PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Safari Better Than FireFox?

GodBless
Mar 13, 2005, 03:58 AM
I was just wondering since I use Safari (because I don't like Firefox's features as much) what you guys thought of the pros and cons of Firefox and Safari.

I like Safari because it has more keyboard shortcuts than Firefox (such as a keyboard shortcut option to switch from tab to tab). Lots of keyboard shortcuts are what really make browsers a lot faster. I also like Safari because it has built-in spell checking unlike Firefox. Safari loads pages faster than Firefox also.

Firefox is good because it has a customizable search bar unlike Safari. It also has a colorful toolbar, unlike Safari, but it has an ugly MicroSlop Windoze interface.

Overall I like both browsers, but I use Safari because of speed. I think that speed is the most important thing about internet browsing.

What do you guys think?

dubbz
Mar 13, 2005, 04:09 AM
Firefox Keyboard shortcuts (http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard)

Darwin
Mar 13, 2005, 04:14 AM
I use both however thats because Firefox is running on the PC, which allows me to have a Safari like experience on the PC (Having tabs, faster etc)

I'm quite happy with Safari on the Mac, sure it may have its faults as people might say but for me its a good browser :)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Mar 13, 2005, 04:20 AM
No, Firefox is still better... (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1145694#post1145694)

mad jew
Mar 13, 2005, 04:46 AM
I reckon Safari looks heaps better, it's integrated with the OS more comprehensively and it covers all my needs really well. If you're really interested in the different browsers available in OSX, search the forums because there are quite a few threads with some interesting things to say on a countless number of alternatives.

If Safari didn't exist, I'd probably use Camino which comes across as a smaller (less bloated) and better looking FireFox. It's by the same crew I think. :)

iindigo
Mar 13, 2005, 05:40 AM
On the Mac, I ike Safari better... It actually feels like a real Mac app, and doesn't use the crappy "fake" toolbar like Firefox does - I agree, Firefox still has a bloated/Windows-esque feeling to it. I avoid it if possible - The only reason I ever use it for is website testing.

Don't get me wrong - Firefox is a great browser, but it's a heckuva lot better on Windows.

Whenever I need Mozilla on OS X, I always use Camino. It's a "real" Mac app, using Cocoa and real toolbars. The latest nightly builds have become faster than Firefox on Macs, too.

Fredstar
Mar 13, 2005, 05:58 AM
I use firefox because on my network it renders slightly faster, has better short cuts and has a nicer GUI/
On my 20" imac the Safari tabs are too small, pressing command and T for each tab is annoying and i just don't think the brushed metal look is good for a browser. I would love to see more of the new Mail GUI, with kinda fun looking GUI.

dcentity2000
Mar 13, 2005, 06:02 AM
Safari feels like it chews up less on the system resources front - it also feels more "Apple" to me.

Firefox is useful for when Safari can't handle a particular webpage.

Rich::

edesignuk
Mar 13, 2005, 06:07 AM
One word: Extensions.

There for, Firefox wins...that and Firefox is faster for me :D

kettle
Mar 13, 2005, 06:09 AM
I like Safari because I can use cocoa gestures with it.

iindigo
Mar 13, 2005, 08:18 AM
One word: Extensions.

There for, Firefox wins...that and Firefox is faster for me :D

Doesn't the icky-feeling GUI and toolbar bug you?

maya
Mar 13, 2005, 08:22 AM
In accords to preference, I say YES to Safari. :)

edesignuk
Mar 13, 2005, 08:31 AM
Doesn't the icky-feeling GUI and toolbar bug you?
I don't find any of FF "icky" in the slightest.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Mar 13, 2005, 08:49 AM
Doesn't the icky-feeling GUI and toolbar bug you?I don't see that big difference between Firefox and, lets say, Mail:

mkrishnan
Mar 13, 2005, 09:13 AM
I don't find FF icky on MacOS either, although if you really do, there's always Safarish. :) Which I gave up for pizzach's theme. :cool:

Tom Morello
Mar 13, 2005, 09:24 AM
I think Safari's better than Firefox.

Darwin
Mar 13, 2005, 09:26 AM
I guess its just a matter person taste

Of course Firefox has got a feature or two that Safari doesn't but I'm not bothered

iindigo
Mar 13, 2005, 09:29 AM
I don't see that big difference between Firefox and, lets say, Mail:

It's not the look that bugs me - The toolbar buttons seem to "stick" longer than real toolbar buttons. I also hate how it brings the customization sheet up in a separate window.

And I know, Firefox has extensions yadda yadda, however Safari nowadays has equivelants for a lot of FF plugins; take for example, PithHelmet, which blocks ads in Safari - even Google text ads.

Camino is maturing into a nice little browser as well, with latest builds being blazing fast and featuring a pop-up blocker exception list (like firefox).

I just don't see the hype around FF for Mac. I like it as a Linux/BeOS/Windows browser, but it just doesn't fit my tight specifications for a good Mac app.

Artful Dodger
Mar 13, 2005, 09:59 AM
I was using Safari since it came out but as of late i've been using FireFox.
Safari became slow and has had some minor but frustrating "bugs" that I have reported so with that said it's FF for now.

rasp
Mar 13, 2005, 10:07 AM
For me it's firefox, extensions are great. And for those who haven't realized it's there type about:config into the url bar of firefox. The other thing I like about firefox is that it gets new features often.

All that being said, I'm really hoping that safari 2 will really be the improvment it should be.

mkrishnan
Mar 13, 2005, 10:29 AM
I also hate how it brings the customization sheet up in a separate window.

