're either going to love the 11" MBA or you're going to hate it. It all depends on what you need out of your computer.

rrl
Apr 28, 2011, 12:40 PM
You original said that some people would never buy the 11" even if it had more resolution. I pointed out that some apps are limited by the current resolution. You seem to think it proves your point, but it does the opposite. I'm saying for some apps you need more resolution and some apps you need more storage. Nothing about that says that if the 11" offered either it would not be a choice instead of the 13". I see no logic in your statements, simply an attitude.

Let's back up for a moment. Why are screens in landscape mode to begin with? Because the CRTs, which were meant for video were. [see: RF modulator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_modulator)] Mainstream computer screens should have mimicked books, newspapers, and documents rather than televisions, but that's not how it played out. So, unconsciously we adjusted to text in landscape. Kind of stupid, really.

Then came the laptop. Well, a landscape display continued to seem logical 'cause the keyboard was wide. Awesome!

And now we have tablets. Finally, a device in the proper book/newspaper/document orientation. But look! You can rotate it to view multi-media! Perfect! My twenty year wait is over! Wait, what? It's gonna run iOS instead of Mac OS X? Genius!

Laptops have always been a compromise, and thus the choice has always come down to personal preference. Please stop arguing that one is better than the other, because as some of us have been trying to tell you, you'd be wrong.

bcaslis
Apr 28, 2011, 12:49 PM
Laptops have always been a compromise, and thus the choice has always come down to personal preference. Please stop arguing that one is better than the other, because as some of us have been trying to tell you, you'd be wrong.

I have no idea what kind of point you think you are making to this thread. Nobody has ever argued that laptops aren't a compromise. You seemed to argue earlier that some will always hate the 11" (for example no matter how much resolution it will be bad). I made the point that depending on what exactly the tradeoff is (storage versus resolution, etc...) that this will change who wants the 11" and doesn't.

If you are going to argue a point, you should actually have a point to make in mind. I have no idea what you think you are trying to say here. You're trying to say it's personal preference? Of course! Nobody here has ever said there is only one "right" answer.

rrl
Apr 28, 2011, 01:29 PM
I have no idea what kind of point you think you are making to this thread. Nobody has ever argued that laptops aren't a compromise. You seemed to argue earlier that some will always hate the 11" (for example no matter how much resolution it will be bad). I made the point that depending on what exactly the tradeoff is (storage versus resolution, etc...) that this will change who wants the 11" and doesn't.

If you are going to argue a point, you should actually have a point to make in mind. I have no idea what you think you are trying to say here. You're trying to say it's personal preference? Of course! Nobody here has ever said there is only one "right" answer.

Hate is a strong word and I didn't use it, but I am arguing that the 11" brought the MBA to the forefront of a conversation. Remember when the first Air was released? Wasn't there a big consensus that: "Yeah, so what?" I'm saying that would still be the general consensus if Apple only refreshed the 13". Size, weight, and to the OP's point, "invitingness" matter. For me and many others, the MBA is finally where it always should have been.

Now, go back and read the first post.

patrixl
Apr 28, 2011, 04:29 PM
What company wimax router do you use and what's the monthly fee?

I'm on UQ Wimax with an NEC A t e r m W M 3 5 0 0 R router. It's a POS really, I keep losing my wifi connection when I have my laptop AND my Android phone(s) connected. But it's so inconsistent, sometimes hours go by before I get an issue, sometimes it happens within minutes.

I only keep it cuz it's fairly stable with just my MBA connected, and because of the amazing 8 hours of battery.

This was plan with no contract, and flat fee for unlimited (actually really unlimited, this is Japan!) data. ¥4490/month. With contract is ¥500 cheaper or something, maybe ¥1000. Can't remember. Device itself was ¥5100, and activation was another ¥2-3000.

Patrix.

kazmac
Apr 28, 2011, 04:44 PM
This is interesting to listen to! The reason this conversation is so beat to death is because both machines are SO VERY NICE!

I bought the 11 initially and loved it. But, after a few long sessions using it (4 or 5 hours straight), I began to have serious 2nd thoughts. My eyes just grew tired too fast. I ordered a 13 just to see what I thought. Well, I returned the 11 for the 13 and I am as happy as a clam! If I had kept the 11 it would have been a bit better traveling, but the 13 is pretty compact and light as well.

But, the 11 is maybe the sexiest looking personal computer I have ever seen! But alas, I am 55 years old and I need a little bigger screen. One more thing that I really enjoy more about the 13 is the longer battery life.

Each person has to weigh which factors are the most important to them. It is great that both if the Airs are so great that people labor over the decision as to which is the best for them individually.

Another thing that swayed me. I had a Dell xps m1210 (12" screen) for a couple years (in my PC days) and it was my favorite Windows PC of all times. However, when I got another laptop I went to a Dell 17. I only enjoyed it for about 1 month - it was too darn big, hot and heavy. It was at that time I went to a white MacBook and fell in love with Macs. As of rt now in my business I have access to iMac 27, MBP 17, MBP 15, MBP 13' MBA 13 and iPad 2. Right now I am traveling so am writing this on iPad 2. The MBA 13 is with me on the trip and will be pulled out when I get serious about working!

Honestly, the MBA 13 is the machine that I use 90% of the time when I am working. The iPad 2 is what I use when I am just relaxing or responding to email.

I hardly use the iMac 27 because I hate sitting at a desk. Once in a while when I am working late in the home office I will sit in the recliner with the MBA 13 as primary and connected to the MBP 17 as a 2nd display via Air Display.

Each person has to work thru their own requirements . I think it is great apple has so many great machines to choose from and work with.

Wonderful post.

If and when I decide to go back to a Mac laptop it will be a Macbook Air 13".

(I'll use external perpherials since ab fab MBA 13" was murder on my bad wrists - returned it).

I tried the 11" MBA and had the same issues you did with the brightness/eye fatigue (and I did everything one could do to adjust the brightness). It's a fanastic little laptop, I know why people love it, but like you, I'm much more comfortable with the 13".

The Macbook Airs are amazing machines, I look forward to owning one some day. In addition to the wrist issues, I couldn't justify a owning perfect 21.5 2010 iMac and a 13" MBA (2 computers to upgrade/maintain etc.), so for now it's an iPad2 and the iMac.

But the Air as a primary machine? One day.

I think it's great that folks love and use the 11.6" and the 13". Apple hit a home run with the Air.

I look forward to seeing what comes next.

J&JPolangin
Apr 28, 2011, 04:47 PM
I'm on UQ Wimax with an NEC A t e r m W M 3 5 0 0 R router. It's a POS really, I keep losing my wifi connection when I have my laptop AND my Android phone(s) connected. But it's so inconsistent, sometimes hours go by before I get an issue, sometimes it happens within minutes.

I only keep it cuz it's fairly stable with just my MBA connected, and because of the amazing 8 hours of battery.

This was plan with no contract, and flat fee for unlimited (actually really unlimited, this is Japan!) data. ¥4490/month. With contract is ¥500 cheaper or something, maybe ¥1000. Can't remember. Device itself was ¥5100, and activation was another ¥2-3000.

Patrix.

Thanks for the info, I need to find a good reasonable price on an iPad sim card (the AT&T international rates are a joke)!

We have a bunch of free wifi hot spots on the bases so my laptops are fine with those but the iOS devices don't play well with them and the ISP doens't really seem to care to want to fix that connectivity...

Henry Spencer
Apr 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
Let's back up for a moment. Why are screens in landscape mode to begin with? Because the CRTs, which were meant for video were. [see: RF modulator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_modulator)] Mainstream computer screens should have mimicked books, newspapers, and documents rather than televisions, but that's not how it played out. So, unconsciously we adjusted to text in landscape. Kind of stupid, really.

Then came the laptop. Well, a landscape display continued to seem logical 'cause the keyboard was wide. Awesome!

And now we have tablets. Finally, a device in the proper book/newspaper/document orientation. But look! You can rotate it to view multi-media! Perfect! My twenty year wait is over! Wait, what? It's gonna run iOS instead of Mac OS X? Genius!

Wow, I think this is really interesting but i don't agree with you. I think the wider screen is the best option, I don't know why... You say you read from your iPad while it's in the same orientation of a page... I NEVER do that, I much prefer the wide orientation... So I guess it's comes down to some kind of unconscious preference... And maybe it's the same thing that make me comfortable on a 11" macbook air...

patrixl
Apr 28, 2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info, I need to find a good reasonable price on an iPad sim card (the AT&T international rates are a joke)!

Welcome to Japan, where only a few weeks ago did DoCoMo started offering sim-only plans without having to buy a phone along with the SIM, and their rules are a joke and no employee/store agrees on how to implement them and how much it will cost (it will all end up costing a lot).

Best to get yourself a 3G, Wimax or 4G wifi modem of some kind to tether your ipad, laptop, etc. One plan, one device, and many are foreigner-friendly without all the headaches that come with the phone/iPad data plans.

jhatz
Apr 28, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'm on day 4 with my new ultimate 11" and I'm loving this thing. The 26:9 is weird at first but the size, like everyone is saying is great. I haven't found anything thy bothers me in the wide screen aspect ratio or just the sheer smaller screen size. I used to have the black book 13.3" and loved it but the ability to do thing like pick up my laptop and hold it opened hanging in my hand as I glance out the window or walk onto the other room is funny and a great effortless feeling. It feels like a toy bc of the weight but still a very quality product and not chincey.

I'm response to the poster about how the screen ratio has gone in the wrong direction, you also need to take into consideration video games. It's better, and I think most would agree that a wide angle screen vs a 4:3 is superior. Not everyone just readdddds on a computer. Video games, movies, picture editing, etc is all great in 16:9.

That's my $0.02

rrl
Apr 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
Wow, I think this is really interesting but i don't agree with you. I think the wider screen is the best option, I don't know why... You say you read from your iPad while it's in the same orientation of a page... I NEVER do that, I much prefer the wide orientation... So I guess it's comes down to some kind of unconscious preference... And maybe it's the same thing that make me comfortable on a 11" macbook air...

I'm a big fan of the Reader function in the Mac OS X Safari. Do you use that? When it's not available, I usually try to zoom-in to simulate it. But I also spend a significant amount of time reading web pages in landscape mode on a 800x480, 3.5 inch screen. Conversely, I read books in portrait. Go figure.

letoast
Apr 28, 2011, 11:36 PM
My interest in the 11" stems from fond memories of my two favorite computers that I've owned: 12" PowerBook, and a Sony Vaio P. Wonderful little machines that I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere (especially the Vaio P, of course). They were each my only machine at the respective time. It's so liberating to be able to whip out a little notebook for a moment, with little drama.

The 13" MBA and the MB/MBP aren't nearly as compatible with my usage style.

peapody
Apr 29, 2011, 07:28 AM
My interest in the 11" stems from fond memories of my two favorite computers that I've owned: 12" PowerBook, and a Sony Vaio P. Wonderful little machines that I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere (especially the Vaio P, of course). They were each my only machine at the respective time. It's so liberating to be able to whip out a little notebook for a moment, with little drama.

The 13" MBA and the MB/MBP aren't nearly as compatible with my usage style.

I had the 11" air and the 12" powerbook...Loved the powerbook so much more than the air. The air was simply too small for me.

I have been really wanting to pick up the 13". Great at everything.

nebulos
Apr 29, 2011, 10:20 AM
one awesome thing about the 12" PB, which i had for a while: it was square.

Funkymonk
Apr 29, 2011, 10:24 AM

Lol. reminds me of the quote "a fool and his money are easily (or soon?) parted"

letoast
Apr 29, 2011, 10:59 AM
I had the 11" air and the 12" powerbook...Loved the powerbook so much more than the air. The air was simply too small for me.

I have been really wanting to pick up the 13". Great at everything.

Fair enough... but considering how much I liked the puny Vaio P, I shouldn't have an issue with that :-)

yuanmoons
Apr 30, 2011, 02:42 AM
Yes, the 11" is definitely an awesome notebook.

I'm looking for a 'main machine'.

For the long hours I'm on a computer and the type of work I do the 13" is the sensible choice, you get a noticeable amount of added screen real estate which I appreciate.

Yep. I found this to be true. 11" = awesome, but the screen feels restrictive for extended usage in a home or fixed / settled environment - i found i preferred a bigger screen. I use my laptop on my lap most of the time so the combination of a small screen and a downward viewing angle of the 11" starts to become uncomfortable.

But we all have different requirements & preferences. For me, the 13" would have to be the main & only machine as i dont want to manage 2 machines, its just unnecessary complication.

torbjoern
Apr 30, 2011, 12:05 PM
I think TS is in buyer's remorse, and would like some support on having purchased the 11".
My opinion stands: For the equal-but-opposite reason that I would never buy the 13", there's that group of people that would never buy the 11". The latter group is too practical. The former, too cool. It's personal, as is productivity.
Not to forget those who are going to use it as their only Mac and primary computer.

