Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
So a friend told me there was a gathering in Boston Common a few miles away. I didn't leave my house until almost 2AM so I was a bit late but I stuck around until the police got the crowd to disperse. I only had my on camera flash and there is NO LIGHT there so I did what I could.

5679204592_e660774514_o.jpg

5679204502_20fee979d0_o.jpg

5678644433_41e7d168b7_o.jpg

5679204250_de7017a00d_o.jpg

5678644251_fee5b67166_o.jpg

5679204064_a89f9927c9_o.jpg

5678644013_cd91cf0594_o.jpg

5679203824_6ce86a4de3_o.jpg

5679203680_4ffcf1470f_o.jpg

5679203474_2c8f1b9e3c_o.jpg

5679203054_462d281f21_o.jpg

5678643707_818b505fd3_o.jpg

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
People, this forum, Digital Photography, should be directed at that particular topic. If someone wants to comment on the qualities of the photos posted by the OP then do so. There is a Community forum here on this site that seems to be the more appropriate place for debating the merits or faults in the take down of this particular human being. Let's remember to keep it civil boys and girls.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
It was civil. It was also obvious that nobody wanted to discuss it either.

Surely my previous comment, was a comment on the quality of photography presented?

But if I must, in order to fit within the rules of what is an acceptable critical response: The photos are poorly composed, lots of red eye and bad use of flash resulting from using a compact camera. Try using an SLR with a low light lens, 24mm, getting closer to your subject. Go out and try again with another event involving people.

Last edited by a moderator:

gameface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
It was civil. It was also obvious that nobody wanted to discuss it either.

Surely my previous comment, was a comment on the quality of photography presented?

But if I must, in order to fit within the rules of what is an acceptable critical response: The photos are poorly composed, lots of red eye and bad use of flash resulting from using a compact camera. Try using an SLR with a low light lens, 24mm, getting closer to your subject. Go out and try again with another event involving people.

You think a point and shoot is going to give you that bokeh? I want one!!!

I used a 7D with a 70-200 f/2.8L. If you took the time to look at the exif you would have seen that. Problem was, it was almost pitch black, the only lens I had with me and only on camera flash. I wasn't going for art, I was just quickly documenting what happened as I had all of 10 minutes to get some shots before the cops made everyone disperse (hence the title of the thread, I got there late). If I gave a **** I would have done photoshop work to fix the pictures but I don't. I'm a professional editor and quite handy with PS but quite frankly didn't feel the need. I'm not claiming to be a photojournalist. I just wanted to share that people were gathering.

I also could have turned red eye reduction on and used flash compensation, but again, I was in a hurry and didn't care.

Photography isn't always about art. Look at some of my other shots in this forum and you will see I actually know what I am doing.

And PS... the MLK quote wasn't correct. You came in here for a political debate the first time and that was it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Some photos should be color corrected.

LOL at the person who uses a MBP as a sign.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The pictures are nicely composed but you do need to remove the red eye. I think that will increase the quality of the pictures greatly.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
You think a point and shoot is going to give you that bokeh? I want one!!!

I used a 7D with a 70-200 f/2.8L. If you took the time to look at the exif you would have seen that. Problem was, it was almost pitch black, the only lens I had with me and only on camera flash. I wasn't going for art, I was just quickly documenting what happened as I had all of 10 minutes to get some shots before the cops made everyone disperse (hence the title of the thread, I got there late). If I gave a **** I would have done photoshop work to fix the pictures but I don't. I'm a professional editor and quite handy with PS but quite frankly didn't feel the need. I'm not claiming to be a photojournalist. I just wanted to share that people were gathering.

I also could have turned red eye reduction on and used flash compensation, but again, I was in a hurry and didn't care.

Photography isn't always about art. Look at some of my other shots in this forum and you will see I actually know what I am doing.

And PS... the MLK quote wasn't correct. You came in here for a political debate the first time and that was it.

Jeez a bit defensive......

Anyways, the fact of the matter is this: These do NOT look like a 7D was involved, much less a 70-200 f/2.8.

If I had glanced at the photos and not read the thread I would have put money on these being taken with a P+S.

And as for the whole:
If I gave a **** I would have done photoshop work to fix the pictures but I don't. I'm a professional editor and quite handy with PS but quite frankly didn't feel the need.
, If you really didn't care, why bother sharing photos in the Photography first place?

AFAIK any photos posted in here are fair game for critique.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
bunch of retards to celebrate the death of someone.

how does this look from a muslim's perspective. it no different than we see "evil" muslims celebrating on the streets while dragging dead american soldiers.

this nonsense has to stop

gameface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Jeez a bit defensive......

Anyways, the fact of the matter is this: These do NOT look like a 7D was involved, much less a 70-200 f/2.8.

If I had glanced at the photos and not read the thread I would have put money on these being taken with a P+S.

And as for the whole: , If you really didn't care, why bother sharing photos in the Photography first place?

AFAIK any photos posted in here are fair game for critique.

People usually ask for critique. Reason I showed them was it was a big deal that night and figured maybe someone would want to see what others did when they heard the news. Sorry you all have a pole up your ass and have to be pricks.

Don't worry, no need to be bothered with them anymore.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I'm a professional editor and quite handy with PS but quite frankly didn't feel the need.

As a professional of the visual arts you should know that publicly showing subpar work only reflects poorly on your behalf because people see it and associate it with your abilities, whether it's justified or not. If you didn't care to fix them up, why did you care to share them? If they were only for documentary value, perhaps another forum (like PRSI) would have been more appropriate.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
As a professional of the visual arts you should know that publicly showing subpar work only reflects poorly on your behalf because people see it and associate it with your abilities, whether it's justified or not. If you didn't care to fix them up, why did you care to share them? If they were only for documentary value, perhaps another forum (like PRSI) would have been more appropriate.

I would never post a non color corrected video up as that is my trade. I would never leave a bad loop in the audio of the cut nor never leave anything non-onlined if I was displaying it to the public. But, photography I do for fun and that was "hey grab my camera and see if I can see what all the hubub is about". Sorry if they weren't to anyone's liking. I have removed them since it has cause nothing but arguments and have asked the mods twice now to remove the thread for the sake of civility.

And honestly, this is a place to throw photos which is what I did. I didn't want to start a political debate. I believe I used the correct forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.