PDA

View Full Version : Apple Issues Statement on Foxconn Factory Explosion, Investigation in Progress

MacRumors
May 20, 2011, 04:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/20/apple-issues-statement-on-foxconn-factory-explosion-investigation-in-progress/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/foxconn_banner.jpg

All Things Digital has obtained a statement from Apple (http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110520/apple-says-working-with-foxconn-to-explore-cause-of-china-explosion/) on the explosion (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/20/explosion-reported-at-foxconns-ipad-production-plant-in-chengdu-china/) at manufacturing partner Foxconn's facilities in Chengdu, China where the iPad 2 is manufactured. In the statement, Apple expresses sympathy to those affected by the event and notes that it is working with Foxconn to address the cause of the explosion."We are deeply saddened by the tragedy at Foxconn's plant in Chengdu, and our hearts go out to the victims and their families," Apple said in a statement provided to AllThingsD. "We are working closely with Foxconn to understand what caused this terrible event."

Apple declined to say what the impact to production might be, or comment beyond the statement.Authorities in Chengdu have confirmed that two people were killed in the blast, with at least sixteen other injured. According to reports, Foxconn chairman Terry Gou is flying to Chengdu (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-20/foxconn-chairman-gou-flying-to-chengdu-economic-observer-says.html) today, presumably to personally view the damage and oversee the company's efforts to determine the cause and aid those affected by the blast.

Article Link: Apple Issues Statement on Foxconn Factory Explosion, Investigation in Progress (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/20/apple-issues-statement-on-foxconn-factory-explosion-investigation-in-progress/)

campingsk8er
May 20, 2011, 04:28 PM
the last thing we need to worry about right now is production delays, ipads are replaceable, lives are not

KPOM
May 20, 2011, 04:33 PM
A quick response from Apple.

Eddyisgreat
May 20, 2011, 04:36 PM
the last thing we need to worry about right now is production delays, ipads are replaceable, lives are not

You're right. Infact, Apple shouldn't have said anything at all. :rolleyes:

bitWrangler
May 20, 2011, 04:37 PM
Sorry to be a bit pedantic here but:

"and notes that it is working with Foxconn to address the cause of the explosion."

makes it sound like they know what the cause is and they're working to do something about it. The quote by Apple is more clear:

"We are working closely with Foxconn to understand what caused this terrible event."

A very unfortunate event indeed, esp given the history of the company.

dannyp1996
May 20, 2011, 04:38 PM
I definitely respect Apple for their quick response. Their long term plan however, we'll have to wait and see...

ericinboston
May 20, 2011, 04:41 PM
Is Foxconn the only company manufacturing the iPads?...or do they do 90% of the production? Anyone have any knowledge?

Of course lives are more important than products...however...would be interesting to understand POSSIBLY how this will affect the iPad's availability.

jusacruiser
May 20, 2011, 04:49 PM
Yes, our hearts go out to those and their families who have been impacted by this cowardly act. Unfortunately, there are those who want to tear down successful free market capitalism.

PorterRocks
May 20, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'm glad to hear Apple's response to this tragic event. As unfortunate as this is, there are those who will be more concerned with Apple's production numbers, specifically, stockholders and fanboi's. :rolleyes:

ciTiger
May 20, 2011, 05:02 PM
Let's see how this pans out..

Consultant
May 20, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hope they can make some safety improvement.

But considering Foxconn employees over 1 million people, this kind of accident rate is actually quite low in terms of statistics.

Lesser Evets
May 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
The graphic seems inappropriately heavenly.

Caharin
May 20, 2011, 05:24 PM
The graphic seems inappropriately heavenly.

I just lol'd, and that doesn't happen very often.

I must be a sick man.

cooldaddybeck
May 20, 2011, 05:24 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/foxconn_banner.jpg

People who work there are so happy!

Nomadski
May 20, 2011, 05:28 PM
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/foxconn_banner.jpg)

And so diverse!

gkarris
May 20, 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm glad to hear Apple's response to this tragic event. As unfortunate as this is, there are those who will be more concerned with Apple's production numbers, specifically, stockholders and fanboi's. :rolleyes:

And of course, a lot of posts with "rolleyes"... :eek:

cooldaddybeck
May 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
And so diverse!