2IS
Apr 30, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'd have been sold on the 11" if it didn't have nearly 4" worth of bezel. I currently have a 13" MBA and I really hope the next true redesign addresses the bezel issue. I'd love to have a 13" screen on a MBA that has the footprint of the 11" That's really the only thing that will get me to upgrade my MBA. Sandy Bridge refresh is nice, but not reason enough for me to upgrade.

For those 13" owners who are bothered with the fan noise, you really should check out coolbook. I've been running it since I first learned about it and its been fantastic. Battery lasts longer, MBA runs a lot cooler and fan speed has NEVER hit full speed since I started running it.

entatlrg
Apr 30, 2011, 12:49 PM
For those 13" owners who are bothered with the fan noise, you really should check out coolbook. I've been running it since I first learned about it and its been fantastic. Battery lasts longer, MBA runs a lot cooler and fan speed has NEVER hit full speed since I started running it.

Absolutely, Coolbook was the solution for my 13" MBA too.

misterbig
Apr 30, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm on day 4 with my new ultimate 11" and I'm loving this thing. The 26:9 is weird at first but the size, like everyone is saying is great.

Wow how did you get such an ultra-uber widescreen? :D

iRun26.2
Apr 30, 2011, 01:42 PM
I'd have been sold on the 11" if it didn't have nearly 4" worth of bezel. I currently have a 13" MBA and I really hope the next true redesign addresses the bezel issue. I'd love to have a 13" screen on a MBA that has the footprint of the 11" That's really the only thing that will get me to upgrade my MBA. Sandy Bridge refresh is nice, but not reason enough for me to upgrade.

It is a shame that Coolbook will not work with the SB version of the MBA when it comes out....

firewood
Apr 30, 2011, 02:05 PM

The bezel is what kept the weight and cost low and the battery life decent, while still allowing a full size keyboard with 2 USB connectors next to it. That's a trade-off I like.

A smaller bezel would have meant a thicker heavier or more fragile display, and more power suction from a bigger backlight, or a goofy-sized shrunken keyboard. No.

2IS
Apr 30, 2011, 02:53 PM
The bezel is what kept the weight and cost low and the battery life decent, while still allowing a full size keyboard with 2 USB connectors next to it. That's a trade-off I like.

A smaller bezel would have meant a thicker heavier or more fragile display, and more power suction from a bigger backlight, or a goofy-sized shrunken keyboard. No.

Are you just making this up as you go along? The lid on the 13" MBA is no thicker than the 11" AND it has thinner bezels. I also fail to see how thinner bezels would have any effect on the keyboard size or the number of USB ports.

iRun26.2
Apr 30, 2011, 03:52 PM
Are you just making this up as you go along? The lid on the 13" MBA is no thicker than the 11" AND it has thinner bezels. I also fail to see how thinner bezels would have any effect on the keyboard size or the number of USB ports.

From a mechanical strength standpoint, the wider bezel may be necessary. It would be a nightmare for Apple to release such a thin laptop screen if users had to worry about it cracking under normal use. With time, new thin screens may be developed that need less support.

I can't imagine Apple would have made the bezel any bigger than necessary. Maybe with the SB or IB release they will expand the screen sizes (with smaller bezels). That is my hope! That would call for an immediate upgrade from my standpoint. :)

ryanwarsaw
Apr 30, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm under the spell of this little 11" siren as well.

She's just so cute, I want to cry.

Then I want to burn things.

At 16:9, she's a bit short, but her hyper-waif body seems to redeem almost anything.

All she needs is a brain transplant, and I believe Igor has dug one up that will do nicely; He's just taking forever!

After that, if she can pass my quiz, I'm taking her back to my dungeon to do terrible, terrible, wonderful things to her.

Your post is a tad creepy. LOL

nebulos
Apr 30, 2011, 04:40 PM
Your post is a tad creepy. LOL

love is a beautiful and frightening thing.

firewood
Apr 30, 2011, 05:02 PM

Just weight an MBA 13, and figure out why it weighs more and costs more.

And if you shrunk the bezel while still using a standard sized display (same cost), the keyboard would stick out the sides, which would look pretty whacky.

2IS
May 1, 2011, 10:28 AM
Just weight an MBA 13, and figure out why it weighs more and costs more.

And if you shrunk the bezel while still using a standard sized display (same cost), the keyboard would stick out the sides, which would look pretty whacky.

I was pretty clear that I wanted a bezel shrink to accommodate a larger screen not to have a smaller laptop.

entatlrg
May 28, 2012, 07:33 PM
Anyone bought the 11" Air even though they knew the 13" may of been a better choice and far as productivity and spec's are concerned?

I had both, I choose the 13" MBA for 'practical reasons' ... I'm on my computer a LOT, a larger screen typically means more productivity, more power can come in handy, as can the larger HD and SD slot .... and the 13" isn't really that much less portable than the 11".

I really miss the 11. What is it that is so damn compelling? For me it's not the price difference ... it's just that perfect size I guess ... so super easy to grab and go, do work on, it just works and is inviting to use, perhaps the most inviting notebook I've ever used.

Over a year later the same still holds true for me, I love the 11" MacBook Air...

I know the larger 13" screen is better for productivity and the battery life is better but the 11" Air is still my favorite.

I guess it's because I work all over, office, home office, den, couch, deck, car that along with travel its super small size wins yet is such a pleasure to type on.

mfuchs88
May 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
I think it's just got 'personal' feel about it that larger computer and other devices might not have. To be honest, it's kind of "cute". I wish I had one even though I have a 15" MBP.

glen e
May 28, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm a road warrior so the 11 is absolutely the perfect size for hotel work. When I get home I just connect it to a 27 inch monitor and a 500 G hard drive for backup and it becomes a great desktop system. Coupled with a Waterfield sleeve ,it just fits in any bag that I'm packing and is one-handed on the bed or on the desk. It's just absolutely perfect for what I use it for.

KylePowers
May 28, 2012, 08:40 PM
After having the 11in for ~6 months and then a 13in for ~3 months, still unsure which I like better. Definitely missing the 11in =\

entatlrg
May 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'm a road warrior so the 11 is absolutely the perfect size for hotel work. When I get home I just connect it to a 27 inch monitor and a 500 G hard drive for backup and it becomes a great desktop system. Coupled with a Waterfield sleeve ,it just fits in any bag that I'm packing and is one-handed on the bed or on the desk. It's just absolutely perfect for what I use it for.

Hey Glen, how are you finding the Sattleback brief, how's the weight and does it soften up? Still use your Marc Andrew bag? it looked very nice.

Right now I'm going the backpack route, a Tom Bihn Synapse, very functional, perfect size really like it. Would like to find a higher end, functional, perhaps leather backpack but very hard to find, most are huge.

glen e
May 28, 2012, 09:49 PM
Hey Glen, how are you finding the Sattleback brief, how's the weight and does it soften up? Still use your Marc Andrew bag? it looked very nice.

Right now I'm going the backpack route, a Tom Bihn Synapse, very functional, perfect size really like it. Would like to find a higher end, functional, perhaps leather backpack but very hard to find, most are huge.

It's heavy, but no matter for me. I go from plane to car to meeting. Every day the saddleback gets softer and more pliable. This perhaps the finest piece of leather i've owned (read why on their site) . I have about 10 cases or so, so far the saddleback is the most interesting, super high quality case I own...
Look at their large satchel or messenger bag too....I'll probably buy the messenger this fall for a road job that won't require my projector....

jgc
May 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
Toss an SD card slot on to the 11" and I'd consider it over the 13". But quite frankly I need more than 128 gb but don't want to pay an extra $300 to get 256 gb. $45 gets me a 64 gb SDXC card that's sufficient to house my iTunes library and videos that I want to watch on the go (the rest will stay on my external hdd at home).

Also to me, coming from a 15.6" screen on my current laptop, the 11" is potentially too small since it will be my only computer. I do have an external monitor so I could sacrifice some size for portability, but it is truly more "portable" given that it has 30% less battery life?

It's tough. Throw an SD card slot on there for me and it's more competitive. If money was no issue, there's a good chance I'd go for an 11". Unfortunately that's not the case for another two years.

Redbull916
May 29, 2012, 03:54 AM
I really wanted the 11", but my Air has a life on the road, and the smaller screen size (and battery) killed of that idea. I often connect remotely onto servers using Team viewer or Webex (I use a VMWARE Fusion image for work) and I could not live with scrolling up and down all day long.

http://www.flightforlife.co.uk/home_office.jpg

If you are at home with an external monitor most of the time and occasionally go out and about then the 11" is fine, but if you want the lightest workhorse for the road then it's got to be the 13"

TyroneShoes2
May 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
The 13 MBA is obviously heavier than the 11, but that is a small compromise. It's also a full pound lighter than the 12.1 PB that I schlepped to work every day for 8 years before buying the 13. As it stands, I now end up schlepping the iPad to work most days anyway, in place of the MBA.

Without the iPad in the picture I think the 11 becomes more attractive. The iPad seems to sort of cover that market sector to some degree, and since most days the iPad is enough for me at work, the heavier factor of the MBA 13 becomes a moot point. But I would still choose the 13 if I could have only one. If you can have both an iPad and an MBA, it starts to make less sense to think about getting the 11.

The 11 upgraded to 128/4G is really not much less in price, either, than the 13 which has these as stock items.

Mac32
May 29, 2012, 09:04 AM
It all depend on your usage, but if you're planning to use the MBA extensively I would definately go for the 13'. My 11' is just too small for prolonged work sessions, and the 16:9 screen doesn't help. I much prefer to work with a 16:10, but for the 11' (only) the 16:9 does makes sense - making the 11' as small and light as possible.

My next MBA will definately be 13'. The difference between the MBA and MBP 13' is rather noticable actually, especially concerning weight.

Hamburger
May 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
Love my 11" but also had eye strain every now and then. Solution was purchase of 24" ACD and now I have a desktop at home with bluetooth KB and trackpad. On the road I am fine with the 11" and yes, it is the greatest laptop I have ever owned.

Cheffy Dave
May 29, 2012, 04:19 PM

For all the reasons you list, we adore our 2010 MBA' with NVIDIA Graphics:cool:

DollaTwentyFive
May 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
Use the 11" with the TBD. Great screen real estate at home and I can deal with the smaller screen on the go in exchange for the weight and portability.

Satnam1989
May 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
I really wanted the 11", but my Air has a life on the road, and the smaller screen size (and battery) killed of that idea. I often connect remotely onto servers using Team viewer or Webex (I use a VMWARE Fusion image for work) and I could not live with scrolling up and down all day long.

Image (http://www.flightforlife.co.uk/home_office.jpg)

If you are at home with an external monitor most of the time and occasionally go out and about then the 11" is fine, but if you want the lightest workhorse for the road then it's got to be the 13"

how does one go about hooking up this many monitors to a single macbook air? whats the adapter that you use? I don't know any that allows triple...I have seen a Thunderbolt to dual HDMI adapter...but thats about it

summitRun
May 29, 2012, 10:41 PM
I am a minimalist at heart in all aspects of my life so when I could gin down my entire digital foot print to an MBA 11 with an STM XS Jacket I was sold :cool:

emess
May 31, 2012, 03:40 AM
For me, the answer is a simple one, and the same reason the iPad has been so successful: it's a perfect 'Grab & Go' form factor.

Unlike a full-sized notebook the Air11 is pefectly-sized to carry under under one arm while walking around the house with a cuppa! - I actually ended up selling my iPad2 due to the much-improved email & web-surfing.

(but it's ok, I used the money to buy a 'New iPad'...)

:)

I did look long & hard at buying a 13", but the Air11 has the sheer sex appeal that nothing else really comes close to, and to be honest we don't buy Apple gear purely for it's functionality do we...?

Oh, and if it's a Wishlist post - I would really like to see a black bezel on the next model - better to see the screen against!

joshuaginter
May 31, 2012, 07:16 PM
Use the 11" with the TBD. Great screen real estate at home and I can deal with the smaller screen on the go in exchange for the weight and portability.

I originally had the 11" with TBD. But battery life just didn't seem to cut it. Went to the 13" Pro and now I'm looking back at my decision. I wonder if the Ivy Bridge update will bring the 11" battery up to about 7 hours? That will really make me consider switching back.

mjcharlton71
Jun 2, 2012, 06:31 AM
A year ago I started "the switch"....

I had a brief flirt with a Mini when they first came out, but could not really live with it at the time, mainly due to work requirements. On the whole though, I was WinAMD (sometimes WIntel) to the bone.

Last summer I get an iPad 2' after I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket and a need for a new toy.... A few weeks later I got the top end 2011 Mini and slowly the PC love ebbed away. I still had the gaming beast PC hooked up to the same monitor as the Mac, but it didn't get much use. My WIntel laptop didn't get used at all at that point, so I binned it, figuring the iPad would do me.

