PDA

View Full Version : The Great Omniscient Macrumor Board Members

TenderBranson
Mar 12, 2005, 03:44 PM
...and we were so right (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500)

This is too funny.

iGary
Mar 12, 2005, 03:48 PM
LOL!!

"Another freaking Jukebox"

:D

jackieonasses
Mar 12, 2005, 03:50 PM
We have opened up many threads about that.

I wasn't a member then, but i can attest that most of them were not old...

I don't think we will be like that now.

kyle

Blue Velvet
Mar 12, 2005, 03:54 PM
There are still a few posters who can immediately see the potential of the iPod. Also interesting to note how many nay-sayers aren't still regular posters...

Lacero
Mar 12, 2005, 03:55 PM
iPod. Lame. with that said, I own 3. :D

Mitthrawnuruodo
Mar 12, 2005, 03:56 PM
Fantastic reading...!!! :D

Many guests (I guess this was before registration was required), but you gotta love this one:

This iPod is for spoil rich kids with insane parents or an Apple fan as fannatic as a Taliban. It has good features but forget about getting it for $399!!!! Never, who gets that thing is a very stupid person.

Steve Jobs is under terrible consuling or is under too much pot. This propusal is not realistic at all. If Apple does something like this again is going down.

This unit may work for an audio engeneer to record some conference or rock band on the field in place of buying a expensive DAT machine, that is the only real good market this machinne is gonna have.

TenderBranson
We have opened up many threads about that.

I wasn't a member then, but i can attest that most of them were not old...

I don't think we will be like that now.

kyle

People on this board bashed the mini when it came out...saying it wouldn't sell.

Someone even started a petition to inform apple that consumers weren't stupid enough to NOT pay $50 for 15 more gigs. Everyone here thought it would fail.

We all know what happened.

Think back a few months ago. Remember how many people thought the shuffle would crash and burn? We've made little improvement in "predicting" success since the debut of the original ipod

jackieonasses
There are still a few posters who can immediately see the potential of the iPod. Also interesting to note how many nay-sayers aren't still regular posters... Yes i know, Plenty of people still complain because Apple focuses so much on iPod. I think it is the gateway to marketshare -and more importantly- Better products in the long run.

kyle

jackieonasses
Mar 12, 2005, 03:59 PM
People on this board bashed the mini when it came out...saying it wouldn't sell.

Someone even started a petition to inform apple that consumers weren't stupid enough to NOT pay $50 for 15 more gigs. Everyone here thought it would fail.

We all know what happened.

Think back a few months ago. Remember how many people thought the shuffle would crash and burn? We've made little improvement in "predicting" success since the debut of the original ipod Maybe i am a Mac-fanboy - But when you said that people thought the mini wouldn't sell is a generalization. Heck - that is the bridge that the iPod has allowed (by revenue) all i am saying is, Take only some people's advice. Because most of the people who think those things would fail, were newbs...

kyle

runninmac
Mar 12, 2005, 05:39 PM
"I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.

Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?"

It seems like a alot of people wanted a PDA... But really that funny to think that people thought that it was a bad idea. I wasnt informed of the "electrical world" back then man i wish i would have been.

feakbeak
Mar 12, 2005, 06:12 PM
Fun thread to read though. This is my favorite post from it.

All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off.Then again it's so easy to laugh at these posts with 20/20 hind-sight. Look what happened to the Newton and the Cube.

As for PDAs, I think they will eventually be phased out. People will go with ultra-portable laptops or just use mobile phones that are picking up more and more functionality. I believe this trend will only continue. Eventually, I think most people will just have a mobile phone that has an address book, take/show photos and movies, play MP3s, GPS functionality and probably even view Word/Excel docs. That is what 90% of PDA owners use them for anyway - businesses still have some custom applications for PDAs, but for consumer use I see them going the way of the dinosaur.

Applespider
Mar 12, 2005, 06:30 PM
I had a smartphone that did all those things. I don't use it anymore since I traded it in for a smaller model that was easier just to phone and text with. It can still take pictures, play games, listen to music and has an FM radio but I don't use any of that functionality often (ever in music/radio's case).

What I wanted my smart phone for was so I could get online more easily. WAP just doesn't cut it. Nor did the smart phone - its screen (PDA size) was still too small for browsing and GPRS was too slow/expensive.

What I'd really like is a handheld that's about 8 inches, has wifi so I can go online easily with the same provider as I have roaming access with, stores some pictures and I can read eBooks on easily. I'd also like an iBooks store so I can easily buy, read, store books. I could get a newer PDA but I haven't seen one that met my features/budget yet.

I'm not so sure PDAs are the dinosaur we think they are - phones may not be the answer they seem.

virividox
Mar 12, 2005, 06:32 PM
thats brilliant!!! couldnt stop laughing with so many dissing the ipod...yet how many ppl own one today!!!

i wasnt a member yet then, but i remember when my uncle who worked for apply got his ipod!!! it was sweet

Apple Hobo
Mar 12, 2005, 06:41 PM
What can you say? There's a reason why Jobs is a freakin' billionaire and is at the helm of Apple, while the know-it-all kids are at home with their toys. :p

Daveway
Mar 12, 2005, 06:46 PM
This isn't revoltionary!

I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!

Oh.. How wrong he was. :eek:

Hoef
Mar 12, 2005, 07:01 PM
hahaha and the rest is history

Eastend
Mar 12, 2005, 07:19 PM
Great story, there are always negatives, like somebody said somewhere, if Apple came out with a G7 with 10 processors running at 10 GHz at a price of fifty dollars, somebody would complain because it did not make coffee or something. Own the 60 GB and the shuffle.

Brian

Koodauw
Mar 12, 2005, 08:35 PM
The 12''/17'' PB thread is another good read if you can find it.