Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AvengerZero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
i purchased my 2010 MBA one and a half months ago and I love it. It's my first mac ever and my first primary machine since nearly a year (before I had a MSI Wind for everyday use and university). This incredible machine just handles everything I throw about, LaTex-processing, Matlab and Mathematica, Office in parallels coherence mode, medium gimp and photoshop work, webbrowsing, iTunes,... :D Everytime I use the windows notebook of my girlfriend I go nuts because of the crappy touchpad without multitouch :D
And I want to say thank you to this great community, before my purchase I read hours over hours in this forum. :apple:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Glad you're enjoying it. Thinking of getting one of these for my girlfriend to replace her 2008 13" aluminum macbook... she probably does 1/4 of the things you throw at yours lol.

AvengerZero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
Welcome to the club!

Which one do you have, the 13" ultimate?

no, base 1.86GHz with 4GB. The only difficult thing for me is the different keyboard sheme, @, \, {, }....
Escpecially the Backslash combination is hard for me, cause I often use it in LaTex, but time will tell me all special Mac characters. :)

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
no, base 1.86GHz with 4GB. The only difficult thing for me is the different keyboard sheme, @, \, {, }....
Escpecially the Backslash combination is hard for me, cause I often use it in LaTex, but time will tell me all special Mac characters. :)

I have the same MBA as you, but I'm wondering what you mean about the different keyboard on the MBA? The keyboard scheme on the MBA is the same as the keyboard scheme on the keyboard I used on my PC before I got my MBA.

AvengerZero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
okay, I expressed it wrong. My Wind clone had a blue FN-key and all possible characters were printed on the keys. My MBA has no print for the Backslash-key, I simply have to memorize all of them,

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
The MBA is one amazing computer, I really think Apple is amazed at it's numbers, it was most probably conjecture on my part, but they have to be impressed with the sales numbers on the 11" as well as the 13".
I have Two refurb 11" MBA's formally with 64 GB of RAM, now with an OWC 360 GB each, it is 28% faster than stock, and once we obtain 2 refub ACD's
These will be our main machines.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
okay, I expressed it wrong. My Wind clone had a blue FN-key and all possible characters were printed on the keys. My MBA has no print for the Backslash-key, I simply have to memorize all of them,

It's the same key as the slash, just hold down Shift+Alt instead of only Shift.

/, | and \ are on the 7 (Shift+7, Alt+7, Shift+Alt+7)
(, [ and { are on the 8
), ] and } are on the 9

$, € and ¢ are on the 4

chrizel

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2004
I have the same MBA as you, but I'm wondering what you mean about the different keyboard on the MBA? The keyboard scheme on the MBA is the same as the keyboard scheme on the keyboard I used on my PC before I got my MBA.

He is from Austria so I suspect he uses the German keyboard layout. The bad thing about the German Mac keyboard layout is, that it's different from the German PC keyboard layout...

About the MBA: I'm very interested in the MBA as well, but still not sure if I should wait for the Sandy Bridge refresh... the current Core2Duo MBAs seem to be very mature systems without any big problems... we will have to see if the Sandy Bridge MBAs can match that level.

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
i purchased my 2010 MBA one and a half months ago and I love it. It's my first mac ever and my first primary machine since nearly a year (before I had a MSI Wind for everyday use and university). This incredible machine just handles everything I throw about, LaTex-processing, Matlab and Mathematica, Office in parallels coherence mode, medium gimp and photoshop work, webbrowsing, iTunes,... :D Everytime I use the windows notebook of my girlfriend I go nuts because of the crappy touchpad without multitouch :D
And I want to say thank you to this great community, before my purchase I read hours over hours in this forum. :apple:

Whats your memory 2Gb's or 4 Gb's and what size SSD

AvengerZero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
@ chrizel: yes, the german layout is my problem. I had the same concerns about the C2D vs. SB thing. But I don't wanted to live any longer with my Atom Netbook. In December I had a robot-course at my university, just one thing...don't try ROS (the robot simulations software from willow garage) on a ten inch netbook with crappy processor and resolution. :D A new SB processor in future MBAs doesn't mean that my current C2D-MBA becomes slower :) As I mentioned before, my most intensive tasks are medium photoshop and gimp working. For university (calculating, coding, writing, simulating,...) the Air has more than enough processing power.
Oh and Torchlight works like a charm at native resolution and all settings on high. I know, Torchlight is not Crysis, but the 320m is a really nice chip. One week ago I even played Warcraft II in DosBox in Windows 7 in coherence mode via parallels in MacOS. :p I only hope Diablo 3 will run on my MBA :confused:

@ mayhone1: I've got 4GB and 128GB SSD, the 4GB were a nobrainer for me, cause I do a lot stuff over parallels/windows7 (most of the software I need for my master only supports windows).

As I am a fan of the old Apple-logo I wanted to give my Air a little touch of colour, so I ordered a retro-decal over ebay. I :apple: it...

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Very cool. Torn myself right now between an air and a MBP. The one issue for me is storage space. Do you have any problems fitting all of your stuff on 128 Gb and if so, how did you get around them?

Poisoned1

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Wow, I really like what you did with the retro sticker on the apple logo. I just received my 11" ultimate last week and so far I really like it. It is my first mac as well. I love how it looks and its weight. The multi-touch track pad is amazing too. I still have my old laptop and went online with it and actually tried using the gestures lol.

AvengerZero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
@ macbwizard: i've got a 15GB virtual partition for parallels, 33GB of music in iTunes, about three to four GB photos in iPhoto, three to four GB stuff in my downloads and of course all my installed software. Finder shows 35GB free space. I don't collect videos or other big stuff, so I think the 128GB are just fine for me. If I ever run out of space I will buy a 32GB SDHC or a third party SSD from OWC (I hope that future SSD prices are more human than today :rolleyes:)

@Poisoned1: Yep, I also have a gestures problem on my girlfriends notebook lol. The new old apple logo looks even better when it glows in the dark :D

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
@ chrizel: yes, the german layout is my problem. I had the same concerns about the C2D vs. SB thing. But I don't wanted to live any longer with my Atom Netbook. In December I had a robot-course at my university, just one thing...don't try ROS (the robot simulations software from willow garage) on a ten inch netbook with crappy processor and resolution. :D A new SB processor in future MBAs doesn't mean that my current C2D-MBA becomes slower :) As I mentioned before, my most intensive tasks are medium photoshop and gimp working. For university (calculating, coding, writing, simulating,...) the Air has more than enough processing power.
Oh and Torchlight works like a charm at native resolution and all settings on high. I know, Torchlight is not Crysis, but the 320m is a really nice chip. One week ago I even played Warcraft II in DosBox in Windows 7 in coherence mode via parallels in MacOS. :p I only hope Diablo 3 will run on my MBA :confused:

@ mayhone1: I've got 4GB and 128GB SSD, the 4GB were a nobrainer for me, cause I do a lot stuff over parallels/windows7 (most of the software I need for my master only supports windows).

As I am a fan of the old Apple-logo I wanted to give my Air a little touch of colour, so I ordered a retro-decal over ebay. I :apple: it...

[url=http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5831/23027921178100551254410.jpg]Image[/URL]

Oh. Yeah, I was confused because I thought you had the U.S. English keyboard (or whatever it is) like I did which has all of the same characters and stuff on the keyboard in the exact same spot as the keyboard on my PC.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
He is from Austria so I suspect he uses the German keyboard layout. The bad thing about the German Mac keyboard layout is, that it's different from the German PC keyboard layout...

About the MBA: I'm very interested in the MBA as well, but still not sure if I should wait for the Sandy Bridge refresh... the current Core2Duo MBAs seem to be very mature systems without any big problems... we will have to see if the Sandy Bridge MBAs can match that level.

As is the same with most countries... The UK Mac keyboard is different from the UK PC keyboard - it is more an American layout...

Odd...

Chazn

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
I'm so in love with it i take it to sleep with me resting it by my side.:rolleyes:
13inch Macbook air 128 SSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.