Another couple of months down the line I bin the PC completely, get rid of the Mini and buy a 27" iMac.... I get the nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the iPad restricts my way of doing things though, so in March this year I plumped for the 11" Air 4/128, which since then has never left my side!

I don't know what it is, size/looks/speed/usability, but I just can't keep my hands off the little cutie.... I carry a MiFi router around with me, so I'm connected pretty much wherever I am, and with remote access to home and work, I'm set for anything.

A couple of the guys I work with have the 13" Air, but after having a heft of it and trying it round the office for a bit, I just keep going back to the baby Air.... The big one just feels "big" to me, whereas I kind of forget the baby is there until I use it.

Of course, everyone's mileage may vary, but for me personally, the killer combo of iMac, baby Air and iPhone outweighs any perceived advantage my Windows loving family, friends and colleagues might think they have.... The way I see it, the Mac and OS X just gets out of the way and let's me get on with what I want to do, with the baby Air amplifying that sentiment measurably.

NutsNGum
Jun 2, 2012, 07:40 AM
I originally had the 11" with TBD. But battery life just didn't seem to cut it. Went to the 13" Pro and now I'm looking back at my decision. I wonder if the Ivy Bridge update will bring the 11" battery up to about 7 hours? That will really make me consider switching back.

I'm wondering about this also. If the battery life decides to shoot back up and the screens in the Airs get an upgrade, even just to current MBP standards, then I'll be getting an 11" again. The screen really was the main factor that killed the Air for me.

I had several and they were of hugely variable quality. Two made my eyes ache/stream after minutes using them, and one was a joy, but I sold it for the 17" Pro. And now, I'm considering sticking that on eBay in anticipation of the new Pros due at WWDC.

joshuaginter
Jun 3, 2012, 10:14 PM
I'm wondering about this also. If the battery life decides to shoot back up and the screens in the Airs get an upgrade, even just to current MBP standards, then I'll be getting an 11" again. The screen really was the main factor that killed the Air for me.

I had several and they were of hugely variable quality. Two made my eyes ache/stream after minutes using them, and one was a joy, but I sold it for the 17" Pro. And now, I'm considering sticking that on eBay in anticipation of the new Pros due at WWDC.

Do you think the Acer announcement today may be an indication of what to expect for battery life on the 2012 MacBook Air? They are quoting 9 hrs battery life for their 11.6" S7 (see here (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/3/3061903/acer-introduces-s7-touchscreen-windows-8-ultrabooks))

If 9 hrs is what Apple will offer, I may have another computer for sale:)

entatlrg
Jun 4, 2012, 12:19 AM
For me, the answer is a simple one, and the same reason the iPad has been so successful: it's a perfect 'Grab & Go' form factor.

Well said, and that's the reason my Mac Pro with dual ACD's in my office doesn't get used much, nor does my 17" MBP. I don't like to work in an office or one set place for too long so I move around a lot and even though it's an 11" screen I get design and engineering work done on the go. Sure the larger displays aid in productivity but since my 11" is with me always and wherever and whenever I'm in the mood or frame of mind to do design work I just flip it open and start working.

I just got a Henge Dock to use my Air with a TBD for when I want to work at a desk and not have to switch computuers unless I'm doing heavy lifting tasks. With my Mac Pro as a work horse/server and my 11" for everything else it's time to sell my 17" I think.

11" is the best laptop I've owned so far, the 13" Air was my favorite before that. My wife uses the 13" Air and every so often I'll try it thinking I should switch back to gain some screen real estate but i quickly realize something about the 11" has me hooked :)

KohPhiPhi
Jun 4, 2012, 04:16 AM
The 11" is very sexy, but it is too limited because of the screen and the battery. All in all, the 13" is a MUCH better balanced machine all around, and thus a better choice in the long run once the lust for the 11" has worn out.

sarah11918
Jun 4, 2012, 04:38 AM
The "Grab and Go" factor is key. The 11" fits in my regular purse. Game over.

MassTownie
Jun 4, 2012, 08:35 PM
You guys are absolutely killing me...as I am torn on what to purchase next week! Love the 11, probably need the real estate on the 13...however, now considering adding a monitor to compensate either way! :eek:

entatlrg
Jun 4, 2012, 08:48 PM
The 11" is very sexy, but it is too limited because of the screen and the battery. All in all, the 13" is a MUCH better balanced machine all around, and thus a better choice in the long run once the lust for the 11" has worn out.

In theory you are correct, in reality you won't pry the 11" from my hands. :)

I've used the 11 inch since it was launched and have bought many 13 inch Airs for my staff so I have the opportunity to use a 13 inch when I want but no, the lust hasn't worn off yet and it's a long time running.

spangenberg
Jun 5, 2012, 12:16 AM
Do you think the Acer announcement today may be an indication of what to expect for battery life on the 2012 MacBook Air? They are quoting 9 hrs battery life for their 11.6" S7 (see here (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/3/3061903/acer-introduces-s7-touchscreen-windows-8-ultrabooks))

If 9 hrs is what Apple will offer, I may have another computer for sale:)

I agree with you. Battery life is the only reason I got the 13. But with these rumblings of a refresh across all mac lines to retina displays (PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!) I will have mine up for sale. Considering doing it this week actually......

KohPhiPhi
Jun 5, 2012, 03:54 AM
I've used the 11 inch since it was launched and have bought many 13 inch Airs for my staff so I have the opportunity to use a 13 inch when I want but no, the lust hasn't worn off yet and it's a long time running.

You tell me again about it when, after only 3 hours of real-world usage, your battery runs out of juice mid-way through a flight.

Here's my question: what is the point of an ultra-mobile device that can't truly go mobile because it runs out of battery in 3 hours?

Conclusion: until Apple improves the 11" MBA's battery life, it's not truly a "grab and go" device... because you cannot actually "go" far with it.

entatlrg
Jun 5, 2012, 04:19 PM
You tell me again about it when, after only 3 hours of real-world usage, your battery runs out of juice mid-way through a flight.

Here's my question: what is the point of an ultra-mobile device that can't truly go mobile because it runs out of battery in 3 hours?

Conclusion: until Apple improves the 11" MBA's battery life, it's not truly a "grab and go" device... because you cannot actually "go" far with it.

Conclusion: People's needs vary. That's why it's nice Apple offer's both the 11 and 13".

I certainly wish the 11" offered longer battery life.

But, you're kind of missing the point of my OP. Even though the 13" offers a larger screen, more battery life, SD port ETC and may be a more sensible choice .... there's things about the 11" that while they may not be practical, that keep drawing me back . No, it's not the battery life that's drawing me back, it's that super "grab and go" size, I love it. And since it's so handy, for 'me', I've been using it over the 13".

Not trying to argue with you ... just a point of interest.

That being said, my iPad accompanies me on flights as well as my 11" ... 3 hours of work on a plane is more than enough for me, otherwise I'm relaxing watching movies etc. Oh, and I only travel first or business class often I'm able to charge my devices whether I'm flying or on a train.

Sounds Good
Jun 5, 2012, 04:41 PM
Every time I go into an Apple store or BestBuy to compare these two models, I know that the 13" is better for me due to the larger screen, more usable resolution, etc, etc. Yet I'm always more attracted to the 11" because of the small footprint size and lighter weight. Every time. Not sure which one I'd go with, to be honest.

Cheffy Dave
Jun 5, 2012, 05:07 PM
We are so happy with our MBA's, real graphics, fast chipsets, to that we add OWC SSD's 480 GB Flavor, each have 4 GB of Ram, these puppy's fly:eek:

Cheffy Dave
Jun 5, 2012, 05:18 PM
The screen on the 11" is bigger,so why wouldn't I be happy with the 11", for two inches, those who aren't , simply need a bigger screen, we all can co-exist, it just depends on what suits your style, that said, the new iPad, the new 11" MBA, just meet our needs across the board. The main point here, if you are happy with the iPads screen you will love the screen on the MBA 11":eek:

Eggtastic
Jun 5, 2012, 05:26 PM
i have the 11" mba paired with a dell 23" screen.

i specifically bought this combo to act as a desktop / laptop / tablet sized device saving me money and allowing for extra screen real estate.

yes, the one gripe i have is the battery life, and if apple were to nearly double it in the next upgrade i would sell to get the new ivy bridge 11" mba.

aesthetics, of course, is another reason i bought it. i still find myself admiring its awesome design close to a year later.

i also do not mind carrying the downsized power brick around for longer trips anywhere.

Sounds Good
Jun 5, 2012, 05:49 PM
i have the 11" mba paired with a dell 23" screen.

i specifically bought this combo to act as a desktop / laptop / tablet sized device saving me money and allowing for extra screen real estate.
This is what I'm thinking for myself. I've got a 24" Dell monitor and I work from home and rarely leave the house. The only moving around I do with my laptop is from room to room, couch to kitchen table, to coffee table, etc. BUT... I'm still not sure if I'm better off with the 11" or the 13" Air. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the matter, I'm all ears! :)

evorc
Jun 5, 2012, 06:17 PM
If your eyes can handle it, 11" is much more portable. I returned my 11" for the 13" cause it kept giving me an eye strain. I couldn't be any happier with my choice. Plus I get more productivity out of the 13".

Sounds Good
Jun 5, 2012, 06:52 PM
I returned my 11" for the 13" cause it kept giving me an eye strain. I couldn't be any happier with my choice. Plus I get more productivity out of the 13".
That's what I'm afraid of. I might want the 11" in my heart, but in my head I know the 13" is a smarter choice for me overall.

glen e
Jun 5, 2012, 07:14 PM
This is what I'm thinking for myself. I've got a 24" Dell monitor and I work from home and rarely leave the house. The only moving around I do with my laptop is from room to room, couch to kitchen table, to coffee table, etc. BUT... I'm still not sure if I'm better off with the 11" or the 13" Air. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the matter, I'm all ears! :)

11 MBA here with 27in LG monitor at home. When I un-mount it for the road, I have no problems with the 11 in the hotel room.

Sounds Good
Jun 5, 2012, 07:24 PM
11 MBA here with 27in LG monitor at home. When I un-mount it for the road, I have no problems with the 11 in the hotel room.
Thing is, I'm the exact opposite of a road warrior so the 13" really does make a lot more sense for me (and it's probably the size I'll end up with). I'm just infatuated with the small footprint of the 11" Air. Kinda crazy, but what can I say? :)

MassTownie
Jun 5, 2012, 07:31 PM
Same boat as above--want 11...need 13 :confused:

RobbyIdol
Jun 5, 2012, 10:05 PM
Honestly, I think a lot of 13" users would jump ship to the 11" immediately if the battery life issue was taken off the table. I really hope that at WWDC, if nothing else at all, Apple gives a battery life spec bump to the 11" MBA already.

I recently purchased and returned an MBA 13" because while it was a solid machine and I LOVED the battery life it gave me, I just couldn't justify the move away from my 15" MBP for it. (I couldn't believe Apple is so good about offering a refund within the first 14 days!) I feel silly buying and returning so quickly, but I'm waiting for an 11" MBA now with better battery life. Hopefully that comes sooner than later!

P.S. - Are there any comparable 11" ultrabooks/zenbooks/whatever from the Windows camp that offer 7-8 hour battery life while matching (as much as possible) the specs of the current MBA 11"? I have no interest in a cheap Netbook that offers long battery life. I'm buying Apple for a reason, after all :)

jksu
Jun 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
just got a 2012 11" mba i7 to replace a 2010 mba c2d. went with a 11" i7/8/256 but after playing with it the past couple days, it's not life shattering... things are slightly "snappier" but the fan seems to kick on more frequently. and battery life is maybe marginally better.

also, maybe i'm getting old, but as much as i love the compact/take anywhere size of the 11", i'm thinking a 13" is really more useful and easier on my eyes -- scrunching over to type for any period of time is rather tiring. and i'm squinting more and more when i'm using it in bed or on the couch -- i'm having to hit control+ frequently to enlarge text...

so i just ordered a 2012 13" i5/8/256, plan to return the 2012 11" mba. not a huge price difference and i'll see if i can give up the cool/sleekness factor but have the practical joy of a bigger screen and longer battery life.

Sounds Good
Jun 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
also, maybe i'm getting old, but as much as i love the compact/take anywhere size of the 11", i'm thinking a 13" is really more useful and easier on my eyes -- scrunching over to type for any period of time is rather tiring. and i'm squinting more and more when i'm using it in bed or on the couch -- i'm having to hit control+ frequently to enlarge text...
This is what I'm afraid of which is why I'll most likely go with the 13". But are things truly LARGER on the 13" screen? Or is it just that more things are displayed on the screen due to the larger resolution? (900 vs 768)

majordude
Jun 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
This is what I'm afraid of which is why I'll most likely go with the 13". But are things truly LARGER on the 13" screen? Or is it just that more things are displayed on the screen due to the larger resolution? (900 vs 768)

I wanted an 11" until I saw it next to the 13" at Best Buy.