I like the token honkey....is he just a huge Twilight fan or does the sun never shine in China?

bit density
May 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
\

So, since apple and disney are now best of friends. Are the three people to the right actually a "hidden Mickey"?

ouimetnick
May 20, 2011, 06:26 PM
Apple says the same thing all the time.. We are deeply saddened... bla bla. As for this Terry Gou, and Apple, they probably don't care. These chinese workers are treated like slaves.... well they do care... about the money.

Its sad to lose a loved one. And I feel sorry for these injured people, and the families that lost a member today.

But I doubt Apple or Terry care. They care about MONEY!

wackymacky
May 20, 2011, 06:44 PM
I like the token honkey....is he just a huge Twilight fan or does the sun never shine in China?

No, he just works indoors, 16h a day, 7 days a week, making us our little shiny playthings, for $1 and hour. (Thanks, mate!)

louis Fashion
May 20, 2011, 06:50 PM

Dude. Remember film? As in used to take pictures with a camera on film?

Well it is said, you could develop film in China just by unrolling the film canister and waving it out the window. In short, no, not much sunshine in China.

pflau
May 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
I bet it's the same Chinese mafia who's been sending people to all the Apple stores to snatch up all the iPads to sell in the gray market.

InsanelyApple
May 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
They were clearly making the new iBomb and they were testing it. Apple will sell it to the US Military. Here is a screenshot for it.
http://imageshack.us/m/600/5504/ibomb.png
(Black at first. White eight months later.)

But seriously now. It is sad that this happened, but I don't see why Apple even commented about this. They are just a customer. It would be like if a cashier got shot at my local Wal-Mart and people got upset I didn't say anything because I shop there everyday.

flopticalcube
May 20, 2011, 07:27 PM
It is sad that this happened, but I don't see why Apple even commented about this. They are just a customer. It would be like if a cashier got shot at my local Wal-Mart and people got upset I didn't say anything because I shop there everyday.

Foxconn is a supplier and the disruption could materially affect Apple's bottom line, so they have a duty to inform shareholders.

InsanelyApple
May 20, 2011, 07:29 PM
Foxconn is a supplier and the disruption could materially affect Apple's bottom line, so they have a duty to inform shareholders.

Hmm... I see now. So Apple probably told this statement to their stockholders and of course they all went on the internet and posted what Apple said? I see now.

thermodynamic
May 20, 2011, 07:30 PM

In our world, yes, but we see lives and freedom in rather different ways...

In China, Foxconn is mandating employees sign "no-suicide pacts". Are conditions so hideous - yeah, hideous - that the employees must sign such a draconian form?!

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/blogs/press-here/Foxconn-Forces-Employees-to-Sign-No-Suicide-Pact-121396179.html

(I wish the media would stop making Foxconn look Apple-centric. They make gear for HP, Dell, and others as well.)

Laird Knox
May 20, 2011, 07:32 PM
Apple says the same thing all the time.. We are deeply saddened... bla bla. As for this Terry Gou, and Apple, they probably don't care. These chinese workers are treated like slaves.... well they do care... about the money.

Its sad to lose a loved one. And I feel sorry for these injured people, and the families that lost a member today.

Yes, yes we get it - Apple is evil.

So what is your take on the more than 4000 workers that die on the job every year in the US?

flopticalcube
May 20, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hmm... I see now. So Apple probably told this statement to their stockholders and of course they all went on the internet and posted what Apple said? I see now.

Not necessarily. All Apple has to do is issue a statement to the media. It is assumed that this info will be disseminated to the general public. If after investigation this is indeed found to affect Apple materially, they MUST inform the public.

InsanelyApple
May 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
Not necessarily. All Apple has to do is issue a statement to the media. It is assumed that this info will be disseminated to the general public. If after investigation this is indeed found to affect Apple materially, they MUST inform the public.

