Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlu929s

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I am looking the buy a Macbook Air. I currently have access to an IPad 1 and a 17" Dell Workstation Notebook (aka the beast).

Here's what I'm looking for.

Mainly something I can take with me every day to work. Kind of how some people carry IPads around, although I can't seem to get much done on the IPad as I like my keyboard.

I run several online sites and I'm mainly going to use this over my lunch breaks at a coffee shop or something to code on my sites, very light image editing, browse the internet, post on social networking sites etc.

So I've read all the facts. The rumor is that the MBA is coming in June with a SB proc, but a suckier GPU. I'm currently seeing the 11" go on eBay for Sub $800 and can get it refurb through Apple for $850.

So, with my requirements above. Is it worth waiting or even paying the full premium or should I get one for cheap now?

Or wait awhile longer and the price comes down.

As you can see I have options to get my by. It's just that the IPad doesn't fully meet MY needs and my wife has overtaken it.

The Dell was a good thought when wanting a gaming PC, but that thing is heavy and huge and sucks to lug around.

That's why I'm thinking MBA.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
If you can wait, you should.

The current 11" MBA seems like it'll fulfill you needs just fine, but if you wait till the SB Model comes out, the current 11" will be $750 or less from Apple, and probably even less on eBay, etc...

Plus you'll also be able to see what else the 2011 model comes with - and based on your needs, the inferior GPU of the LV/ULV SB chip shouldn't make a difference - but Thunderbolt or more RAM standard, or a longer battery life may?

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
I bought one 2 weeks ago and I think you should wait.

Reason being as good as the current ones are, it would be great if I had a bit more CPU grunt.
If I wasn't doing 12 international flights in the next 8 weeks then I would have waited too.

I reckon I will lose around £300-400 between now and July if the new ones are released but it can't be helped.
Seems like we have similar usage patterns.
You will love it when you do go for it- I am sitting in my local cafe, updating my websites over my iPhones mobile hotspot connection.
I tried doing with with a 3G iPad but I also prefer my keyboard.

Are you thinking of the 11 or the 13?
Again, if it wasn't for the fact that I am flying a lot I would have gone for the 13.

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
At this point I would def wait to see what this refresh will bring. You will also find better deals on 2010 models when new ones hit the shelf

rlu929s

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I will probably go for the 11" model, so it's that more portable. I going to run up to Best Buy and play around with them today and make a decision on size.

But I will for sure wait until June to see what happens with the said rumor. If it doesn't happen are we looking at probably Sep/Oct?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Another "If you need one now, buy one now."

However, new Apple computers are their best "value" on release day as the prices generally stay the same and the technology ages. However, the best overall value is a refurb or clearance older model soon after a new model is released.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Buy now based on price and need.

Right now a nice used base 11 is $800 or so,
it would drop to 650-700 once the gotta upgraders
start dumping them over the next couple months.

So if you do decide to upgrade it will cost $100-$150 to have one now.

The current one sounds fine for your needs but it also does not seem you need one right now,
Waiting gives more choices.

mush10

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I am in the same spot. I am waiting only because we are so close. I was at the Apple store today and was tempted to just get one, but I do not think it makes much sense not to wait. I am not as concerned about the processor for my needs as what are the other upgrade factors (RAM, Keyboard, Ports). I may very well decide to go with the price dropped C2Duo after the Sandy Bridge, but I at least want to have some options as painful as it is.

Macalaka

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Charlotte, NC
If you don't absolutely need it within the next 30-60 days, I would wait.
Back to School promo will be cranked up and so will the new SB MBA's.
Wait it out if you can. If you absolutely need it business wise, do what you have to do.

rlu929s

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Thanks for the tips. I was in Best Buy today and looked at them and played around with the the 11" and 13". Pulling up the same programs etc...yeah the 13" does have a little more real-estate, but when you fold them up and carry them...the 11" is so much easier. It's almost like an 11" feels like a IPad where the 13" actually feels like I"m lugging around a notebook PC.

My plan is with the poster above. I might end up getting a C2D version, but I'll wait a few more months until something else happens and hopefully I might pick up a 64GB 11" with 4GB RAM around $600 or so (wishful thinking)?

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Thanks for the tips. I was in Best Buy today and looked at them and played around with the the 11" and 13". Pulling up the same programs etc...yeah the 13" does have a little more real-estate, but when you fold them up and carry them...the 11" is so much easier. It's almost like an 11" feels like a IPad where the 13" actually feels like I"m lugging around a notebook PC.

My plan is with the poster above. I might end up getting a C2D version, but I'll wait a few more months until something else happens and hopefully I might pick up a 64GB 11" with 4GB RAM around $600 or so (wishful thinking)?

Kinda, they are $929 +tax now in the refurb store:eek:

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
Wait

At this stage, it is wiser to wait. The Sandy Bridge update is only a few weeks away, and the MBP tests showed a significant speed bump when that update came to them.

However, don't expect a backlit keyboard or longer battery life. It's too soon for that to improve.

southnc

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Definitely WAIT if you can - the current MBA C2D CPU is already TWO generations behind. So, movement to the new SandyBridge / Thunderbolt configuration should be a very big deal.

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Uhm...
If waiting is always the bets choice.
Core2duo with NVidia 320m is just... amazing
If you will do at least some gaming, dont expect much from the SB, and seeing how sony might fragment thunderbolt. The future of it looks very dim.
Buy what suits your needs.
Also, SB will be hot, not "hot" as in "sexy" but "hot" as in literal "hot"

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The bigger question is what if there is no macbook air update in June/July?

Than what do you do?

MBA updates have been very sporadic.

But I do agree since we may be within 30-60 days of an update, to just wait it out.

If there are no updates by July and you really want one, go the refurb route to get the best value.

As for those of us current generation owner. The MBA air (I have the 13 inch 4GB RAM model) is amazing. It's fast, battery life is outstanding on the 13 inch. I get 6-7 hours consistently between full charges.

For basic tasks (word processing, internet, email)...basically what 80% of what NORMAL people do everyday, I doubt the SandyBridge update will dramatically improve performance.

Maybe those who intend to use more CPU intensive tasks will see improved performance with the update...but I have my core i7 iMac for those tasks.

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
I personally use my laptop for mostly streaming videos, downloading videos, browsing the internet, basic photo editing with photoshop and wrtting documents. From what I've gathered from most posts so far is that the HD3000 will be either on par or slightly worse than the 320. How much will this affect watching movies and streaming/downloading HD movies from the internet? Im not in any rush to by so I can wait. Which would be the better choice?

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
WWDC is in a couple of weeks. I would wait until at least until then--there might be some kind of announcement about the latest Mac releases in mentioning the surge in sales, and they might talk about a Air spec bump at that point.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Wait if you want a dual-purpose computer and frying pan. SB thermals are peaky with turbo-boost, which will probably kick in a lot with any graphics intensive program.

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
Yeah i think I will wait, luckily for me I have that convenience. If they do decide to go with the ULV chips just announced then I would think that the 13 inch will have a seperate GPU chip seeing as its only 17W. But it does seem unlickly that they would have a discrete GPU in the 13 inch and not in the 11 inch as it is pretty much impossible without raising the TDP too high. Im assuming theyll go with the 25W LV chips instead.

It will be interesting to see how it matches up against the current gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.