Open up Apple.com and the main picture fills the entire 11" screen. On the 13", it loads the pictures under it.

And while the 11" is lighter (by half a pound maybe?) it's just as thick.

I find myself sticking my portable computers in a backpack, along with all the cables and stuff, when I travel. So the 1-2" savings is HIDDEN because of the way I transport the device.

Blackened Apple
Jun 20, 2012, 02:51 PM

Both, the 13" has less PPI, as well as having a larger resolution. So things are larger to your eyes because you have less pixel density, and you can also fit more in the screen because it has more pixels.

Sounds Good
Jun 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
So things are larger to your eyes because you have less pixel density....
Noticeably, though? Or just a smidge?

Know what I mean?

jedolley
Jun 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
This has been a fairly entertaining and informative thread. I'm thinking about getting my wife an air and am leaning towards 11", but want to make sure I get it right.

She primarily watches YouTube, surfs the web, pays bills, and recently has been bugging me about using my iMac for iMovie (which prompted this whole idea to begin with). She has used both a 10" netbook and a 13" laptop and did not have an issue with either screen size. Her main complaint about the netbook was that it was too underpowered for a task as simple as watching YouTube.

So based on this I was leaning towards the 11" mainly due to cost, but knowing that her uses are primarily simple and that the screen size won't be a problem for her. I figured I would post here and see if I am missing anything in regards to considering a 13" for her instead. Thanks.

kylera
Jun 20, 2012, 05:33 PM
This has been a fairly entertaining and informative thread. I'm thinking about getting my wife an air and am leaning towards 11", but want to make sure I get it right.

She primarily watches YouTube, surfs the web, pays bills, and recently has been bugging me about using my iMac for iMovie (which prompted this whole idea to begin with). She has used both a 10" netbook and a 13" laptop and did not have an issue with either screen size. Her main complaint about the netbook was that it was too underpowered for a task as simple as watching YouTube.

So based on this I was leaning towards the 11" mainly due to cost, but knowing that her uses are primarily simple and that the screen size won't be a problem for her. I figured I would post here and see if I am missing anything in regards to considering a 13" for her instead. Thanks.

If she also uses laptops on the go frequently, the 13 inch would be better because of longer battery life, but if that isn't the case, the 11" would be a good choice.

jojoba
Jun 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
The 11" is just so beautiful :)

I got a 13" and am super happy with it. I use my iPad as my main portable device, so for the air I wanted a larger screen to do more 'serious' work. For my use pattern, I've made the best choice.

tim100
Jun 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
The 11" is just so beautiful :)

I got a 13" and am super happy with it. I use my iPad as my main portable device, so for the air I wanted a larger screen to do more 'serious' work. For my use pattern, I've made the best choice.

i have found the 11 inch air and iPad served the same purposes and use of one limited the use of the other.

the 11 is very popular, gruber mentioned on the talk show that he uses a 11 air.

jedolley
Jun 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
If she also uses laptops on the go frequently, the 13 inch would be better because of longer battery life, but if that isn't the case, the 11" would be a good choice.

Nope, laptop is primarily for home use. She prefers laptops because she does not like to be tied to a desk and likes using it on the couch or in bed.

I'll probably get the 11" and she can determine if she needs to go bigger and we'll exchange if necessary... Or I can keep the 11" and get her a 13".

astormsau
Jun 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
I just upgraded from a Late 2010 Core 2 Duo 11" Air (purchased March 2011) to a 2012 13" i7 Air about a week ago.

I have been working with PC's for about 20 years now and would have to say that the 11" Air is without doubt, the best notebook machine I have ever used...

I had to upgrade as the 11" was out of space (128gb SSD) and the processor was quite slow for photo editing in Lightroom connected to an external monitor.

I have to say, the 11" air is an awesome machine. In the year I owned it I have carried it around UK and Europe twice on month long holidays and various places around Australia and it has never missed a beat. The size makes it almost as practical as an iPad for travel with a full screen keyboard and ability to normal apps, manage files and so forth.

Kinda miss the 11", gave it to my parents and they are enjoying it now.

Drew

sarah11918
Jun 21, 2012, 04:28 AM
Nope, laptop is primarily for home use. She prefers laptops because she does not like to be tied to a desk and likes using it on the couch or in bed.

I'll probably get the 11" and she can determine if she needs to go bigger and we'll exchange if necessary... Or I can keep the 11" and get her a 13".

If it's for home use where a power outlet is never very far away, and if the 10" netbook screen didn't bother her, then I would definitely recommend starting with an 11". It's noticeably lighter for having on the lap, a better compact size for couch/bed work, and so light you can carry it open with one hand from room to room with a coffee mug in the other hand. ;)

I always feel like hubby's 13" MBA has so much heft to it when I try to casually pick it up and grab it, compared to the 11" I'm used to. It's a great "around the house" machine.

islanders
Jun 21, 2012, 06:16 AM
If the base 11 had 128gb hd I would have likely kept it to save $200. If you don't need more than 64gb the 11 is a better deal if you don't need the extended battery life, larger screen or SD slot. The 13'' can be used a few hours in the morning, say, and still have enough capacity for away from the house, and in general don't have to plug it in as often. To me the 13'' is the right size with the right features. The price gap between the two should be $100 more. The 11'' started to feel too cramped with the 16:9 screen. However if it was a $200-300 difference with a 8/128 config probably would have kept the 11.

Pretty good strategy on Apples part as people who need the 11 for the compact size don't mind paying only $100 less than the 13 with same specs. The base price point on the 11 is also attractive for users who use it for internet and light apps, or have a desk top and external hd.

Cicatrix
Jun 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
If it's for home use where a power outlet is never very far away, and if the 10" netbook screen didn't bother her, then I would definitely recommend starting with an 11". It's noticeably lighter for having on the lap, a better compact size for couch/bed work, and so light you can carry it open with one hand from room to room with a coffee mug in the other hand. ;)

I always feel like hubby's 13" MBA has so much heft to it when I try to casually pick it up and grab it, compared to the 11" I'm used to. It's a great "around the house" machine.

i broke my friends 11" by mistaking it for the 13". when I picked it up my muscle memory was ready for 13" and whoops I threw it clear across the room! those pesky 13 inchers with all there weight. jk. lol.

jedolley
Jun 21, 2012, 02:32 PM

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but always nice to hear it from actual users. I just placed the order and she will have a surprise waiting for her when she gets home from work tomorrow (love Amazon Prime $3.99 overnight shipping).

majordude
Jun 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks, that's what I was thinking but always nice to hear it from actual users. I just placed the order and she will have a surprise waiting for her when she gets home from work tomorrow (love Amazon Prime $3.99 overnight shipping).

Hmmm. I'm not sure that Amazon is selling the latest models (mid-2012) yet.

jedolley
Jun 21, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hmmm. I'm not sure that Amazon is selling the latest models (mid-2012) yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CWJ8YA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Looks like the right one to me... USB3. Intel HD 4000, etc.

Sounds Good
Jun 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
Yep, those are new. Too bad they don't have any with 8GB of ram.

entatlrg
Jun 21, 2012, 09:11 PM
I just upgraded from a Late 2010 Core 2 Duo 11" Air (purchased March 2011) to a 2012 13" i7 Air about a week ago.

I have been working with PC's for about 20 years now and would have to say that the 11" Air is without doubt, the best notebook machine I have ever used...

I had to upgrade as the 11" was out of space (128gb SSD) and the processor was quite slow for photo editing in Lightroom connected to an external monitor.

I have to say, the 11" air is an awesome machine. In the year I owned it I have carried it around UK and Europe twice on month long holidays and various places around Australia and it has never missed a beat. The size makes it almost as practical as an iPad for travel with a full screen keyboard and ability to normal apps, manage files and so forth.

Kinda miss the 11", gave it to my parents and they are enjoying it now.

Drew

You loved owning the 11" but went with the 13, what made you make the switch?

mecfire
Jun 21, 2012, 11:15 PM
I just received my 2012 11" air and after using it for a day decided to exchange it for the 13". While I absolutely love the form size, the display is on the small side for me and I can already tell if I use it for prolonged periods of time, I will "wear out" my eyes. This is definitely something each person will need to decide for themselves. I look forward to the day when Apple can take full advantage of the bezel and have it all be usable screen. That would make the 11" perfect.

andrepelly
Jun 22, 2012, 05:11 AM
i already own an early 2008 MBP 15,4 upgraded to 6gb ram and and a faster HDD, still working pretty nicely, but i needed an extra brand new mac to share with my gf, as we're now working together developing a website.

So this new MBA should have been a full working machine, without compromising on portability as we're often abroad and we travel quite a lot for both family and working purposes.
I went to the local apple store and tested both 11" and 13" and i must say the 11" wins largely to me. That's mainly because on the 13" i miss the screen estate of my 15,4 and i miss the wonderful "grab and go" factor that only the 11" has.
Plus i'm buying a TBD to use the new AIR when working at home, in this way i really think i can get the best of both worlds.
That's my ideal setup.

astormsau
Jun 25, 2012, 07:28 PM
You loved owning the 11" but went with the 13, what made you make the switch?

I wanted a bit more screen real-estate for Lightroom editing (the 13" has a slightly higher res) and larger display and I wanted the memory card reader built in and slightly longer battery life.

Drew

basharar
Jun 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
I had the original 11" sold it, ordered the 13", I hated it and it felt heavy!!! I tried talking my wife into swapping it with a new 11"....She got angry!!! she said the 11" was too small now! so the 13 is here to stay... I am slowly growing to love the 13, my eyes and hands were used to zooming in and out all the time, it became second nature while using the 11", i am doing it less now! and i just ordered a 27" display to complement it, since the new beast is so powerful to justify selling my big 17"!!!!

Redbull916
Jun 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
how does one go about hooking up this many monitors to a single macbook air? whats the adapter that you use? I don't know any that allows triple...I have seen a Thunderbolt to dual HDMI adapter...but thats about it

Only one screen is plugged into the Mac, the others are connected to a dell server.

MacLappy
Jun 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
I ordered an 11” macbook air last week. I know, it’s crazy.
Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t an easy decision.
After two 13”, it’s pretty easy to hate on the little guy. The bigger screen, better aspect ratio, larger battery, bigger palm rest, all adds up to an amazing computing experience on the 13”.
How do you improve on a computer that is almost perfect? No, that’s not quite right... How do you improve on a computer that is perfect?
The rational, mature decision would be to stick with the 13”. Stay faithful. After all what more could you ask for?
And here lies the greatest attraction of the 11”.
It is so adorable. Too adorable.
Somehow despite the fact that I had the 13” for the last 2 years, every time I walk into an apple store, I would linger at the 11”. Run my hands over the keypad, click on the trackpad, re-look at the small and tiny profile again. Every single time.
Walk out of the apple store feeling justified that I made the right choice going with the 13”, after all my eyes are not getting any less weary with age.
Then in a couple of days, I am back researching the 11” again.
Does it make sense?
Of course not.
Buying the 11” is not a head decision, it is a heart decision.
To have all that power packed into this tiny form factor is a thing of engineering beauty, what it lacks in practical functionality it makes up with character.
It beckons me to type again. To sit, to stare, to explore, to dream and most of all to enjoy.
And so, here I am, in love.
Here’s a little secret, today I almost brought my 11” to the loo. I know, it’s disgusting. Thankfully by sheer willpower i manage to leave it outside.
Somehow the 11” feels more personal, it’s mine in a way the 13” has never been. Like an extension of my being, It connects with me on an emotional level, and i can’t keep my greedy paws off it.
What’s that i see, i think there is a sparkle in my eye, I am in love.

Sounds Good
Jun 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
I would linger at the 11”. Run my hands over the keypad, click on the trackpad, re-look at the small and tiny profile again. It beckons me to type again. To sit, to stare, to explore, to dream and most of all to enjoy. And so, here I am, in love. What’s that i see, i think i there is a sparkle in my eye, I am in love.
I think I need a moment...

;)

entatlrg
Jun 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
I am in love.

Wow, you're 'bang on', very very well written.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need a moment too. :)

petsk
Jun 30, 2012, 02:24 PM
Reading the PPI specifications for the 11 and 13 inch screens I find it quite odd when people claim the 11" puts stress on your eyes :confused: The 11" has 135 PPI and the 13" has 128 PPI, in other words are they virtually the same.

If you'd move the 11" Air just one inch closer to your eyes at normal working distance you would totally eliminate the PPI difference.

So where do people get this idea from? :eek:

jimboutilier
Jun 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
Reading the PPI specifications for the 11 and 13 inch screens I find it quite odd when people claim the 11" puts stress on your eyes :confused: The 11" has 135 PPI and the 13" has 128 PPI, in other words are they virtually the same.

If you'd move the 11" Air just one inch closer to your eyes at normal working distance you would totally eliminate the PPI difference.