Ok. I don't know much about the workings of businesses, so sorry if I sound(ed) stupid. So they are covering their asses before it is found out that this affected their business or people complain that this affected their stock

flopticalcube
May 20, 2011, 07:41 PM
Ok. I don't know much about the workings of businesses, so sorry if I sound(ed) stupid. So they are covering their asses before it is found out that this affected their business or people complain that this affected their stock

The workings of large corporations are a mystery to most. They are likely covering their asses while at the same time doing the corporate sympathy thing. It's to be expected and completely mechanical in nature.

InsanelyApple
May 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
The workings of large corporations are a mystery to most. They are likely covering their asses while at the same time doing the corporate sympathy thing. It's to be expected and completely mechanical in nature.

Okay. (Yippie, I finally got it. I'm a high school computer geek, not a business man or a lawyer, so I'm glad I got it. :p)

carlgo
May 20, 2011, 07:47 PM
Yes, our hearts go out to those and their families who have been impacted by this cowardly act. Unfortunately, there are those who want to tear down successful free market capitalism.

Cowardly act? You know something we don't? I had guessed it was simple unsafe working conditions to save money.

Was it instead the act of a disgruntled employee? Foxcon wants to spin it to some sort of political terrorism so that Foxcon looks like a victim, rather than at fault?

carlgo
May 20, 2011, 08:03 PM
Yes, yes we get it - Apple is evil.

So what is your take on the more than 4000 workers that die on the job every year in the US?

Not like the 83,196 in China.

Approximately 14 workers are killed per day in the US, 228 in China.

These are 2008 stats, I would guess pretty close today.

So, Foxcon's talking points are false once again! The death stats are as worthless as the talk of $5000 iMacs.

Not many of us think Apple is evil, just that the company could do more at home.

Laird Knox
May 20, 2011, 08:12 PM

So, Foxcon's talking points are false once again! The death stats are as worthless as the talk of $5000 iMacs.

Not many of us think Apple is evil, just that the company could do more at home.

Yes I agree the stats as stated and used in this thread are pointless. I was just throwing a counterpoint to some nut job blaming Apple's greed for the explosion.

RafaelT
May 20, 2011, 08:20 PM

Before you throw out that big number.... how many people in the US work in jobs that are more likely to result in injury or death (manufacturing, mining, etc vs office work) vs those in china... given that almost all of our manufacturing is now over there I would say it is a lot less here. You need to go off percentage to keep those numbers in perspective. ... Pretty sure they also have a couple more people in their country then we do here.. which again would boost the number.

wickedking94
May 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
Its quite obvious RIM wasn't happy about how much the blackberry playbook sucks, so they decided to take out the competition.

insider-man
May 20, 2011, 11:22 PM
In our world, yes, but we see lives and freedom in rather different ways...

In China, Foxconn is mandating employees sign "no-suicide pacts". Are conditions so hideous - yeah, hideous - that the employees must sign such a draconian form?!

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/blogs/press-here/Foxconn-Forces-Employees-to-Sign-No-Suicide-Pact-121396179.html

(I wish the media would stop making Foxconn look Apple-centric. They make gear for HP, Dell, and others as well.)

Hideous?! - there is nothing as hideous about the conditions as the media try to make out.

If most people knew the reality at these places you might just be surprised.

.... before anyone asks yes I know the situation and details and no I won't be commenting further, particularly given the loss of life.

:apple:

gnasher729
May 21, 2011, 02:49 AM
IIn China, Foxconn is mandating employees sign "no-suicide pacts". Are conditions so hideous - yeah, hideous - that the employees must sign such a draconian form?!

There have been some suicides at Foxconn in the past. Much less than the average number of suicides in a similar number of US citizens, but enough to get media attention. Especially since Foxconn, who produces devices for just about everybody, is "the Apple factory". So Foxconn took action to reduce the number of suicides. Surely a good thing. People committing suicide act irrationally. And some of them will be influenced by signing such a contract. There have been plenty of cases reported now in the western world were random people made "suicide pacts" on the internet and went through with it - if suicide pacts "work", then I suppose "no-suicide pacts" will work as well.

And please explain what is "draconian" about this? If you are a person who thinks that signing might hinder you in doing something that you might want to do, then you are exactly the person who should sign this.

