PDA

View Full Version : Preferred distribution of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Damian.
May 4, 2011, 04:10 PM
Following the news about Apple planning to utilize the Mac App Store as the "preferred" mechanism for distribution of Mac OS X Lion (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147672):

How would you prefer to get a copy of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?

I would prefer the USB drive.

DeaconGraves
May 4, 2011, 04:17 PM
As someone who doesn't yet have a MacBook Air, I'd prefer a DVD.

I'm glad that Apple is moving towards digital distribution, but I like having a physical copy. And I'd be worried that I'd misplace the USB drive (like I have all the others I've bought. :p )

talmy
May 4, 2011, 04:24 PM
After having installed the Lion preview, which was done via the App Store, I'm all for it. It comes as a disk image (DMG). I don't know if it can burned and booted, but it can certainly be saved offline. While the preview is a one-time-only download, presumably the purchased version could be downloaded repeatedly as necessary, like other App Store purchases.

Daveoc64
May 4, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'd like a downloadable version that allows me to burn a DVD myself.

dethmaShine
May 4, 2011, 04:36 PM
To be honest, I'll take an AppStore download anyday over USB/DVD.

Even I have to re-download the OS, I can spend an hour and do so. I don't want the pain of installing it through a CD or a DVD.

BUT:
I don't want an AppStore Download to EVER be the only method of distribution. A USB option will be honored anyway.

ufkdo
May 4, 2011, 04:59 PM
I prefer MAS because I will be able to buy in in the launch date with this way. Also, I will not have to pay distributor fees to Turkish distributor.

superstrikertwo
May 4, 2011, 05:07 PM
DVD and/or USB it's much much faster.

Jonny1989
May 4, 2011, 05:21 PM
I would use the App Store but for the few who have slow connections i suppose other means would be better.

thank you lord for my 50mb download

rmbrown09
May 4, 2011, 05:24 PM
I would prefer Jordi hand me it.

http://macromeme.com/cat/star-trek-jay-z.jpg

markrox7
May 4, 2011, 07:06 PM
Definitely USB or CD. It's quicker (my internet's not the fastest out there…) and I always enjoy going to the Apple Store to play around with the iPad or see the new iMacs… :D

PlaceofDis
May 4, 2011, 07:11 PM
i'd like a USB drive or download. even better would be both. i want a physical copy for when it is needed or for in the future 'what if' situation.

xxBURT0Nxx
May 4, 2011, 09:13 PM
Doesn't really matter to me.... after it's downloaded i'd assume someone could burn the OS to optical media or throw it on a thumb drive should they ever need to reinstall and don't have internet access... then again it would be a pretty rare occasion to need to do a complete reformat in the middle of the desert...

I'll go with whatever option ends up being the cheapest

hellomoto4
May 5, 2011, 06:23 AM
A 30 minute download compared to a 3 day delivery wait. Mac App store please.

roadbloc
May 5, 2011, 06:32 AM
USB or DVD for me please.

bushido
May 5, 2011, 07:48 AM
dvd, i always break usb sticks or make them unreadable O.o and i don't need a ddl, half the ppl i know either still have really slow internet or don't know how to install sth without a cd simply asking u what to do next

bier-meister
May 5, 2011, 07:55 AM
App store would be the quickest and probably also the best method as you would always have the most up to date version of the OS with the latest security updates and bug fixes any time you need to install a fresh copy.

maflynn
May 5, 2011, 08:07 AM
I'd probably prefer the USB but the optical drive would be a close second. I'd rather not have to deal with downloading it and burning a DVD drive (or find a large enough thumb drive)

maflynn
May 5, 2011, 08:16 AM
App store would be the quickest and probably also the best method as you would always have the most up to date version of the OS with the latest security updates and bug fixes any time you need to install a fresh copy.

I'd not say that it would be the quickest. The pokey pace of downloading is the biggest bottleneck. Perhaps its not fare to compare apple with fedora (or ubuntu) but when they update their OS, its takes forever for me to download. I usually try to do this at work as my companies internet connection is much faster but it takes hours nonetheless.

MRiOS
May 5, 2011, 08:56 AM
App store release is nice, but I much prefer physical media. That being said, I would prefer Lion to come loaded on USB keys rather than optical media. USB offers a much faster install for both upgrades and full installs than optical discs.

bier-meister
May 5, 2011, 09:01 AM
I'd not say that it would be the quickest. The pokey pace of downloading is the biggest bottleneck. Perhaps its not fare to compare apple with fedora (or ubuntu) but when they update their OS, its takes forever for me to download. I usually try to do this at work as my companies internet connection is much faster but it takes hours nonetheless.

I meant quick in comparison to ordering it online and waiting for delivery or having to go the local store, queuing and returning home. At least with a decent connection you can start the download, and then cook a meal, take a shower, go to work, sleep, etc

I can't imagine it would be much bigger than the xcode download and that doesn't take so long, I think just over an hour for me.

xxBURT0Nxx
May 5, 2011, 09:08 AM

well if you account for the entire process of updating the OS, yes it probably is the quickest. If I need a CD, that requires going to the store, finding the product, waiting in line, driving home, then installing it; or waiting for it to be shipped to you. A disc or thumb drive won't magically appear at your house come upgrade time!

If its a download I could start it, go about my buisness doing whatever else I felt like until the download is complete then upgrade...