So where do people get this idea from? :eek:

People get it from their experience. Specs don't tell the whole story. I personally find the 11" so crisp and clear the smaller size of everything I'm looking at doesn't bother me. But I can see it WOULD bother some people.

Take a look at the same web site on an 11" and a 13" and what you see on the 11" is considerably smaller. For some that may bean the difference between a comfortable, relaxed seating position and a hunched over one thats not comfortable. Thats not only from the size of things on the screen but the fact that the top of the 11" screen is considerably lower.

It may not bother you or me but lots of folks indicate it does bother them. So why discount their experience based on a spec that says the PPI only differs by 5% - the relative object sizes differ by considerably more and the screen to eye geometry are different so PPI is not the only factor.

petsk
Jun 30, 2012, 05:45 PM
Take a look at the same web site on an 11" and a 13" and what you see on the 11" is considerably smaller.

Sure you can fit more content on the 13 inch screen but we are not talking about that. We are talking about the size of the GUI (text, icons etc).

Some people say that their eyes get strained and they need glasses etc. with the 11 inch but not with the 13 inch. I've read this in several threads and in my opinion it's a completely false statement.

It makes no sense because you will need glasses on both machines if you need glasses on one of them. Glasses won't let you fit more or less content on the screen. Facts are facts and you cannot change that with "personal experience".

Sounds Good
Jun 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Smaller is smaller. 135 PPI is smaller than 128 PPI. Add to that a lower top of screen point. Add to that the resolution difference. It might not be a DRASTIC difference, but it's not "virtually the same."

jksu
Jun 30, 2012, 09:26 PM
Smaller is smaller. 135 PPI is smaller than 128 PPI. Add to that a lower top of screen point. Add to that the resolution difference. It might not be a DRASTIC difference, but it's not "virtually the same."

agreed!

not sure what the other poster's issue is -- if he likes smaller, good for him and enjoy his 11". i think the mba 11 is a great laptop. i had one for 2 years. but love moving up to 13".

no reason to say folks that prefer the 13" are liars...

macsnack
Jun 30, 2012, 11:14 PM
Buying the 11” is not a head decision, it is a heart decision.

You summed it up perfectly for me there! :)

ckeck
Jun 30, 2012, 11:19 PM
Ok, so what Apple needs is a damn 12" Air to replace the both of these...the sweet spot. Simplify the supply chain, reduce options and churn like we see pages of here...12" is the perfect size. Could even squeeze the SD slot back in there.

12" w/ IPS Display (retina or not, who cares)
add SD slot
slightly bigger battery
8gb and 512 SSD

No comparison...would hands down be the most ideal Air in size/power/weight/res/etc.

petsk
Jul 1, 2012, 03:31 AM

So you're saying that the 13 inch Air is recommended for anyone who get their eyes strained over the 11 inch Air? If so, you are plain dumb.

Hiding everything but a portion of the screen on both the 11" and 13" and comparing the size of the text would make it a guessing game for you to tell wish screen is 11 inch and wish is 13 inch. To tell the difference you'd have to be able to count each individual pixel.

The MBP 13"/15" is a much better option for strained eyes. Stay away from the Air and especially the 27 inch ACD/iMac.

Sounds Good
Jul 1, 2012, 07:38 AM
So you're saying that the 13 inch Air is recommended for anyone who get their eyes strained over the 11 inch Air? If so, you are plain dumb.
I never said that.

albusseverus
Jul 1, 2012, 10:16 AM
…every time I walk into an apple store, I would linger at the 11”. Run my hands over the keypad, click on the trackpad, re-look at the small and tiny profile again. Every single time.
Walk out of the apple store feeling justified that I made the right choice going with the 13”, after all my eyes are not getting any less weary with age.
Then in a couple of days, I am back researching the 11” again.
Does it make sense?

Perfect sense. The 16:9 ratio is actually more pleasing to the eye, which is why it was chosen for cinema/HD.

Sure the 13" is a bigger screen, but it's not as pleasing to the eye. It's not a heart decision, it's not even purely aesthetic, it's a scientific fact that the 16:9 aspect ratio is all that's needed, in all the right places. And it's smaller and lighter -again- in all the right ways for a portable computer.

The 13" looks significantly larger, side by side in the shop, and there's a part of us that thinks, "Not much bigger, but bigger screen." Using both separately though, the 11" is just more of everything you actually need, without the bulk of the 13". The 13" has more, but in all the wrong ways, in every way that counts, except battery life, maybe (more on this later).

If the 13" was 16:9, the choice might be harder, but no such animal exists. And it wouldn't LOOK as much larger in the screen as the current 13", because of the aspect ratio. If Apple could make it as light as the current 11"… that would be a hard choice.

As for battery life - well, if you're using the 11" in your lap, I doubt you could exhaust the battery before you exhaust the comfort factor, sitting that way. If you're using it on a desk, then in all likelihood, you can plug in the power, too. Portable computers' batteries are for the in-between times - bus, train, plane, lounge chair, back garden. The rest of the time, you'll be plugged into the power.

If the 11" Air was my only machine, I don't know if I'd be as happy (unless I had a 27" external monitor, of course), but for sheer portability… I think expectations have changed quite a lot.

Witness the 15" Retina - pick that up and it feels too large, these days - for a portable, I mean. As a Pro desktop, it's a winner. As a transportable workstation, it's awesome. For general and even some special purpose computing… we just don't need that much grunt/screen. There's sooo much more power in an 11" Air nowadays, and the pokey little iPhone and iPad screens have changed perceptions of what's a useable size.

Yes, I use glasses more than I do for my iMac, but what can you expect? The power of a Mac that fits in your iPad bag. I could put my glasses on for THAT.

Gruber uses an 11" because he was given one with Mountain Lion on it. I might be wrong, but I don't think he's given that back, yet. Let's see if he parts with the cash when he returns the loaner. Laporte (for example) loved the 11" long-time, but changed to 13". I wonder if he'd got a new 11" maxed out, whether he'd have changed. Gruber liked the instant-on of the new 11" Air, which is something we previous-model owners just don't get.

norneDK
Jul 2, 2012, 09:58 AM
Somehow the 11” feels more personal, it’s mine in a way the 13” has never been. Like an extension of my being, It connects with me on an emotional level, and i can’t keep my greedy paws off it.
What’s that i see, i think there is a sparkle in my eye, I am in love.

I totally think this is the best ode ever written to my new adorable computer. Yes, I do come from a 2010 MBP 13", and since this little baby arrived on Wednesday, I also did have my doubts about the screen and font size. Now I use the 11" MBA all the time and already feel that I've gotten more used to the smaller screen. I hope it's going to continue this way. My eyes easily get tired from reading on displays which is why I much prefer reading on my Kindle to reading on the iPad. My point is that if I can get used to reading and writing on this one, most people can.

My biggest fear is that I'll fall asleep while watching a movie on this gorgeous display because it's so light I barely notice it's there.

What can I say - I'm crazy in love, too, and while the MBA was supposed to be my 'portable' laptop, it already seems like it's simply replacing the MBP 13" as my main computer.

So with the font, it maybe wasn't 'love at first sight', but now that we're getting to know each other better, this might actually turn into true love.

tim100
Jul 5, 2012, 12:17 PM
Perfect sense. The 16:9 ratio is actually more pleasing to the eye, which is why it was chosen for cinema/HD.

Sure the 13" is a bigger screen, but it's not as pleasing to the eye. It's not a heart decision, it's not even purely aesthetic, it's a scientific fact that the 16:9 aspect ratio is all that's needed, in all the right places. And it's smaller and lighter -again- in all the right ways for a portable computer.

The 13" looks significantly larger, side by side in the shop, and there's a part of us that thinks, "Not much bigger, but bigger screen." Using both separately though, the 11" is just more of everything you actually need, without the bulk of the 13". The 13" has more, but in all the wrong ways, in every way that counts, except battery life, maybe (more on this later).

If the 13" was 16:9, the choice might be harder, but no such animal exists. And it wouldn't LOOK as much larger in the screen as the current 13", because of the aspect ratio. If Apple could make it as light as the current 11"… that would be a hard choice.

As for battery life - well, if you're using the 11" in your lap, I doubt you could exhaust the battery before you exhaust the comfort factor, sitting that way. If you're using it on a desk, then in all likelihood, you can plug in the power, too. Portable computers' batteries are for the in-between times - bus, train, plane, lounge chair, back garden. The rest of the time, you'll be plugged into the power.

If the 11" Air was my only machine, I don't know if I'd be as happy (unless I had a 27" external monitor, of course), but for sheer portability… I think expectations have changed quite a lot.

Witness the 15" Retina - pick that up and it feels too large, these days - for a portable, I mean. As a Pro desktop, it's a winner. As a transportable workstation, it's awesome. For general and even some special purpose computing… we just don't need that much grunt/screen. There's sooo much more power in an 11" Air nowadays, and the pokey little iPhone and iPad screens have changed perceptions of what's a useable size.

Yes, I use glasses more than I do for my iMac, but what can you expect? The power of a Mac that fits in your iPad bag. I could put my glasses on for THAT.

Gruber uses an 11" because he was given one with Mountain Lion on it. I might be wrong, but I don't think he's given that back, yet. Let's see if he parts with the cash when he returns the loaner. Laporte (for example) loved the 11" long-time, but changed to 13". I wonder if he'd got a new 11" maxed out, whether he'd have changed. Gruber liked the instant-on of the new 11" Air, which is something we previous-model owners just don't get.

i think gruber said on the talk show that he personally had a 11 inch mba and mac pro tower. apple gave him a 13 air with m. lion.

gpat
Jul 5, 2012, 12:53 PM
Apple needs to redesign the MacBook Air next year.

Only one size
13" IPS display
Standard voltage CPU and user serviceable RAM/SSD (ok, this will never happen)
Zero bezel
8 hrs battery life
Named "MacBook"
Starting at $999
Trash 13" Macbook Pro and both 11" and 13" Macbook Air (mass economy FTW)

Would completely blow away every Ultrabook competitor. Bar none.

Sounds Good
Jul 5, 2012, 01:54 PM
Would completely blow away every Ultrabook competitor. Bar none.
Would. But that's a pretty big "if."

entatlrg
Jul 5, 2012, 04:33 PM
Ok, so what Apple needs is a damn 12" Air to replace the both of these...the sweet spot. Simplify the supply chain, reduce options and churn like we see pages of here...12" is the perfect size. Could even squeeze the SD slot back in there.

12" w/ IPS Display (retina or not, who cares)
add SD slot
slightly bigger battery
8gb and 512 SSD

No comparison...would hands down be the most ideal Air in size/power/weight/res/etc.

Exactly, that's the wisest post I've read on this forum to date. Why Apple didn't do this I have no idea. Probably thought they'd make more money selling an 11 and 13" instead.

That would be my dream computer.

tim100
Jul 5, 2012, 10:10 PM
the 11 inch is a great size, i just wish the bezel was not so thick.

aznguyen316
Jul 5, 2012, 10:40 PM
I wish it was a 12.5" screen IPS like the x220/x230. I swear there's enough bezel room. Keep the same footprint. Bam.

tim100
Jul 6, 2012, 12:47 PM
its hard to use a larger laptop after using an 11

beyondthesmile
Jul 6, 2012, 02:14 PM
I noticed eyestrain when playing with the 11" MBA (almost left out MBA and realized that didn't sound very good...) in store but I think it may have been the lighting, etc. because I happened to pass by a Sony store yesterday and looked at an 11.6" Vaio and had no problems with it. The resolution is the same as that of the 11" MBA. I also had no problem with an 8.9" netbook in the past. I'll take a look at the 11" MBA again the next time I'm in store and play around with the backlight settings, etc.

Aniseedvan
Jul 6, 2012, 02:45 PM
I noticed eyestrain when playing with the 11" MBA (almost left out MBA and realized that didn't sound very good...) in store but I think it may have been the lighting, etc. because I happened to pass by a Sony store yesterday and looked at an 11.6" Vaio and had no problems with it. The resolution is the same as that of the 11" MBA. I also had no problem with an 8.9" netbook in the past. I'll take a look at the 11" MBA again the next time I'm in store and play around with the backlight settings, etc.

I know plenty of people with vaio's who have had problems to a man/woman. I personally would not even entertain buying one. Note, I've got two HP laptops and a 17" Samsung at home, so I'm quite biased towards PCs but it's surprised me the number of problems a decent band such as Sony seem to have..

beyondthesmile
Jul 6, 2012, 05:23 PM
I know plenty of people with vaio's who have had problems to a man/woman. I personally would not even entertain buying one. Note, I've got two HP laptops and a 17" Samsung at home, so I'm quite biased towards PCs but it's surprised me the number of problems a decent band such as Sony seem to have..