MorphingDragon
May 21, 2011, 03:25 AM
There have been some suicides at Foxconn in the past. Much less than the average number of suicides in a similar number of US citizens, but enough to get media attention. Especially since Foxconn, who produces devices for just about everybody, is "the Apple factory". So Foxconn took action to reduce the number of suicides. Surely a good thing. People committing suicide act irrationally. And some of them will be influenced by signing such a contract. There have been plenty of cases reported now in the western world were random people made "suicide pacts" on the internet and went through with it - if suicide pacts "work", then I suppose "no-suicide pacts" will work as well.

And please explain what is "draconian" about this? If you are a person who thinks that signing might hinder you in doing something that you might want to do, then you are exactly the person who should sign this.

China also has considerably different views on suicide than we do too. The contract might simply be a form of propaganda to reinforce views that suicide is dishonorable (The western view) instead of the more traditional eastern view.

OllyW
May 21, 2011, 03:43 AM

What are they going to do if they break the pact? :confused:

MorphingDragon
May 21, 2011, 04:00 AM

Reanimate their bodies and poke them with a stick.

Popeye206
May 21, 2011, 04:48 AM

Wow... You're distorted. Sick that people use these sorts of tragic events to make assumptions and accusations abut people and companies when they have no clue.

I just hope they can figure out what the problem or events were that caused this explosion so that it doesn't happen again.

Ferry888
May 21, 2011, 10:23 AM
This isn't the 1st time something terrible happens at a Foxconn factory, they need to get their act together.

Michaelgtrusa
May 21, 2011, 02:14 PM
It's all about the money. These things happen.

iphonepiephone
May 21, 2011, 02:18 PM

Imagine it was one of YOUR family! "These things happen" wouldn't be so easy to say then, would it?

bruinsrme
May 21, 2011, 02:21 PM

Agree. Apple has to say to how horrible the situation is.
And as that statement is released, in the room next door, there is a bunch of bean counters and directors coming up with multiple scenarios on how to minimize impact to revenues and keep units flowing in the supply chains.

coolpal
May 21, 2011, 02:47 PM
I hope this high interest of media in everything related to Apple is helping make these poor workers life a little less miserable.

EDIT: What I really meant was this high media exposure for such accidents is actually helping these workers life less dangerous and more humane.... I wasn't sure my earlier statement came across like that.

Are you sure they work there.. I see people who look like Indians and I thought only Chinese worked there.

devilstrider
May 21, 2011, 06:53 PM

And so diverse!

Man you guys have my ribs hurting.

patp
May 21, 2011, 07:01 PM
the level of intelligence and civility has gone downhill in all Macrumors forums.

Sad but true. Topics I never imagined people would argue over, get argued and stretched out to 10+ pages.

This place has really "grown".

jbachandouris
May 21, 2011, 07:31 PM
And why is it that only tech websites are reporting it? I have heard nothing on the mainstream news. No one at Best Buy knew anything (big surprise). The people at the Apple Store also claimed not to have heard of this. Quite surprising and annoying at the same time.

Koham
May 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
I thought foxconn was a chinese company. Why are there so many Indians on the photo?

mack pro
May 22, 2011, 11:41 AM
I thought foxconn was a chinese company. Why are there so many Indians on the photo?

I was wondering the same thing. In other news Apple has moved ipad2 production to the Foxconn parking lot to keep up with demand.:D

bruinsrme
May 22, 2011, 11:53 AM
And why is it that only tech websites are reporting it? I have heard nothing on the mainstream news. No one at Best Buy knew anything (big surprise). The people at the Apple Store also claimed not to have heard of this. Quite surprising and annoying at the same time.

Because it's not overly newsworthy.
Personally I wouldn't expect employees at either BB or apple to know or care about what happened.
Now I am sure at the corporate levels it's a different story?

pmz
May 22, 2011, 12:06 PM

I came into this thread solely to find the first person to throw the T-word assumption out there. Just keeping track of how deluded the mainstream media has made you all.

Communism in your soup. Just remember that.

pmz
May 22, 2011, 12:09 PM

Well for starters, not give due compensation to the family.

jonnysods
May 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

This is so sad. I couldnt imagine the pain for these families.

iPad production - who cares?

caspersoong
May 27, 2011, 07:02 AM
Apple's statement is too abrupt IMO