Just out of curiousity, what do you mean by this one? I'm not sure I've seen this. Are you talking about .css files, or the about:config page, or are you talking about how the preferences window doesn't have a normal bar at the top?

iindigo
Mar 13, 2005, 10:54 AM
Just out of curiousity, what do you mean by this one? I'm not sure I've seen this. Are you talking about .css files, or the about:config page, or are you talking about how the preferences window doesn't have a normal bar at the top?

No, I'm talking about the toolbar customization sheet - the one you get when you right-click a toolbar and click "Customize". In normal Mac OS X apps, this brings up a toobar customization sheet; Firefox breaks this Aqua guidline, however, and shows it in a separate window. Here's an example:

http://iindigo3d.com/toolbarmayhem.jpg

Also, in Firefox, contextual menu items are tool tall, and they don't even blink once unlike a normal OS X menu, which blinks twice.

mkrishnan
Mar 13, 2005, 11:05 AM
No, I'm talking about the toolbar customization sheet - the one you get when you right-click a toolbar and click "Customize". In normal Mac OS X apps, this brings up a toobar customization sheet; Firefox breaks this Aqua guidline, however, and shows it in a separate window. ....

Ahhh, I see what you mean now. Thanks for the enlightening. :)

eroda
Mar 13, 2005, 12:40 PM
well for started on x86 machines firefox has to be better as it has to compete with internet eplorer which it is doing nicely by the end of the year i beleive firefox will start being used in the workplace and only server machines will be using IE to download the updates simply because its got great features and is becoming supported by more and more websites

also to note that IE7 will be an extra feature in the new windows where you wil ahve to pay an extra fee to get it (meaning that have asperate update interface) meaning that microsoft will still be shipping windows next year with ie6 with its ultr aout of date features

but meh safari rocks ive used it a little and its got a nice sliky feel to it like a mac should have :D

mkrishnan
Mar 13, 2005, 12:48 PM
well for started on x86 machines firefox has to be better as it has to compete with internet eplorer which it is doing nicely...

Well, if you're going to go *there*, I don't think anyone in this thread will accuse FF/Mac of being less pleasant to use than IE6 on WinXP. :eek:

jeremy.king
Mar 13, 2005, 03:42 PM
YASIBT (Yet another Safari is Better Thread). ;)

Anyone else use Safarish theme with FF? Helps those who don't like FFs default theme.

CubaTBird
Mar 13, 2005, 04:31 PM
i use safari.. i support apples efforts

Apple Hobo
Mar 13, 2005, 04:42 PM
Here's what I like about Safari:

Better Mac "feel" than FF. (See pictures of buttons below.) I know there are plans to make FF more Mac-like in the future.

One word: PithHelmet (http://culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php). FF has ad-blocking add-ons, but PH is much more robust. The amount of ads on the Web is absolutely sickening, so I can't live without my PH.

Tabs have their own close button. FF has one close button for all tabs.

Fast, lightweight feel.

Maximize button works better. FF shrinks to half its width when I press it.

What I like about FF:

Very "tweakable" with the about:config page.

Easy installation of plug-ins and themes.

Access to source code, which allows developers to make G4/G5 optimized versions.

Fast, but does not "feel" as light as Safari, IMO.

Has the potential to get more people than ever to dump IE. :D

Savage Henry
Mar 13, 2005, 04:53 PM
i use safari.. i support apples efforts
Man, that is a seriously righteous sentiment, but it could at the very least equally be applied to Firefox.

[admittedly sat on the fence]
Mac-> Safari
Win->Firefox

plasticparadox
Mar 14, 2005, 08:00 AM
Here's what I like about Safari:

Better Mac "feel" than FF. (See pictures of buttons below.) I know there are plans to make FF more Mac-like in the future.

One word: PithHelmet (http://culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php). FF has ad-blocking add-ons, but PH is much more robust. The amount of ads on the Web is absolutely sickening, so I can't live without my PH.

Tabs have their own close button. FF has one close button for all tabs.

Fast, lightweight feel.

Maximize button works better. FF shrinks to half its width when I press it.

What I like about FF:

Very "tweakable" with the about:config page.

Easy installation of plug-ins and themes.

Access to source code, which allows developers to make G4/G5 optimized versions.

Fast, but does not "feel" as light as Safari, IMO.

Has the potential to get more people than ever to dump IE. :D

Agree 100%. I think most MacFirefox advocates who gloat about the Adblock extension are unaware of PithHelmet. And yeah, Safari's tabs rock.

tango472
Mar 14, 2005, 08:19 AM
i can't honestly see the BIG difference between the two.

have been using safari for sometime time now. am quite used it, tabbed interface, speed and slick look.

firefox, tried it, didn;t like it and felt it was quite similar to safari anyway. (search to top right, drop-down favourits, etc)

there was a bigger chance between IE to safari that from safari to firefox!

Mitthrawnuruodo
Mar 14, 2005, 08:23 AM
Better Mac "feel" than FF. (See pictures of buttons below.) I know there are plans to make FF more Mac-like in the future.I'll give you that one... ;)

One word: PithHelmet (http://culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php). FF has ad-blocking add-ons, but PH is much more robust. The amount of ads on the Web is absolutely sickening, so I can't live without my PH.Another word: Adblock.

And the latest fury among Safari users who suddenly has discovered pop-unders, has not affected Firefox to the same degree, so I guess the pop-up blocker in Firefox is a bit more robust...

Tabs have their own close button. FF has one close button for all tabs.This is actually better IMO...

Fast, lightweight feel.No real difference, if any it goes in Firefox' advantage...

Maximize button works better. FF shrinks to half its width when I press it.Not on my machine, the Maximize works flawlessly in Firefox....

Veldek
Mar 14, 2005, 08:24 AM
I tried FF twice and both times, it had a very bad influence on my Mac. After using this app, I always had to reboot to be able to work again, because e.g. when I opened new apps they always started in the background which annoyed me a lot.