I've had a Vaio in the past without problems, but I'm actually not considering a Vaio at all (although I found that my battery on my Vaio died MUCH more quickly than other PCs I've had and than my current Mac; Died as in no longer held a charge at all. I only had one Vaio though so I can't generalize and say this is the case for all). I more meant that since I was able to handle the screen on that computer - at the same resolution and size - the Air screen should be fine for me too. So I'll have to check it out again.

OptimusGeorge
Jul 6, 2012, 11:14 PM
I actually used an 11 today. I held it next to a 13 and was almost amazed by the horsiness of the 13. I've made my choice and, quite frankly, it was easier than I thought it would be. Now to place my order. :D

One word comes to mind... Whee!!!

islanders
Jul 8, 2012, 05:22 PM
I had the 11'' for about a week and glad I returned it and finally got a 13''. The 11 is quite usable and for me the only issue is the vertical space, so it's just a matter of if you really need the portability and are willing to view a more limited area at one time.

All in all I'm very pleased to have purchased it locally, with a $165 discount, as the first one I ordered had an error with the tracking notification that I found unacceptable communication.

I'm off to a good start with this one and love the 13'' It really is the perfect computer for day to day use for me.

jksu
Jul 8, 2012, 11:10 PM
I wish it was a 12.5" screen IPS like the x220/x230. I swear there's enough bezel room. Keep the same footprint. Bam.

agreed! i'd buy this mba 12" in a heartbeat!

tim100
Jul 15, 2012, 02:09 PM
it does seem that the 11 inch mba has the cool factor. it seems like a lot to the tech bloggers have the 11 inch mba.

Kirixis
Jul 16, 2012, 12:50 AM
I was browsing the forums at MR constantly in anticipation of the 2012 MBA. I walked into the store and bought the 13" despite loving the 11". I think for a moment I saw the practicality of a 13" and have not looked back. It's only and inch.

MacLappy
Aug 6, 2012, 01:08 AM
I have been using the 11" air exclusively for more than a month now. Absolutely love it. Today I decided to do some spring cleaning on one of the older macbook air 13" and realise how "huge" it is. Anyone notice the same thing switching between the two sizes. :o

tim100
Aug 6, 2012, 06:36 PM
I have been using the 11" air exclusively for more than a month now. Absolutely love it. Today I decided to do some spring cleaning on one of the older macbook air 13" and realise how "huge" it is. Anyone notice the same thing switching between the two sizes. :o

do you prefer the 11 inch mba?

plucky duck
Aug 6, 2012, 06:48 PM

The 13" Air is thin, but its still a large laptop. Portable, but not ultraportable like the 11". If I didn't already have an iMac I'd choose the 13". I love the 11" form factor, so much more fun to use and carry around.

sayre
Aug 6, 2012, 09:46 PM
I've got an 11inch. The only thing I truly wish it had is the SD card slot.I was thinking that too, but then there are items like this out there: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FLENJC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A3D26MR0NTC8CO

MacLappy
Aug 6, 2012, 10:10 PM
do you prefer the 11 inch mba?

Yes! It is so amazing. I prefer it on so many levels, there is simply no comparison between the 11" and 13". :D

stisdal
Aug 7, 2012, 01:14 AM
The 13" Air is thin, but its still a large laptop. Portable, but not ultraportable like the 11". If I didn't already have an iMac I'd choose the 13". I love the 11" form factor, so much more fun to use and carry around.

I'm with this. I have a new Mini in my (home) office with a 24 inch screen for any heavy lifting I need to do, the 11" Air (2011 i5/4gb/128gb) serves my travel and portability needs very well. I did the iPad thing for a few years (all 3) but in the end the 11" Air just has more to offer. Everything my Mac can do, plus everything the iPad did for me in one easy to pick up and go with package. I use my iPhone for the quick hit while on the run if necessary...

Matt Leaf
Aug 7, 2012, 11:23 AM
It's amazing the way Apple's products find ways to tailor to different moments of your life.

I have an 11" MBA enroute and I couldn't be more excited.

Initially I thought I would go for the 13". The 11" seemed ridiculously small - too small to get any serious work done. But my initial reasons for getting an Air were lightness.

I primarily use a 2011 15" MBP, and I would consider myself a Pro user. I use a LOT of heavy video and audio apps. But I also do a lot of writing, and have been learning programming. These kinds of tasks arent really that processor heavy, so the Air seemed like a logical choice to keep learning and planning on the go.

The differences between iOS and OSX really are massive. I own the original iPad, which often became my 'grab and go' machine. But increasingly many of the tasks I perform without a hitch on OSX were either cumbersome on iOS, or absent altogether.

For any serious coding, one needs a true full size physical keyboard. But you also need a multi window user interface. iOS is based on the premise that every app is its own fullscreen window, but it's also limited for throwing content around between apps, or having apps work together in a larger whole.

So for me iOS apps are like solitary tools. They work great by themselves, or integrated with an OSX device.

Increasingly for me this has restricted my iPad to a casual device. It's also limited by whether or not I have cellular data paid for, or am in range of wifi. Since I also have an iPhone, like most people this device never leaves my pocket. And like previous posters said this covers my 'quick hit' bases when on the go, or tethering for mobile web if I'm out with my MBP.

So the Air is the solution to my portable workflow woes that I have with iOS. In fact, I'm tempted to sell the iPad, but the main reason stopping me is it has become integrated into my live performance setup. I've considered selling it and getting a Quneo, which does exactly what Touch OSC does. But the iPad is still nice, for casual reading, or couch browsing.

So, I've often had my 15" MBP in my backpack, and about town, to keep productive on OSX. When I couldn't be bothered with the weight strain of the MBP, I'd take the iPad, only to find it crippled for what I really would prefer to be working on, on the go.

When I went into a Mac store to finally consider the 13", there was the 11. And I was stunned. I'll admit the 16:9 ratio does look a little quirky, but when I played with it I was amazed at how incredible the resolution was.

Then it hit me. The big reason I wanted an Air was for portability. I already had an MBP for the tough stuff, I've got the screen real estate if I need it. I'd go between the 13" and the 11, and suddenly I realized the 11" MBA was what I wanted.

I didn't want to complain about weight. I didn't want to leave my notebook at home because of sore shoulders or strain. No, I wanted a notebook with me everywhere, to be pulled out at any moment of inspiration. But I also wanted other things - a packed lunch. A drink, some extra clothing and a book. Once you add these up, after decades of laptop freight, the human frame gets pretty tired of it. I'm only a small guy, with enough back problems as it is.

The 11" MBA I think will be the ultimate on the go production companion. Since I'll only be working with text files, patches and programming files, I can save everything to Dropbox for easy retrieval when I get home.

What's more I have the Thunderbolt Display. Should I need to up the Res for a closer look in more domestic surrounds.

And my MacBook Pro can finally be tasked to what it's good for - heavy rendering, high load CPU tasks - things I would never actually do on the go anyway.

I'll still keep the iPad I think, which another poster mentioned is a great companion to the Air on flights. 3 hours of MBA, and the iPad for movies and entertainment. Even the two combined don't add up to the weight of 13" MBP.

So I can't wait till this little puppy turns up! I think it will be an awesome addition to my workflow :)

Just wanna say too, as cheesy as this thread is, I've really enjoyed reading it! It's actually been entertaining! To the point I had to share my own story ;)

plucky duck
Aug 7, 2012, 12:10 PM
The iPad 3 and the 11" is truly a perfect companion to each other. I feel I have the best of both worlds when I am mobile, don't feel like I am sacrificing anything at all. My reason for going with the air is to take advantage of both the weight and size, if I went with the 13" I feel like I am leaving something on the table. My iMac is my workhorse so I have all bases covered.

I love our first world problems, heh.

seared.ahi
Aug 7, 2012, 12:15 PM
The iPad 3 and the 11" is truly a perfect companion to each other. I feel I have the best of both worlds .

I don't understand this at all. The ipad is redundant next to the MacBook air. My parents have an ipad and I don't see any real use for it ESPECIALLY if you have a MBA. MBA can do everything and more. Also MBA 11" weighs less than the ipad (or close). Why would you double your traveling weight for no gain in productivity. And don't tell me it's so you can draw things with your finger.

plucky duck
Aug 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
I don't understand this at all. The ipad is redundant next to the MacBook air. My parents have an ipad and I don't see any real use for it ESPECIALLY if you have a MBA. MBA can do everything and more. Also MBA 11" weighs less than the ipad (or close). Why would you double your traveling weight for no gain in productivity. And don't tell me it's so you can draw things with your finger.

I don't always need a keyboard, yet would like to enjoy the functionality that osx and boot camp (gaming) brings. I enjoy both form factors. They are different yet similar. Similar in size, yet much different in terms of raw power and battery life. They both can for sure perform similar functions, but the approach can be different enough to offer a satisfying experience depending on your mood/preference/likings.

J&JPolangin
Aug 7, 2012, 12:29 PM

...I also want a better battery life in the 11.6" MBA and will either get an Ivy Bridge or Haswell model (next year) but either way, the iPad pick up where the MBA battery life runs out when out and about...I have an old Sony PS2 messenger bag that holds both units very nicely:D

entatlrg
Aug 7, 2012, 12:40 PM

Every few months someone makes a post like this, claiming the iPad and MacBook Air are redundant and shouldn't be used together. That's beyond ridiculous and I hope no one makes a decision based on those words.

I use my MacBook Air and iPad together every day for business and pleasure. One compliments the other very well. To many examples to list, but it doesn't matter anyway. If you think a MacBook Air and/or iPad may suit your needs try them, both items are easily returnable.

MacLappy
Aug 7, 2012, 12:56 PM
The 13" Air is thin, but its still a large laptop. Portable, but not ultraportable like the 11". I love the 11" form factor, so much more fun to use and carry around.

Really well summed up Plucky. The 11" is so portable it goes with me almost everywhere. It's a new experience compared to the 13" which I used mostly hooked up to my dell 3008 WFP.

If I didn't already have an iMac I'd choose the 13".

I notice that many people feel this way about the 13" compared to the 11", in the sense that it is automatically recommended as the more "sensible" choice when one is looking for a main/only computer. Two months ago I believe I would wholeheartedly agree, but the last month and a half solely using the 11" has really altered my perspective of this little mac.

Here are some of the things I noticed in these last few weeks that hopefully would alleviate the fear of going so small.

While using my macs connected to my 30" screen I never really use active desktop or fullscreen mode, in fact many of the nicety of Mac OSX was lost on me since I had so much screen real estate. To a smaller extend the 13" macbook air feels the same. As of OSX Lion, apple seems to be gearing towards enhancing the experience of it's main operating system on devices with smaller screens. This puts the 11" in a perfect position. On a 30" 2560x1600 screen, fullscreen mode feels kind of meaningless. On a 13" 1440x900 screen, its really great but not absolutely essential. On an 11" 1366x768 screen, it is nothing short of amazing. Suddenly all the effort that apple put into creating active desktops, fullscreen mode, easy swipe navigation, smooth zooming etc makes perfect sense. The macbook air 11" really exemplify apple's ability to recreate a perfect desktop experience, in spite of all the inherent shortcoming of a small screen. This is the perfect machine to showcase the perfect operation system.

The insane portability of the 11" cannot be explained, it needs to be experience. I will not attempt to describe how easily the 11" just "fits" as I am positively certain I cannot adequately express how well it conforms to my lifestyle. Suffice to say that it would “fit” you. Period. What often has not been conveyed, is the amazing balance that apple achieved on the 11". It feels like a perfectly weighted katana. Balancing it on one thigh while stretching the other, would make you believe that it is perhaps the perfect partner device while performing yoga. The kind of “ergonomical” magic apple pulled off in order to create this little masterpiece is simply astounding.

The lust factor of the 11” is undeniable, not just because of it’s sleek silver appearance, it’s petiteness but also because of it’s amazing “power” to weight/size ratio. Those who recollect yesteryears of ultraportables would clearly remember not only how much more costly they were, but also due to the size/thermal restrains, how crippled they were. Not with the macbook air 11”. This time you can fully configure the 11” with as much “power” as it’s bigger brother while maintaining the much smaller footprint, and yet purchase it at a lower cost. For someone who had bought both a ULV 1ghz core solo and an a ULV 1ghz core2duo sony 11” TZ, this kind of power to weight/size ratio at this kind of price is quite simply drool worthy.

Does the 13” last longer on battery? Yes. (Hopefully most people know they can get a good 5 hours of casual surfing, and almost 8 hours while working on a simple document offline on the macbook air 11”.) Does the 13” have a bigger/taller screen? Yes. ( Sure you can squint at 2 documents side by side on the 13” or you could use active desktop on the 11” and swipe to get from one to the other. Really if you must view 2 documents side by side, get a nice external monitor, it is worth it. Save your eyes while you are still young. No don’t get mad with me, yes you can thank me later.) Is the 13” the better macbook air? I don’t think so, for me I can confidently say that I most definitely prefer the 11” over the 13” and yes it is my main computer.

