Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrstupid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
I searched a bit, and found a few threads however i didn't want to crash them so apologies for going over a possibly well answered topic. However within the next couple of days i am planning on getting an imac G5 (17" or possibly 20" depending on my student discount!) Anyway i am currently a pc user and in my pc i have a couple of sticks of Twin Mos PC3200 DDR ram. Rather than blow another £50 upgrading my memory to 512MB, will i be able to use this memory in the imac? Thanks

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
My G5 iMac has been real fussy about RAM (well most Macs are).

I'd recommend Crucial. I just had a problem stick from them and they overnighted a swap no questions asked.

It's the first bad stick in like 20 i have bought from them. they are a little more, but the customer service is awesome and the product works.

mrstupid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
yeah for peace of mind i might invest the extra £40 and buy a stick of 512mb from crucial. That would give me 700+ overall. Would that mac be fussy about having the standard mac memory with the crucial stick?

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
mrstupid said:
yeah for peace of mind i might invest the extra £40 and buy a stick of 512mb from crucial. That would give me 700+ overall. Would that mac be fussy about having the standard mac memory with the crucial stick?
Nope :)

Mac RAM isn't Mac RAM anyway. They use a variety of company's RAM.

Also, congrats on your iMac purchase decision! You're going to LOVE it. :D

mrstupid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
it was sort of an impulse buy. I have been using pc's for years but i just thought it will be nice to have a change. My only other problem is whether to get the 17" or 20". There is a £200 price difference. Oh and i am also not sure whether to get apple care...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
The 512 stick I swapped out with the installed 256 it came with was exactly the same brand (Samsung) and memory module.

No worries.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
mrstupid said:
it was sort of an impulse buy. I have been using pc's for years but i just thought it will be nice to have a change. My only other problem is whether to get the 17" or 20". There is a £200 price difference. Oh and i am also not sure whether to get apple care...
Everyone is different, and all computer owners have had different experiences, or "luck" if you'll call it that. I am personally "in the black" with my AC purchases vs. repair costs I would've paid without AC.

I purchased AC at a cost of, I believe, $139 for my iMac G3/600. Slightly into the extended warranty coverage, I had a really bad GPU/screen problem which, to fix, required a complete replacement of the logic board. The repair tech told me it would've cost me $600 out of pocket without AC.

I purchased AC on my eMac 1GHz and had a hard drive problem/scare that ended up not needing to be fixed, but would've cost about $200 to fix with labor.

So far, AppleCare has served me well and I'll continue to get it because it has: (1) been a good financial investment for me so far and (2) given me peace of mind. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.