And in the future if I didn't want to wait for it to download again I could always throw it on a cheap 8gb thumb drive or a dual layer DVD. Then again if you do redownload it every time it would already come with all of the security patches and such and you wouldn't have to worry about downloading anything else after you're done with the install.

-edit-
beat me to it haha...

but yeah for those saying they prefer physical media, you know you could burn it to a dvd or copy it to a thumb drive once you have downloaded it right?

Applepi
May 5, 2011, 09:36 AM
Since I have an Air, app store download would be fine but USB would be most preferable.

zorinlynx
May 5, 2011, 09:45 AM
My main hope is that the App Store distributed version has a provision to do a bare-metal install.

Bare-metal installs are a part of life. If the system goes tits up and the hard drive is dead you need a way to reinstall the OS.

For corporate/school environments, it seems the best way will be to just get the traditional install media.

baryon
May 5, 2011, 09:46 AM
What if you want to restore your computer from Time Machine? Normally you would boot from the OS install disk, plug in your Time Machine disk, and it would restore your computer exactly the way it was at a given point. How would you do that with an App Store download, since you can't boot from it, thus you can't erase your system and restore it should you need to?

petvas
May 5, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'd like a downloadable version that allows me to burn a DVD myself.

Exactly. This option should aldo be included in the poll.

xxBURT0Nxx
May 5, 2011, 09:48 AM
What if you want to restore your computer from Time Machine? Normally you would boot from the OS install disk, plug in your Time Machine disk, and it would restore your computer exactly the way it was at a given point. How would you do that with an App Store download, since you can't boot from it, thus you can't erase your system and restore it should you need to?

I'm sure apple will add some type of utility into time machine for those who don't have a disc to boot from... don't worry they aren't going to abandon time machine because of the mac app store.

petvas
May 5, 2011, 09:51 AM

There are a couple of scenarios that cannot be done without a bootable media. I think Apple should offer the option to download from the AppStore and if the user wants also send the DVD. Apple should then charge a bit extra for the DVD.
The Lion installer should also give users the option to create a bootable USB and DVD for recovery purposes. Add to that the new recovery partition that Lion now creates and we are set.

talmy
May 5, 2011, 10:44 AM
The Lion installer should also give users the option to create a bootable USB and DVD for recovery purposes.

This might already be possible. The Lion Preview is a .dmg file. I don't know if burning a disk of it will create a bootable DVD, but perhaps it would work, or at least could work with the general release.

baryon
May 5, 2011, 11:54 AM
There are a couple of scenarios that cannot be done without a bootable media. I think Apple should offer the option to download from the AppStore and if the user wants also send the DVD. Apple should then charge a bit extra for the DVD.
The Lion installer should also give users the option to create a bootable USB and DVD for recovery purposes. Add to that the new recovery partition that Lion now creates and we are set.

Is the new recovery partition able to do all the things the current Snow Leopard disk can do? Such as enter Disk Utility and partition/format drives and all that, and restore from Time Machine? If it does, then that's basically the answer. You install Lion from the file you downloaded from the App Store, and then it creates a separate bootable partition which acts as a recovery disk, which is awesome as you'll always have it with you and you don't need a disk drive at all.

Actually all I use my disk drive for is burning DVDs and CDs for my university assignments a few times a year. The only reason I can't live without a disk drive is installing the operating system.

The App Store is actually quite cool, as you can never lose your apps! Your ownership is stored on Apple's server, and you can always get your stuff back whenever you want... I'm pretty sure this is the future!

Damian.
May 7, 2011, 04:34 AM
More people prefer the USB drive so far :)

roadbloc
May 7, 2011, 04:40 AM
This might already be possible. The Lion Preview is a .dmg file. I don't know if burning a disk of it will create a bootable DVD, but perhaps it would work, or at least could work with the general release.

It does work.

AdrianK
May 7, 2011, 05:21 AM
An entire single layer DVD would take 49 minutes to download on my connection, so definitely download. Besides, I always lose disks, which is why I have copies of the OS X DVDs on an external drive.

rorschach
May 7, 2011, 10:52 AM
App Store for sure...much faster.

bushido
May 7, 2011, 11:28 AM

wow this will make pirating the final OS even easier if thats the case. apple isn't really "good" at securing their OS from pirating as it is

Lord Appleseed
May 7, 2011, 11:57 AM
I would take a download too, no problem. Then I'd buy a big enough USB and save it down there to keep it backed up with the rest of the Mac-CDs and Booklets.

Mal
May 7, 2011, 12:05 PM
wow this will make pirating the final OS even easier if thats the case. apple isn't really "good" at securing their OS from pirating as it is

Apple has always shown that they are more concerned with a good user experience than preventing piracy. Minimal, non-intrusive checks at most, even on the OEM install disks. This doesn't really change that in any significant way.

jW

Drewbie
May 8, 2011, 11:33 AM
i would like to see a usb drive that pulls away from the computer much like the sim card is removed from an iphone 3g/3gs

just push a little pin in there and walla, out comes your install dvd that can plug into a usb port....

minimalistic design but not hard to lose...

FroMann
May 8, 2011, 12:46 PM
DVD, a flash drive has the possible chance of crashing and probably costs more to manufacture.

chrismacguy
May 8, 2011, 12:50 PM
Personally I want USB and DVD in a single box - I dont want it on the App Store - then I can use the USB on my MacBook Air and the DVD on my Mac Pro, and install it at the same time - and then again on the rest of my Lion capable Macs (Being able to double up installs would save me so much time).