P.S. As you all can probably tell, I am completely in love with the 11” so do take everything I said with a whole casket of salt. I am such a basketcase! :D

tim100
Aug 7, 2012, 01:23 PM
Really well summed up Plucky. The 11" is so portable it goes with me almost everywhere. It's a new experience compared to the 13" which I used mostly hooked up to my dell 3008 WFP.

I notice that many people feel this way about the 13" compared to the 11", in the sense that it is automatically recommended as the more "sensible" choice when one is looking for a main/only computer. Two months ago I believe I would wholeheartedly agree, but the last month and a half solely using the 11" has really altered my perspective of this little mac.

Here are some of the things I noticed in these last few weeks that hopefully would alleviate the fear of going so small.

While using my macs connected to my 30" screen I never really use active desktop or fullscreen mode, in fact many of the nicety of Mac OSX was lost on me since I had so much screen real estate. To a smaller extend the 13" macbook air feels the same. As of OSX Lion, apple seems to be gearing towards enhancing the experience of it's main operating system on devices with smaller screens. This puts the 11" in a perfect position. On a 30" 2560x1600 screen, fullscreen mode feels kind of meaningless. On a 13" 1440x900 screen, its really great but not absolutely essential. On an 11" 1366x768 screen, it is nothing short of amazing. Suddenly all the effort that apple put into creating active desktops, fullscreen mode, easy swipe navigation, smooth zooming etc makes perfect sense. The macbook air 11" really exemplify apple's ability to recreate a perfect desktop experience, in spite of all the inherent shortcoming of a small screen. This is the perfect machine to showcase the perfect operation system.

The insane portability of the 11" cannot be explained, it needs to be experience. I will not attempt to describe how easily the 11" just "fits" as I am positively certain I cannot adequately express how well it conforms to my lifestyle. Suffice to say that it would “fit” you. Period. What often has not been conveyed, is the amazing balance that apple achieved on the 11". It feels like a perfectly weighted katana. Balancing it on one thigh while stretching the other, would make you believe that it is perhaps the perfect partner device while performing yoga. The kind of “ergonomical” magic apple pulled off in order to create this little masterpiece is simply astounding.

The lust factor of the 11” is undeniable, not just because of it’s sleek silver appearance, it’s petiteness but also because of it’s amazing “power” to weight/size ratio. Those who recollect yesteryears of ultraportables would clearly remember not only how much more costly they were, but also due to the size/thermal restrains, how crippled they were. Not with the macbook air 11”. This time you can fully configure the 11” with as much “power” as it’s bigger brother while maintaining the much smaller footprint, and yet purchase it at a lower cost. For someone who had bought both a ULV 1ghz core solo and an a ULV 1ghz core2duo sony 11” TZ, this kind of power to weight/size ratio at this kind of price is quite simply drool worthy.

Does the 13” last longer on battery? Yes. (Hopefully most people know they can get a good 5 hours of casual surfing, and almost 8 hours while working on a simple document offline on the macbook air 11”.) Does the 13” have a bigger/taller screen? Yes. ( Sure you can squint at 2 documents side by side on the 13” or you could use active desktop on the 11” and swipe to get from one to the other. Really if you must view 2 documents side by side, get a nice external monitor, it is worth it. Save your eyes while you are still young. No don’t get mad with me, yes you can thank me later.) Is the 13” the better macbook air? I don’t think so, for me I can confidently say that I most definitely prefer the 11” over the 13” and yes it is my main computer.

P.S. As you all can probably tell, I am completely in love with the 11” so do take everything I said with a whole casket of salt. I am such a basketcase! :D

some people pick the 11 inch macbook air for cost reasons. the 11 inch macbook air is the the entry level cheapest mac laptop. others pick the 11 inch for portability. i wonder how many pick the 11 over 13 mba when cost is not a factor.

anotherjoey
Aug 7, 2012, 04:26 PM

Thanks for that informative post. It was a pleasure reading it as you cover everything that I have been thinking about these last couple of weeks. I'm in the process of deciding between the 11" and 13" for my main computer, and everyone i've asked (with the exception of one person) has recommended the 13" due to its screen size, longer battery time and the SD slot and because the 11" is "too small" or might make my eyes hurt. Despite all of this, I have been longing for the 11" ever since I saw one of my friends using it. The logical and practical choice would be the 13", but just like you mention there is something undeniable about the 11" which makes me want it more than the 13". Maybe it's because i'm going from a MBP 13" from 2011 and just want something different - a nicer form factor and something more portable.

Your post reassured me that I can use the 11" as my main computer, especially with the new options given in Lion/ML as the active desktops etc. I can't wait to order mine in these coming days, and finally receive it!

MacLappy
Aug 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
It's amazing the way Apple's products find ways to tailor to different moments of your life. Then it hit me. The big reason I wanted an Air was for portability. Suddenly I realized the 11" MBA was what I wanted. I didn't want to complain about weight. I didn't want to leave my notebook at home because of sore shoulders or strain. No, I wanted a notebook with me everywhere, to be pulled out at any moment of inspiration. But I also wanted other things - a packed lunch. A drink, some extra clothing and a book. Once you add these up, after decades of laptop freight, the human frame gets pretty tired of it. I'm only a small guy, with enough back problems as it is.

This is just brilliant! :D

MacLappy
Aug 8, 2012, 01:31 AM
some people pick the 11 inch macbook air for cost reasons. the 11 inch macbook air is the the entry level cheapest mac laptop. others pick the 11 inch for portability. i wonder how many pick the 11 over 13 mba when cost is not a factor.

It is really amazing how apple managed to flipflop the whole industry with the macbook air.

Just 3 years ago, getting a "real" ultraportable was such a costly affair. Think sony’s TZ series.

With the rise of the netbook, price went downhill but so did everything else, we are talking horrid screen, poor build quality, bare minimum specs, slow performance etc all at a really good price. Every PC maker was fighting to make the cheapest laptop. Think acer aspire one.

Then apple came in with the late 2010 macbook air, and everything changed. Remember this is not the first macbook air launch. The 13” had been around for a couple of years but it never got the kind of traction that apple desired. The 11” is the epitome of everything that apple believed in. With it apple showed the entire industry that it is possible to produce a laptop that performs not just mediocrely but exceptionally well, while maintaining a small footprint, all at a reasonable price. This really went against the prevailing tread of the pc world during that time(ultraportable/netbook era). Of course today we see everyone trying to copying apple and we begin to think that it is because they have no originality. This is absolutely not true. Rather they copy apple because apple’s vision of the future is so much brighter than what they had perviously envisioned with dreary ultraportables and netbooks. That they drop all their plans and steal apple’s design, is really an indication of what a game changer the macbook air was. Specifically the 11”.

Today's macbook air, is

- crazy fast. Think instant on. 12-15 secs boot up.

- amazingly well specced (Up to - ULV Core i7, 2 physical cores with an addition 2 virtual cores through hyper threading, 8GB of DDR3L SDRAM, 512Gb Flash Storage)

- supremely versatile through thunderbolt and 2 USB 3.0 ports. (we are talking multiple display options ranging from VGA to DUAL LINK DVI, high speed external hard disk options, external thunderbolt chassis that support specialize cards like the Red Rocket for video editing and yes even a firewire adapter! Heck it is now ever possible to hook not one but two 27” cinema display up to a macbook air.)

- insanely well build machine with immaculate fit and finish (Unibody chassis, beautiful screen, clear and loud build in speakers, full size backlit keyboard, fluid trackpad, generally silent operation, well controlled temperatures.)

The 11” is priced lower than the 13” today but it was not so long ago that “ultraportables” commanded a lucrative premium over bigger machines. Remember, “ultraportables” were synonymous with CEOs and CFOs. That apple chose to lower the price of a premium product and place it within reach of the common man is testament of how customer orientated the company truly is. That the 11” fits the same amount of power of a much larger machine in such a compact form is testament of apple’s engineering marvel and how dedicated they are to producing awesome products. That each new iteration of OSX improves the user experience on smaller screen machines is testament that small footprint is very much a part of apple’s envisioned future. What a bright future it is!

To be honest I really like what apple is doing, therefor I vote for apple by buying a mac, therefor I vote for the future by buying an 11” macbook air.:D

P.S. While I am so mesmerized by the 11” at the moment, I do think that the 13” is also a really fantastic mac. Having used both of them, I think I could be happy with either.

----------

Thanks for that informative post. It was a pleasure reading it as you cover everything that I have been thinking about these last couple of weeks. I'm in the process of deciding between the 11" and 13" for my main computer, and everyone i've asked (with the exception of one person) has recommended the 13" due to its screen size, longer battery time and the SD slot and because the 11" is "too small" or might make my eyes hurt. Despite all of this, I have been longing for the 11" ever since I saw one of my friends using it. The logical and practical choice would be the 13", but just like you mention there is something undeniable about the 11" which makes me want it more than the 13". Maybe it's because i'm going from a MBP 13" from 2011 and just want something different - a nicer form factor and something more portable.

Your post reassured me that I can use the 11" as my main computer, especially with the new options given in Lion/ML as the active desktops etc. I can't wait to order mine in these coming days, and finally receive it!

I am so glad for you. You will love it. :D

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 01:33 AM
I'm using an 11" Air right now and it's pretty fantastic. It handles most tasks pretty easily... even some light gaming. You get used to the smaller screen size and find that it's actually useable thanks to the larger resolution display. It's a very solid, quality ultrabook and I have nothing bad to say about it. For what it is... it's great.

lionmanpt
Aug 9, 2012, 06:13 AM
I already tried the 11'' and 13'' and I must say beforehand that I do not like at all the screen color range and sharpness on the MBA.

Stating this I must say that the screen imperfections are most visible on the 13''.

I consider the 11'' a true piece of engineering. It is very solid and I tend to love 16:9 screens. However my eyes aren't as good as 30 years ago (perhaps due to spending to much time on those VAX/VMS green or orange terminals doing endless limes of coding......)

My advise is : can your eye site keep with the 11" ? Go for it !!!

Blackberryroid
Aug 9, 2012, 08:52 AM

MacBook Air 11 user here... From 15" MacBook Pro and 13" White MacBook...

It's not small. It's now my main computer. At the first week, it may seem small, but as the time passes by, you'll see it's the perfect computer. Even my 13" MacBook looks so large right now. My 15" MacBook Pro looks like it doesn't deserve the name "Portable"

TL;DR:
You will eventually adapt to screen sizes. Nothing is too big or too small, unless we're talking about 9" screens or 35" screens.

lewdvig
Aug 9, 2012, 11:35 PM
I just sold my iPad 3 for an 11" MBA.

I just could not get used to the virtual KB. Size is the same, but I think I can do more with a proper PC.

The 13 is awesome too. But like Blackberryroid after playing around with one again (I briefly had an 11" C2D when they first came out) 13" look big and especially 15" notebooks look like DTR laptops.

Booji
Aug 10, 2012, 12:30 AM
I know what you are talking about - its true.

I started with a 2010 11" and later upgraded to a 2011 13" ultimate. On paper, the size and weight differences look insignificant, but the 11" really seems so much smaller. Although the 13" is more usable for me, I do miss the cool factor of the 11".

However, if you travel a lot (I do) there are many ways the 13" is actually better. Because of the longer battery life, I can leave the power supply in my check-in bag. When I travel, I don't have a remote monitor so working all day on the 11" I found to be really tiring.

But I do agree with the OP - even though the 13" checks all the boxes, from the design point of view, the 11" seems to be a pinnacle of Apple design, whereas the 13" looks more like a mainstream laptop. When the next upgrade cycle comes (Haswell) - it will again be a tough choice but I just may forget the rational thought and go back to the 11" simply because it is so cool.

Cheffy Dave
Aug 10, 2012, 12:36 AM
Thats why I have 3 2010 11" MBA, once they release them with a Retina screen, I'll have another 3:eek:;):cool:

plucky duck
Aug 10, 2012, 06:19 AM
Thats why I have 3 2010 11" MBA, once they release them with a Retina screen, I'll have another 3:eek:;):cool:

All 3 for yourself? Hoard much? lol

I just love the form factor it's quite unique and sexy, where as the 13" is pretty bland and feels like your typical standard laptop.

Cheffy Dave
Aug 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
All 3 for yourself? Hoard much? lol

I just love the form factor it's quite unique and sexy, where as the 13" is pretty bland and feels like your typical standard laptop.

My wife and I run our business with our two,my Daughter uses hers as a teacher:cool:

Mseek
Aug 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
on Monday i will buy my MBA and i really want the 11 inch my ONLY concern is the battery life as it'll have to last a whole school day...still haven't decided which one to get

caoimhe
Aug 10, 2012, 01:02 PM
However my eyes aren't as good as 30 years ago (perhaps due to spending to much time on those VAX/VMS green or orange terminals doing endless limes of coding......)

I remember those all too well. Puts all this colour / resolution stuff in perspective!

