Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLaday

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/eldar-murtazin-microsoft-will-enter-negotiations-to-buy-nokias/

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-set-buy-nokia-rumor?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

http://wmpoweruser.com/eldar-microsoft-in-talks-to-buy-nokia/

From WMPoweruser.com

Our favourite Russian blogger is at it again, spilling more of Nokia’s secrets.
He claims that Microsoft and Nokia will soon commence talks on the sale of the mobile division of the company to Microsoft.
The company, which is valued to $30 billion, would be a massive pill even for Microsoft to swallow, but would still be less than the Yahoo merger which Microsoft narrowly averted and which was set to cost $40 billion in 2008.

Good news bad news? What do you guys think? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. As a WP7 user myself i love the platform and having Nokia onboard is great but MS buying them? Im not sure they would take this step

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Underperforming, visionless corporation buys underperforming, visionless corporation.

What this means for the future: Someone's gonna be out about 30 billion.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I doubt this is true. Nokia are not in any financial trouble. They're still making a killing from their, quite frankly, great products.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Why why why

They can have a Partnership and walk away when needed

They tried the google model and failed
Maybe they want the iPhone model

mack pro

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Underperforming, visionless corporation buys underperforming, visionless corporation.

What this means for the future: Someone's gonna be out about 30 billion.

Such a hatefull little man. What happend to you in highschool?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Now that the DoJ shackles are off, Microsoft may be doing something it had been planning on doing for quite some time.

But again, it makes no sense to buy Nokia outright when they could simply use Nokia as an OEM much like Apple uses Foxconn.

Personally, I say this isn't going to happen. But I also never would have figured MS would spend 8.5b for Skype.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
If this does happen...... WOW to say the least. This would be freaking huge in my box. MS jumps to the for front of the mobile phone industry.

Forefront of what? To be at the forefront you need to release quality products that people want to buy.

Nokia hasn't been at the forefront in years. If they were at the forefront of anything they wouldn't have admitted publicly to being idiots for the past four years and would not have had to partner with MS. And delusion of of all delusions, they at first stated that their only problem was poor execution! LOL

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Forefront of what? To be at the forefront you need to release quality products that people want to buy.

Nokia hasn't been at the forefront in years. If they were at the forefront of anything they wouldn't have admitted publicly to being idiots for the past four years and would not have had to partner with MS. And delusion of of all delusions, they at first stated that their only problem was poor execution! LOL

They would be in the forefront in just numbers alone. Never said anything about the supposed quality of the product. I didn't say market leader. This would be a big push for MS as they would now have a platform that is theirs and something they could build on. Not saying it is going to be good or bad.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I always liked Nokia's dumbphones until recently. Sadly my last Nokia before getting my iphone this January was a PoS. I hope MS don't buy them though.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think there might be a chance Microsoft wants the Nokia-branded phones that use Windows Phone 7.0 to be a "pure" user experience, which means any phone carrier that sells these Nokia phones will have to allow incremental updates like Apple does with the iPhone.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
No it isn't.

Right.

Zune. Windows Phone 2007. Kin. Bing. More Windows and Office. HP Slate (and like 5 other tablets he demo'd that no one bought.) Ballmer's graceful dancing. Decrease in share value of ~57% in 10 years. Microsoft Stores.

Totally visionary.
rofl2.gif

MS is the biggest (literally) tech joke of the last decade. And it's getting funnier by the week.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
MS is the biggest (literally) tech joke of the last decade. And it's getting funnier by the week.
Riiiighhhhttt

They're laughing all the way to the bank :rolleyes:

Since when is making billions and billions turns into the biggest tech joke of the last decade. :rolleyes:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm always baffled. Where did the Skype $8.5bn go?

To the stockholders.

When you buy a car, who gets the money ? Same deal when you buy a company. The current owners gets money from the future owner. Economics 101...

Even non-publicly traded companies have "stockholders", aka owners. No company owns itself.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Riiiighhhhttt

They're laughing all the way to the bank :rolleyes:

Since when is making billions and billions turns into the biggest tech joke of the last decade. :rolleyes:

It bears repeating but Windows 7 is the best OS MS have released and even my Mac using friends were impressed with it. I can't really comment on OSX it looks nice and seems to work smoothly - the last Apple I had was the family Apple IIe back in the day. (Came here to find iPhone info).

Office is very strong as well. Pretty good product IMHO.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It bears repeating but Windows 7 is the best OS MS have released and even my Mac using friends were impressed with it. I can't really comment on OSX it looks nice and seems to work smoothly - the last Apple I had was the family Apple IIe back in the day. (Came here to find iPhone info).

Office is very strong as well. Pretty good product IMHO.

*LTD* is in refusal to believe anyone except Apple has the ability to make decent products, sometimes, better than the Apple equivalents (take a look at iWork and Office for example, Office is clearly the best, but iWork isn't bad for some DP). Especially when said product comes from Microsoft or Google.

He also appears to be think that Microsoft will see a decline in the coming years. :confused:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

People do buy nokias they may not make great smartphone software, but if you are just wanting a phone you can't go wrong with Nokia. Also, their smartphone hardware isn't bad, put windows phone 7 on there and you could have a good phone. I don't think it is a good idea still, they would be better off with their partnership.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He also appears to be think that Microsoft will see a decline in the coming years. :confused:

One thing is for sure, MS cannot just rely on its cash cows forever, i.e., windows and Office. That said, it appears that the win 7 phones are very good, just not gaining traction at the moment. With the Nokia deal, I think 2012 will start showing positive numbers for win7 phones.

AAPLaday

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Should add that Nokia have denied this rumour. Mark Squires, UK Nokia PR -

We typically don't comment on rumors. But we have to say that Eldar's rumours are getting obviously less accurate with every passing moment.

Probably for the best as i cant see WP7 running on a £30 phone as Nokia caters to the budget market in many regions, as well as their top end phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.