Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DND82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Is there any way to change the how many characters Mail word wraps when sending email? It's default is 72, however when I try to paste a URL thats greater than 72 characters it ends up getting wrapped and screwed up in the process.

I'm using tinyurl.com at the moment, which helps, but I would prefer to just cut and paste.

Thanks in advance,

Dane

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DND82 said:
Is there any way to change the how many characters Mail word wraps when sending email? It's default is 72, however when I try to paste a URL thats greater than 72 characters it ends up getting wrapped and screwed up in the process.

I'm using tinyurl.com at the moment, which helps, but I would prefer to just cut and paste.

Thanks in advance,

Dane
This is a solved problem. You should enclose your long URL is brackets like so: <http://www.my-extremely-long-domain-name.com/which.my.mother.told.to.use.for.this.example.if.you.catch.my.drift.asp>.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DND82 said:
Sorry MisterMe, but that didn't work.

nice URL BTW. :D
What do you mean, it "didn't work"? The URL will still break, but it should still be recognized as a single continuous URL. Even if your URL breaks into five lines, if you enclose it in brackets as I indicated, it will take you to the proper location when you click on it.

DND82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
MisterMe said:
What do you mean, it "didn't work"? The URL will still break, but it should still be recognized as a single continuous URL. Even if your URL breaks into five lines, if you enclose it in brackets as I indicated, it will take you to the proper location when you click on it.

I emailed a friend a URL with brackets (<>), but it's doing the same the thing. My friend is using outlook express, would that be the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.