I thought the 11" screen was remarkably good even with my declining eyesight, but the battery life on the 13" was my deciding factor (too much travel). I really do like the looks of the 11 though!

lionmanpt
Aug 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
I remember those all too well. Puts all this colour / resolution stuff in perspective!

I thought the 11" screen was remarkably good even with my declining eyesight, but the battery life on the 13" was my deciding factor (too much travel). I really do like the looks of the 11 though!

I agree , I do love the 11". Seems like a unique piece of engineering !

bubbleboyjones
Aug 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
I don't own an Air but I was at the Apple store today playing with the 11" and 13" and I found myself drawn to the 11" much more. The screen looks super sharp at that size and the form factor is amazing.....as everyone said the 13" seems big compared to it.

Right now I have an Ipad 2 and a huge 2010 Sony Vaio laptop(16.4" screen, i7, 6gb ram, 500 gb HD). The Vaio has 2 things I absolutely despise about it. It weighs 6.8 lbs and the batter life is a little over an hour. I hate that I have to wait a while to wake the laptop out of sleep and I hate how its basically just a small desktop because of the weight and how you basically need a plug in all the time for it.

I really been looking at the Airs as of late and they really seem like a great compliment to my iPad. I also checked out the new Dell xps13 and I wasn't impressed at all at the hardware and design. I have no problems with Win 7 and actually am a huge fan of that OS but on the Dell it doesn't seem that great.

----------

Also I was pricing out a 11" and 13" MBA and does anyone notice that the 13" is only $50 more when you are comparing the following

11" $1,649.00
2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

13" $1,699.00
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

I was hoping the 11" would be a bit cheaper when upgraded with the i7 and HD. Pretty much 8 gb of memory seems like a nobrainer upgrade for $100. Im not sure how well I would like having the base 128 flash storage. That seems really low. Seems when it comes to upgrading ram and HD space, you always end up needing more than less.

dkersten
Aug 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
I spent the better part of 2 months going back and forth on what I should get for college (going into computer engineering). Finally my better judgement won and I got the 13in for practicality reasons. However, my heart still belongs to the 11in and it will be my first computer purchase out of college when I get a better paying job other than working at a grocery store.

lionmanpt
Aug 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
I don't own an Air but I was at the Apple store today playing with the 11" and 13" and I found myself drawn to the 11" much more. The screen looks super sharp at that size and the form factor is amazing.....as everyone said the 13" seems big compared to it.

Right now I have an Ipad 2 and a huge 2010 Sony Vaio laptop(16.4" screen, i7, 6gb ram, 500 gb HD). The Vaio has 2 things I absolutely despise about it. It weighs 6.8 lbs and the batter life is a little over an hour. I hate that I have to wait a while to wake the laptop out of sleep and I hate how its basically just a small desktop because of the weight and how you basically need a plug in all the time for it.

I really been looking at the Airs as of late and they really seem like a great compliment to my iPad. I also checked out the new Dell xps13 and I wasn't impressed at all at the hardware and design. I have no problems with Win 7 and actually am a huge fan of that OS but on the Dell it doesn't seem that great.

----------

Also I was pricing out a 11" and 13" MBA and does anyone notice that the 13" is only $50 more when you are comparing the following

11" $1,649.00
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

13" $1,699.00
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

I was hoping the 11" would be a bit cheaper when upgraded with the i7 and HD. Pretty much 8 gb of memory seems like a nobrainer upgrade for $100. Im not sure how well I would like having the base 128 flash storage. That seems really low. Seems when it comes to upgrading ram and HD space, you always end up needing more than less.

The difference is due to the fact that the upgrade from i5 to i7 on the 11" is much more expensive than on the 13". Try do a comparison with the same RAM and Flash Storage but with the default i5 and you will see a difference.....

It is difficult to explain the price difference on the upgrade of the processor.

hchavarria
Aug 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
Just changed my 4-month old 13" pro for an 11" air, 8gb RAM, 128 SSD. No regrets.

NuggetSauce
Aug 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
Of course it's personal preference, but I really wanted to like the 11 inch and choose it, but it's just too damn small. Its cute, and cheaper, but gaming and watching movies on the 11 inch is significantly less satisfying.

idencustom
Aug 12, 2012, 09:07 AM
I travel a lot. Typical day is fly from ATL to LGA, jump in a car... head to Manhattan... and then catch a 3pm (hopefully not the 5pm flight from hell) back to ATL. I do this 3 times a week. I have been using an 11", but... by noon, I'm scrambling for a power outlet (I try not to use it on the flight to NY, but sometimes I have to).

By the time, I'm on the flight home.. my MBA is dead. This is when I could really appreciate an additional 2 hours of battery.

Today I see that Best Buy has the 13" on sale for only $30.00 more than the 11" ($1,099 13/4/128).... and I can still apply by education discount and save an additional $100.00. So basically, better battery life, and twice as much memory as my 11" inch... for the same price as a $999.99 macbook air 11".

That's a no brainer for me.
My last PC was almost 7lbs... and I carried that EVERYWHERE for 2 years. I think the 12 cell battery weighed as much as my 11". I'll be okay adding half a pound.

Jaro65
Aug 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Sure you can fit more content on the 13 inch screen but we are not talking about that. We are talking about the size of the GUI (text, icons etc).

Some people say that their eyes get strained and they need glasses etc. with the 11 inch but not with the 13 inch. I've read this in several threads and in my opinion it's a completely false statement.

It makes no sense because you will need glasses on both machines if you need glasses on one of them. Glasses won't let you fit more or less content on the screen. Facts are facts and you cannot change that with "personal experience".

Sorry, but what you're stating is also your subjective perspective, which is not factual. We need to recognize that there is difference between opinions and facts. If some feel they need glasses with MBA 11s, but not MBA 13s, so be it. Since your vision is different than anybody else's, why would you claim that what they are making are false statements?

mac jones
Aug 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
11 is much lighter than the 13. That's it.

The thread title states the obvious: I'd rather have a 13 that weighs 2.3 lb

Of course, then the 11 would still weigh much less right? :D

tim100
Aug 12, 2012, 07:05 PM
11 is much lighter than the 13. That's it.

The thread title states the obvious: I'd rather have a 13 that weighs 2.3 lb

Of course, then the 11 would still weigh much less right? :D

how many pick the 11 over the 13?

plucky duck
Aug 12, 2012, 07:35 PM
how many pick the 11 over the 13?

The weight is nice, but that's secondary to the actual footprint of the 11" Air. With the Sena folio case it does add a bit of bulk and weight, but I am not bothered by it at all.

Matt Leaf
Aug 13, 2012, 06:34 AM
Got my 11" today. Love it :D

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 14, 2012, 05:14 PM
The 11" is so cute! I used to call it the "baby Mac" :) I got the Ultimate one a couple of weeks ago. I haven't neglected my MBP though. I would never do that to it. I'm nice to my Macs and in return they're nice to me :D :apple: I never keep both of them in the same room though otherwise I might have little iPads running around :eek::p;)

Lightyears
Aug 24, 2012, 02:29 AM
Time to revive this old chestnut.

I'm offering my two cents in the hopes that it might help someone else make a decision. So I am day 1 into a 11" 2012 MBA i7 256GB. The most common objection to the 11" is that the screen is too small. So far I think it has been fine. The great thing about newer operating systems is that they come with the two finger zoom feature. So, you can use two fingers on the trackpad to zoom into a document or web page--just like an iPhone or an iPad. Problem solved.

For someone like me who wanted a lightweight computer that I could carry around campus without hurting my back or shoulders ( I already own a first gen Macbook Pro 15"), this is great. I'm a student, so I can imagine taking this puppy anywhere and type notes, papers, or do excel spreadsheets.

If you mainly need a machine to write, surf the Internet, email, and do a spreadsheet here and there, this is great. As a second computer, it is perfect. I plan to continue using dropbox for my document saving needs and I'm not setting up my iTunes.

iamsen47
Aug 24, 2012, 08:45 AM
I went for the 11" because it's small and light, which I think is the whole point of the Air.

I also usually carry my iPad along so if I need anymore screen space I'll just use Air Display. Otherwise, the total weight of the 11", the iPad, a notebook and a book is just enough for my weak back.

And they aren't that different in size anyway.

I mean, seriously, this is all you lose horizontally. 74 bloody pixels.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8301/7850819074_613cbc6814_t.jpg

And this vertically.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8284/7850818976_9628f2bc7b_m.jpg

I don't even bother to connect an external monitor at home unless I'm watching movies or something.

Blackberryroid
Aug 25, 2012, 10:07 AM

You should have stayed with it long enough. You would have adapted to it. Like me, from a 17 Inch computer.

NutsNGum
Aug 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
You should have stayed with it long enough. You would have adapted to it. Like me, from a 17 Inch computer.

Same here, gone from a 2011 17" Antiglare MBP -> 2012 8GB RAM 11" Air. It's insanely convenient. Just the best machine I've ever used.

LeeM
Aug 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
i have a 13" pro and i still lust after an 11" air! tempted to sell my ipad and replace it with a refurb base 11

plucky duck
Aug 25, 2012, 06:20 PM
They may be similar in physical sizes, but are different beasts. They compliment each other nicely, but one cannot replace the other imo.

peapody
Aug 26, 2012, 10:54 AM

Same here, gone from a 2011 17" Antiglare MBP -> 2012 8GB RAM 11" Air. It's insanely convenient. Just the best machine I've ever used.

Mmm. I did stay with it for a couple months, which I think is long enough for me to tell if it fits my needs. Doing work on it was impossible since I needed to compare spreadsheets with programming data. Gave it away for that reason and to me, the bezel is hideous.

Miat
Aug 26, 2012, 07:20 PM
I grabbed the 13", but there is certainly something sweet about the 11" form.

Ricanlegend
Aug 26, 2012, 07:38 PM
Mmm. I did stay with it for a couple months, which I think is long enough for me to tell if it fits my needs. Doing work on it was impossible since I needed to compare spreadsheets with programming data. Gave it away for that reason and to me, the bezel is hideous.

That's also my problem why soo much bezel ? If you take out all that bezel you could easily fit a 13 inch screen that would be amazing

plucky duck
Aug 26, 2012, 08:44 PM
That's also my problem why soo much bezel ? If you take out all that bezel you could easily fit a 13 inch screen that would be amazing

I hated the bezel at first, but in reality after you really start getting into it and using it, now it's not so much an issue. I'd love to see a 12.5" on the current form factor though, that along with 2hrs improved battery and I'm sold on the 2015 model :P Along with 768GB SSD of course ;)

Greggae512
Aug 27, 2012, 12:46 AM
I need lots of screen real estate & it does the job when docked 5/7 days a week.
11" MBA + 2 x 27" Samsung LCD's 1920x1080 + Retina Ipad = all sorts of win for my work productivity.:apple::D

Ricanlegend
Aug 27, 2012, 03:54 AM
I need lots of screen real estate & it does the job when docked 5/7 days a week.
11" MBA + 2 x 27" Samsung LCD's 1920x1080 + Retina Ipad = all sorts of win for my work productivity.:apple::D

I think you missing the magic mouse :)

robvas
Aug 27, 2012, 07:51 AM
13" owner, but I just bought another 11" Air (i5 this time) to replace the C2D Air I sold earlier this year.

waa1futs
Jan 28, 2013, 12:10 AM
I came from a 4 year old 10" asus netbook and so I really liked the more portable form factor of the 11" but the battery life was trash so I ended up going 13".

Need a minimum of 7 hours of battery life as a college student and wasn't going to wait another 6 months for Haswell since there was a sale at best buy for $200 off.

David58117
Jan 28, 2013, 05:08 AM
I went with the 11" air.

Battery life was a concern, but the fact is that a 13" will need to be plugged in as well - fretting over a gain of 2 hours vs losing the portability and form factor of the 11" just doesn't make sense to me. A small light weight charger and fast charge time is more important to me. Also, external batteries do exist, and last much longer than 2 hours.

Screen size hasn't been an issue, as it's something you adjust to. Besides, zooming in/being able to switch between full screen programs works very well.

MacLappy
Feb 17, 2013, 04:39 AM
For people still on the fence between 2 absolutely fantastic product, here's a good read, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 😃

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2013/02/15/apple-11-macbook-air-no-compromise/

designs216
Feb 17, 2013, 05:40 AM
If it works for you, why does it matter that others prefer the 13"?

peapody
Feb 17, 2013, 09:19 AM

Well circumstances changed since this last post! Thought it was kind of funny that this popped up on my feed and read my last response.

I ended up going back to a macbook air 11.. why? Not because I wanted to, but because I got one for an insanely good price. Put all my moshi gear all over it, and and it has been a great go to computer as I am all over the place at work. Sometimes I have to just find myself a spot and do some work quickly. I think the 13" would be a little less convenient in comparison in this regard. I do miss a bigger screen.